Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Comments

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2012

Almost 10.5 years since diagnosis.......so far, so good.

I was one of the lucky ones - I took aromasin for 5 years and had no side effects, apart from some hair thinning.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,836
    edited April 2012

kpblog, go to the Hormonal Therapy Forum and check out the .Arimidex - Coping with the SE's' thread. We talk about all the anti-hormonals, not just Arimidex,

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2012

kpblog, here's the thread ruthbru recommends:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topic/755969

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2012

Wow I luv all these posts that show we are ALIVE. I might not feel as peppy and good as I used to since bone mets..but im happy to be alive, enjoying my grandkids, having hobbies and spending time with my hubby, kids and friends. There is hope...and we are proof. Luv and hugs, Mazy

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2012

It will be five years for me this July.

Who would have thought?

To all the newbies, keep on trucking and live every day to its fullest!

Hair grows back, scars heal, hormonals do end, and it looks like there are lots of "old timers" still kicking butt and enjoying life.

Onward!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2012

SoCalLisa,

11 years..

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2012
    Y  O  U    L  A  D  I  E  S    A  R  E    A  M  A  Z  I  N  G   !  !  !  !
  • marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2012

Congrats to you all.. i love these post.

• talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited April 2012

Got the diagnosis on Dec 8, 2006...you never forget the date!   Chemo ended July 5,2007, radiation ended Aug 31, 2007....started Femara then.  Still on that and will be done with my next Onc appt in Feb  2013!   Soooo   5 years, 4 months and 18 days!  Keep on keeping on!

• pennylane
    pennylane Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2012

Over 6 1/2 years ago...summer of 2005...Depressed me to the core and was so lost...Came to this place on regular basis when I had yet another scare re bad routine lung x-ray.  Met so many kind and knowledgable women here...and like so many, have dodged many a bullet, yet am still here... albeit, still sleep with one eye open (comfortably)...and am always knocking on wood...and am always ready to return the favor of information and support to newbies...Thank you so much breastcancer.org....

• quiltmom
    quiltmom Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2012

Over 7 years!!

• Annie62
    Annie62 Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2012

7.5 years from original diagnosis for me. Still considered NED after recurrence 1.5 yrs ago.

Annie

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited April 2012

8 year survivor

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited April 2012

Great thread!  I'll have to come back in January 2013 at my 5 year cancerversary.

My grandmother died at the age of 85 ~ 28 years after her diagnosis

My best friends mom is working on 30 years of survival after a dx of Inflammatory BC and being told she only had 6 mo to a year.  Go Jean!  She's 87 b-t-w.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2012
    Adding Sugarplum to the list ---- 6 years today!

• lisaelder1972
    lisaelder1972 Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2012

June 6 will be 6 years for me! I had a bad prognosis and 2 kids,15 &8, that  I took every  breath for.My daugter is 21 and getting married (YOOHOO) tommorrow and my son is almost 15!!! God answered my prayer that I live long enough to see them grown.Hope is a powerful thing.

i

i

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2012

7 year survivor in June. 

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2012

7 year survivor this June, 2012.  "marejo" is a very thankful woman!!

• caaclark
    caaclark Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2012

screen name: caaclark 

6 years for me-stage III when diagnosed in 2006, 6+nodes, extracapsular extension.  3 young children at the time who were ages 4, 6, and 8. 

My children are now 10, 12 (almost 13) and 14(almost 15).  I NEVER thought I would still be here-but I AM!

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2012

Congrats to you all. Thank you for sharing your inspiring stories. I appreciate that..

• dlavelle10
    dlavelle10 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012

dlavelle10

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410
    edited April 2012

This IS encouraging! As a newbie i'm inspired! Bless you all!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2012

Dear Chachamom, I just saw your post. My son used to live in Ranco Cucamonga. We love this area. He did an internship at the Baseball Stadium. We retired and have moved to Torrance from IN. You will be a long time survivor as well. You are a survivor on the day of diagnosis!!!! Blessings to you!!!!

• midnight1327
    midnight1327 Member Posts: 1,331
    edited May 2012

Hi there, I am new to this site since sunday, i was diagnosed last year with grade three, Her positive ductal carcinoma, i had a lumpectomy and radiation therapy and now on Tamoxcifen for five years.  What is it with the five year thing, everything is five years, do they not think that there is much chance after five years, or is it just a stepping stone that we have got thru?

• midnight1327
    edited May 2012

Just that it frightens me abit that we have a 5 year gap to get thru. I often wonder and a little timid in asking the doctors incase they tell me something i don't wanna hear. thanks

• Wabbit
    Wabbit Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2012

midnight1327 ... the 5 year mark is really just used for statistical purposes.  I don't read any meaning into it beyond that it is a statistical check point ... as is 10 years also. 

• midnight1327
    edited May 2012
    Thank you for that. It all gets overwhelming at times. Smile
  • flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    edited May 2012

(((((midnight))))))) Take it one day at a time. It really does get better.

• llivtswm
    llivtswm Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012

Hi I'm a 5 year survivor this past March.

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited May 2012

9 years on the 14th of this month.

Isabella.