Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thanks, PinkHeart.

To add to my already complicated story, my PS (Dr. Michel Saint-Cyr, Mayo Clinic) was in a serious accident the day before my first fat graft (7/8). My surgery was cancelled. After making dozens of calls, Dr. Roger Khouri agreed to fit me in. I saw him for the first time last Monday. He will be doing my first fat graft will actually be tomorrow. I've been wearing BRAVA for 7 weeks, the last four days on the turbo (or as I call it, torture) machine.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2013
    Options

Good luck Hopeful.....i was told its painless....that combined with my worries overremaining breast which are increasing i am re thinking.....and again feeling stressed......

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited July 2013
    Options

Brava is generally not painful for most women, on sports box level.  You do get irritation along the edges of the domes which can be maddening, but there are some "fixes" for that, like placing strips of silicone sheeting underneath the edges to distribute the pressure.

Hand pumping (cycling) adds pressure and this can definitely be more uncomfortable.  It can also lead to blisters where the rims pull in on the skin as suction pressure increases.  Turbo is much higher pressure than sports box level pressure.  It can be uncomfortable depending on the patient, level of scar tissue, amount of pressure utilized, etc.  When I first went on turbo it hurt - we adjusted the pressure down, and I was fine after that.  No pain at all.

So, in general, there is a variation in how women respond to Brava.  Is it easy?  Hell no.  Is it painful?  In general - no - but do expect discomfort and skin issues, especially with higher pressures.  Is it demanding on the patient?  Hell yes.  It takes a certain personality to tolerating wearing domes 10 to 12 (or more hours) every night, and cycling an hour (or more, depending on the surgeon) every eve and morning for 4 to 6 weeks prior to each surgery.  

Is Brava and fat grafting for everyone?  No way.  It is a commitment.  However, for those who can't do implants or flaps (or are too scared to do those surgeries for one reason or another), it is an option available to still be reconstructed.  Weigh all the pros and cons and decide for yourself what you are willing to risk with each type of recon and also what you are willing to commit to doing for each path as well.  

• grayeyes
    grayeyes Member Posts: 533
    edited July 2013
    Options

clb052975 -

I see that it has been a while since you last posted.  In case you visit again, I just wanted to thank you for posting your journal.  I had no idea Brava with fat grafting was an option.  I finally had my permanent implants put into place last month, but thanks to radiation, the surgeon said I probably will need some fat grafting around the edges.

When I saw your journal, I thought, Wow, I hadn't heard of this procedure.  If I had, I would've considered it. 

It's good to know there are other options out there.

Hope you are doing well!

• Lily55
    edited July 2013
    Options

I spoke with PS and he said there is no adhesive or anythingwith Brava only silicone that touches your skin?

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lily55... Painless??? I can't imagine who would say that! I've been on Dialudid (morphine-like) every four hours for four days straight and I'm still in quite a bit of pain. Some of the bruising is just first coming out this morning. 

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

... If you have options (I did not, I was down to BRAVA or no breast), definitely weighthem carefully. Brava/aft is a long, painful and expensive process -- and I'm only through one third of it. 

It's funny because I have friends begging me for the machine when I'm done so they can do it for enlargement. They were all excited after I told them how "easy" it all was, but after seven weeks of BRAVA (four days tubro) and one surgery, I'm ready to tell them all to forget it.

• Lily55
    edited July 2013
    Options

I am going for fat transfer without BRAVA for first one as have a lot of scar stuck to the bone and want to help ease this......and I will also see how much fat I retain without BRAVA........if it is too bad a process I think I will go for DIEP - I am having a reduction done on the other side at same time and will get them to biopsy what they remove as my cancer was sneaky (lobular) and I don´t trust  scans to find it early enough.........I have to pay for it all myself though as the system here just expects me to live as i am forever!!!

Its all a huge challenge.......hope you feel better soon

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

I look forward to hearing about your experience without Brava, Lily. I hope it goes well. I am going to do the brava again, but I won't do the turbo. In addition to the expense ($40 a day), it is excrutiatingly painful. I also don't think it made that much difference. Certainly not enough to make it worth the pain.

