Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Weekly Taxol group

Options

Comments

• jpmomof3
    jpmomof3 Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2012
    Options

Ladyfighter, ony three more to go? I got wired after the steroids for three days. I never was able to sleep much even when the steroids wore off.

I feel great being PFC. My energy levels are returning to normal very quickly. Now I have surgery coming in a week. I will be glad to have that behind me. Though I like feeling normal and don't really want to get knocked down again but this won't be anywhere near as bad or long lasting as chemo. I am growing more hair. I can see it on my weekly photos, I can't say I have seen a change in the rate of growth yet but hopefully soon it will speed up. I have no neuropathy at all. My toenails are starting to grow again. Though I can't see any growth in the one that fell off yet...

Things will get better for you all soon!

• Sissydi
    Sissydi Member Posts: 183
    edited July 2012
    Options

Okay, number 9 over with today! 3 more to go of chemo. I can hardly believe it. Colored my hair with clairol 28shampoo washout.......psychologically it was wonderful, as I was really grey, and it looked so much thinner in spots...now my hair looks more like yours jpmom!

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    edited July 2012
    Options

Starting Taxol and Herceptin today.  Anyone else just starting up?  I am nervous.

• luvmyfam
    luvmyfam Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi everyone..... I just started Taxol/Herceptin last Friday.  I had a bad reaction and was in the ER all night Friday night.  I never got tired, but I do feel a little dizzy every now and then.  I guess just a SE?  I am on this regimine weekly for 12 weeks, then go to FEC every three weeks, but stay with Herceptin weekly for the next 12 weeks.  My DO doesn't do steroids, so I'm not having those sleepless nights.  Thanks to everyone for posting their progress, it's so wonderful to see you ladies finish it!  It looks like most of you had the hard chemo first, now the Taxol/Herceptin.  My DO has me doing it the other way around!  Then surgery.  I guess they all have their own schedule.

Vballmom - I'm right here with you, it sounds like this will be a breeze compared to ACT.

Sissydi- Wohoo on the hair color!  Since I'm starting with Taxol, I wonder if my hair will go.  You guys seem to be growing it back on Taxol!

JPMom - Good luck with surgery, let us know how it turns out.  Will be praying for you.

• jpmomof3
    edited July 2012
    Options

Luvmyfam, The hair can go either way with taxol, it can cause total hair loss.  Hope it doesnt for you!  No steroids??? I havent heard of that before- it may not have prevented that bad reaction you had but i wonder.  ARe they taking you off taxol now or considering steroids?  as unpleasant as steroids were i would rather have those side effects than the side effects of the taxol with out them.

Sissydi, need photos of your new do!

• luvmyfam
    edited July 2012
    Options

JPMom, the doctor had said that I may have that reaction from the first dose of Herceptin because it was a large first dose (I don't know how much....).  He said after that it should be fine.  He doesn't put his patients on steroids because he believes the risks outweigh the benefits..... who knows, right?  He's been doing it for 30 years at MD Anderson, he's the expert.  We'll see how my infusion goes on Thursday.  When is your surgery?   

I'm curious about the hair loss.  I was going to shave my head after the 3rd week, but guess I'll wait to see how it goes.

• jpmomof3
    edited July 2012
    Options

Luv, well your doctor sure has plenty of experience, and you are at a famous center!  each doctor has their own way of doing things.  Hope the next round isnt so rough on you.  I hated the steroids.  I dont think hair loss is 100 percent on taxol.  everyone is different but you may not lose your hair with that.  I think it is common though.  But lots of us have been on taxol and had growth while on it.  I lost 90+ percent of mine with adriamycin and cytoxan.  I was glad I buzzed it as soon as the fallout started, made it less painful. 

My surgery is on the 23rd, 6 days!  I am 3 weeks PFC.  The taxol wasnt so bad, I am recovering quickly and feeling more normal everyday.  Now on to the next phase...

• hopeful123
    hopeful123 Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lady fighter and Sissydi- yoohoo 9 down..

Vballmom and Luv- welcome

Luv- sorry to hear about the reaction

jpmom- I see the hair growing much faster now. Your avatars are progressing quite fast.

