Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kiwi ladies who need encouragment, but all welcome.

Options

Comments

• midnight1327
    midnight1327 Member Posts: 1,331
    Options

we going  over to Whanganui to pick up a mini horse at some stage, he will have some mates as we have three others  and a donkey called Chrissy  and clysdale called shana and the minitures are Danny, Bella and Buddy with Leo joining the clan. so i hope he travels well, looking forward to seeing him. Darn cold here in Palmy again, GRR. was not too bad yesterday. keep the birds covered up i think.  i am just wondering  and i hope i don't as i did not  last time, how does it go down with been on a farm handling animals with having chemo. i know the imune system is lowered considerably and the risk of infection is more raised, we have a number of animals,  and reptiles too like blue tongue lizards and bearded dragons, will they be a threat to my health if i do need chemo as we are shifing out to  farm, aint got a choice. house we in has to be sold. any ideas please enlighten me. thanks take care.

• Kiakaha
    Kiakaha Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi the second Zometa for me had hardley any side effects. The first was very simalar to your experience. Drunk heaps of water the days leading up to the infusion and took some Panadol just before, seemed to do the trick. Good luck this time :)

Just moved into a new/old house for a fresh start down here in chch. Love it........ It's going to be a cold week :)

• Kiakaha
    Options

Hi kt1966 the second Zometa for me had hardley any side effects. The first was very simalar to your experience. Drunk heaps of water the days leading up to the infusion and took some Panadol just before, seemed to do the trick. Good luck this time :)

Just moved into a new/old house for a fresh start down here in chch. Love it........ It's going to be a cold week :)

• kt1966
    kt1966 Member Posts: 1,021
    Options

Hi Kiakaha. Hope you've got some good heating! Fun to be in a new house (even if its old)- was your last house damaged by the quake?

My onc says my zometa infusions are too far apart to 'get used to', so has prescribed that I take anti-nausea tabs & nurofen for 2 days before hand & during to get my levels of it up. I'm still not looking forward to it!

I need to go out and do some outside jobs before the horrible weather hits. I'm off to the Gold Coast on Friday, my hubby is working there at the mo. Hopefully the weather will be warm & sunny Smile

Hope everyone had a nice long weekend. 

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    Options

Hope the new house Kiakaha is a warm one as the cold snap is going to be snapping at our heals this week (Brrrrrrr). Hope the treatments you are all having goes smoothly and that the weather in the GC is warm and sunny for you Kate. Had a brilliant time in Rotovegas ans I thought I would share the sunshine with you all

Lake Rotorua in all its glory

• midnight1327
    Options

Hi there Girls, hope you are all nice and rested. glad to see you all back on here. its lovely having a forum for us and our ausy sisters to come and share on.  Hope you are settled in your house and keeping warm Kiakaha. i see you guys are still rumbling down there, gosh is ever going to stop. i really feel for you having to have that all the time, shaking ground. take care. thinking of you.

• Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi All

I have just found this section of the forum. I am just coming up to 6 years from my 2nd dx and am finally getting myself sorted after having a disasterous time when my bi-lateral reconstructions failed competely 2 years ago. It will be nice to get to know some ladies closer to home. I'm in Palmy Nth

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Hi Rae!  How are you doing?  Alls well at this end........or should I say alls as well as can be .........lol

Love n hugs.   Chrissy 

• midnight1327
    Options

Hi Rae, thought i would come back and have a look and see if anybody had posted on the site. This is a forum for us Kiwis and Australian ladies combind. I go on to their australian sisters one and they are a lovely bunch to talk to and very knowlegable and very supportive. so feel free to come and talkk to us all. A few of the girls got the moderators to give us a seperate forum for us down here, Australian and NZ.  I am from  Palmy North too, so we in the same town. hope to see you back soon.

