Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Papillary Carcinoma

Options

Comments

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    Options

Annika - hope it all continues to go well for you........sounds like youve got your game plan down, that must give you some peace, a little at least....  :)

• Kimmie114
    Kimmie114 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with a 5 mm papillary lesion with associated calcifications but no cancer identified on pathology . It was dx under ultrasound core needle biopsy results . It does show a complex cyst next to it and then other breast has 2 cysts but not mention of cysts so not worried there. 8 was referred to a breast surgeon for excisional biopsy for further evaluation but 2 more weeks before appt. I read a lot of conflicting reports here on benign and malignant papillary lesions saying cannot get definitive path on core needle? I'm 55 post menopUsal recently and a sister that is 9 year.b Reast cancer survivor dx at age 43. am staying positive but still on back of head worried as GYN told me not to worry yet and on call told me that biopsy was ordered too bc of calcifications which I know they are not always cancer but did say on path lesion is assoc with so not sure if that is another sign and also mentioned prominent ducts. Again , anybody have results change after excisonal biopsy? Thank you for any input. Greatly appreciate all help concern on this helpful site. Thank you!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Kim, a bit confused here....you have cysts or no?? Cysts can often appear with your period cycle so they have to be certain you are so many days away from your period start. It is possible that they excised the 5mm of cancer with the needle!! 5mm is very, very small and if they even took a bit of it away, the remainder may be too small to see on any type of scan. The whole area should come out as a lumpectomy, in my opinion (I am NOT a doctor!!!). Calcifications are normally a first staging process for cancer, but won't show up as cancer on biopsy. They are often called "architectural" changes, if you heard that as well. You can't have benign papillary lesions. Papillary Carcinoma IS cancer. BUT, there is something called a papiloma that may be confusing you. That is benign. Many, many times results change after biopsy - that is why the best lump is a lump in the jar!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

• Kimmie114
    Options

Hi Barbie, thank you for helping here. Sorry to confuse too. , had a feeling I!may have done that. I have an appt with a breast surgeon oct 17th. My core needle biopsy results are showing a papillary lesion and pretty sure 5 mm but must go look at size as my gyn also said it means a micro tumor . Very small. Pathology report also says ino signs of atiypical but does state microcalcifications associated to nodule.fi read a lot online showing papiloma. Also core. Needle shows no sign of malignancy identified. From what I read online says hard to differentiate malignant. Erase benign on core needle as a papillary lesion can have abnormal cells on side and says only way to determine true biopsy is thru excisional. I do have a complex cyst next to the lesion in 900o position and other is 100 0. position . my understanding is its. Called a papillary lesion and if cancer then papillary carcinoma and if benign then called a papilloma? I don't know thou. I'm Post menopausal 55 took HRT for 1 year and totally off. I have a sister that is a breast cancer survivor. I hope I like the surgeon and easy to talk to. I. Thinking positive but a little worried as well . You are all. Brave women on here and appreciate all the help and support everyone gives .thank u Barbie.

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi Kim, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I had stage 2, grade 3 invasive papillary carcinoma (25mm). We are quite a rare bunch! Hoping all goes well for you at the appt. on the 17th. :)

• barbe1958
    Options

I actually don't put my type of cancer in my tag line as women were thinking I "just had" a papiloma. The names are very close but they are miles apart in disease! One does not grow into the other. It's just the pattern they grow in that names them similar. You will feel much better after you meet with someone who can explain it better than me. Ask a million questions until you totally understand. (S)he is paid to teach you what is wrong or not wrong with you and your body!!! No sign of atypical is a good thing, but remember, they're only working off a tiny needle sample. My needle sample was "inconclusive, but worrisome for cancer" so I had to go on to a lumpectomy. The lumpectomy defined the cancer as Papilary (very, very rare) but I didn't have clean margins and my lump was already on my chest wall at 6 o'clock so I just went on to a mastectomy. The surgeon agreed and so did the tumour board. I had a double mast.

• Shayne
    Options

I had a papillary carcinoma and also had calcifications AND a few benign cysts in both breasts. At the end of all my poking and prodding, and a dcis diagnosis.....i was told that they really dont know what they are dealing with until they get it out and do pathology. Hang in there......and it really sounds like you need some clarification from your doc about your diagnosis. Keep us posted and good luck to you.....

