Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options

Comments

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012
    Options
  • Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Can you hear me laughing, I needed this when I was at the beginning of my journery. Thank you for the chuckle. This was great,Ptdreamers!!!!
  • Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2012
    Options

Has anyone felt naseau sick feeling on stomache? I have that feeling like morning sickness gack! I eat to coat my stomache, but then I gain weight, Still some tingling in hands and arm but carpel tunnel exercises help.

• ginger_mea
    ginger_mea Member Posts: 135
    edited June 2012
    Options

Bogie, I am nauseous every morning since on this pill, I have ginger hard candies everywhere, so I suck on that and it helps!  Ginger

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited June 2012
    Options

Bogie: I've just been on exemestane (Aromasin) a month. The first couple of days I felt slightly nauseous in the morning. I was taking the tablet after my evening meal with some water. I then made sure to take it with the food. I know the drug instructions say to take with food but with tamoxifen I would often forget to take it with a meal and would then take it just before going to bed with a glass of water and didn't have any issues.

Sorry to hear about your tingling issues. I already had some residual neuropathy in my right leg from an autoimmune disorder. It seems to be worse since starting exemestane. Why did you doctor switch you from Arimidex?

Someone up above commented on using magnesium supplements to help with the hot flashes. I bought an Mg/Ca/Zn combo. It certainly has a bowel effect. First night I took a full tablet, now I'm splitting the tablets. Will see how that goes.

• mybee333
    mybee333 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2012
    Options

I'm sorry to hear you are all so nauseous on this medication. I have not experienced this but am still having trouble falling asleep.  It has occurred to me however that the early morning awakening - that might be menopause to the extreme, rather than the medication.

• ginger_mea
    edited June 2012
    Options

I made an appointment with an acupuncturist for next week, will see how that works out, seems to be favorable on here. Wink Ginger

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ginger mea, what is the acupuncture for? Sorry if I missed the reason---

I'm thinking of going to one for my bone pain and general over-all stiffness. None of which I had before the Aromasin--

• ginger_mea
    edited June 2012
    Options

I'm going for shoulder pain, its always bothered me on and off but since the pills its worse and constant and goes down my arm, my wrist the whole right side, plus tight from surgeries and rads I'm sure, and that makes it pained also. Ginger

• Heyho
    Heyho Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hello peoples, Does anyone know if taking Aromasin with or without food really does make a difference? I read on a UK site that taking it with food increases the amount of drug absorbed into the bloodstream. I was switched to Aromasin from Arimidex 6 weeks ago and have been taking it on waking every day, so on an empty stomach. Now I am worried that I may not have been absorbing it all. Any thoughts?

Hey Ho 

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited June 2012
    Options

My prescription has a big red label on it that says TAKE WITH FOOD. So I do.

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hi All, I hope everyone is well! I just wanted to mention that after a year and a half on Arimidex (with lots of side effects that I worked through one by one), I decided to try Aromasin to see if I would have less arthritis on it. I am over a month in and happy to report that I am much more mobile. Still have sore feet, and stiff neck  (3 herniated disks), but generally much more confortable. Some insomnia but I had that on Arimidex too. Also take some Claratin or Benedryl most days because it seems to help with overall joint pain. Best, Beau 
  • fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2012
    Options

ginger_mea  I will be looking forward to hearing how the acupunture goes  I have bone pain as well.  Some days are a lot worse than others.

mybee333 I didn't consider the sleep issue possibly being related to menopause.  I didn't have it before all this to compare it to so that makes me feel a little better. 

beau  I think I may try benedryl at night.  It helped me sleep while I was on chemo.  I had forgotten about that.  Thanks

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited June 2012
    Options

Can you get Claritin over the counter? I sure would like something for my aches and pains (which I still have 4 months after stopping Aromasin)  I am afraid the arthritis or whatever it is may be permanent since I'm 76. But I had none of these bone and muscle issues before starting the drug and they came on so suddenly that it is not just aging.  I too am very active - jog with my dogs every day and jog by myself several times a week. I also just joined a very intense exercise class twice a week, but it is very difficult to keep up with the others.  I am so discouraged. And the onc wants me on other AI!! 

