Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

mets to lung

Options

Comments

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 886
    Options

@divinemrsm I am sorry. I can't help you. Did the NP explain anything? Would you be able to call and speak to the oncologist for a better understanding?

• mswife
    mswife Member Posts: 66
    Options

lymph nodes can be enlarged for a variety of reasons, the vast majority are not related to cancer. this could be related to your pulmonary embolism. Reactive means secondary to any recent virus, environmental exposure etc.

Having said that, a size greater than 1 cm would be closely monitored and perhaps biopsied if it got any bigger or didn’t shrink in size on subsequent scans. I doubt you’re looking at a treatment change based on this scan result alone.

please keep us updated.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 871
    edited February 14
    Options

To add to mswife's good information it is not a common SE but Xeloda can cause enlarged lymph nodes.

https://www.pneumotox.com/drug/view/615/capecitabine

I don't have mbc (lung problems due to radiation) and I had the same thing show up on a CT. My pulmonologist thought it was due to my deviated trachea and severe cough irritating the node. He increased my steroid inhaler dose and while the lymph node is still enlarged it has been stable for a year. Hopefully yours will remain stable or shrink.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,018
    edited February 14
    Options

Thank you, brutersmom, mswife and maggie15, for your replies; they are calming. My oncologist appt. is in 12 days and I will get more information then. It helps to know what others’ experience has been. I’ve been scanning every four months, but the NP told me I could get them again two months from now, which I plan to do. I will let you know what the onc says after I see her.

• asole
    asole Member Posts: 4
    Options

Stage IV ER/PR+ and HER2+ did TAXOL HP and had a few NEAD scans, three months ago a small 1 cm tumor popped up SUV 2.4 and 3 months later (now) it is still 1 cm tumor SUV 3.2. It is in my lung but very close to my heart thus biopsy due to location and size of tumor is unlikely. I got sent to Radiology after my last scan and they recommend a wait and monitor until this scan. I figured I was in line for SBRT radiation. Oncology is now wanting to take me to the tumor board because a paper indicates the breast cancer and SBRT doesn't really change the outcome in that I would just need to change systemic treatment. I'm so confused obviously as Stage IV the outcome is the outcome but I figured SBRT would delay the change in systemic treatment.

Any advice?

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 677
    Options

@asole Hi, Sorry you now are dealing with this new mass. I had SBRT to a met on my lung not responding to systemic treatment. I am Stage IV also but had low disease burden (less than 5 mets) so RO said lets do it. However I have also read the same that late stage rads doesn't alter the outcome. Everyone's situation is different so I feel like it should be decided as to what your cancer is doing at the time. MO must feel like this change is enough for him/her to say lets move on to the next drug. I can understand that because the hope is to prevent anything else popping up. My MO has told me depending on the percent of changes in my cancer is when she will move on to the next drug. I think it's a great idea to review at tumor board so they can get all opinions weighing in.Is the concern that this mass is close to the heart? RO is always cautious when using Rads near the heart.

Best wishes on this decision, please keep us posted. Sending good vibes and strength your way.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 871
    edited March 14
    Options

Hi @asole, Since there is only one tumor SBRT may be an option but, as cookie54 said, the location close to the heart could be a problem. Here is a recent paper which discusses the topic of pulmonary oligo metastasis.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1053429622000790

Referring your case to the tumor board is a good idea. My pulmonologist is of the opinion that if there are questions regarding pulmonary radiation consulting a lung cancer radiologist can be helpful.

I hope things work out well for you.

• brutersmom
    Options

@asole I know when I was first diagnosed with mets to the lung. The only tumor in my lung was very close to my heart in the right lung and radiation was not an option at least at the hospital I am at. I learner later some one was referred to another hospital for sterostactic radiation. Is this an option?

• asole
    Options

Yes, that is the type of radiation the radiology talked to me about three months ago. It’s hard bc my oncologist is 60 miles north so they farm out their radiology services to a different cancer clinic in my town so I’m kinda feel like I’m playing telephone.

• asole
    Options

Thank you for your insight. Did SBRT help with you met? I literally have just this met that is showing activity. Yeah the RO was like let’s wait and see for this pet to confirm it is cancer growth but he didn’t rule out SBRT bc of proximity to heart just wanted to be for sure we were dealing with cancer growth.