• Kimmie114
    Options

thank you for all the posts here. Sorry to hear your bc dx but praying you are all doing well . It's all pretty scary but have to stay focused . I hopefully will have a surgery date when I leave surgeons office next week. The wait seems like forever as first abnormal mamo was 8/20 and the the repeats and ultrasounds and core needle biopsy just 2 weeks ago but had to wait a little longer for.breast surg appt. I do understand a lot more as have been researching in spare time.my lesion is 2 inches from nipple and read tnite that is called a peripheral papillary lesion and article said those away from the nipple higher chance to be cancerous. I do have microcalcifications also. Well . I will keep busy and mind busy for one more week but really won't know anything till removed and final pathology. Anyway. Thank you all again

For all your help. Xo

• Shayne
    Options

i had to wait 6weeks for surgery, and it felt like forever.I busied myself doing things i love with family and friends. And took xanax at night for sleep, because you really need to sleep. Keep us posted.

• barbe1958
    Options

Kimmie, I'm a bit confused. If you have Papillary Carcinoma, it IS cancer. If you have a Papiloma it is benign. So why the mention of how far from the nipple your lesion is??? Do you know if you have cancer or not?

• Kimmie114
    Options

Hi again. I have a sclerosing intraductal papillary tumor with associated microcalcifications . I met with the breast surgeon last week. My surgery date is 10-30 for excisional biopsy with wire localization. The tumor is small and near the chest wall . Barbie . I've read a lot showing location of lesion central verse peripheral on malignant . My doctor confirmed that see more malig in peripheral. I'm hoping benign as odds are with me as 80 percent benign he said . I worry as have a sister with breast cancer and I'm at a higher risk age 55 post menopausal. Gettin closer as he said 2- 3 day wait on results but surg on we so I'm sure will wait till MOnday . You are all so brave here as just this going on since initial mamo sept 1 st

Recalls and waiting takes over the mind but am very busy so that helps but the unknown is hard too. Thanks for all the help here. No malignant cells in core needle biopsy . But he said needs to be excised as cancer on papillary lesions can be hidden on inside . I worry the microcalcifications are cancer related to lesion since path shows associated but maybe you can get benign microcalcifications ?

• barbe1958
    Options

Calcifications, or architectural structures are cells that are staging together to become cancerous. Like geese practicing flying south for the winter.... Your biopsy might have missed the "meat" of the lesion and thus you need the lumpectomy. The saying is that the best lump is a lump in a jar!!! My biopsy was "worrisome for cancer" so I went on to a lumpectomy. My lesion was at 6 o'clock on my left breast, right against the chest wall. The surgeon didn't get clean margins so I moved on to a double mastectomy once it was confirmed to be cancer. Sounds like you are going through what I did. I pray you get clean margins during surgery. I was able to avoid chemo and rads by having my breasts removed, and as I didn't chose reconstruction, I was back at work 2 1/2 weeks after surgery - the day my last drain came out. I was done. It was all over. No more surgeries!

• Kimmie114
    Options

Hi Barbie, I appreciate you getting back here so fast. My core needle pathology sounds very similar to yours and that is exactly why I was told recommend lumpectomy as cancer can be hidden on inside. Not much can do but get all the info I can and one step at time. Also , mine is deep in the left breast 1000 position near the chest wall. Thank you again Barbie and hope we can stay in touch here. Is excisional biopsy with local wiriazation same as a Lu,pectomy. Will have general anesthesia. I had my pre op yesterday. Surgery is 10 30. Still praying for good results but worried too.

• barbe1958
    Options

Kimmie, they find the lump on ultrasound and stick a thin wire in it so when the surgeon opens you up he can go directly to the cancer site. Annoying with the wire sticking out until you go into surgery, but no pain otherwise. Good luck, sweetie!!

• beatrice00
    beatrice00 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I had a papillary tumor with small microcalcifications which turned out to be DCIS in the tumor. The treatment was the same as for DCIS. I had BMX and don't need any follow-up treatment at all. Good luck to you.

• Kimmie114
    Options

You are all so brave and appreciate all feedback here has been very helpful then to go searching over internet. My surgery is this Wednesday now. You all are great inspiration on being so strong. Did you get a 2nd option in Beatrice as to your treatment after dx .

• beatrice00
    beatrice00 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I will have a second opinion with an oncologist next week but my wonderful surgeon at Sloan-Kettering said no further treatment is needed. I wish you lots of luck tomorrow. Be strong.

