Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Weekly Taxol group

Options

Comments

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2012
    Options

omg- i'm so glad to hear the mood and head scramble is not just my thing.

I just went through 3 of the most evil days of my life. Like I said- i had menopause, taxol and cancer all taunting me- not to mention the full moon. I snapped.

and I'm not normally like that at all.
    I try to keep calm. I have a 2 year old Leo- I have plenty of chaos as it is.

I know now what to expect if it comes on again.
    whew.

It is easier than AC- but harder. if that makes any sense.

i also started supplementing this taxol with turkey tail medicinal mushroom in nano form, as well as L-Glutamine. 

• Elizabeth_D
    Elizabeth_D Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    Options

Just home from Taxol #3.  Told him we needed to change something as my SE were unbearable.  SEcond Taxol I had 5 or 5 days that I was up and around, doing a bit of work.  This time, stomach pain all the was through, neuropathy, could hardly walk without falling and cry and feeling very DOWN.  He decreased my dose by 20% and did prescibe effexor, Ladyfigher..  So onward!  Hoping this will give more peace. 

• ladyfighter
    ladyfighter Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2012
    Options

Going for #11 tomorrow hopefully my blood work will be good!

Jpmom, so glad all went well with you!! Keep in touch!!

Elizabeth, wow! Taxol did really bad on you! Are you on dd taxol x 4?? I was supposed to have dd taxol x4 but my MO changed his mind switched to 12 weeks taxol with herceptin. I was glad he did because I had dd AC x 4 it was awful too strong! Hope you are okay! What was the reason ur dr want u on Effexor?

Hope everyone is good! Xoxox

• Pkate
    Pkate Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012
    Options

Gang, I finished my chemo today and rang the bell!  I was feeling so horrible this week (Elizabeth D - my symptoms were the same as yours) with stomach aches and bone pain but handled them with Pepto and Alleve.  I went in today and my ANC count was 948!  I thought it would be a no-go but the nurse and dr put their heads and a plan together - as this is my last chemo, I can get a neulasta shot to bring the counts up higher.  My nadir will be day 10-14 and unfortunately, I am traveling by plane to Texas to take care of things with my sister (in hospice) and my Dad (nursing home) so I will need to be really careful.  The nurse told me today something I hadn't learned before - not to eat any fruits with skin on them (like strawberries, blueberries, apples and also not to do any gardening without gloves!  I had just purchased a Vitamix and was making smoothies like crazy so that's on hold for a few weeks. 

It feels so good to be done and get hugged by all the staff, even my doctor.  I give all of you all a virtual hug as you continue down this journey!  Remember your friends are medicine for your soul!

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ladyfighter, Effexor because I am feeling very down and depressed on the Taxol.  Effexor is supposed to help with hot flashes/ night sweats.  Yes, I am on dd Taxol.  Good luck with your blood work....

Pkate, Congratulations on your last one, hope you are feeling OK, sounds like you are doing tough duty with family.  

Thanks to all of you for participating in this with me.  

• MandalaB
    edited August 2012
    Options

Congrats Pkate!

xo to you and your family <3 safe travels....

today is day 3 of my Taxol #3 and the crash happened after me trying to hold it up at work- I went in at 6 and left by 10:30. So tired. 

Waves of bone pain, some make me cry out because it's so sudden.
    I broke down and picked up the vicodin rx they gave me. Husband is out at work till 11 and the kids aren't home tonight so it's ok to be a zombie. I hate painkillers.
    The mood thing I was able to talk about my oncologist's RN (I see her more than my oncologist at this point)- she was very sweet and talked to me about a lot of stuff I was holding in that I felt noone understood. I didn't expect her to relate so much.

• hopeful123
    hopeful123 Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2012
    Options

Finished with tx 8, 4 more to go. Today is day 3 and I am exhausted. My stomach issues are a little better. I have been taking prilosec everyday and it seems to help.

Pkate- like your new avatar. Hope your visit goes fine.

Ladyfighter - good luck with tx 11

Elizabeth - hang in there we will be done soon.

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

MandalaB--The only thing that helped my bone pain was advil.  I got permission to take it for just those few days of extreme bone pain.  Pain killers did not help so much...fyi.  This is day 3 for me also.  I am having to do both advil and pain script.  This has an end to it, but geez it feels so good to hear from someone on the same treatment!  Thanks, I will be thinking of you tonight. 

Hopeful123, we will be done soon.   