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hello to you all! So great to find this thread Kiss I live in Christchurch and am a year out from dx. Had BMX last August and still adjusting to new "flat" look.... I am feeling really well, but do worry about mets etc. I shall enjoy reading your posts and being part of this group. Love to you all.
  • Kiakaha
    Options

Thanks everyone, the house is going great apart from a leak...... The snow was lovely and the kids had heaps of fun.... Really magic watching the snow through the window in front of the fire :) kt966 good luck with the zometa, hope it goes ok. Hi Rowan47, what part of chch do u live in. Hope your home is ok. Maybe we should catch up for a coffee .

Take care everyone xx

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi Kiakaha, our house is munted Cry We lived in Strowan, and got heaps of liquifaction,, so we have moved out to Ohoka. Don't feel anything under M4 now Kiss Had heaps of snow and cars got stuck in driveway! Hoping it will clear soon. Soooo cold!! What area are you in?
  • Rainenz
    Rainenz Member Posts: 21
    Options

Got the phone call I have been waiting for.  I go in next tue for reconstruction round 2 on Wed. I will be having a Lat dorsi this time and only getting one side done at a time.  I am really excited to be finally getting this done but very nervious and anxous at the same time after all the problems last time. So please say a prayer for me and keep fingers crossed all goes to plan this time.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    Options

Gosh Rainenz - that's not much notice.  One week?

I've not had recon yet. I frankly can't be bothered this year, but next year it's on the list.

• Hils
    Options

Rainenz will be thinking of you for next Tuesday, will definately be hoping that everything goes smoothly for you. Big hugs

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Good luck Rae, hope it all goes well for you!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• kt1966
    Options

Hi girls,

Not too much going on here! Hope your recon goes well next week Rainenz. I admire you for doing it- I'm too wussy. (I do hate being lop-sided tho)

I hope everyone is keeping warm. Its cold enough up here in the northern bit of the NI! We had a frost, brrr- I can't imagine snow- our houses are too cold!

I had a lovely time in Aus with my hubby. Shame the weather wasn't better, so much for winter sun, it was overcast, cool & showery. Better luck next time hopefully. Anyways have a good day Smile wherever you are

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    Options

Chilly morning in Auckland. About to take my sister for a scan - she had bowel cancer two years ago and this is just a check up hopefully.

Hope all is going well for folks.

• midnight1327
    Options

Hope you are ok Rae. hope everything went smoothly, Take care. XXX

• midnight1327
    Options

Alyson, hope things are well for your sister and her scan ok. Bowel cancer is another biggy  at the moment, becoming too wide spread and with young people too. hope she is ok and pray you well too. Take care. xxxx

• Hils
    Options

Hope the bowel scan for your sister Alyson went well

Visited my BS today and got a pleasant surprise, was expecting my last fill of my TE and then a possible date for exchange. It transpires that when they popped in my TE they gave me a Silicon / saline one (news to me 3 months after the op) and they do not have to remove it, all they have to do is remove the detachable port. Still need an op and as my port has been problematic to find they will do the final fill at the same time as the op.

Was offered a nipple reconstruction and a lift to my droopy foob to match my perky foob. But have to say the negatives out way the positives. Plus I dont think I will be doing any nude modelling etc in the near future so who cares, in clothes no one is the wiser.

Hope everyone stays warm over these next few chilly days

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    Options

Hallo Ladies.  I was checking in to see what folks were saying about Arimidex, since its been a royal pain, then I  stumbled across this forum.. Havent been frequenting BC Forums much these days, but I must say its great to have a Kiwi/Oz forum. I remember mentioning something about this some time ago so its good to see it finally happen. NZ and OZ girls and guys just have our own set of circumstances that differ so much to US girls, for example, our medical system is just so different.

