Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2012 Chemo

Options

Comments

• ymac16
    ymac16 Member Posts: 85
    Options

SherylR, the tea is Traditional Medicinals Organic Smooth Move - bought it at Whole Foods.

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644
    Options

Hi had chemo on Friday, it went well but Saturday morning got up and went into kitchen and my back went big time. They say it's not the shot in the tummy but I have pulled a muscle. I was bending to do the dishwasher the pain is very bad. Doctor came out and gave me strong painkillers so at least I can go to the bathroom in time. So I'm stuck in bed with terrible lower backache and I need a shower but can't face th pain I'm going to be in. My gp called me this morning as he must have heard from the out of hours docs. He was sweet and asked if I was ok.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    Options

Ali, I'm in the same boat. My back seized up during the Taxol.  They had to stop the taxol, give me 25 more mg of benadryl, and then slowly re-intro Taxol.  I'm very sore several days later and my sciatica is on me.

I need to get into yoga and am making an appointment with an accupuncturist to help with this.  It hurts like heck, but I want to figure out a way to cut back on this pain since I won't stop chemo.  Physical therapy helped me the most with my back so that's why I'm going for yoga.

We can be back buddies and get through this together. Remember, Advil, Ice and Rest. :-)  Then stretch.

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644
    Options

Hey this is so horrible my doc said I pulled a muscle but I have never had this before and last time I got pains in my legs. Also I'm getting the pain when I touch my skin like it's on fire. Have taken painkillers at 9am so I'm taking more now at 5pm.

Xx

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420
    Options

Ladies with the back pains ... so sorry about the muscle spasms, backs going out, pulled muscles etc. My husband has chronic back pain so I am familiar with it from that end. I have only had my back 'go out' once ... simply leaning over to pick up a brush. It had more to do with the traveling we were doing at the time and exertion of different types of muscle groups. I am hoping, for your sakes, that it really isn't drug related (I know it can be a side-effect) and that it is more related to just all the stress and strain and changes that you all have been going through. At least that way it will resolve and hopefully not keep repeating.

Hugs,

Diana

• dltnhm
    Options

Port Placement! I picked tomorrow. I am excited (silly me) but it will be one more thing to check off my list. And if I follow the doc's instructions regarding keeping it dry, not overexerting myself for 5 days, etc. then when my PS clears me for running, that port site will not be giving me issues either.

So tomorrow I have planned an all day at the hospital.

ECHO at 8:30

EKG following

Take a latte or a goodie up to my sister and her office mates in administration and hug, hug, hug!

VISIT: Nurse Navigator, MRI nurse, ICU nurse, Surgical Floor nurses, etc. and just give them all big hugs, thank you notes and whatever else I can gather together for taking such good care of me!

Noon check-in for Port

Blood Draws for Lab Work: CBC, CMP, and Estradial when they start the IV

1:00 Port Placement

3:00 Travel home

It should be quite a day!!!

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983
    Options

Hi Ladies

I met with my MO today and it's official.  My first treatment is February 17th.  Have a wig appointment.  My infusion is Taxatere/Procytox/Herceptin X 4, then just Herceptin alone for a year in total  From what I've been reading Procytox same as Cycotox.  I have my prescriptions for Percocet, Decadron and Zofran and a oral steroid to be taken before treatment (can't read the name LOL) Yowsa thats alot of drugs!

• gigborn
    gigborn Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hello everyone,

Well, today was the crying day.  First time I have cried in two months.  I cried and then cried some more.  Was waiting at hospital to have my port inserted.   Had the sweetest nurse who asked me why I was crying and I told her I did not know.   She pulled her scrub down and showed me her port scar and said "that is why you are crying"  "Reality just surfaced"   Boy was she right.   After surgery, tears were dried up and it was back to work as normal.   Tomorrow is shopping day - get to pack the "chemo bag" for the Wednesday party.  Any Hints?

Thanks for all the great comments.   I feel like am learning so much.

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154
    Options

Sorry gritgirl and ali68 for the back pain - I can only imagine the extra toll that adds.

Dltnhm - the port does seem like it is healing very well and fast, so I think your plan sounds doable.

I am now 4 days out from my first AC treatment. I would say all in all the first one has gone very well. I was able to work from home on Friday and today I went into the office. It was good for me to see everyone and have a normal day.

My stomache has been ok, I havent had to take any of the backup meds but I don't have much of an appetite, aside from it growling when it's says it's time for food. Even though I may not feel hungry or like eating I've been eating something small. I love mashed potatoes right now :).