I had my tx 5 yesterday. My side effect has been fatigue associated with anemia. I am also emotional, which is hear is associated with both Taxol and anemia. Yesterday I am afraid I was at Hb of 8 :( if it goes down any further I get transfusion. I so don't want it. please pray for my RBC'S to go up. My iron levels are fine so I can't do much to make it get better. It is just and SE for me as the chemo is killing the RBC.

• ladyfighter
    ladyfighter Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hello!! 12:20am right now and Im wired from steriod during infusion today for #9! I'm really tired but still wired ugh! Im eating corn pop cereal right now. Oy oy . My dizzy had subsided longer this week, knock on wood So far good, better than all previous weeks! Happy happy! No aches nothing, feeling normal. We shall see tomorrow which is usually flu-like achy. My hair still growing and growing but still baby fine hair :( I used to have thick dark hair. I still look my head for hundredth times a day, touching and petting my head all day! Lol I bought nixon cleanser (shampoo) and scalp therapy (conditioner) from CVS drug store! Pricey but I got 20% cvs coupon and $5 off cvs beauty club :) used them since Sunday, seems to be doing the trick made my hair grow fast. But I will give it other few weeks to see.

jpmom, Yes I get wired from steriod on Thursday all day/night, then next day all day Friday into night then about 12/1am I crash and sleep 14-16 hours into Saturday! My usually bad day is Friday, felt good weekends and sometimes mon and tues bad day such as achy like flu-like and some dizzy but this week it been good, so who knows how next week will be? So glad about feeling great since PFC! Iam looking forward to that. I also wonder how everyone is such as smokers, no smokers, eating well or junk food, feeling and thinking positive or fears, etc would play the roll how everyone is feeling with SE and PFC ?

Sissydi, 9 down 3 to go!!! How are you feeling in day 5? Did you asked your MO if ok with shampoo out color? - that is what I use all the times before I had BC, Im tempted to do it because my hair seems light and if it was darker which is my natural color it would look like it is all covered then I would go topless!!! So how was it??? I wanna see!! Did the color go into your scalp? My hair is like baby fine I don't know how I would do that?

Vballmom, taxol/herceptin is soooo much easier than AC all the way for me. I was so sick and in bed, feeling like 100 years old my pressure was low couldn't eat not even drink, it was pain in ass to drive to get neupogen every day 7 days !!! Taxol/herceptin no neupogen, livable, eat normal!! I was so relieved!!! 3 left! Seems like yesterday when I had 1st one! Oh I refused bendryal infusion after it makes me woozy, after 2nd, I begged MO, he said I can take clartins-D (with D) pill in morning before I go for chemo, it works!!! No reaction! So I take it every week on the day of infusion :) saved me from dizzy sleepy feeling from bendryal. I take B6 on start of taxol treatments after I read others in other thread. And I also take Effexor xr 150 religiously for 7 years. Everyone is different but doesn't hurt to try other's ideas. Keep us posted with your days if you have any SE etc so we all can learn from it. It's doable!

Luvmyfam, hope you are doing ok! Odd no steriod, and treatments backwards. Every MO is different, when my MO told me about my treatments plan, then when I saw everyone here have all different treatments I was shocked and confused as I was clueless about BC or any cancer and chemos. The more I read the better understanding I got. My MO ordered oncotype on his own expense and saw it was very high, 67% so it gives him ideas which trratments to give me. I don't know how it works with hair? My AC lost 90 % except eyelashes and eyebrows. When got on to taxol my head started to grow! But my brows and lashes went byebye!!! Ughhh! Lashes is my lifeline because I use eye makeup eyeliners ever since I was 14. Eyebrows was over plucked thinning so didn't really affected me much. Hope to get my normal thick eyelashes back! And maybe eyebrows will grow thicker? :)

Hopeful, how are you feeling? I'm same way all my rbc , hb, etc is low out of normal range, the taxol (or herceptin??? did that? ) , my MO doesn't seem worried I did ask him. My WBC still in normal range, even without neupogen :) I did googled and saw some foods can raise rbc. Try that?

Okay it is 1:05am and still cant sleep :( going to watch tv...

You all have a good night! And stay SE-free or minimal !

Xoxoxox's

• ladyfighter
    edited July 2012
    Options

Holy batman!!! My message is long!!!! Yikes! Sorry :/

• doctorG
    doctorG Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Everyone!