All the best for your op Rae. Thinking of you. Indeed youre a brave lady. 

kt1966, I hear you on the lopsided business. Because I wasnt small, it actually caused me to get a back ache. That and among other things I had Prophy Mast. so going flat when it suits, like around home, is wonderful. Hubby really supportive. I can also wear small foobs that dont weigh a ton Yell  like that prosthesis   (spelling???) ..Mmmm glad to ditch that. LOL

Hope the scan goes well for your Siss Alyson. Im sure I heard on the news the other day something about NZ having the highest rate in the world for bowel cancer. Not nice in any event.  

• kt1966
    Options

Hey Musical. Did you have to go private to get your prophy mastectomy? I'd really quite like to do that too, but any time I mention it, its like 'you don't need to do that...'. Actually, it would be nice to be flat & not worry about whats going on in the remaining breast (my last BC didn't show on mammo).

Alyson, hope your sister's appointment went well.

I'm sitting here with our kitten on my lap, sound asleep for once- not racing around being a loon- and there is so much to do but she's so warm I don't want to move!

I think I'm a bit tired- it was a race to get the kids to school because I didn't wake up till 7:50, the alarm was too quiet! 

(edited for spellingWink

• midnight1327
    Options

Hello Girls, i was up rounding cows up, early they had their TB testing done tuesday and today was the check and they all clear, tomorrow  we are crutching sheep that are very needey of it, and this arvo i am going to get more exercise as we well. get them under cover incase it rains and get wool shed ready. gosh really getting my walks done for the week that i am supposed to do every day to help colestreol but i get lazy and unmotivated. sheep are so dumb, but they do follow the leader if you get them in right direction. I am not fast and the boys expect me to keep up,  i get sore back and ribs from the running. I've been a city girl most of life and then i am a farming one,  not too bad for an old girl, lol  hope everybody is ok and Rae recovering well and hi to new ladies. it is indeed great to have a forum for us down here. the states do have a different medical system, but i still like to go in and have a chat.

• kt1966
    Options

Hils, just read your post- sounds like the op will be less invasive at least. Are you happy with the results? When is that last fill?

I have actually moved and done some work- haven't been sitting here all this time! But I like to pop back between jobs if I'm at home to check the  forum (does that make it an addiction?).

Have fun rounding up sheep midnight, sounds like good fresh air and exercise. I've got to drench the sheep & goats today- but we only have 2 of each, so not a hard job- the goats are easy, the sheep not so much. 

Have a good day all. 

• midnight1327
    Options

We usually drench the sheep after their crutching, while they still in the yards, they geta gob full of blue stuff and some other stuff down their tail end for the fly strike, i do hope they behave and just go in yards with out a hassel. hubby will take farm bike and that usually wrks wonders,  YEA sure fresh air, nice to breath it in. i will sleep well tonight.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    Options

Just got back from town, Im checking in.

Hi kt, no I didnt have to go private. I had Prophy 11 months after the cancer side, which was almost 3 years ago. I'd tried various things, like the prosthesis, which did weigh a lot and I found the bras just dig into my shoulder which was REALLY aggravating. Also I didnt like the deep itching and stuff going on deep within my shoulder from the surgery and bras digging in making it worse. Even now my shoulder is still partially numb along with areas under arm and with some woman this can continue for the rest of our lives. Then I starting feeling lumpiness going on in my 'good' side and I thought blow this. I really dont want to do mammograms again and again, I dont want the back ache and the constant dramas.  After weighing it all up I dont have one bit of regret. Just remember with cancer, every choice you have to make is ALWAYS without fail, the lesser of 2 evils, doesnt matter what you do. 

I think every woman should be given the right to to make her own decision about this. The only caution I would give is that as long as she thinks it through very carefully. Once its gone its gone. So the things I took into account was how my hubby felt, how old Iam, how big I am, how much drama its going to cause if I do keep it, including but not limited to the chance of a new primary. Going from memory ( I might be wrong) I dont think you get mets in opposite side. Also your staging and what other measures (treatments) youve taken all come into it. Indeed you can see why its very much a personal decision with all the variables.

