Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options

Comments

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited May 2012
    Options

fondak, I feel for you.  This is a time of tremendous change for you, finishing radiation and starting the new drug, and about to have your hyst/ooph.  I was in your shoes last fall.  I finished radiation at the very end of Oct, had my hyst/ooph in early Dec and started the meds the week before Christmas.  I don't think my body ever recovered from radiation before I had the fatigue of the surgery and then the fatigue of the drug compounded it.  I think you have to give your body time to recover from traumatic events, like radiation and surgery.  And then it's time to start slowly rebuilding your strength.  

This would be a case of do as I say not as I do.  I'm trying now to figure out how to add exercise to my routine because I hate it so much and I'm so tired all the time!

hipgranny, I switched from Femara to Aromasin and my doctor told me to take some time in between to let the drug clear from my system.  I got headaches for about a week while I was off the drug.  I think that it's the body making hormones that it wasn't making before and until your system stabilizes you might have headaches.  It's just a guess, but my headaches and migraines are really sensitive to hormonal shifts, so I think it's really likely.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited May 2012
    Options

I read thru this and don't remember if I saw my name already. ??? I've been on aromasin fir 1 year. I pretty much have constant arthritic pain truut my body,  mostly my legs and hips.diarrhea, fatigue and generl ickiness--I do have LE and neuropathy places so I really dn't know where one starts and one ends LOL

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2012
    Options

stephN, Thanks so much for your post.  It is very encouraging to hear of someone else who went through the same steps within such a short time frame.  I believe I did have a bug of some sort earlier with all the pain and degree of fatigue I felt. I felt much better yesterday and today.  Still achy but nothing I could do things I needed too.

Now, I'm trying to get things caught up before surgery.  I've never been caught up so I can't blame that on everything going onSmile.  I guess I should say manageable! 

The doctor did say if I come in Monday morning and my white blood count is not up from when I finished the chemo, he will postpone the surgery. 

camillegal, you didn't remember seeing your name.....guess what I did.....I was reading my own post and thought, "Wow, this sounds just like me!"  It felt so strange when I realized it was me but it was good for a laugh! 

Oh my, what a week ~ but I am sure thankful for it!

• hipgranny
    hipgranny Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks. stephN,

My headaches are not as severe as they were earlier this week, so I'm hoping my body is getting used to a few more harmones in my system. 

• hipgranny
    hipgranny Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Options

I was on Aromasin for 5 years and I quit the drug about a month ago.  My joint pain, while I was on the drug, varied during the whole time--sometimes pretty severe. Mostly my joint pain was in my wrists and hips. I am still having minor joint pain in my wrists, but it is less now than it was while I was taking the drug. My biggest problem now is headaches.  I think that must be from a harmonal shift. I was so happy when my oncologist told me I could stop, that I forgot to ask if I would have any new issues with stopping. 

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Here I am again crying in my beer--(don't I wish) I wouldn't be crying then. Bit whhen I said fatigue I really meant it severely-LOL I do some excercisizing in the evening (not a lot) everything hurts so much. I feel like a freak and who else can understand this but u guys. I tell everyone I feel fine--thos I walk like I'm 90 yrs old--Actually when my dad was 90 he walked better so I don't know what age walk I'm around. I know a lot of people take these drugs without having so many SE, but wow I feel like I did when I was on Chemo most of the time. Why??? I know I'm no young chicken, but I feel like I'm next in line for the slaughterhouse. I forgot what my sister is on I think Femara--her Dr. has changed her a few times--she's Stage IV-bone mets and had no chemo or rads???? And she's doing OK for now--my niece is on Armidex doesn't feel great and my cousin on Tamox. doesn't feel so hot either--well they understand too, but we don't talk about it with anyone else cuz we sound like we're complaining, I guess we are. hahaha but I do tell them (from here) what others are saying and makes us all feel better.
  • camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

OH kayb thank u I never thought of the time of day thing---I'll certainly try it. I put it with my night meds. hahaha all these pills to keep track of wears me out LOL Thanks again

Camille

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

kayb, I started last nite---and I'll let u know---we can talk ourselves into a lot of things. hahahahahaha Thanks again

• fondak
    edited May 2012
    Options

kayb  I found your thread about AM or PM.  I was glad to read the comments there.  I have been taking it at night and like you said I have never been able to nap during the day (except during my chemo days).  However, 3 days this week I have had long naps.  I sleep in late and then can't sleep at night.  I can't tell if it's because I am not getting good sleep at night or just fatique.  I've been waking up through the night and dreaming like crazy since I've been on it.