• faithhopenluv
    Options

Gigborn - no matter how prepared I think I am, I've cried going into and out of all three surgeries. The nurses have all been amazing, and actually that is part of it. That is such an inspiring story for her to show you her scar.

The one thing I will bring next time is a deck of cards.

• DonnaDS
    DonnaDS Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Had to make a trip to my MO today, day 7 after first T/C.  I thought I should be feeling better.  So I haven't been taking my Zofran correctly, havent been eating enough, havent been drinking enough and I have a really bad case of Thrush.  But I'm not constipated.  I guess I'm counting my blessings there.  Seriously, take your meds (Im too old for morning sickness),  they told me to graze non-stop, drink lots and of course there another prerscription for the mouth and throat.  Never thought I would hear I'm losing too much weight.  Here's to a better tomorrowLaughing
  • Myleftboob
    Options

DonnaDS

I'm going to be following your posts as I'll be right behind you. Did you get a Neulastin shot?  I keep getting told that I can expect to gain weight UGH!

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201
    Options

Thank you to each of you for posting.  I am meeting with my MO this week to work out my cocktail.  My biggest concern would be long term side effects (like neuropathy or other long lasting events).  But we do have to get through the next few months as well.   I didn't take time off work for my surgeries, and hope to keep working through chemo as well.  I'm hoping to just arrange 3 and 4 day weekends to get through this.  I appreciate each of you sharing your experiences. 

• DonnaDS
    DonnaDS Member Posts: 23
    Options

I did not have a neulasta shot after my first tx.  MO thought we should wait and see how I do.  I'm having a blood test wed. with a shot of something if the counts are too low.  I may have neulasta after following tx if necessary.  I learned today I need to do what they say and try not to second guess.  Hard for me

• Myleftboob
    Options

DonnaDS

I know how you feel, I've been bucking this whole treatment stuff big time!  I am still shocked about the fact that I'm more concerned with gaining a few pounds and losing my hair yet I'm over the loss of my breast.  Silly really in the grand scheme.

• ymac16
    ymac16 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Today is day 5 post tx.  I was feeling good so went into the office yesterday - ended up developing a fever a few hours in so had to go home.  Temp got up to 100.3 but I took Tylenol which got it back down to normal quickly.  I must say that I was very frustrated to have this happen - I want my life to be as normal as possible but it just really hit me yesterday that I can't really count on that anymore.  Plus, my son came down with a wicked cold yesterday, so it was heartbreaking not being able to take care of him.  I shed a few tears of frustration - this whole thing just SUCKS!!!  OK, venting done.  I'm back at work today and hoping things go better.  Have my post-tx MO follow up tomorrow.

• JudyP
    JudyP Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hi everyone!

This is my day 8 after first treatment and I'm feeling pretty good.  Yesterday I saw my onc and she said that the muscle spasms in my lower back over the weekend were from the neulasta... who knew?  Some of you are having a much tougher time than I am and I am sorry for that.  Make sure that you tell your onc about everything you are experiencing, maybe they can adjust things.  I've been pretty tired the last few days, but not feeling sick at all.  All food tastes strange and flat so I just try to eat healthy and drink lots of water. 

I tried a sip of wine last night at my sister's birthday and I could hardly swallow it.  My family almost fell over in shock.  If you know me, you know I love my wine, ha-ha!  Had my hair cut short yesterday, weird, but not bad.  Everyone says "so cute" but I know they're trying to be nice.  54 is no age for "cute" ha-ha!

This board is wonderful!  I'm trying not to complain at home about each ache and pain, but here everyone understands that this sucks and we are all afraid of what's happening.

I wanted to share something my onc said yesterday about Her2+.  She said there is a study going on now to see if Herceptin alone (without chemo!) along with another drug will be effective against cancer cells that are Her2+.  Of course, results won't be for several years, but I thought this was interesting.

Judy

• ewesty
    ewesty Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi - I guess this is where I belong! I have been looking at all of these forums, since I was diagnosed, but I actually signed up today and found you all. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do with reading, and learning all the "lingo". I look forward to getting to know you all, as we are connected in this very unfortunate way. Bright side is, we have each other, right!?

I will be starting chemo this Friday - Dose dense, every other week, 4x Adrimycin/Cytoxin and then 4x Taxol.

