Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Bonus bebefit of CALM ( ionic magnesium citrate) powder: One morning in a fit of desperation caused by a horrible shin and foot cramp, I made a quick mix of this stuff with water and slathered it on the cramped leg and got INSTANT relief! I really mean instant. It blew me away. Not even a sore muscle the next day. Of course it was a disgusting dried up mess later but washed off easily. I called the company to express my thanks and amazement and they told me they had it in cream form for cramps and other aches and pains. I have been asking doctors about cramps for years and they just shrug their shoulders. I have tried magnesium supplements in pill form at bedtime to ward off cramps but it never worked.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

As soon as I feel a cramp coming on I take a magnesium with a tall glass of water, and it stops pretty fast but your mixture sounds even better. All my doctors shrug too.

• corky60
    corky60 Member Posts: 453
    Options

We use vinegar for cramps. Swallowing a tablespoon of vinegar or mustard can relieve cramps. Don't know how it works but it does! Not for everyone, of course.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Bump

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

And I'll bump this one too. GREAT information. So many women have posted their remedies that one is bound to work for new people.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    Options

I read this entire thread. The past few days pooping was literally worse than giving birth. The answer, for me, was Miralax. And lots and lots of water. I tried stool softeners, prunes, warm water with lemon... but Miralax did the trick. I also had a cup of coffee this morning even though doctor said no caffeine, and thatreally helped. I will drink extra water to make up for the coffee. Thanks for the awesome thread. I know to get ahead of it now.

• minustwo
    Options

rdee - Thanks for reading & for posting.

I have a friend who swears the best thing for her is a cup of coffee in the morning. If I eat a mostly green salad every single day, I'm OK. Don't get me wrong, I like salads but every day gets to be a bit much. When I was younger & before this became a major topic in my life, I never had to worry if I drank a gin & tonic every day. Something about the juniper berries I guess.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi MT :) The roughage--fiber in the salad is good, but being creative on salads can get old. My Dad had a restaurant we could eat whatever we wanted. His rule was that we eat a salad a day and 12 oz. of Carrot juice with whatever he mixed in it, apple, cabbage, alphalfa, onion, celery. I HATED IT. Still have trouble eating carrots Hahaha.

The oil in the salad dressing is also helpful. It keeps the gallbladder happily ejecting bile. Happy gallbladders are nice.

rdeesides. glad you found a routine that works for you. You might consider asking your doc why he said no caffeine. Good Luck :)

• minustwo
    Options

SAS - What a story about your Dad's carrot juice. I guess it's safe to say you don't "juice"? I like V8 - with or without Vodka - but I'm sure that doesn't count.

My Dad worked with canning companies during & after WWII, so we always had canned vegetables. He picked up cases of 'seconds' or 'dented' at the canning plants. Of course there was no such thing as frozen when I was young & we lived in a city so no fresh farm produce. Canned was the norm. This was way before the advent of farmer's markets. Anyway - there was nothing worse than slimy, canned asparagus. It took me years to try the fresh & of course it's delicious. Well there was one thing worse - slimy okra, which i still won't eat.

My son has pondered why I never served anything but boring Iceburg lettuce salads when he was growing up. Well again - that was the main if not the only lettuce in the store. Wrong - sometimes there was butter lettuce but I sure couldn't afford that treat.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

MT, Dad had a thing of not using canned vegetables. I guess I just carried it on. BUT iceberg lettuce was a thing of the 60's and I suppose before and many years after. I forget what year they came out and said that iceberg lettuce had no nutritional value. I thought Poor Dad, He was trying to do the right thing. Thinking salad was good. Then when it came out that celery has no nutritional value. It was another bummer. But at least celery has and added value in cooking for flavor.

Actually, it was the reverse. I bought a juicer. I juiced for awhile, but it was too time consuming. I even bought the least time consuming juicer, yet, it was still to time consuming. Dad's problem was he mixed the carrot juice with everything else. UGH. Carrot juice freshly done by itself is wonderful. I can say that now Hahaha. But he was convinced to add everything in the world of produce to it. Juiced onion OMD.

I complain about carrots, but truth be told. If someone handed me a glass of straight carrot juice in the morning like my dad did on the way through the restaurant to the bus stop. I'd be happier than a duck in a pond. Again it was never just carrot juice. But I did convince him at times to do straight carrot

Two things----------dad would at times overdue his own intake of carrot juice. and his skin would get yellow. That's overdosing. We'd tell him Dad you have to back of some.

Our complexion(twin and I) was wonderful.

Another truth be told when I had to Cheer, I'd ask him to make some, except please, let it be just carrot. Great energy boost.