I have only been on aromasin 3 weeks.  I wouldn't have thought I would feel the side effects so soon. My knees hurt going upstairs, hands hurt a lot and after a long nap or getting up in the morning I move around like I'm 90. 

I have to stop taking it a few days as I'm having a hysterectomy/ooph in the morning.  When I start back I'm going to try to take it in the AM and see if good sleep will help.  I'm glad you mentioned that.  It wlll feel good to have something to try at least.

Thanks

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi, everyone, I am so glad that I came across this thread today. I was on aromosin for 6 1/2 years and my onc said that it was time to stop. My bone loss was getting more significant and there were some other issues as well. I also had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago, so my onc thought that my estrogen levels were almost nil. I just read here that some of the ladies that have stopped aromasin, are having headaches now. Well, my side effect has been anxiety and depression. I stopped in November. My new onc here in CA, thought it might be related to that Aromasin is steroidal in effect, and when you go off a steroid suddenly it can cause havoc. I did not wean myself off the Aromasin, but took my last pill and that was it. Has anyone else had this side effect from stopping aromasin?? Thanks for any input and I hope those dealing with headaches get relief soon. I have been put on 5mg of lexapro to see if that helps. Have a great evening, everyone!!!

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

Kathy I hope u reread this thread---I ask really dumb questions, but don't judge me LOL what do u mean steroidel?  I get headaches now I think every ache and pain I have is from aromasin and I blame it, so I'm fine with that part. LOL Even when I don't take a nap, I'm awake during the night for about 2 hrs. but otherwise I'm so tired all the time.And now I think but steroids would make me feel good--Is that true.?

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited May 2012
    Options

Ray: Thanks for starting this thread.

I've completed two years on Tamoxifen and have now switched to Aromasin. I took my first dose this morning. I put on 25 pounds while on Tamoxifen. Should I expect even more weight gain on Aromasin?

I notice a couple of you experienced headaches after suddenly stopping Aromasin. That makes me wonder if I should have eased off Tamoxifen for a couple of days instead of just stopping Tamoxifen yesterday and immediately starting Aromasin today.

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

MaryNY maybe since u stopped one and went on another they'll be SE from stopping????? And I'm as bi as a house (well 2 bedroom) and I can't lose a pound and I ave no appetite and hardly eat so I have no idea what's oing on with weight stuff.

• fondak
    edited May 2012
    Options

I will definitely do that.  Thanks. 

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Kathy: Before I stopped the Aromasin  completely, I tried to take the pill every other day for a while, then every third day. When it made no difference to the SEs I stopped completely.

So maybe that is why  I didn't get the headaches!  I think the docs should warn you to stop it gradually.

• dogsandjogs
    edited May 2012
    Options

I did not gain pounds on Aromasin, but lost muscle tone and acquired a spare tire around my middle (for the first time ever) this happened despite all my normal exercising.

• bubbe
    bubbe Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2012
    Options

I take Aromasin at night because when I initially started taking it (about 7 weeks ago) I suffered from "brain fog."  I felt I was losing was mind and told my husband he now knew what to expect if I should become demented.  By switching to evening dosing, I felt that any side effects would occur while I was sleeping, so who cares?