• Kimmie114
    Options

Good morning, just saying hello and waiting to hear from the surgeon today. The surgery went well on Wednesday and I woke up feeling much. Better today. Just swelling , and discomfort with movement but nothing to complain about. Only needed the Percocet on Thurs. The surgeon removed the tumor and surrounding tissue and everything went well. So glad it's over is best news. I hope you are doing OK Beatrice. You are in great hands in NY at Sloan kettering. I looked up their website just curious if I get a cancer dx for another opinion but will wait and see as hoping all OK . I will be thinking off all of you and younhave been at tremendous support these past two months!!! Can't thank you enough. I will get back here when I hear more.

• Kimmie114
    Options

Beatrice .. What type of biopsies did ypu have before being diagnosed? My core needle didnt show any atypia or malignancies on papillary lesion, did yours? Only showed associated microcalcifications to sclerosing intraductal papillary lesion.

• Kimmie114
    Options

sent too soon and then I was referred to. Breast surgeon for removal which was this week.

• barbe1958
    Options

Can't remember if I already mentioned that my needle biopsy only showed "suspicious for cancer" and not the type of breast cancer. It was my lumpectomy (I'd had two previously over the years so was ready with my decision of mastectomies) that showed the carcinoma. My surgeon had understood me and booked the masts for 6 days later (he only did surgeries on Tuesdays!). The tumour board at the hospital had to approve the surgery which they did. That validated to me that I had done the right thing. No chemo or rads as my nodes were negative (micro mets only). I felt I dodged a bullet until the surgeon said to "Save the big guns until next time!"

• Kimmie114
    Options

good morning, I rec'd great news yesterday afternoon. It was a benign papilloma with no sign of cancer upon removal. Surgeon said he will see me in 10 days for follow up and will talk more then but feeling so lucky and again thank you to all of ypu for caring and helping past 2 months. Will def stop in to check on all of you as ypu are all so wonderful and brave. Thank you again.

• barbe1958
    Options

Kimmie, that's WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!! You must feel new born!!!! Glad to hear it was just a Papilloma and NOT Papilliary Carcinoma!! Now you see why I don't even mention my diagnosis as a lot of people know about papillomas and that they are benign. Now you are in that club!!

Now that you know your breasts know how to grow things you will have to be even more vigilant, BUT you will learn not to get the deep, deep fear each time you feel a lump because you have had a GOOD lump. I had 3 breast biopsies and a reduction before I was finally diagnosed with cancer. I was prepared with my course of action and you will be too, if your time comes.

Now breathe!! You deserve it, sweetie!!

• Kimmie114
    Options

just wanted to say hello to you barbe! Hope you are having a good day! Thank you so much for all your kind words and for all your help here greatly appreciate. You are very. BRave strong and great support to so many others. I will pray that You will continue to do well. Life is so precious . I follow up. Next week with the surgeon but doing fine. I was very fortunate when so many are not here. Hope to keep In touch barbe!!!! Xo

• barbe1958
    Options

Kimmie, YOU are now brave and strong, too!! I hope we never see you here again.....

• Shayne
    Options

YAY KIMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news!! What an ordeal this mustve been! Super happy for you!!

• Ricochet
    Ricochet Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello everyone,

I was sucked up into this tornado called cancer the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. (Happy Thanksgiving to me :( ) The pathology report of my 6 mm lump sampled by fine needle biopsy came back suspicious for DCIS but they sent my samples to pathology consultants that reported the sample as Intracystic papillary/cribriform carcinoma (IPC). Apparently, it is an uncommon form of breast cancer. (I always knew I was special but didn't need this to prove it lol)

Since November 27, 2013, I have met with a surgeon, decided on lumpectomy followed by radiation. My surgery is scheduled for December 17, 2013.

Of course, before surgery I have to meet with a radiation oncologist to make sure I am a candidate for radiation. I am not sure what would exclude me from radiation other than I take a lot of medication for my other condition Multiple Sclerosis. My appointment with the radiation oncologist is December 6, 2013.

I never really thought the medical community could move this swiftly!

Wish me luck and I will attempt to keep you updated.

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Good luck, sweetie :)

• barbe1958
    Options

Ricochet, now that you have cancer, you'll be amazed how quick the "system" moves for anything!!! People who don't have cancer are the ones that complain of how slow it is to get checked out. We've all moved to the Front of the Line (and without American Express, too!!). I had a lumpectomy with only a "suspicious for cancer" diagnosis and my surgeon didn't get clean margins. When my Papillary Carcinoma diagnosis came back on pathology, I said 'take 'em off'!! I'd dealt three times already with biopsies through my life and was tired of the fear. With you going in knowing that you have a 1/2 centimeter lesion, the surgeon can scoop out a little bit more to make sure you have those clean margins you need. Keep us posted!! and hugs to you!