Another truth be told. I was a twin. My twin always followed the rules. Therefore, I broke all the rules. If I had to sit in front of the house a half hour, to come into the house after curfew I would. I never got grounded. EXCEPT for the time that Dad caught me pouring the Carrot juice down the drain. Ah such sweet memories ..........

:)

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    Options

I recently went to my survivor-ship meeting where I asked about this because it is such an ongoing issue. She said many patients report prune-lax works well. Active ingredients to me looked like Senna, but I bought some anyway and tried it, it really worked! I'm not sure why it worked differently, I had already been taking another senna product for a couple of days (this was after surgery so I was pretty backed up.) Morning after 2 Prunelax, relief.

• marijen
    Options

Based on your reccomendation, my prune-lax is on the way. The reviews at amazon are amazing. Thanks meg

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Amazon reviews on pooping Ahahahahahah,

Mari can you link the page it should be good for a few laughs

• marijen
    Options
  • minustwo
    Options

Oh Mari - I checked the link. Prunlax Jam? Jam for your toast? Interesting.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

I was hoping for some punning like we do.

I am very happy we have another product. The more choices the better it is.

• marijen
    Options

Here's a good review:

rsgood product easy to carry around last a long time

ByAmazon Customeron March 24, 2016

Size: 60 Count|Verified Purchase

Dose what it says but don't just go for the max amount cause that S×@t!! Will come out hot af uv been warned...don't forget to drink lots of water an give your self plenty of time to do ur business might need a good hour or so once it kicks in I also noticed moving around helps to

• marijen
    Options

AMAZON CUSTOMER REVIEW:
    My suggestions - Make sure you take them on a Friday night or any day where you don't have to go out the next [just so you don't get yourself into an embarrassing situation]

• sas-schatzi
    Options

It will be interesting to hear from BCO members that are blocked b/c of pain meds which is the number one reason folks end up here, to see if the getproduct or something close to eat.

While Miralax is a lot of folks dependable friend (drug) here. Prunes have been mentioned throughout, either alone or in combination with other fruits or senna

Thanks Mari for working on this.

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    Options

I hadn't even seen the Amazon reviews for it... lol, love a good humorous Amazon review. I've continued to have issues since my surgery (its been a couple weeks) and still prunelax seems to be the only thing thats working. Jam??? Hmmm.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

Hi ladies ... yes, I was "inactive" but think of you often. In Florida now and set to go home on Tuesday morning. S@#t .... just when I get my routine down and it will plug up again. Will take me a few weeks to get me going normal again. Ladies, hope all is well with you and life is good. Busy in Florida as we are thinking of buying a place. Have to sell Canada and move to a smaller property to be able to afford it. We are definitely not like some of the snowbirds that are here .... chachingchaching, etc. Anyways, popping in before I head north and just wanted to say "hi"!

• minustwo
    Options

JUDI JUDI JUDI. Hooray. So good to see you. I'm going to send you a PM so we loose touch again. Where were are you looking in Florida?

• JudiH
    Options

MT, I got your PM earlier and did respond. Funny, it was so long ago. We are looking in Bradenton, Florida but I'm being a stickler about it. DH wants to be in Riverstrand and I like Lakewood Ranch. Lakewood Ranch is an upcoming area and we can make some money. We will see who wins this one. He likes to golf and I try but I absolutely hate golfing with him. Sucks the life of the game out of me. K, I will wait for your PM.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

OMG JUDI JUDI JUDI, (Cary Crant overotne) MT and I have so worried about you................Bummer Bradenton. 2 3/4-3 hours from me. But maybe we can meet. DS is in Tampa., but I don't go there often. I hate to travel...........But girl do not leave MT and I again like that we were so worried about you. God Bless that you are well. Also sending a pm

• JudiH
    Options

Sas-schatzi .... I needed just to be away from CANCER. So that's why I was MIA. Maybe a bit too long but very busy at home. We came down to Florida Nov. 12th and have been busy. Won't be be back until January/February next year. Everything in Florida is such a drive being away 2 to 3 hours. But I will definitely let you know my plans. I'm not giving my home phone number out as we have the very basic service now and we don't even answer it. But I will definitely keep both of you in my world. Will be checking threads more often. Good to hear from both of you and I love you both!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Judi just very glad to SEE you YAY. Over the years I have taken breaks. It's good for the whole being. Now I don't come every day, sometime it's every 3-4 days :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Super Blue Blood Moon. The first in 150 years. This link has a fairly good explanation. Plus it has a chart where it can be seen in the different times.

https://www.space.com/39208-super-blue-blood-moon-...

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    Options

Bump with a poem.

• minustwo
    Options

LOL for sure!!!