Physically, I breezed through my surgery for the most part, which I thank God for. (I had a bilateral, expanders put in, with axillary nodes removed from 1 arm). I found my 2 emergency C-sections to be much more painful and so much harder to recover from. I'm 42, I've always been a runner, I do power yoga and am just generally active. I am about 3.5 weeks out from surgery and feel great, with the exception of tightness under my left arm. Am hoping this goes away so I can get back to yoga someday soon! 

I guess it's because my surgery went so well (and a bit of denial maybe?), that I'm just now considering the possibility that I might get sick during chemo. Isn't that crazy!? Even at our meeting with the chemo nurse, yeah, I listened and read all the stuff she sent home, but I was really still hanging on what my MO said at our first meeting. "Very few people even get sick anymore". I'm now realizing that she doesn't have to see me every other week, and the chemo nurse does...so, I wonder which one was trying to set the more realistic expectation? Hmmm. So, I am going to continue to visualize this going without a hitch! That's what I did for surgery and it seemed to have worked. I am back to working from home this week, and have discussed my "return" plan with my employer and co-workers. We'll see if I make it in next Tuesday after my Neulasta shot on Monday. I am hoping to work in the office maybe 3 days a week and from home the other 2...and yes, I guess I will have to take some sick days into consideration, as much as I don't want to. Who else is working?

Are there any others here who are in the "grey zone" as far as radiation is concerned? My tumor was 3cm, with 2 lymph nodes involved (no external extrusion). A year ago, they would have said that I didn't need radiation, now they seem to be reconsidering, and the RO actually told me that if she were in my shoes she's really not sure which way she would go. So...I have 4 months to dwell about benefits and risks.

Thanks for listening...I look forward to reading about all of your "chemo adventures" (I hope they are ALL boring too! The more BORING and UNEVENTFUL the better!)

Hugs! 

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497
    Options

today was a mammo-to me it was a formality since mine were done in michigan-i figured the doc here wanted his own...well- the tech had to take 2 additional pics of the right boob (the "good" one) and they are overniting the two sets of films from michigan cuz the radiologist here wants to compare quickly--not sure WHAT she saw that the tech and i didn't--they assured me everything was ok but somehow i feel that maybe it isn't?

c/s-my 14 y/o granddaughter talked suicide a week or so ago-today was intake and they are talking maybe some depression meds and psychiatrist-her reasoning is that she can't deal with losing anyone else....i've asked her mom to let me take her for a girls' afternoon after church sunday.....

sorry-had to get that one out.

last nite, i  took my first ativan...i laid in bed with my cpap on counting the breaths and decided that i wanted to try to ativan to see what it did- i went to sleep-now today i feel sleepy-but it's overcast and i was up too late and got up early.

tomorrow is chemo school.

thanx for being here.

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Judy P - Glad you are feeling better today.

Ewesty - Welcome - these ladies are fantastic.  You are in the right place.

Lumpynme -  It is so hard being a teen these days (my daughter is going on 14).  Hope they are able to work with her.  I am sure time with you will be helpful.

Had tx # 2 today.  A bit shaky but ok so far.  Had my hair cut short, so sad lol

Not sure what is left will last the weekend but my scalp feels so much better with the weight of it pulling.  Really have to deal with wig shopping this weekend.

My daughter has a skate practice, she has a competition this Sunday, so no rest for me until later.

• Kate60
    Kate60 Member Posts: 523
    Options

Hi everyone.

Tx #2 coming up for me on Friday. So far I can't really complain about the SE's I did have horrible fatigue around days 3-5 but nothing really worth mentioning except for that. The deal breaker though is loosing the hair. It started shedding on day 14 and I really thought I'd be one of the rare exceptions not to loose it all,maybe just thinned out a little, but by day 17 it was coming out in droves and my entire scalp was sensitive and really hurt, so I buzzed it, then shaved it. 

Although I can't stand how I look (can't decide if I look like an alien or a boiled egg) I have some wigs so I can sort of be normal in public. But I want my old look back please?? I do however have relief now to know that that part is over. The waiting and seeing and watching and counting strands was just doing my head in. Now it's done and I'm just getting on with everything else.

• mthrdee
    mthrdee Member Posts: 68
    Options

AussieKate - I think you look great..You are so right about the waiting and watching, it makes you crazy.

Moonflower and My Left Boob....I am the 16th also so we will all be together in this.  

So ladies and our 1 darling gent......it is almost 1 week to D Day or should I say TC day and I am starting to get stressed.  I have a huge project roll-out at work this week and it is keeping me busy but in the down times I start to panic.  It just seems to all be too much...so many meds, hair loss, mouth sores, worrying about reactions to the chemo drugs...I am now picturing myself going into heart attack mode while this stuff is dripping into me.  

