Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    edited May 2012

For must cancers it means that if there is no recurrence before 5 years one is cancer free. In breast cancer this is not  true, one can have a recurrence after many years, this is why i is important to have a very good follow up. I do not know why some use the 5 year reference,

There are posting of people with recurrences after a long time :  topic: Been there , done that.

• Snewl
    Snewl Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012

Six years and (knock on wood) counting!

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410
    edited May 2012

Hi kindergarten! I live most of the year in San Felipe, Baja Ca, since we retired seven years ago. I'm glad we have a small condo here now near my mom....so we'll be here at least through the summer. It is a neat area to live though.......but I love living in San Felipe and hope to return here!

Midnight, I also have a strong aversion to the " five year " statements out there.....but understand its how they often measure statistically....sometimes it feels like an expiration stamp!

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited May 2012

I happened to meet a woman at my place of employment. She was asking for directions to get per op work for surgery. She wanted to know how I knew where to go and I mentioned that I was here before because I had to have surgery for breast cancer. She looked at me in amazement and said she was a breast cancer survivor. Her doctor had told her she had six months to live back in 1998. Well she fooled them. She made her doc a big liar...lol. My neighbor who is 99 years old is a long time survivor. She was diagnoses in her early 40s and she is fine!

Me...I have 7.5 years...

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2012

You are all incredible! Love hearing these stories! Keep 'em coming!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited May 2012

8 and 1/2 years, 3 at stage IV and doing well!

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2012

AWESOME women......just AWESOME.

Thanks for the posts they give us HOPE, COURAGE AND STRENGTH.

Please continue to chat with us newbies, you are always welcome.

Love and Hugs

Breast Friends,

Cindi

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2012

I just love this thread as well. I want to come here everyday to read these wonderful and inspirational stories. It makes me believe that we can conquer this beast and live everyday without fear. Thank you so much, moderators, for starting this thread. Hope is what keeps us going!!!!Smile

• kjackie02
    kjackie02 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012

I was 40 years old when diagnosed and that was 5 1/2 years ago. I still love coming to this site!

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited May 2012

I was 43 when I was diagnosed......That was over 5 years ago!......My sister, Fran, was diagnosed 4 months before me at Stage 3 and she is not only surviving, she is thriving, just like me!......I too still love coming to this site.......I have a lot of friends here now......

• Annoula
    Annoula Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2012

You give the rest of us hope Hollyann. I am so happy for both sisters.

• Annoula
    Annoula Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2012

All the women here give us hope. Thank you all for sharing stories, after reading all of this, it has helped so much. God bless everyone.

• tweetybird
    tweetybird Member Posts: 399
    edited May 2012

I'm 5 years and 10 months, and 2 weeks, but who's counting!!!!

My incentive/idol is a dear childhood friend of my Dad's who is also my younger brother's Godmother. She'll be 80 years old this year, and was DX 43 years ago, and was only given 6 months to live, and just became a Great Grandmother for the first time 3 months ago!!!!

• Cindi2011
    edited May 2012

I DID IT!

Tonight two of my dearest friends took me to the local campground, where we would spend many summer nights partying and enjoying cocktails.  We picked out our sites for later this month.  I packed a lunch of spinach salad, cracked pepper triscuits, red grapes and cranberry horseradish sauce with crackers.  We also enjoyed a bottle and 1/2 of wine, one blueberry and one chocolate.

I am so thrilled to spend time with friends laughing and enjoying life....like the old days.  It has been a long time waiting.  Now off to bed after prayer and reflection time.

Thank you for my new friends found here....Bless all of you,

Cindy

• irishdreama
    irishdreama Member Posts: 538
    edited May 2012

I made it TWO DAYS past my five year anniversary, when my onc discovered enlarged lymph nodes under my arm on the opposite side of the original site. Sure enough, there were 4 cancerous nodes. BUT I am very fortunate, because after a PET scan, there were no mets (which floored my onc, since the nodes were on the opposite side!) so it's being considered a recurrance rather than a metastasis. God bless all of you who made it!

• Cindi2011
    edited May 2012

wow, best of luck to Irishdreama

• dato
    dato Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2012

Tomorrow will be 6 years since diagnosis.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2012

Popping in to let you all know how INCREDIBLY inspiring you are!!! What a special place this is to get a smile :) Thank you so much for sharing! Keep those stories coming!

• ibcnu
    ibcnu Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012

ibcnu - Inflammatory Breast Cancer in left breast diagnosed in 2000, DCIS in right breast diagnosed in 2011.  Was refused a double mastectomy in 2000 when I begged for it so now I am finally even and loving it!  Burned those boob bags!Laughing

• HopingforaCure
    HopingforaCure Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2012

Just passed the 5 year mark this past March.  After diagnosis had mastectomy, chemo, herceptin, and radiation.  Will finish up 5 years of Tamoxifen this year and then switch to an AI.  Feeling great!!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited May 2012

YaY hope!

• lago
    edited May 2012

YaY hope!

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012

Hi, Lago, it is always so nice to see you on here. We were fellow patients at the LE physical therapy group in Chicago. We did not go together but we both had the same physiclal therapist. Oh, my gosh I can not remember her name. Hubby and I have since retired and moved to CA to be near our sons. How many years is it for you again. Congratulations to everyone on here. It does sure help our newbies regain confidence and hope. Hugs to you all!!!!

• lago
    edited May 2012
    Kathy I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I didn't do LE PT till 2011. I went to Novacare although my PT moved to Ireland so not sure where I'll go if I need more.
  • denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2012

I cried reading every post and celebrate with all of you.  Thanks for posting

for those of us just getting into the Hope Phase!!

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2012

Will be 9 years in December, 2012.

Diagnosed December 8, 2003. Stage 11b, grade 3. 3 tumors in right breast, 1+ nodes positive (micromets in second node). ER+/PR+, HER2+. Neoadjuvant chemo (herceptin and navelbine). Mastectomy, June 2004. A/C - 4 treatments; radiation 33 treatments; herceptin until June 2005.  Arimidex starting in February 2005 until June, 2011.  Prophylactic mastectomy of left breast in October, 2005.  Reconstruction in January of 2007.

Would do it all over again if I had to.  It saved my life.  Thank you Dana Farber (and Dr. Smith at Mass. General, who did my surgery)

Smile

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012

Hi, Lago, Yes I went to Novacare, too.  Her name was Betsy Campione. I just found her card. Northwestern recommended her to me. We talked about how she released you and I was hoping the same, and she did. I also went in June of 2011. You and I did not meet in person, just on Illinois Ladies facing Breast Cancer. Did she move to Ireland.Wow. I still order my sleeves from Absolute Medical. I am sorry that I was not more clear!!!! Have a wonderful week!!!! Kathy

• lago
    edited May 2012

I OK yes I do remember you. For some reason I thought you said I was someone who met you in person.

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2012

No problem Lago, I was not clear!!!! Hopefully our LE problems will remain minimal. I also need to look for a new therapist out here, in case problems arise. The longer I am out from cancer, the more lax I become. I especially love coming here to read all the wonderful stories. I feel great now and know there is life and normalcy after cancer. Blessings to all!!!

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 184
    edited May 2012

hello all, I am a 18 yr cancer Survivor, inspiration for just diagnosed, Hope and Positive thinking and especially my Faith in God, and family and friends.  msphil(idc, stage 2, 3 nodes, L mast, chemo and rads and 5 yrs on Tamoxifen). fav scriptures( John 3:16 and Isaiah60: 1)