Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,928
    edited August 2012
    Options

We are loving all of these inspiring stories! Congratulations, NSmith, Meggy, and Cabinwriter! You all are true inspirations!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited September 2012
    Options

Congrats, cabinwriter! As of yesterday, it's also been five years for me after my diagnosis of bone mets. 4.5 years NED.

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    edited September 2012
    Options

20 years last January....Small Grade 3 IDC and extensive DCIS in left breast....mastectomy and then opted for a prophylactic mastectomy on right breast some months later. Had recon...doing great.

jezza

• Gbatt67
    Gbatt67 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Options

Please can you talk to me. I feel along, ashame like am worthless.i ask the question why me.

• txmomof2
    txmomof2 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2012
    Options

That's awesome Jezza!  Did you have chemo/radiation/hormone therapy too?

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2012
    Options

Keep the posts coming....congrats Jezza and Cabinwriter!!!

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    edited September 2012
    Options

No txmom...just surgery. I was told 50/50 whether to have chemo or not...onc said yes...surgeon thought the disadvantages outweighed the advantages.

You must remember this was 20 years ago...no oncotype tests then and even now they are pretty rare in Australia. I hope you do well with your implants. I still have the original ones from 20 years ago, so I'm very lucky to have had no problems at all.

jezza

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited September 2012
    Options

Jezza, I am just getting thru my first yr but am totally psyched as I can only imagine everyone is to see you being 20 yrs out!!Congrats and as Dr Spock would say (the Startrek one) "live long and prosper".

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited September 2012
    Options

Gbatt67,have you been diagnosed? I felt very ashamed at first also like I had done something wrong to deserve this but that was foolishness. Nobody wants cancer. I went to a counselor,(insurance paid) which I feel did no good. I just had to work thru it all myself and cried a lot of tears but I think I am gonna be ok.

• moderators
    edited September 2012
    Options

CONGRATS JEZZA and HEIDIHILL! What great inspirations you both are! Let's keep these posts coming -- there's always a need to give some amazing hope to worried ones like Gbatt67.

Thank you all very much for sharing :)

--The Mods

• Survivortude
    Survivortude Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Options

SURVIVORTUDE  Cool

Celebrating this milestone TODAY - 9/7/2012

5 years ago, my Surgeon called to say "we did it!  we got clean margins!!!"  She proclaimed that my official anniversary date.

Turned out surgery was the easy part Yell

But here I am...I did it.  I may have long-term & late side effects that make every day a struggle, chemo may have taken my looks & my mind, and some friends, family & employers may expect me to be "normal again" even though it's beyond my control, but I AM ALIVE.  Blessed by God who answered many prayers, my Onc Team, my co-survivors & my supporters helped me make it to this day. 

And you know what's cool about TODAY?  The SU2C Event airs tonight.  I will proudly Stand Up 2 Cancer by calling with my donation as a grateful SURVIVOR.

HAPPY 5 YEARS TO ME!  Laughing

• Survivortude
    Survivortude Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Options

CONGRATS LaughingCabinwriter, LaughingHeidihill & LaughingJezza! 

Take it one day at a time, GBatt67, with a box of Kleenex for the tears of rage, fear, despair, hope & joy, because it's a rollercoaster CrySurprisedYellUndecidedCrySmileTongue outYellCry.  But you have survivor sisters all over the world who know what it's like.

Hugs & blessings to ALL!

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2012
    Options

5 1/2 years triple positive...Life is good!

SIL - 28 year survivor

• tibet
    tibet Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2012
    Options

hi GrammyNancy, What is SIL meaning?

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited September 2012
    Options

It can mean Sister-In-Law or Son-In-Law depending on the context. In this case, I would say it means sister-in-law (SIL).

• moderators
    edited September 2012
    Options

Congratulations, GrammyNancy (and to your SIL too)!

NancyD, thanks for jumping in with the abbreviation translation. Smile

• The Mods

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2012
    Options

NancyD is correct..means sister-in-law.

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2012
    Options

Diagnosed November 2006, finished 4 AC February 2007, herceptin 2008.  I feel great!!!

• Aussie-Sharon
    Aussie-Sharon Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2012
    Options

10 years from diagnosis...thankful to have been one of the ones who got Herceptin on the HERA trial:)

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited September 2012
    Options

Aussie-Sharon,

A big congrats to you....I to received Herceptin in a clinical trial ...hope it does what they say..

• moderators
    edited September 2012
    Options

Congrats Sassa and Aussie-Sharon!!!

Sherry -- good luck with the Herceptin!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2012
    Options

Saw my onc yesterday and first thing he said was its FIVE YEARS. So it five years since end of treatment. Have just finished femara, I have been on a trial which continues so they can see how long it is effective. (There is a little hiccup though, he found a lump on my collarbone, oh well hopefully its B9)

I am alive and enjoying life. Things are very different now and like others, treatment was harsh and has caused problems with other health issues.It has been an interesting journey and I am blessed with great support but did lose several along the way.

Anyway life is busy and filled with wonderful family and friends.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2012
    Options

7 years....I think Herceptin made the difference....and there is always newer and better things coming out.
    I read about Herceptin in May 2005.  I was diagnosed in June.2005 and started treatment in Sept. 2005.  Keep up the research ...the best is yet to come

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited September 2012
    Options

I love coming back here and reading all the stories.  Thanks for sharing.

• moderators
    edited September 2012
    Options

Alyson and Maire, congratulations! And thanks for reminding all of us about newer treatments that help, as well as the wonderful support from family and friends that helps along the way.

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2012
    Options

Alison and Maire congrats on your milestones and keep the stories coming!!!!  Today I am a one year survivor of breast cancer....not sure my family gets how important this milestone is to me but I know you ladies certainly do...so like I said keep the stories coming.

• moderators
    edited September 2012
    Options

Wonderful! Congrats to you too, Katyand4!!!

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2012
    Options

22 years ago right side - mastectomy (+ reconstruction)

5 years ago = left side - mastectomy (+ reconstruction, although  it was more complicated being that much older)

Chemo both times. Still on arimidex.

Doctors do not have the final say. It is all in G-d's hands and don't forget that! There are many of us out there who are alive and well and functioning in spite of doctors' grim predictions. So please don't lose hope and live each day to the fullest.

Dassi52

• dassi52
    edited September 2012
    Options

5 years ago = left side - mastectomy (+ reconstruction, although  it was more complicated being that much older)

Doctors do not have the final say. It is all in G-d's hands and don't forget that! There are many of us out there who are alive and well and functioning in spite of doctors' grim predictions. So please don't lose hope and live each day to the fullest.

Dassi52

• dassi52
    edited September 2012
    Options

Dassi52