It is my partner of 12 years who has bc. We live in Austria and have wonderful health care here. I'm an American and want to understand more about what she is going through. I'm not fluent in German, so talking with the doctors is problematic/confusing sometimes. I hope it is OK for me to ask questions here. The discussion group for partners and friends deals with different issues, but a wonderful source of support. 

Illo had her third weekly treatment yesterday (she gets next week 'off'). She is stage 4 with bone mets and the most recent CT found many small tumors on the peritoneum (thus this round of chemo). She did well with Zometa for a couple of years. It is now included in her IV every third week, along with Avastin (I know it lost FDA approval for metastatic breast cancer treatment, but the doctors here still think it's the appropriate combination for her). 

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and see how you all felt about me joining in, at least with questions. Illona is not comfortable posting..probably worried about her English skills like I worry about my German!  Best wishes to all of you.

Ginna

• vballmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

Had my first Taxol/Herceptin on Tuesday. I was pretty woozy from the benadryl and ativan and basically slept through most of it.  Started with some aches and "stabs" last night.  They are certainly uncomfortable, but nothing like the SE of AC.  The nurse gave me a prescription for Effexor, but I am probably not going to fill it.  I had issues with low counts on AC, but I am not getting neupogen or neulasta.  I have my fingers crossed it stays this way!

Ginna, I am sorry you have to be here, but you are most welcome.  There is a wonderful Stage IV forum that will probably be extremely helpful for you and Illona.  There is also a caregivers forum. I often think it is just as hard or harder on loved ones.

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lady fighter, I'll post my pic when I can get on my laptop.....I use an iPad, and it won't let me upload my pic! Yes, my m.o. Said I could use the Clairol washout color......I just painted it on, and waited 30 minutes, and it took fine! Now I can actually see my baby hairs!

Vballmom, are you on 12 weekly Taxol?

Welcome Ginna!

• vballmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sissi, yes - I'm on 12 weekly Taxol.

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

You'll find Taxol much easier to deal with. I am on week 9 out of 12, and only now am I noticing fatigue from it.....my hair is coming back, but slowly...no issues with nails, thankfully! A little bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet, but it resolves after infusion by day 4.....

• luvmyfam
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi everyone, I had my 2nd Taxol/Herceptin on Thursday and didn't have a reaction. Got a little nausea, so that concerns me for my FEC after this round, but I am taking one day at a time. I get achy on Fridays and feel pretty yucky. Now, I am good.

JPMom-surgery tomorrow????? Praying for a super success and sending lots of peaceful vibes to you.

Ladyfighter- thanks for the encouragement. I guess I'm doing well without the steroids.... I hate insomnia!

Ginnna - welcome.

Have a great day today!!!!!

• jpmomof3
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi guys,

I have been so busy the last few days.  glad to finally catch up with everyone.  Yes I am pfc 4 weeks and have surgery tomorrow.  I am nervous and know I wouldnt sleep tonight if not for vitamin A (ambien).  I am feeling better and better still (as long as I sleep!) adn the hair is thickening quickly now.  I have been topless for 2 days now.  No one has reacted except for a small child or two that stare at me confused as to why a person with man hair is wearing girl clothes and earrings.  but it feels great to be done with the scarves.  Still have to wear a cap when out for a walk.  The hair is there but still thin enough that might get a scalp burn... Good luck all with your treatments this week!

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Good luck and best wishes on your surgery tomorrow jpmom! I'll be thinking of you...I will be in the chair tomorrow for Taxol #9!

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2012
    Options

:) I start my Taxol tomorrow.

AC was a wild ride. I am s glad that is over and I won't have the Neulasta shot like that anymore. woof.
    I had my last dose on July 9th- I felt ok this week, just more bone pain and being tired than anything.

Kinda nervous, I get the big time hospital bed so they can monitor me in case of a reaction.....
    Ok- I have lots of anxiety about tomorrow.
    lol....

I'm glad for this thread!!! thank you!

• ladyfighter
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sissydi, no no not #9!? You are going for #10!!!! :)

Jpmom, good luck tomorrow!! Keep in touch!!

MandalaB, taxol is a breeze compared to AC for sure! Good luck!

Yesterday I felt great, but today back to yucky lite flu-like symptoms hope to shake off tomorrow.

Hugs to all!

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hahahaha, your right! Chemo brain! Duh!