• Sissydi
    Sissydi Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi everybody! Somehow this topic got removed from my favorites, so I've missed some !

Yes, rang the bell this week! No more Taxol!

My port had a fibrin sheath on the tip, which was clogging it up, but they were able to get it working with a clot busting drug.....so glad because they were talking about going up through my femoral artery to clean it off, ugh!

Saw my rad onc this week; looks like I'll be starting my rads next month. Then a trip to a P.T. For lymphadema education! So many docs and appts, I'm really getting worn out :(

• ladyfighter
    ladyfighter Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2012
    Options
    OY VEY!!! I am speechless! I don't have chemo anymore! Nurse left message on my answering machine llast wednesday that thursday's appointment is canceled. It was misunderstanding on my part from my medical oncologist I saw last Thursday that he said the taxol/herceptin treatment I was having last Thursday was actually LAST one. It was supposed to be 12 weekly treatments, those two treatments I missed due to illness didn't need to be replaced as per my MO! I don't know whether I should be doing happy dance, or be puzzled as to why I didn't need two more to be completed 12 weeks!? I wont know real answer to this until I see MO again next Thursday. DH tells me I should "TRUST" my MO on his decision with my 10 treatments instead of 12. When I see him next week, he is going to discuss to get me appointment to have MUGA scan (Multiple Gated Acquisition scan) because I am having Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year. So my MO wanted to make sure my heart is fine before starting me Herceptin, and will have MUGA scan every 3 months throughout my Herceptin treatments. 

However, I am also getting Radiation as well! My MO will set me appointment to meet Radiology Oncologist to discuss my radiation treatment, I am guessing I am getting 6 weeks, every day Monday to Friday for 6 straight weeks doing radiation. I will learn more when meeting new RO.

SOOOOOO That means I am already PFC since last Thursday (August 2)!!!???? I didnt get chance to ring the bell cause I didnt know! booooo.. What do you think about all this? 10 Taxol/herceptin instead of 12?? 

I am going to buy air tickets to go to New York for few days during Sept 8th to see my son and his gf and somewhat family reunion/clam bake day in port washington that I couldnt miss! My MO said I can go before starting radiation so I can take a break from all this, but not sure when I am starting herceptin, knowing I need MUGA scan first before begin herceptin. 

Anyone of you who are on herceptin already had MUGA scan? or any other heart check ups?

Looking forward to get my eyelashes and eyebrows back that I am PFC last week, how soon am I expecting to see them growing again?

Sissydi, why are you going Lymphadema education? So glad your port is fixed! looks like we need new thread for our radiation journey for Sept?? I think monitor should add new headers for Herception because it is targeted therapy and I dont see any targeted therapy in this forum? Take care!!!

Elizabeth, hope you feeling good today with no pains. Give Effexor some time to work, usually 2 weeks to a month and you will feel good, but sometimes doesnt work for everyone as it does for me, on it faithfully for 7 years, I look effexor as a my good "vitamin".

Pakada, yay!!! PFC!!! Happy for you!

HOpeful and Manadala, HOpe all is well with you!

Hugs xoxoxox 

• Sissydi
    edited August 2012
    Options

Lady fighter, my rad onc recommended it, as he says some women get lymphedema from rads, so I'll go and check it out....I need a sleeve anyway in case I travel by airplane!

• hopeful123
    hopeful123 Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ladyfighter- yeah, glad you are done. New york sounds like fun.

Good luck to all of you going on to rads.

• MandalaB
    edited August 2012
    Options

congrats to you guys who got off the Taxol train! woot woot!

....i found Vicodin wasn't much of a help last night. I had the bone pain, but it was dull and I kept falling asleep on the couch and waking up with strange feelings someone was in the house with me.
    If I have a glass or 2 of good red wine, I relax.

I wasn't given any restrictions- but the wine seems to mellow out the bone pain the most.

I miss normal days. a lot.

• Sissydi
    edited August 2012
    Options

Me too.

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mandala, how often are you getting taxol?  No sleep for me last night due to stomach issues, but per some suggestions I did try zantac and pepto bismal and I am a bit bettter.  Bone pain just about a 5, so thinking I will be better in the next few days with these SE anyway!  Sleep well all.  Peace.

Ladyfighter, YEA!!! way to go.   Keep us posted. I so hope the trip works out, that would be so good for you. 

