Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

mets to lung

Options

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    Options

Gotcha irish, you're headed in the right direction. Good luck with treatment today, sending strenght and positives vibes. Hugs

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    Options

Irishlove. Glad to hear you are improving. I will be 6 months in July. My initial cat scan showed lung damage or inflammation and pleural thickening. The heavy smoke we had from Canada when it was in the dangerous level and the high pollen count has made my chest tight. Better today because it is raining. I am hoping he will order one soon. I would just like to know how much is permanent and how much has reversed. My tumor markers were in the normal range last month which is a good sign.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 484
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi Cookie and Brutersmom, Thank you gals for responding. I saw the MO today and he considers my improvement a "Miracle". His words… Wow. So on to pet scan in August and then radiation.

Cross posted: Tonight I checked for a UTI (get a lot of them courtesy of MS) and it was really positive. Any idea if I need to stop Ibrance while taking Cephalexin, generic for Keflex? I hope not. Cross posted on Ibrance thread.

• brutersmom
    Options

I would ask my care

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

@irishlove -congratulations on “miracle” results from treatment. Hope the PET scan has even more great news.

🎉🎉🎉

• irishlove
    Options

@dodgersgirl Thank you so much. I'm afraid to cheer too much as I know this is for today.

@brutersmom The care team finally called and for others who may ask, the MO's office said it is OK to take both cephalexan for UTI and IBRANCE at same time.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

I have frequently used the drug interactions checker on drugs.com. Would be interesting to check that against MO

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 429
    Options

YAY IRISH. When i was on ibrance the manufacturer had a nurse they wanted me to call about any supplement or med I was considering adding.

Looks like my MO will be happy too when I see him Tuesday. My ct scan results posted today and reads:

Stable lobulated 10 mm nodule in the superior segment of the right lower
    lobe. (6 yrs old) Stable appearance of several additional punctate pulmonary nodules. (2+ yrs old). YAY!!!

So I don't know what my coughing is about. Don't feel any post nasal drip or acid reflux. I do have known issues with thyroid which typically is not included in ct scan. Also I've been staying indoors due to air quality. Was out one morning. Then sore throat that evening. Jaw still isn't opening all the way.

So I'm good enough.

• brutersmom
    edited June 2023
    Options

Gailmary were you in the area cover by the smoke from Canadian wild fires. I had to ring in sa large order from chewy the day it rolled. Cat litter was on sale😺. I have had a weird shortness of breath and cough since then but my lungs are clear. I have allergies to and our polenta count is high as well.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Gailmary, are you keeping a "log" of your coughing issues? I try to do that, because when they ask "How long has this been happening?" you can tell them. For me, it's hard to remember - like, "I don't know. A few weeks? Months?"

I've been dealing with esophageal spasms and am keeping detailed notes so that I can report it to the pulmonologist and the GI doc when I have my appointments.

Another comment: I couldn't get in to see the GI doc until September. I tried to get in earlier but since I was a "new" patient with them, they wouldn't see me earlier without a "Stat" or "Urgent" referral. When I started coughing and vomiting after taking my morning meds I called my MO and got an "Urgent" referral. I now have an video visit next week.

I'm OK with the video visit with the PA and will give her my list of everything that's been happening. I'll see the pulmonologist on Monday. Hoping to get some answers.

Carol

• gailmary
    Options

Hi everyone. Just back from MO. He thinks sore throat and cough are related to Canadian smoke. Very bad here today. Thyroid looks good but I do have low thyroid which could cause cough too. Now he's not sure the lung nodules are cancer. Tumor markers have stayed low. So how many nodes are normal??? I've got " several". Could only guess at a dozen. "nobody counts". Suggests I see oral surgeon. Could be tmj disorder. Ugh!

At least I'm not real miserable.

• sunshine99
    Options

gailmary, it's so frustrating to not have any "real" answers. "It could be this, but it might be that, or possibly it's something else."

Sheesh! I'm glad you're not miserable…

• brutersmom
    Options

My husband had a ctscan a couple of weeks ago and his scan said calcified and non calcified nodes to numerous to count. They do not think his are cancerous. And yes that smoke is brutal. I could not breath outside when it hit our area.

• gailmary
    Options

Sunshine. Thanks so much. I kept a log briefly. I need to develop a habit. But I just remembered that last fall I started Paxil for anxiety... and it made my throat dry and I woke coughing at 4am and I'm constipated from it and Dr wouldn't change it!!! Doesn't explain the tmj though. The smoke might explain the sore throat.

Brutersmom, I never heard of those. Still learning something new daily. I hope your dh is doing well.

Smoke was worst in the nation here today. Could smell it slightly indoors.

Thanks ladies

Gailmary

• brutersmom
    Options

Gailmary, while we were under the cloud I follow airnow.gov airquality map. And yes the smoke finds a way tonget in the house. Mine came in through the bath room vent.

• brutersmom
    Options

Gailmary. I just saw an alert the we are back in the red zone from the wildfires. Wondered why it was so hazy like it was misting but no moisture o. The windshield.

• sunshine99
    Options

Wildfires are scary. We haven't had them in a while here in San Diego, but a few (?) years ago, we had our cars loaded up ready to evacuate. I just remembered that in 2007 I found my first lump. Wildfires broke out and we had friends staying with us since they had been evacuated. I got my first diagnosis soon after that.

• gailmary
    Options

I can't imagine the fear of a fire tearing through here. The loss and disruption to lives and homes and jobs to say little of the forests and wildlife etc. All those natural disasters. Like cancer.