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thinking of you Mandala! I'm in the chair too! You'll do fine...make sure to report back! At least you get a bed!

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lady fighter, shake off those symptoms! I should talk, since I can't even remember my days here! Lol!

• ladyfighter
    edited July 2012
    Options

Mandala and sissydi hope today's chair is a breeze for you guys!!

Jpmom, thinking of you!

Today still yucky flu like! And temp 99.9 :( not same pattern as all 9 weeks I been thru!? Eek! Hmmm???

Keep in touch! Xoxoxox

n

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lady fighter, take care of yourself today!

• Pkate
    Pkate Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi ladies,

Had to drop out for awhile as my Dad had a stroke and I've been spending all energy on getting his health care in place.  He now has a stomach tube for feeding due to issues with swallowing but slowly getting better, mentally and physically.

I am going for Taxol #10 with 2 more after that.  I was the one that the MO switched from every other week to weekly to prevent neuropathy being permanent.  ANyone else have that?  But I was glad to see this weekly group and everyone's positive and informative posts.  Last week, she reduced the dose even more and now I think I might just make it to the end.  I wasn't getting even two good days between treatments and now with lower dose, I only had 1 1/2 day downtime.

Best news of all, I think I may have hair growing again on my head.  I was encouraged to hear that others had this too.  I finished AC on 6/20/12 and just noticed maybe 1/16 inch of baby fine buzz this weekend.  OF course, like others, I am losing eyebrows and lashes with Taxol.  Pretty much any hair that was left is leaving with this drug.  No nail issues although they are sure sore a couple of days a week.  I actually have stronger, longer nails than I have ever had because i just don't do anything with them directly - dishes, etc.  Noticing the hair on my head gave me such a positive feeling as I,too, think the Taxol has affected me emotionally more than AC.  Maybe its just that this is going on and on.

So I'll be in the chair on Wednesday and thinking of the rest of you this week!

Pkate

• Sissydi
    edited July 2012
    Options

Pkate, I have it every week for 12 weeks...much easier to handle then A/C, I'm on week 10 now, and the fatigue is really setting in. Had my last 4 hour treatment, 2 Taxol left after this, then Herceptin until May.

• jpmomof3
    edited July 2012
    Options

HI guys, I am done with surgery.  It went well.  They could still see cancer in the sentinel node.  They took about five total.  I will see tomorrow when I get the path results back.  I hope that is the only one.  I am bummed that I didnt get a complete response to chemo but I do know that it shrunk considerably so I know that i had a decent response to it.  I am doing well.  Sore but not bad. Vitamin V (vicodin) is helping a lot. I am happy that my little buddy the port is gone.  Best wishes to all and good luck with your taxol rounds this week.

Pkate, so sorry to hear about your dad's stroke.  Best wishes to him and your family and you while dealing with that.  

Mandala taxol is a cakewalk compared to AC  I was nervous about the weekly thing for a while before starting it but you will actually start to feel much better as the AC wears off.  You will probably even start to grow some hair during your taxol.  Best wishes! 

• ladyfighter
    edited July 2012
    Options

Pkate, so sorry about your Dad, hope all will work out! looking forward to your journey in here with us!

Jpmom, so glad all is over! is it likely that you have to do more chemo? no? hope not! Hope your path results comes out good ones!

Sissydi, i have been taking care of myself, staying home pretty much do nothing, but cant seem to shake the flu-like symptoms with low grade fever of 99.4 that cant seem to break out yet. Should I be concerned, or this is common of side effect of taxol? which is odd because all these 9 weeks I had taxol, this is worse week i ever had, usualy one down time per week, but this one 4 down times so far this week.?

Hope everyone is having good day! 

• luvmyfam
    edited July 2012
    Options

JpMom, was thinking about you... and so glad surgery went well.  My Onc told me that only about 30% have a complete response to chemo, so you're not alone.  Doesn't make it any better after you went through all that, though.

Sissy - you said the fatigue is really setting in... are you fatigued all the time, or just for a few days after infusion?  Thursday will be my 3rd dose and I seem to be tired Friday and Saturday......

Ladyfighter, I'm sorry about the flu/fever symptoms.  Hope they go away soon!  

It's encouraging to see all your hair growing back.... I haven't lost mine yet.  Onc says maybe around day 18, but my scalp is really tender.  I guess we'll see.  Need to post a picture.