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hi, Camillegal, no question is ever dumb, thanks for asking, because I had to remember what my onc said about aromasin being steroidal in effect. He said that aromasin mimics a steroid, in that aromasin may give you the same effects as a steroid does. He gave an example of that your humger may increase but that was it. But just talking with some people who have taken steroids, they say that when you go off of them, the side effects are anxiety and sometimes depression. So I have been wondering why I am experiencing these side effects after going off of aromasin. I am feeling better. I am sure aromasin stays in your system for quite awhile. I was on it for almost 7 years. I wish you well on this drug. It has kept the cancer away for me, which is a wonderful side effect. Have a great day!!!!Smile
  • Kindergarten
    edited May 2012
    Options

Dear Dogs and Jogs, How are you?? Good point about stopping any of the aromatose inhibitors gradually. I did not and that is why I am thinking I have had a difficult time, but I am feeling better, thanks!!!

• dogsandjogs
    edited May 2012
    Options

Kayb:  No, I don't know really, but when you hit menopause you seem to get that roll around your waist and get flabbier overall.  So this is just menopause re-visited (at least for me)

PS I looked up Aromasin on the Internet once and found all this info. for weight lifters!  It seems they take it too--

• dogsandjogs
    edited May 2012
    Options

Kathy, just sent you an e-mail

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks Kinderarten for answering me--Geeze there's more se from these meds than chemo---Personally as I have said many times---I think everyone (including Drs,) are a little befuddled (funny word) cuz now people are surviving and on meds longer and more SE are showing up that we are getting familiar with than the drug companies.

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

Kaybe it's only been a couple of days since I've been taking my aromasin at night--so far well it's 3AM and here I am, maybe it's not long enough--so I'll continue anyway.  Thanks

• mybee333
    mybee333 Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2012
    Options

Speaking of sleep, I took mine Aromasin last night at 11,  got up at 12 as i hadn't yet fallen asleep, drank a glass of red wine to help relax me (anxious about kids), went back to bed and fell asleep at 1:30 and then woke up before my alarm, fairly damp at 5:30.  Four hours of sleep.  At the nurse's suggestio I am keeping a daily log to show the MO the difficulties I am having.

btw - my weight gain has settled with Aromasin.  I felt like I was gaining rapidly and retaining water much more with Armidex.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited May 2012
    Options

Is this the "official" Aromasin thread?  I just started taking it yesterday, with Afinitor.  Before that I was on Femara for 15 months, then Faslodex for a far-too-short four months.  Hope I get a longer run than that on Afinitor + Aromasin (and Xgeva).

I'm so glad to hear a few of you saying you haven't gained as much on Aromasin.  That is truly encouraging right now. Femara packed a fast 20 on me, and I don't want any more of that! 

• mybee333
    mybee333 Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2012
    Options

I would like to add that despite my lack of sleep, had a great day, felt peaceful and was fairly productive.  Not bad.

• MaryNY
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Lulubee: I'm just one day ahead of you. I started taking Aromasin on Sunday. This is after two years on Tamoxifen, where side effects weren't too bad except for hot flashes and weight gain (25 pounds). It would be nice if it was easier to shed weight with Aromasin.

I've been following the advice in the last couple of pages and taking the pill in the evening. With Tamoxifen I took a split dose  -- 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening -- except I often forgot. Having to take just one pill now seems much simpler.

• camillegal
    edited May 2012
    Options

OK here I am almost 2AM--WIDE AWAKE---I did do some productive stuff around here today so I thought I'd sleep better. I did fall asleep around 10:30--I was so tired too and took my xanax-If nothin else this whole few yrs has taught me patience so maybe it will tak a little long for it to turn around for my system. So I can browse the computer and give my socrates-style wisdom and watch TV (yes wisdom and TV--mutlitasking)

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi All,

I just started yesterday ( after a year and half on arimidex) so I am happy to join you on this journey. I am hoping for less arthiritis on this drug, but we will see. Have a great day! beau 

• MaryNY
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Beau: it will be interesting to compare notes as we embark on the Aromasin journey. I started this week too as did Lulubee. I woke up in the throes of a horrible night sweat this morning. Although I had those with Tamoxifen, they had tapered off a lot.