I really can't complain except about the damn doc. 6 mo. Ago I questioned what those lung issues were mentioned on my ct report. Bronchiectasis. "I don't know half the time" BS. So such a mild case I blew it off. Lots of coughing with lots of phlegm. No phlegm here. So I guess that's it. He only concerns himself with cancer. Better than cancer.

I'm pretty anxious as bad lungs run in moms family.

Thanks for being here.

Gailmary

• brutersmom
    Options

Gailmary would a trip to you primary care physician be helpful. If there not cancer related per your mo maybe you should see your for non cancer issues.

• irishlove
    Options

Hi everyone. Reading about the smoke and obviously having lung concerns, is awful. Wanted to mention that my DB has a unknown lesion in his lung that has remained stable over 5 years now. He chose not to biopsy it. DS has what she described as a paw print on her lung scan. Doc told her he thought she may have had mild TB as a young child. So not all lesions are indeed cancer.

I'm trying to ready myself with info regarding radiation to the lungs (and bones, but I'll post that on Bones thread). Waiting on Pet scan first and I do not have a RO assigned to me as of yet. Anyone here that can answer a few questions before I begin treatment in August?

1. Do or can they radiate the pleural of the lung? That's my largest tumor location.

2. Would proton radiation be something to consider and what is the best if radiating near the heart? There is a specialized cancer center located near me, that offers this type of radiation. As I understand Medicare approves this. I'm on a Medicare Advantage Plan and I believe they follow standard Medicare protocols.

Anything else anyone can think of to help me be informed as possible, is so very much appreciated.

• brutersmom
    Options

Irishlove

I have cancer in my pleura. I was told they don't radiate that area. My tumor is also right behind the heart so maybe that is why. I have been fascinated by proton therapy and when I reach a point they tell me I need radiation. I am going to look into it. It is offered in the next city over about 30 miles from me. There have been a few times I have thought about getting a second opinion there to see if I like the facility. It is run by Penn Medicine out of Philadelphia and is highly rated. My doc is a temporary and really good. When he leaves I might do it. I have had a few other oncologist at my facility and nope won't use them.

• irishlove
    Options

@brutersmom Well hi gal. You always respond to my posts and I want to tell you how much that is truly appreciated. My sister in law goes to Penn for liver failure. She contracted Hep C from a blood transfusion after child birth 45 yrs. ago. She needs a transplant. We are waiting patiently as now the concerns are kidneys are also failing. She brags on about what a good facility it is. My largest pleural tumor is on the right side. On the left side is a small tumor in lung and tumors in medistinal lymp and mammary lymp. That concerns me about radiation and heart. Thanks again for responding.

• brutersmom
    Options

Penn Medicine has a really good reputation forba lot of things. I live about an hour Philly but not comfortable going into Philly any more. People are always shooting each other. My town is bad enough our hospital is constantly going on lock down security at every door. I am waiting to see my next scan. My Ca27 dropped super fast in 4 months my number was in the normal range. My first ctscan showed I have on tumor on the left side of my right lung and an area of pleural based nodularity. My second ctscan suggest mets in the lymphnodes between the lungs. Except for the side effects of letrozole I have done well. My doc prefers to wait until at least 6 months after treatment unless the CA #does not respond or goes back up. He said it gives more time for healing to take place and we go through enough stuff as it is. Scan just cause more stress. Most of these pages seem quiet. I think it is because notification are no longer easy to find and people don't check in as often. I found notifications in my profile and turned them on so I know when people post.

• irishlove
    Options

@brutersmom I know Philly pretty well. My hometown is Reading, and it has some serious crime issues, too. Family still lives there.

My MO either does not do CA #s or just doesn't discuss them with me. It may be because I really do not ask. It sounds that you are doing really well, and I'm so very happy to hear that! Our paths are pretty close being diagnosed with micropapillary and 2 months apart. Plus lung metasisis. Lets keep in touch.

• irishlove
    Options

• brutersmom
    edited June 2023
    Options

I grew up in York, PA. Went to Albright. Got a job out of college. Lived in Reading city until 97 when we built a house in Brecknock near the drag strip. Reading is not what it used to be.

• irishlove
    Options

@brutersmom My great uncle taught Spanish and Music at Albright. I was born in East Reading and moved to Spring Township, graduated from Wilson High. My old boyfriend use to race at Maple Grove back in the 1970's. Beautiful area. Just sad about Reading..

• sunshine99
    Options

Irish, I was thinking of applying for a job in Reading (a hundred years ago.) I was told it was pronounced "Redding." I've never forgotten that. I ended up taking my first job in Waterville, Maine, as a speech-language pathologist. I moved there from Loma Linda, CA (So. Cal) and was in Waterville for two years. I loved it there. So green in the summers!

I then moved to San Diego and have been here since 1984. Married DH (I refer to him as my first husband) in 1988 and we just celebrated 35 years. I think he's going to stick with me!

• gailmary
    Options

My sister was near Lancaster for almost 50 yrs. Moved to Boise last year.

I'm still near Milwaukee. Finally the smoke has cleared.

Brutersmom, about the bronchiectasis I mentioned. I have an ER doc that has recreational land across the street. He's happy to answer questions. Says that the bronchiectasis is lifetime lung damage from air pollution. Not to worry. It's mild. Trust your MO. Lots of static on images and don't base diagnosis on imaging alone. I should have asked earlier.

• brutersmom
    Options

Gailmary. Thatv sounds encouraging. I am meeting my brother and siste-in-law late afternoon over at Lancaster for an early dinner. They live in York. I live outside of Reading in Mohnton. We back in the red/orange her but we have storms coming from the west pushing the smoke east. Hopefully it will be gone soon.