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2012
    Options

Yes Claritin is over the counter. I never even thought about using it for the joint pain what a great idea! So far the pain is nothing like it was when on Femara, but it is there. It's been 2 weeks now, so really hoping my body will continue handeling it ok. I feel it is so important I'm on something since I was unable to finish the chemo.

• ginger_mea
    edited June 2012
    Options

fondak - I will definately keep you posted about the acupunture once I get started

I tried the claritin although it worked after neulesta it didn't with this for me anyway.

Ginger M.

• Heyho
    Heyho Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Wow, thanks KayB, I will make sure to take it with breakfast from now on...hope I have not made myself at risk by taking it without food for a while...anyway with food it is form now on. Thanks so much for your help!

Hey Ho

• mybee333
    edited June 2012
    Options

If the Aromasin peaks in two hours and I take it at bedtime, is that why I a waking up in two hours and unable to fall asleep, you think?  For those of you who take it in the morning/day, does it make you lethargic or sleepy?

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited June 2012
    Options

I take mine in the morning after having small amount of food, banana some days, oatmeal on others but it does not seem to make me sleepy

counting the months till hopefully the onco will take me off.....16 months would be 5 years on this stuff~~

• mybee333
    edited June 2012
    Options

Five years would be cool.  Congrats on getting so close  :)  !!

• mybee333
    edited June 2012
    Options

GRRRR......is right!!  :)

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2012
    Options

Mybee I don't know what makes me lethargic anymore, maybe it is the aromasin or I could just be lazy--I've always taken it in the morning. I am tired all day, then I wake up during the night and I'm wide awake????? I take so many meds and they all do something so who knows.

• mybee333
    edited June 2012
    Options

Yep - I hear ya.  Same story over here.  Again - do you think it might just be menopause to the extreme?

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Mybee I'm 67 and so far I keep on revisiting menopause--it can't be for me ???? but I do get hot flashes again then the old age kicks in and I get the chills LOL  Like I've said I have no idea anymore what's going on but I do know I have LE and in pain when I never used to be so......

• mybee333
    edited June 2012
    Options

Well.....I've had another night of multiple awawkenings and too many of them to count. I'm afaid to try Femara because Arimidex was a nightmare.  I wake up desperately depressed every morning and then it wears off through the day.  I think I'm going to stop for a couple of days, get through my daughter's graduation party and then think on this some more. I am in education and have the summer off.  Would some rest be too much to ask? 

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Kayb and Mybee I actually slept 4 hrs. (with some help LOL) but I wake up headachy and tired--I feel miserable, Mybee sometimes I wake feeling so sad, but that might be not enough sleep too and normally I never di-Usually avery up person and maybe just getting tired of not feeling well--I don't know?????

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Kayb I've gotten to the point where if meds can help me I take them--I never used to even take aspirin NOW I'm a walking dugstore LOL

• donnajrn
    donnajrn Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2012
    Options

boy, this has been an interesting read.  Nice to see one is not alone with side effects, and how people react so differently........I was on Tamoxifen for 3 1/2 years and was switched to Aromasin in March.  After 3 months I was so miserable she switched me back to Tamoxifen 2 weeks ago.......within 1 week the aching I had in my bones significantly decreased and also the aching muscles at night stopped.......I can get up out of a chair and not look like I am 100 years old when walking....Even took several Aleve a day to help with the pain-esp in my shoulder......and now I have bruising from that I think......nothing bad with the tamoxifen yet....and I cannot remember why I hated it so.(although urinary stress incontinence was one)  I was most interested in the depression people experience with stopping Aromasin......I am feeling really down these days.......do not like that...........of course with my new diagnosis of LCIS(Jan) and having my first mammogram next month  (which will be a new kind...3D tomosynthesis mammogram) after my recent surgery scares me to death...and I think that might be part of it.

I am hanging in there, afraid to stop any before my 5 years are up.

Donna

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Donna, it's kind of funny we're saying Oh am I glad everyone else feels miserable hahahaha--we're not really of course, but it's just that we're not alone.

• donnajrn
    donnajrn Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh my goodness, you are so right that sounds funny.  Let me explain, I was having a hard time deciding if I was having side effects of the medicine, or just a natural sign of aging..........kinda makes me feel good it was the medicine.

Donna