All that said, when I did my thinking and made my decision, I put it to my surgeon. When I did, I was very definite in what I wanted and there was absolutely NO wavering. I showed him my note book describing the pros and cons. Now, all this aside, I know a lot can change just in a matter of a couple of years. It could be in your situ that they have too much of a waiting list I dont know. It would be interesting to find out thats for sure. So, if youve really thought this through, and decided its right for you, then I would press my case. Anyway, who is it thats telling you "you dont need to do this" how  do they know?

I was the same kt, in that I had a mammo around 1 month before I found my lump which was extremely deep and more to the center of my chest. It didnt show on Mamm.

The good part for me is I've always liked to sometimes lie on my tummy and its no probs now whereas B4 it would hurt. I just love the fact I dont have the same weight to carry around. Its quite an 'adventure' discovering what are good options for foobies and what suits you. It can be quite a challenge for some woman, again, every ones different, so this needs thought as well. If you are ther type that is really particular about how they feel and look, then that adventure has a few more challenges. Theres a great forum that deals with all this and theres heaps of choices and ideas. I think this is the one below.

Living Without Reconstruction After a Mastectomy

Hey is that a goat in your pik with the horse. We really like goats, they are sooooo so naughty  Wink but have personality plus. Had one for years and talk about get some laughs!  Laughing

Hi midnite,  Yes it is good to see all the info here, and theres much that is very interesting from a research point of view, that is significant for everybody. On the other hand,  just like other countries have their own 'flavour' I reckon that us girls and guys downunder have our own unique flavour as well. Things like language nuances and suchlike. Ive found it quite challenging sometimes to 'get' what some girls are talking about because of these differences. As such, I find our own area is a good thing.

Musical

• Hils
    Options

Wow Midnight it sounds like you have had your work cut out on the farm, and coming from the city - very impressed. I know my brother worked in Dairy for a while and it can be a hard job and cold. But then I am a wuss!

Kt it sounded idyllic sitting with the kitten on your lap this morning, but I am sure that did not last long for you. As for your question re 'am I happy with the result' - I would say yes and no. Its never the same as the real thing, and with a UMX you always have your natural foob for comparison. But luckily I wear clothes the majority of the time and you would never guess if you did not know. I even have my cleavage back! My last fill will be done at the time of the op and I do not have a date as yet.

Musical I get your reasoning behind having your proph MX, I have to say Iam not looking forward to the yearly mamos etc especially as like many woman the mamo was useless for me.

Lets hope it is a sunny weekend and the ABs win on Saturday

• midnight1327
    Options

Just got back home after chasing those DAM sheep, the little buggers found every flaming loop hole to take off across the paddock and out from where they were supposed to be going, my hubby is hoarse and i am sore as i tripped over a few times over on uneven ground and am very glad i had fifty acreas of paddock to swear in and nobody could have me up for bad language. they  were so naughty, ten of them decided to be a pain in the A, my ribs ache and so does  my back. We finally got them into yards for  there crutching tomorrow and in three weeks guess where they off to, YEP,  the works. there is about 180 and only ten of them decided they were not going to oblidge and  man i am so over this sheep chasing bussiness. i am now warming up and will have a hot drink. have a good weekend everybody.

• kt1966
    Options

Thanks Musical and Hils- good to get your perspectives on prophy mastectomy & recon or not. I just wish I had both taken off at the same time. While I really hate being lop-sided & hate wondering 'is there cancer' in my good boob, I also don't want more surgery and like my boob- talk about mixed up. There is no simple answer!

Well done with the sheep midnight- good to get that job out of the way. (In my case it turned out it was easier drenching the sheep rather than the goats- but both were fine, I'm glad its done too.)

Hope you all had a good weekend. My DH was back from Aus so we had a nice catch up. He's tired from the travelling so a quiet weekend, had to leave at 4am to get the plane back today. Beautiful day on sat, went for a walk on the beach yesterday- good to blow the cobwebs out!