Most days I am truly an easy going funny person, but I am finding myself more and more on the crazy train.  I never let anyone else see me panic and I thank God everyday that this website is here so I can share how I really feel.  

It seems a little silly I guess, but other then those fast moving moments of panic, I really do beleive that I will get thru this chemo regime ok and other then the hair loss, none of the rest will be too too awful.  

Anyway needed to vent a little tonight, now off to eat dinner and then watch Glee.  Also I am not the person with the healthiest life style...do not eat right, could stand to lose weight, smoke (trying desperately to quit), and my idea of exercise is walking the halls at work but I am going to make a really strong effort to change alot of that and it is really nice to have a cheering team to talk with.  

So God Bless all of you and sending hugs kisses and wishes for smooth sailing thru our chemo journey.  xoxoxo 

• faithhopenluv
    Options

Ewesty - welcome :). Did the RO give you anything to consider in your decision to have radiation? My situation is similar except I had a lumpectomy before chemo but will follow with a bmx as soon as possible. My MO said she didn't think I would need radiation and I'd like to set my surgery up as soon as I can after treatment. I also don't want to increase the lymphadema risk unnecessarily.

Aussiekate - you look great! I have another week and 1/2 or so, no matter how ready I say I am I will only know on that day.

Mthrdee - it's ok to let others see you panic. Those that love us are pretty helpless, when my first treatment started I was ok, my boyfriends eyes filled ever so slightly. Its so hard for them to watch and not take some of the burden. It's ok to panic a little in front of them, it gives them the opportunity to provide comfort and support

Hugs to those starting this week!

• ewesty
    ewesty Member Posts: 2
    Options

FaithHopenLuv (that's cute!) - so glad that your chemo is going well!

We've got a lot of similarities, don't we? I looked at some of your past posts. To answer your question about my rads situation - A year or 2 ago, they wouldn't have considered me a candidate for radiation. Protocol used to be - tumor 5cm or greater or 4 or more lymph nodes involved. They now putting women who don't fit those criteria, but who ARE premenapausal in this "grey zone" (I'm 42, 3cm tumor, 2 nodes involved). This is based on a study out of Canada and another that is Danish, I believe. (I am still trying to get links or copies of these for myself)

I spoke with two different RO's, both supposed to be 2 of the best in AZ. I saw the first one before surgery - based on just that criteria, he said "yes, absolutely, I recommend radiation for you. You will see a 10% greater chance that the cancer will not recur." (I believe this was his 10 yr figure). This freaked me out obviously, thinking that if I don't do it, I'm doing myself family a huge disservice. My husband wasn't there with me that day, and I didn't even take in all the info he gave me. All that stood out was that 10%! My husband is a firefighter/paramedic who also happens to know of people who have been overradiated. He's not a fan. He's convinced that the RO just wants to fill his waiting room and obviously he's going to recommend rads to everyone. I'm not so cynical, but I definitley want all the facts. This same Dr told me that there would also be only a 10-15% chance that my implants wouldn't survive the radiation. (Definitely not a dealbreaker when it comes to making the right decision, but I was terrified to get the DIEP Flap)

Fast forward to my surgery...I decided to have the bmx, with expanders. The PS told me that the risk of problems was much higher, more like 50%, but I figured, worst case scenario, if I do need rads and they implants don't work,  I will wind up with the DIEP Flap.

Pathology from the surgery - definitely 2 nodes, no extrusion, and my surgeon had 6mm margins around my tumor. Good news I thought. Went to see RO #2. She was definitely not as excited about these studies as the first doctor, although she told me that in my shoes she had no idea what she would do. She said that the studies were first ignored because they didn't like the surgical procedures in Canada or the chemo in Denmark (or maybe the other way around) - so obviously the rads would show a better result. Then, I guess they decided that maybe the study had some merit (why, I forget) - thus, the grey zone. She also told me that my number would be more like 5% greater chance of non-recurrence at 5 years - not sure if that's worse than 10% at 10 years...I haven't figured out how those numbers work yet, as the years increase, but added to my 80% from the MO, I just don't know. (Oh, and she also said 10-15% chance of implant failure. I think they have no idea...I keep seeing higher all over the internet, and my PS will only do them on a case by case basis if radiation may be involved.)