Im extremely young (40) have a small child at home so really just trying to stay on line one with minimal side effects as long as possible. I know in the end of course I will have to move to second line treatment but I would prefer to use all options before making the jump.

i also sometimes feel my MO relies completely on the tumor board for all my medical decisions which I know in my head is probably a good thing but I have the patience of a toddler.

• cookie54
    Options

@asole Yes I am happy to say the SBRT was successful so as of last month's CT I am NEAD. I understand where you're coming from we are just trying to go toe to toe with the disease. I feel like ok, something pops up and we knock it down! I too feel concerned at times that I don't want to run through my list of drug options to quick. I have been blessed that my current therapy is keeping my cancer under control. As I always say I want to ride the wave as long as possible! So far this wave will be two years in July.

Eh I wouldn't want to feel like my MO is ''relying" on tumor board for decisions either, it possibly just looks that way.? It is a great quality of an MO to reach out to others and not be too proud to do so. As the old saying goes two heads are better than one and in many scenarios it's needed. I also feel like if you have ANY doubts on your MO seek a second opinion. It won't interrupt what your doing now and any good MO would not take it personal. MY MO actually had mentioned to me in passing that there was a fabulous MO who specialized in TNBC and does lots of research on it and it might not be a bad idea to consult with her also. So I did and they both collaborated on my current plan. It is so hard to sit and wait, but don't we all have the patience of a toddler when it comes to OUR lives we're fighting for!

Your are young and I can't imagine the emotions you deal with daily, it's hard! I was diagnosed at 50 so my kids were teenagers and I found that hard trying to keep my household "normal".

Sorry it's kinda long sometimes my fingers can't keep up with my brain lol. We are all here for you and wish you peace with this crossroad.

• asole
    Options

Thank you for responding. My case has always been complex and it is either complex or veey boring so that is probably why I feel she relies on tumor board. I was also 17 weeks pregnant when I went to stage IV and my previous oncologist who was just monitoring me handed me off to her bc he was moving to a different focus.

During initial diagnosis through pregnancy I did consult with another MO from a cancer hospital unfortunately in the last year she move to a different practice and I failed to see if I could be transferred to someone else. You know when the ocean is smooth you just sail and then went gets rocky you go oh crap and scramble.

Again thanks for responding I often feel so alone in the vast ocean of cancer land

• cookie54
    Options

@asole Sheesh your have had your share of rough seas! Agree this can be a very lonely disease at times and that is why I really enjoy chatting here. Let's face it unless your in the boat you don't truly feel the rough waters! Have a good day🌷

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 478
    Options

Hi everyone. I rec'd my pet scan for soft tissue in my portal today. The wonderful word "resolved" showed for my lungs!! Still dealing with bones, but nice improvement there also. Hoping for resolved words in your very near future.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited March 17
    Options

@irishlove that is FABULOUS news! Thank you for sharing 😍

@asole we’re so sorry for all you are going through! We’re glad you found us here. We also have a virtual support group every other Thursday for young women with MBC, if you would like to join !
    You’d need to register:

https://breastcancer-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqc-qvrj0oE9WdOqdK0-w_M7DB3bsUHKc2?os=ipad#/registration

We are here for you!

• brutersmom
    Options

I haven't been around much. Recovering from a knee replacement is like working a full time job. I finally made the decision to try a different cancer center. It is about 1/2 hour away but I hear so many positive things about it. It is affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania. My neighbors son does clinical trials at MD Anderson. It is about a two hour drive. They used to be closer near Philadelphia but they closed it down. Hoping all goes better. I just keep watching my local hospital go down hill.

• moderators
    Options

We're glad you checked in, @brutersmom! And we hope your knee recovery is going as well as it can, we know that's a tough one to come back from. Sending positive thoughts out for a better experience for you at the new cancer center!

• cookie54
    Options

brutersmom Glad you had your knee replaced and I have heard the same from family and friends. The good news is once it's rehabbed they are all glad they did it.

Sorry to hear about your local hospital, change is hard especially in the cancer world. I am with HUP and Virtua/Penn since I'm in South Jersey. Just wanted to let you know I have had a good experience with them. I know you said new center is an affiliate so I'm hoping that they mimic HUP. Wishing you a positive experience as you start this change.

