Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Options

Comments

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited January 2013
    Options

Pip57.

I too was told from surgery (which for me was only Aug 2012). I do find myself wishing the time away.....

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    Options

Then I am a SURVIVOR, almost 2 years since dx.  Have not had a full body scan, but a MRI to brain and back.  I have reached the point that it doesnt consume every moment of every day.  But I do wish that I coould get my doc to do a scan so that I was reassured that I am NED.

Love all the positive feedback!!!!

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited January 2013
    Options

I don't get scans either.  At first I found that alarming.  However, I have lost two friends who were given NED results only to become symptomatic 2-4 months later.  Both are gone.  Mets are a very different beast from primary tumours.

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks Pip, sometimes I feel that I am the only one.  However, it doesnt bother me like it use to only when someone asks,....then I get to thinking.  My onc is very popular in the area where I live.  I know many that get the scans from him but he must have a reason for not wanting to do them for me.  I look at it this way:  He must be pretty sure that the treatment is doing what it is suppose to.

Very active with working in the special ed dept. and farm life.  I occationally even exercise :)  Eating better than ever and trying to sort out all the information in regards to dairy, red meat, soy, sugar and alcohol.  If you have an opinion about any of it please PM me.

I had a neighbor ladyfriend that passed from BC and she never drank alcohol or smoked.  Another friend that did the same but she was a little overweight.  I dont think they can blame just one thing.  There is no family history for me when it comes to BC....so why me?

Congrats on your NED (can we say that if there are no scans?)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2013
    Options

Cindi smoking does not cause breast cancer… but it does cause lung, throat, mouth cancer as well as cardiovascular disease, dementia, high blood pressure, etc.

That said I was never overweight, barely drank even in college, have been active, and ate healthy most of my life. Did smoke off and on. I still got breast cancer. I am the family history. My chances of getting it at the age of diagnosis with all my risk factors (dense breast tissue, no kids) was less than 2%. Someone has to fall into that 2%

And remember those who have a family have an increase risk of getting it. It can be slight risk or high risk (BRCA gene +). It doesn't mean those of us with no family history don't have a risk.

Life happens. Read an interesting post on facebook today that went something like this: Don't let the past suck up your future.

• pip57
    edited January 2013
    Options

Yes, we can say NED even without scans.  No evidence...right?  I know what you mean about people asking though.  

• Geoff5
    Geoff5 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

My wife is now a five year survivor, and to celebrate I'm releasing the "Pink Christmas" Fundraiser CD in April.  To make it even more special, she agreed to attend the photo shoot, and to pose as the cover model. That was a big step for a fifth grade teacher, and she only rolled her a eyes a handful of times during the one hour session. LOL

She was the inpsiration for this project, and I couldn't be more proud of her.  "Sometimes... something good comes from something bad".

Edited by Mods to remove personal email address.

• bctx
    bctx Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

bctx is 9+ years and just getting older. 

• pip57
    edited January 2013
    Options

Giving bctx a standing ovation right now.Smile

• mnewman29
    mnewman29 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thank you ladies so much for sharing this!  I've been struggling lately but this really lifted my spirits.  

XOXO,

Melissa

• mnewman29
    mnewman29 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thank you ladies so much for sharing this!  I've been struggling lately but this really lifted my spirits.  My Mother was DX at 46, mastecomy and came back in the other breast at 67.  She is 76 this year!!!

XOXO,

Melissa

• turtle42
    turtle42 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    Options

Six years and 5 months here. I was diagnosed at 41. Just had mammo last month and so far all is good and I'm lovin life!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited January 2013
    Options

Question...I was originally diagnosed on 10/20/2012.  I finished active treatment on 10/31/2012.  When does my five years countdown begin?

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2013
    Options

hello sbelizabeth

have a look at this link..

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=135&id=786103&page=8 where only recently on

the above post i have asked the exact question -  very conflicting answers.

ive gone with when i was diagnosed which makes me 9 months now.

good luck.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2013
    Options

I say if you're using the word "survivor" then it's the day you were diagnosed. Remember those with mets are survivors too. NED is something different and depends on treatment IMO

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited January 2013
    Options

Five years today from my dx! It took awhile to get all of the specifics, of course, but Jan. 18 was the date of "the" phone call. I made it through two lumpectomies (no clean margins), a uni mastectomy, 6 x Taxol, Carboplatin, Herceptin, and then finished the year of Herceptin. I also participated in the Neratinib clinical trial (one year.)

Feeling great at age 59 - hike, take a weight class twice a week, and looking forward to my first grandchild, another daughter's wedding in July, my son's high school graduation, and RETIREMENT after 36 years of teaching high school English. Life is good!

Edited to say ooops! Apparently, according to my dx line, I was dx on Jan. 15! I never thought I'd forget that date.

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

lol- sue how could you forget -  its not still chemo brain hahaha

CONGRATULATIONS

• suemed8749
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks, liv! I'm going on a "girls' " weekend (OK, old ladies' weekend), and I plan to resemble that smiley!

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2013
    Options

I am almost 7.5 years out of stage IIb, diagnosed at age 41...will be 49 in May!

Michele

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

excellent curlylocks, another 100 to go.

congratulations.

xx

• suemed8749
    edited January 2013
    Options

Congratulations, Curlylocks! 

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295
    edited January 2013
    Options

Just clocked up my 21 years!

• Shari0707
    Shari0707 Member Posts: 260
    edited January 2013
    Options

Congrats curly locks! And everyone

• mandymoo
    mandymoo Member Posts: 632
    edited January 2013
    Options

6 years last December. Great to see so many survivors.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    edited January 2013
    Options

Wow!!! What an inspirational group this is!!! Congrats to each of you, here's to many, many more!!!

--Your Mods

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

jezza babe, you little warrior, well done 22 years.

was looking at mums path, got it when i did the genetics test. 1994 - it says 9 nodes examined - no evidence, axillar apex  & 5 nodes cross section also examined, no evidence. ductal carcinomao -15mm grade 1.

so in todays standard she would not have had a mastectomy, perhaps just rads.

do remember at the time her saying "want it off" they sure took it off, nothing like my clean neat scars, she looked like she had been butchered,  radical.. just a bit of trivia for you love. lol

xx

• tarlo1334
    tarlo1334 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

Tarlo1334, 5/3/2007

• cleomoon
    cleomoon Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013
    Options

I hope it is ok to add to this thread. I wanted to honor my Warriroress Mom. She was diagnosed in 1983 and then in 1992 had mets to the bones. She died in 2004. So she survived 21 yrs!! She is my heroine.

• Lorijo6600
    Lorijo6600 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

13 1/2 years since original dx.

• Jubby
    Jubby Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    Options

Cleomoon, you are a beautiful daughter. Thanks for sharing with us. xox