Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone ER + taking Metformin alone or in addition to Tamoxifen ?

Options
2»

Comments

• princesstina
    princesstina Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2015
    Options

I've been taking metformin for 9 years and was diagnosed with bc april 2015.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2015
    Options

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2009 now five years.....Have been on metformin since 2004......No Tamox....no Rads....no Chemo.....Stage 0 Grade 2

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited November 2015
    Options

I was on metformin for years and got bilateral BC.

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited March 2016
    Options

been on metformin since end of 2011.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,271
    edited March 2016
    Options

It’s time next month for my lipid panel & fasting glucose. I understand AIs increase both. I have central obesity and drug-controlled hypertension, and if my LDL and glucose/a1c go up I might find myself in Metabolic-Syndrome-Land. My husband (a cardiologist) put himself on a statin last year--after surgery for a botched colonoscopy & hernia repair he lost >30 lbs. but once he was fully recovered he gained it back and then some. We’re both in our mid-60s. He says if his glucose is up he’s going to try metformin. My MO is a believer in doing as much as you can via lifestyle changes (mostly exercise) , but with an increase in both weight and arthritis--plus prohibited to do impact exercise lest I loosen my knee implants--that’s easier said than done. In 2012, after I was recovering from my first knee replacement and about to be transferred to rehab, my glucose had shot up from its usual low 90s into the high 120s. My surgeon said that the stress of surgery will often do that temporarily. But my peri-op doc--an athletic Czech-Austrian, slender & stylish even into her 70s, told me I should consider metformin even after my sugar normalized because it helps with weight control. She said she’d been on it for years (and had also hoarded 1000 Vioxx for her arthritis as soon as she learned it was about to be recalled). And this was long before bc was in my cross-hairs. So if Bob puts himself on it, he might put me on it too if my fasting glucose is >100. (Last it was checked it was 93, but that was my pre-lumpectomy bloodwork).

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited March 2016
    Options

I enrolled in a clinical trial with metformin, and I'm certain I was in the treatment arm, not placebo. I tolerated it well. When the trial finished, I talked my MO into prescribing it for me, based on the research that seems to indicate a protective effect. I'm not diabetic, but I have a long family history of it, and I've become a little "round in the middle," despite exercise and a reasonable diet. It it helps prevent metabolic syndrome as well as bc recurrence, that's great!

• Tamian
    Tamian Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Options

I am diabetic and have been on metformin for at least 3 years. I had LCIS 5 years ago and was told the biopsy got it all. Tamoxifen was advised but I did not take it. Here I am 5 years later. Just got diagnosed with ductal cancer invasive in the other breast. I am also taking gleevec, for CML a leukemia I was diagnosed with 1 1/2 years ago. Surgery is tuesday. I imagine i will be taking metformin, gleevec (both targeted chemo drugs) in addition to metformin, which I take because I am also diabetic. Maybe this info will be of use to you. Metformin did not stop me from getting breast cancer a second time

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited May 2016
    Options

I have taken Metformin for many years for Insulin Resistance. I still got breast cancer.

• pezgal
    pezgal Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2016
    Options

^ Ditto. I got cancer after taking metformin for 3 yrs. (insulin resistance).