Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Gina9195
    Gina9195 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had my nipple recon on 10/5, and got a glimpse today before getting them bandaged up again. It's amazing how there are so many different methods. I mentioned earlier that part of my non bc areola was used to make the new one, so both of my nipples have been affected. My real nipple is in shock, like a turtle in its shell! It's flat, and even the brief exposure to the air didn't stimulate it to pop out. My reconstructed side is very scary, lots of black stitches. I honestly couldn't see the new nipple through all the stitches. I go back in a couple of days for stitch removal. However, before bandaging me back up, my PS had me stand in front of a mirror, and seeing two breasts looking the same was very satisfying. So glad I chose the nipple recon. It truly does make a difference whether recon, 3d tattoo or stick-on, to see something there.

• fearlessfoot
    fearlessfoot Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thanks everyone for describing your nipple reconstructions.  I am summoning up my nerve to go see my PS. Reading these boards helps before going to the factual websites to read about the types of options.

• txmomof2
    txmomof2 Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2012
    Options

I saw my PS yesterday and scheduled my nipple surgery for the 30th of Nov!!!!  He's going to do a nipple implant instead of just tying some skin together or doing fat grafting.  He said that it won't flatten then.  Apparently I have some research to do but trust him completely!  Has anyone else had the nipple implant?

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited October 2012
    Options

Txmomof2, not sure what you mean by nipple implant. My PS put what she called a plug under her constructed, from lumpectomy scar tissue, nipple. She said that would keep it from going flat. It's been over 2 months, and so far so good.

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012
    Options

txmom...I would LOVE that without the twisting and tucking!  keep us posted.  My PS said he could potentially come in after my tattoos and give them a bit of dimension. 

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2012
    Options

Here's a question for all of you.  I had my nipple done in August.  It was done using the skin, I guess where it's cut and reshaped.  It had good projection in the beginning but has since flattened out a lot.  I just emailed my PS asking if this was normal and if he should take a look before my final nipple tattoo is done at end of November.  He answered back stating that it was normal and if it bugged me to make an appt with his office for a procedure called a Xenograft plug.

Anyone heard of that or had it done?

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

No idea...

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2012
    Options

Jwilco, you can google xenograft and get some definitions of that, but it's hard to know which sites are accurate. I would ask your doctor to explain it to you.

Best wishes!

• froggy12
    froggy12 Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi all,

I am having exchange surgery the first week of November and I have for now declined nipple reconstruction. I am planning on 3D tattoos with Vinnie. Does anyone have any experience with tattoos. My PS is not happy about it.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had nipple reconstruction in May (one is great, the other went flat). My PS has the 3-D Tatttoo artist come to his office (she has her own location as well but insurance pays more often if she comes to the surgeon's office). When I brought up perhaps doing a "re-try" on my flat nipple, it was the PS that recommended I wait until after the tattoos to consider that step. He thinks I'll be happy and so far he's been right.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited October 2012
    Options

Nipple reconstruction done and first round of tattoos. My nipples did flatten a lot but they do show through if I wear a thin shirt with no bra. A bra usually covers up the bump. They look real and I am amazed. I'm kind of proud too. If they show and someone notices Im ready for show and tell, haha. After all we have been through this is like our trophies! The tattoo was not bad. I also got a 3D tattoo so it will look even more real. I did this part earlier this week. I have to do it again in about 2 months. They say color will fade atleast 50% so it is a 2 step process. No pain. I'm glad I did it. If you want big nipples it can be done. PS asked me what size I wanted.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited October 2012
    Options

Here's a link to Scottsdale Living Magazine and an article about the work Rachell Hall does:

http://scottsdalelivingmagazine.com/beauty/rejuvenate/permanent-makeup-gives-hope

My PS refers all patients that plan to do tattoos to her.

• mspradley
    mspradley Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    Options

Froggy: I had Vinnie create my 3D nipples almost a month ago and could not be more thrilled! They look even better in person than the pictures on his website! They truly look like there is a nice round nipple projecting out from a normal areola.

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

Mspradley...did you to tattoo only? I'm going in less than one month! Can't wait!

• mspradley
    mspradley Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    Options

Yes, I did tattoo only. When I had my bilateral DIEP reconstruction, I opted to not have any nipple or areola created. So, Vinnie had a blank canvas.

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

That's encouraging!

• froggy12
    edited October 2012
    Options

Mspradley,

That is so encouraging!!!! I have exchanged some email with Vinnie and looked at his work and thought it was remarkable! I made an appt for Feb, thinking that would give me enough time after my exchange.

Cmartin, Good Luck! You will have to let me know how it goes. ARe you going to NOLA?

• txmomof2
    edited October 2012
    Options

You can google Cook Nipple Reconstruction Cylinder (http://www.surgicalproductsmag.com/scripts/ShowPR~PUBCODE~0S0~ACCT~0006615~ISSUE~1010~RELTYPE~WCH~PRODCODE~2847~PRODLETT~A.asp) and that explains the nipple implant that I'm getting.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2012
    Options

That looks so neat.  Txmomof2- where are you having it done? 

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

froggy, yes, NOLA it is!  Nov 15.  I have posted on the picture formum and will be adding those after my procdure. 

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited October 2012
    Options

Just letting you know I'm eagerly reading about your experiences. My PS won't do any follow-up surgery until 6 months after reconstruction. I already have an appt scheduled with him in March next year to set-up the nipple recon!

Jenn

• New-girl
    edited October 2012
    Options

Cindy- I thought you were doing NOLA in January?  I will be there the 14th!  So excited. 

• froggy12
    edited October 2012
    Options

cmartin, I can't wait to hear about your experience! I decided I didn't want to go through another surgery to have nipple reconstruction and my Husband found out about Vinnie!

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

Grt42bt.....I remember you're the day before me! Counting the weeks!

Froggy...we'll keep you posted. Details to come!

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited October 2012
    Options

ok counting down 7 more days until my nipple surgery. Getting butterflies . . .

• CMartin
    edited October 2012
    Options

Carrol you'll be thrilled!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2012
    Options

4  days until my nipple surgery  woohoo can't wait

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2012
    Options

txmomof2... THAT is amazing!!! never heard of it.  look forwrd to following your progress!  

• txmomof2
    edited October 2012
    Options

grt42btexan - I'm having it done in Southlake.  My dr is Dr. Heistein.  He's wonderful!!  (And a perfectionist which is great)!

• New-girl
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had no idea this was being offered so close to me.  I am in Dallas and I have never heard of the nipple replacement.  So very cool.  Cannot wait to hear how it turns out.