• fossf56
    fossf56 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Just found out this week after a biopsy that a node in my left lung is a BC recur, lymph node also affected and am having a biopsy on my right next week as there is an area of concern.

Seeing so many with quite a few years after MBC diagnosis is really helpful right now.

Sad to be here, but glad to see so much support.

• brutersmom
    Options

I am sorry you are here. I hope they can get the test done quickly. Do they have any plans yet for treatment.

• fossf56
    Options

Hi brutersmom,

No treatment plan yet, I had the left lung biopsy last week and my oncologist called on Tuesday morning with the news that it was MBC. Next week Thursday is the right, and will see my oncologist the following week when pathology is available for that and discuss the plan for treatment.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

fossf56, I'm sorry about the MBC diagnosis. I put a rush order on my coffin when I first heard the news about mine, but then was able to calm down a bit. I put a hold on the coffin order and started writing a blog instead. BTW, if you hear them use the word "palliative" treatment, please know that that is not the same as hospice. I had palliative radiation to my hip, and it REALLY helped the pain.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• moderators
    edited April 18
    Options

@sunshine99 thank you so much for bringing up the issue of "palliative care"!
    Indeed, too many people associate this only as combined with "hospice", which it is not. Palliative care is specialized medical care for people living with a serious illness. This type of care is focused on providing relief from the symptoms and stress of the illness. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family.

Sending gentle hugs to All 🤗

Your Mods

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

@moderators, thank you. This was one time that Dr. Google helped! I wish that the RO's nurse had explained that to me. I was too freaked out to ask when she told me I'd be getting palliative radiation.

• moderators
    Options

@sunshine99 So sorry you had to go through this! Doctors really need to learn to approach palliative care in a broader way.

• fossf56
    Options

@sunshine99 and mods, thank you. I definitely associated palliative with hospice.

When I told my husband that this is stage IV, he said not to rush to any conclusions (his mom passed away 3 years ago from stage IV peritoneal cancer). I'm hoping his healthcare is as good as mine was, I was laid off on April 3 and my healthcare ran out on the 15th, so am in an in between insurance phase which isn't helping my tension and stress. Trying to keep focusing on my job search and finishing a class. This forum is helping my stress more than I can say.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,775
    Options

fossf56,

Here’s the thing with stage IV that I’ve observed over the last dozen years. Overall, survival times have increased. So many treatments/drugs exist today that weren’t available a decade ago, which gives hope that even more and better treatments are in the pipeline. Lastly, no one has a crystal ball and bc is rather mysterious, still, in many ways.

I was dx’ed stage IV when my older dd was pregnant with my first grandchild. That child just turned 12 and I have two other grandchildren. Did I ever imagine this would be possible? No, according to historical data, which is never predictive, I should have passed long ago. And while I am fairly unique, I am not alone in long term survival. Of course, it would help to know why but that’s a whole other issue! Take it one day at a time as that’s all we can do. Take care

• brutersmom
    Options

@fossf56 I agree that drs should explained palative treatment better then they do. When I first was diagnosed and before it was confirmed, I had an ER Dr. Tell me I needed to get my affairs in order and I don't have a DNR so if I should stop breathing what should the do. Umm I don't know. I was at the gym last night and thought it was asthma flare. Got the diagnosis and when I finally saw the oncologists I was put on palative treatment. Read that on my chart. Like you I google it and learned that it was to control discomfort/pain. I am now NED (no evidence of disease). My new oncologist no longer lists it as palative care.

• moderators
    Options

Yes, @fossf56, so many often conflate "palliative care" with "hospice." Like @brutersmom touched on, it's likely that doctors are for some reason not explaining what is actually involved with palliative. It's unfortunate because adding palliative care to one's treatment can make it much more manageable, and allow one to engage in life more fully.

• bookworm14
    bookworm14 Member Posts: 80
    Options

I have a question you ladies may be able to answer. I had my CT scan on Tuesday (doctor still has not called to speak with me about it) and I had a new opacity present in January this year (one of many) that was 16x6mm and on the scan Tuesday it increased to 20x17mm. Is it normal for benign nodules or atelectasis to grow? I have been on a CT watch for two years due to multiple lung nodules popping up and such.
    just trying to get some feedback before the weekend as I am anxious. Thanks ladies