These studies say nothing about margins, lymph node extrusion, etc. Obviously I want to make the right decision, but I don't know how I can with incomplete information. I have 2 little boys who I would love to see past 5 or 10 years! The other annoyance is that, none of these calculators take into account attitude, or exercise, or anything like that...who knows how accurate they can be. So - that's what I will be toiling over for the next 4 months. I'll proabably go back and see Dr's #1 and #2 again, and maybe add a #3...now I'll move this to a rads thread, but I was curious if anyone was seeing the same shade of "grey" that I am! :)

• Myleftboob
    Options

ewesty

I kind of feel the same trying to weigh all of the percentanges adding rads or not for that matter. After getting my path report after the MX, margins 7.2, no nodes it thought great no chemo or rads.  But no, the ER+/HER+ and grade dicate more.  So I ask the MO, if I did nothing at all, what is my rate of re-occurance percentage.  He says about 25%. If I do everthing chemo/herceptin/rads/estrogin inhibitor that number goes to 5%.  Ok, compelling enough.  I'm then sent to the RO, her thoughts are that if a reoccurance where to happen, it would be in the orginal site.  But they MX'd me right???  I don't have to make a decision for a few months, but I am really leaning  not having rads at all!!  I mean to me, the chemo should take out any rogue cells, my original site is gone, I'll be on herceptin for a year then whatever it is there going to give me to take for 5 years. They haven't decided at this point, TBA.

Im curious re the statement by your RO as I am in Canada?  Its seems to me the only real difference in protocols that I can see this far is it's more typical to save the reconstuction until after surgery/chemo/rads. Unless of course they have the benefit of knowing the pathology by a previous lumpectomy. Not sure about the Danes though.

My cocktail is Taxotere/Procytox/Herceptin.  In reading here it seems the Procytox is the same as Cycotox.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    Options

gritgirl and Ali - Sorry you're dealing with all that pain. I hope it goes away soon.

gigborn - Reality does tend to hit hard. Having a nurse like that must have helped, though. I'm amazed at the people I've met who have been through all of this stuff and are doing great. As for the chemo bag, I have this small cosmetic bag that I take to work (and everywhere) with the anti-nausea meds, Claritin, Immodium, eye drops, hand lotion, surgical masks (only used them once when going to the ER), kleenex, thermometer, sanitary pad, zinc cough drops, ginger chews (for nausea), sea bands (another anti-nausea possibility) and hand sanitizer. For actually going to chemo, I also stock up on Gatorade, some snacks like granola bars (though my infusion center has sandwiches and snacks, so that helps). Good luck!

Faithhopenluv - 'Normal' days at work are great. I hope the rest of your treatments go as smoothly.

firstcall - Definitely go through all the possible SEs with your MO in advance to see if there are any adjustments they might be able to do to lessen certain risks - my MO switched me from Taxol to Taxotere because I play violin and fence, which long-term neuropathy would ruin. And do be prepared to be blindsided by SEs. Even after your first treatmet or two, you'll find each one affects you a little differently, perhaps a little harder. Be prepared to be flexible - I was sideswiped by my third tx after making it through the first two pretty easily. It's a hard road and it completely stinks - be good to yourself by not pushing too hard.

ymac - Vent away. We all will at some point. We're here for you. Glad you were able to get back to work.

ewesty - Welcome. Chemo is definitely tougher than the bmx. There are a lot of great anti-nausea drugs that can help, but sometimes it's a struggle. We all have different SEs that will dog us during our treatments. It's good that you can work from home. I've been working through this, and haven't missed too many full days, but after my third tx Jan 26 I felt completely and unexpectedly wiped out at work the following week. Just be good yourself and don't overdo it. Good luck!

Aussiekate - We all hope to be the exception to the hair loss - but you look great in that picture. Good luck with finding great hats and other things. Once I got used to the reality of losing my hair, I've enjoyed trying new looks.

I'm on the upswing after my third treatment exhausted me. But I've made it to work for two full days now and am feeling pretty close to normal. I wrote an essay last week and posted it under the Help me Get Through Treatment as "A Letter to Friends, Coworkers and Family." It was me coming to grips with my reality check of the 'new normal.' When you get to one of your down days, take a look.

• dltnhm
    Options

Hi everyone! Wow. The community was really busy today. I am typing one-handed on my husband's iPad so I won't attempt to write to everyone by name

You gals are so strong. I am learning ever so much from each of you as we journey together.

Aussiekate, I echo that you look wonderful. I haven't come to terms with this whole hairless scenario. I know how I want to feel about it and what I am trying to do to get there, but it will only be real when it happens. I was thinking of doing the all over head pony tails and then cutting them off ... Possibly to have a halo hairpiece or bangs or side ER piece things done. Not certain if I will do that. My hair is too short for locks of love.

