Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    edited December 2012
    Options

Karen1956.....6 years 10 months since Dx.....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    Options

NoMoreMeh-I am out 8 years and 4 months from a stage lllB diagnosis.

• betny22
    betny22 Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2012
    Options

This is the most inspiring topic, gives alot of us who are just going through it such faith..thank you to all you wonderful ladies that come back here and post, it means so much!

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2012
    Options

11 years on May 2.  Finished 5 years of tamoxifen, followed by 5 years of femara

Excisional biopsy, lumpectomy, re-excision, chemo, radiation.  IDC and DCIS (comedo), Stage IIB, ER/PR+, HER2-, 1 positive node.  I don't post that often, but still check the boards on a regular basis, especially before the annual mammogram.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2012
    Options

Today is my 5 year anniversary!  Cool

Five years ago I was about to start 18 weeks of chemotherapy (6*TAC every three weeks).  Today, I'm embarking on another grueling 18 weeks, but this time it's for a good thing - I'm celebrating 5 years out by doing an 18 week training plan to run a half marathon later this year. (No I was not a runner before dx and really have no idea why I'm doing such a crazy thing, except that I want to do something special to celebrate and this seems appropriate.)

I am so very fortunate that I have no evidence of disease thus far.  I know there is never any guarantee, but as LindaLou said, I am concentrating on LIVING each and every day, and somehow those days have turned into weeks, then months, and now 5 years.   Go me and all of us! 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited December 2012
    Options

NatsFan that's fantastic. No reason not to think you're cured if you're still NED. Remember there is no known cure doesn't mean that some of us aren't cured. They just don't know. 5 years is a sign in that direction. Good luck with the marathon. I personally feel that at a certain age running is just too hard on the body. For me that was age 10 Tongue Out I'm impressed you're training for this. You go girl!

• aisha1
    aisha1 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Options

hi, my name is aisha i was Dx with dcis stage 3, 16/16 positive last summer holiday, next week it will be my last chemo i,m very scared they told me i,m high risque for it to come back again i hope it wan,t ,and i,m knew to this site thanks aisha

• aisha1
    edited December 2012
    Options

hi. alyson  i have IIIC stage 3 16/16 positive congratulation about your 5 years i hope i will be here in the next five years , can u tell me please if u are on any diet, thanks aisha

• lago
    edited December 2012
    Options

Aisha1 sent you a PM

• aisha1
    edited December 2012
    Options

sorry i don,t undrestand

• aisha1
    edited January 2013
    Options

i,m very happy for u.i hope i will be here next 20 years did u fallow any diet. thanks aisha

• aisha1
    edited January 2013
    Options

hi Jezza I,m very happy for u.i hope i will be here next 20 years did u fallow any diet. thanks aisha

• hope59
    hope59 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

I remember when I hit the 5 year mark, I was so excited. Now, it will be 10 years in Feb 2013. I am doing great and going strong.

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope59,

Big congrats to you..

• liv-
    liv- Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2013
    Options

congrats &  loads of ((hugs)) to all you 5year+ WARRIORS!!

XX

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

hello lovelies i know this has been asked before.

when does the count start from., april when diagnosed or after mastectomy aug with path report?

hoping its april but i think you guys will say aug after mast??

xx

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited January 2013
    Options

I was told when tx was finished..

• lago
    edited January 2013
    Options

Perth it depends on a lot of things. Survivor usually means since your diagnosis.

I count NED (no evidence of disease) which for me was after surgery. I had surgery first. Some women do chemo first and get a complete responce so it might be after chemo for them.

So my survivor date is 2.5 years but my NED date is 2 years 3 months.

• CherylinOhio
    CherylinOhio Member Posts: 149
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi all, just wanted to say Thank You for taking the time to post here! I am 2 months into my 2nd year after active treatment. So march 2013 will begin my 3rd year from dx.  I hope to be here in 5 and 10 to inspire new people, well actually I hope by then there will be no more more newly dx.  Cheers to all of you!!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2013
    Options

As for when the 5 years starts - I've never heard of any officially defined time when it starts.  I count the day I was dx - from that moment I was a breast cancer survivor.  My BS seemed to pretty much agree with that - I had annual follow ups with her till this year - she said since I was so close to my 5 year mark she could discharge me.  My MO switches to annual appointments after 5 years of AIs, so that anniversary isn't till this June.  So, like Iago says, I think you can pick any of your days (dx, surgery, completion of active treatment, etc.) that seems significant to you, and start counting!

Hope - love your 10 year mark - thanks for posting the encouragement!

• CherylinOhio
    CherylinOhio Member Posts: 149
    edited January 2013
    Options

My onc says it starts after active treatment ends which makes sense.  I count from November  2011 as that was last rad, but last chemo was sept 8.  I am using November 2011 as my start date.

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

thanks ladies im going to go with nationals, when i was diagnosed which was april 2012, seems  like have been thru so much,  if i start countdown end of treatment, it only means 4 months, just for minds sake i am 8 months out...lolKiss

xxx

• lago
    edited January 2013
    Options

BTW the ACS (American Cancer Society) also counts "survivor" date as the day you were diagnosed. That makes sense. Being NED is different from survivor. You're a survivor through the entire journey regardless of your NED status.

• liv-
    edited January 2013
    Options

thanks lago that does make sense about NED & survivor.  i'm alive.

xx

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,995
    edited January 2013
    Options

Whenever you started counting, you have our cheers for your every milestone!

• Jubby
    Jubby Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    Options

So loving this topic.  Keep the success stories coming.  I was diagnosed a little over a month ago and have 2 young kids - 15 months and 4 and a half. I so want to see them become adults and reading these posts gives me hope.  You are all amazing ladies!!!  

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited January 2013
    Options

lago - it seems to make sense, to me, that "survivor" date would be from the moment Stage and Grade was given, as survival statistics relate back, so often, to Stage and Grade.  My MO said it is from the moment of NED.  I had chemo post BMX, so she said my date was the date of my BMX.  Also, the final stage can't be determined until atleast Sentinel Node Biopsy and/or maybe Pet Scans.

Jubby - you do have hope! xxo

• BilateralBeauties
    BilateralBeauties Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2013
    Options

I needed the survivor stories today. I too count day of dx. I'm 16 months into my journey, but less than a year from rads. The early days are hard days and I got through them. I had a double diagnosis in August 2011. Pleased to be here chatting with all of you. This post is great.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited January 2013
    Options

I personally count from the dx.  To me, that is when the fight began.  However, my onc tells me it should be from surgery to remove the tumour as that is when you become cancer free.

• lago
    edited January 2013
    Options

I still think surviving and NED (no evidence of disease) are two separate things. I'm going with the American Cancer Society's definition that you become a survivor the day you are diagnosed.