• Lauren423
    Lauren423 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ladyfighter... I had a MUGA before i began my 12 taxol/herceptin treatments (had #4 this morning). I have 9 months of herceptin to follow. MO says I'll get them quarterly for the year.

• MandalaB
    edited August 2012
    Options

I get it every Monday or Tuesday.
    I need 12. Monday is #4. :)

i thought i possibly was going into menopause- since my period was a week late (I must be made of hormones because they stayed quite regular through the AC) 2 weeks ago.
    Now it finally arrived 2 fridays ago. and it doesn't seem to be stopping.
    wah.

• lola0415
    lola0415 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Options

I just had my first of twelve taxol treatments Thursday.  I feel great compared to the A/C.  I can't believe the difference.  The only problem was the Benadryl.  I slept for seven hours.  Next week they are going to give me half the dose.  I have only missed two days of work since starting chemo back in June.  I am so glad I found this group it has been really helpful.  Lots of great information.

• Sissydi
    edited August 2012
    Options

Lola, you'll find taxol much easier to get through!

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited August 2012
    Options

This is great to know! I start Taxol around the 20th and really was hoping it would be easier than AC. What a relief~

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ok, my third Taxol (DD will have a total of 4, one every two weeks, one more to go!). My chemo was 5 days ago, and I am experiencing intense bone pain, but have had that last few times.  My new one is fingers are numb and face.  Fingers are the worst, any suggestions, dear ones?

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2012
    Options

My nurse suggest Tylenol arthritis, but I haven't tried it yet.  I'm on weekly, but I've got some pretty intense pain.  The end of the day is much worse, too.  I also use heating pads. I don't know that it really helps with the pain - it's comforting to me, though.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited August 2012
    Options

Pkate. I'm so.sorry about your family so sad.

Elizabeth. there's a great talk about neuropathy on the living beyond breast cancer website. they talk about using glutamate or alpha lipoic acid to decrease nerve damage. make sure to tell your doctor about this side effect. they can play with the chemotherapy formula to help

• whaevah
    edited August 2012
    Options

As for glutamine, I experienced facial neuropathy during AC, I know weird but chemo nurse thought it my be Cytoxan bothering sinus cavity.

I purchased glutamine for the 12 taxol rounds next so thought I would give it a try. Worked like a charm . I used 10g in my morning protein shake.

Hope  it works as well on Taxol.

gritgirl I listened to the podcast as well...luv your blog :)

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

Gritgirl, I actually followed whaevah's lead and read your blog.  The part on neuropathy and taxol was inspiring and I feel better about living with this crazy roaming neuropathy, pain and imbalance.  Thank-you both.

• allisontom911
    allisontom911 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2012
    Options

No chemo for me this week. White count and neutrophil to low. So bummed. I didnt want any delays :(

We are leaving for the Iowa State Fair Thursday morning, staying over night then heading to Mall of America. So excited. They put me on antibiotics for a week just to be safe.

Hope everyone has a great week

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited August 2012
    Options

Whaevah. i love your user name. i wish i'd found out about the glutamate before chemotherapy. i'm hoping the alpha lipoic will fix things.

Elizabeth. Glad the blog helped.

Allison where do you get all that energy. i was exhausted during chemotherapy

• MandalaB
    edited August 2012
    Options

Taxol #4 today-

super tired from the benadryl ativan.
    I don't have a port- and it took 4 sticks to get a vein. they finally got it in in that  little vein above that knobby bone in your wrist.... and it hurts.

i'm finding the no nose hair thing to be weird. lol.

and i felt so great for a change yesterday- i was able to go to three stores, and then go for a walk on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights with the kids. I crashed when I got home- but it was really great for a change to be able to do stuff.
    My RN says it's the AC leaving my body slowly and I should be getting more days like that....

woohoo!

:)

• whaevah
    edited August 2012
    Options

MandalaB,

"My RN says it's the AC leaving my body slowly and I should be getting more days like that"

thank you thank you thank you...AC sucked the energy out of me and now I have real hope the next round will be better Kiss

• Elizabeth_D
    edited August 2012
    Options

Anybody dealing with mouth sores?  I have been able to keep them at bay since beginning taxol, but have been suddenly afflicted!  I am 7 days post 3rd taxol.  Early on I would get  a small one, and work to get rid of it.  Yesterday my whole mouth and throat became sore, hard to talk, swallow.  Have tried many things in the last 24 hours too numerous to mention here.  Any suggestions from anyone who has had big time mouth sores?