Ewesty and myleftboob, I thought that in some ways I was similar to you gals, but know that because I have more lymphatic involvement (5+ nodes), vascular presence, invasive Ductal carcinoma, that I should expect radiation eventually. I had a DIEP so am hoping that I do not have too much shrinkage, necrosis, and the like.

First all and rachelvk .... Good Advice to go over all the SEs with inc nurse. I discussed all those other drugs besides chemo ones with my onc nurse.

Rachelvk ...thanks for telling about your chemo bag and then all your encouraging comments and suggestions for everyone. I need to gather up the items and get that going.

Sorry if I missed anyone ... You all have valuable insight and information. Love it and each of you!

• dltnhm
    Options

Port placed!

Went This a.m. For ECHO and EKG. Should have read up on ECHO. Tech was wonderful. Had a little difficulty getting some clear shots. Those were mainly under my left reconstructed with abdominal tissue. But cardiologist said that they were fine.

Port Placement Done. Had an exceptional nurse who explained everything in detail beforehand. She told me that one of the surgeons did subcutaneous stitches and the other surface. Then before ya know it she had gone to bat and got the subcutaneous one for me. The nurse that started the IV had a needle that they use for infants at the ready and she nailed the insertion of the last IV I will have for a Long time. My onc ordered a Power Port so that they can use that port even for CAT scans and other tests and scans. It is purple and fairly small. when the surgeon was discussing the port with us and how far it would stick out since I am small and thin too, he ordered a Slim Power Port. Yay. Everyone involved in the procedure and my care were super and we were laughing, cracking jokes, and just being so real. One of the radiology techs that wheeled me in had said that when folks get them removed they have little celebrations. I asked "parties?" and he said "yes". I said "Really?" and he responded "no, those are just in my head". We were all laughing but I was also exclaiming "I can't believe you lied to me. And that just cracked up the other nurses." so I told them "well you may have been lying but you won't bein TE future. When I come back to have this taken out we will have a PRP - a Port Removal Party and I will bring the food and goodies :-). They got a kick out of that and I am determined to keep my word about the Party.

I didn't have any bad SEs to the twilight anesthesia. And as far as I know I actually fell asleep, had a dream, and woke up. They let me rest and sleep off and on after that. Didn't rush us out of there and kept an eye on my husband who had an epidural injection in his hip yesterday . He was nauseous all afternoon with that. Poor guy. This evening he was violently ill over and over again. I am thankful they were watching out for him today.

I have a bit of discomfort at the site of the small entrance incision where they threaded the port line. It hurts when I swallow some of the time and feels like it is pulling a bit. No pain at the port site. All in all I cannot complain too much. I had human angels here watching over me and taking care of me.

Did you know that the first definition of port is: "a place where ships may ride secure from storms:haven"

My Lord is my haven. (Psalm 18.2 & Proverbs 18:10)

So glad He led me to this site

Love you gals

• faithhopenluv
    Options

ewesty and Myleftboob thanks for the info, I will meet w a RO to get a grasp on the math.  It can be so misleading at times.  A 10% reduction overall is very compelling (a 1 in 10), but a 10% reduction of an existing risk of 25% is a 2.5 chance in 100, right?  that is less compelling but an easy yes if there were no negative consequences to consider.  The diagnosis of an existing cancer is so imprecise - I went from a 1.2 cm grade 2 tumor on 11/17 at the biopsy to a 3.7 cm tumor and no detected node involvement at a 12/2 MRI to a 2.1 cm, grade 3 tumor with one involved node on 12/21 at the lumpectomy.  The danger of this disease is because it is so damn unpredictable.  All we can do is make the best decision that we can about a future risk.

Hope its a good day for everyone.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    Options

I just want to tell the young folks I know that life's greatest joys are a good meal, a good sleep and a good bowel movement.

At least that's what I've been finding out. I feel like I'm 80 now, but these are my little moments of joy. :-)

I was apparently taking too much steroid and am now coming off that. Still exhausted but less so (sleeping a ton in the last two days).

I go back for more chemo on Friday.  I actually look forward to these sessions. Every one I hope brings me closer to healing. I'll be trying to get to yoga tonight and will see an accupuncturist on Friday before the chemo so my back won't spasm up.

They look blood levels this Monday and I am praying for positive readings down the line to tell me whether the chemo is working. I'm in that between time when chemo has just started and we see if it's having an effect. I'm praying.

So glad you all are here.