Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Options

Comments

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2012
    Options

Can someone explain the numbers?  They are so scarey some days.  When I look at my information and see that they say 67% survival rate for 5 years.  Really??? what does that mean?  And then my onc tells me that having so many +nodes will shorten my life extensively.  Again, how/where do they come up with this.

I think I need a new onc.

Please talk me down from the ledge!

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited May 2012
    Options

Cindi, I don't know why your onc. said that or what it means. I know women with many nodes that are doing fine years out. I never received numbers with either of my diagnoses.

10 years since stage 2b triple neg diagnoses and 1 year since stage 3 possibly stage 4 triple neg (3% er pos). Currently NED as far as I know. Last scan in nov 2011 clear, really hoping it stays that way.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,945
    edited May 2012
    Options

Statistics are just numbers. They mean nothing to the individual person.

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited May 2012
    Options

Cindi,

I personally know a 5 yr+ survivor of triple neg with 5 nodes, Stage 3, and an 8 plus year survivor of HER2+ with several nodes, and my sister is a ER+ Stage 3C who had 6 cm ILC and 10 positive nodes who is over 5 years out.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I remember when I was diagnosed in 2004 with bi-lateral breast cancer, Grade 3 and lymph node involvement, both my radiologist and onc were not sure of what my prognosis would be!!! I am almost 8 years out now!!! Every case is different and I too have a strong faith that has gotten me through every hurdle and challenge in life!!!! Hugs to you allSmile
  • Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2012
    Options

15 + years one side and coming up 6 years the other side this month

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 2012
    Options

Cindi, my situation is close to yours. When I said to my onc that it looked like my 5-year survival odds were 50/50, he rolled his eyes and insisted that my odds of still being alive in 5 years were more like 70-80%. 

Apart from that, as others have said, stats are just stats and are quite meaningless to individual outcomes.

I figure that I have a decent chance and I try to focus on that and enjoy myself meanwhile. 

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi..bilateral BC for me too. One side just DCIS. The other Multiples. largest 6cm invasive...5 pos lymphs.

9 years...

• MzzHope
    MzzHope Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    Options

MzzHope

• MzzHope
    MzzHope Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    Options

Let's keep this going ladies...:)

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thank you all. When I am feeling uncertain, I just read these post and I know I am not alone and...there is HOPE...for all of us. : )

• Blue319
    Blue319 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm a newbie to this message board (this is my first post), but I'm a 5-year BC survivor!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,958
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Welcome, Blue, and congratulations on 5 years!

• RaychlD
    RaychlD Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thank you all. Today started out as bumber and you all have uplifted my spirit.

• Ihopeg
    Ihopeg Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    Options

5 1/2 years for me! Glad to be here!

• rebzamy
    rebzamy Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012
    Options

Reached my 5 years since diagnosis in June 2012 having had a scary diagnosis with a large lump, lymph node involvement and HER2+. Two years ago I had preventative surgery to the other side and on 28 August having affected side reconstructed. :)

• moderators
    edited August 2012
    Options

Celebrating you two, as well, Ihopeg and RebzAmy! Love these stories -- keep 'em coming!!!

• Ericamary
    Ericamary Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Options

Will be five years cancer free in Nov. of this year. Had a double mast. It changed my life to become healthy and fit. BUT NOW a few months ago diagnosed with Lymphedema in trunk and one arm.  THIS is worse then dealing with the cancer to me. Never thought it would happen to me. Drs. never discussed and would laugh it off when i asked about it, said it wouldn't happen. Finding information and care for BC was easy compared to this.  

• Godlistens
    Godlistens Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    Options

CONGRATULATIONS AND LOVE TO MY BC SISTERS! I WILL BE FIVE YEARS OUT IN NOVEMBER!!! GOD HAS LISTENED TO EVERY ONE OF MY PRAYERS AND I CONTINUE TO THANK HIM EVERY DAY. I PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU TOO.....WE DID IT.....WE MADE IT THROUGH THAT DIAGNOSIS....THE SURGERY....THE TREATMENT.....THE FEAR....THE EMOTIONS....THE ANXIETY.....AND THE LOVE!!! YOU ARE ALL TRULY AMAZING WOMEN!!!

• moderators
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ericamary, we're glad to see that you've connected with the wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful members of the Lymphedema forum. And thank you for the reminder to everyone to advocate for ourselves, even so long after initial diagnosis and treatment.

Godlistens, congrats on your upcoming 5 year anniversary!

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Its so encouraging to read these posts.....but shouldn't it be cancerFREEversary?  LOLWink
  • SillyMama
    SillyMama Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'm finishing year 8!

So far, so good!  Smile

IDC 2004, Lumpectomy, Rads, HRT, 0/7 nodes

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2012
    Options

Yay SillyMama!!! BTW I love Westies!

• kimberly_g
    kimberly_g Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    Options

That is exactly why I DO NOT come to these message boards anymore because they are too depressing for me.  I understand having breast cancer is a very scary thing to go through, because I am a survior myself, but the women here are waaay too negative for me.  Even after 5 years, the women on this board are STILL in fear of a recurrence.  I know that it is possible that you can recur even after 5 years, but I am not going to think about that.  I believe in God, and have strong faith, and I strongly believe in my heart that I will never have to go through cancer again despite what people on this message board my say otherwise. 

I have just made it to the 5 year mark.  I was diagnosed with stage 2, triple negative breast cancer in August of 2007.  I WILL NOT live my life in fear worrying if or when I am going to develope a recurrence.  I am going to remain positive.  From reading some of the comments here, some of these women are still in fear, which in my opinion is sad. I won't be returning to this message forum anymore.

• kimberly_g
    edited August 2012
    Options

I just came across this board and wanted to sign up and give hope to the women who are now battling this disease.  I just hit 5 years on August 18, 2012.  I was diagnosed with stage 2, triple negative breast cancer in August of 2007 when I was only 26 years old.  I am now 31 and doing great!  I was terrified when I first diagnosed, and was afraid that I wouldn't make it this far out, but I did! I feel really good and just very thankful to God that I beat this disease.

I'm thinking positive, and having faith that I will NEVER have to battle this disease again. I really hope that by people reading my story it will help to give them faith that they will make it and will be a survivor as well.

• moderators
    edited August 2012
    Options

SillyMama and kimberly_g, congratulations on your milestones, and thank you for sharing your inspiring anniversary news.

• Your Mods

• kimberly_g
    edited August 2012
    Options

Why does it make you nervous to say that you are 10 years out?  Do you think that you'll get cancer again?  You have to think positive.

• nsmith36
    nsmith36 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    Options

I was diagnosed with Triple Negative IDC in 2007. This October 30 ( also my 30th wedding anniv) it will  be 5 years since I finished treatment. I am so grateful to be alive and to see my ever growing family, however, my thoughts and prayers go out to those not so fortunate.

• Meggy
    Meggy Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2012
    Options

Well I'm close so I think I'll add my name.  I will be 5 years in 5 more months.  I'm triple negative with possitive nodes....  Thank you God.

• cabinwriter
    cabinwriter Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Options

cabinwriter:  14 years since original BC diagnosis; 5 years since diagnosis of bone mets