One note... the pain is worse taking out than putting in! I''m six days out of surgery and the thighs where they did lypo and the breast they reduced still hurt a lot, but the breast they put the fat into hardly hurts at all.

I would also fight with the insurance. They are legally bound to provide you with reconstruction. Good luck and keep us posted!

Marcia

• Lily55
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thank you for info, i thought that might be the case, how painful is the reduced side? I kind of thought it would not hurt much as mx surgery did not only the node removal area........

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

I had the Diep flap and MX at the same time (20 hour surgery), followed by a vein replacement (from my ankle) three days later (another 8 hour surgery). Then I lost one of the breasts to a staph infection (two more surgeries and a lot more pain) in February. The right breast came out perfect, but actually never lost the extra fat they put in so it ended up bigger than I want.

I can't really compare anything to that pain. Now, the right breast's very sore as are my legs. I think people don't realize how painful lyposuction can be. Also, I had work done on five different areas so it's going to take a few weeks.

Honestly, if I had a choice of doing BRAVA & fat graft or DIEP flap (I don't -- no one will do another DIEP flap because of all my complications), I would definitely do the DIEP flap. Yes, it's a major procedure, but it's over in a few months. During those months you are improving. The BRAVA can take six months to a year and during that time you are always either on a machine, recovering from surgery or having surgery. Those surgeries are certainly not as complicated, but it's a very, very long process with pain and surgery nonetheless. 

Only you can make the decision on what's best for your body. I'm sure you will do what feels right.

Best,

Marcia

• Lily55
    edited July 2013
    Options

Jeez Marcia i admire your determination! And thank you for your generosity in sharing with me..........

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hopeful,

After losing your one DIEP flap, Did your surgeon give you the option on an SGAP flap? Or PAP?

That is what my surgeon does in the very rate case that a patient unfortunately loses a flap. His DIEP surgeries are half as short because he has a partner. Wow 20 hours. You have been through a lot and feel for you.

My surgeon is adding BRAVA to help severe rads damage and because i am thin and need to optimize the fat survival.

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

No, I wasn't given any options beyond fat grafting because of complications (collapsed lung, dropping blood pressure, blood transfusions, infections) I had with long surgeries. No one wants to do any long surgeries on me or anything that has a high risk of infection.

Don't get me wrong, BRAVA is a wonderful invention that can help a lot of people, it's just not as quick and easy as all the hype makes it sound.

• dancetrancer
    edited July 2013
    Options

I agree, it is far from quick and easy.  Some may say it is, but I never have.  It takes a certain personality to perservere with the Brava.  You need to know what the commitment is before you sign up for this path.  It ain't easy, by any stretch of the imagination.  

For those of us who don't have other options, or simply don't want implants or are too afraid of flaps, it is a huge blessing to have another option. 

If I had qualified for a DIEP I would have done that as my first choice.  But I did not. So I am very thankful I had another option. 

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

Well said!

• dancetrancer
    edited July 2013
    Options

They can graft some fat immediately at the time of mastectomy.  They graft it right into and under the pec muscle.  The pec muscle serves as a blood supply for the fat.  However, they can only graft so much fat b/c the pec muscle is only so big and thus can only supply a certain amount of blood supply to the newly grafted fat.  So, you need subsequent fat grafting sessions to get to a size b or c. And you need Brava to stretch your skin the rest of the way and provide blood supply to the fat that is newly grafted during each of those surgeries. 

• kriserts
    kriserts Member Posts: 61
    edited August 2013
    Options

Lily, I don't check in much here, but I had a badly radiated side and went for the Brava approach. DIEP was not an option for me (clotting issues). I had my other breast reduced, and I'm happy with the result. It took a couple operations to lift up the scarred down side, so it was awhile before I saw any progress, but then there was a lot of progress quickly. I may have one more proceedure to plump up some final scarring bumps, but I look even in a coobie bra, and that was my goal.

As far as pain, I was driven to the Brava because of the pain of my implant. I did not experience any pain from the Brava itself (just a pain in the a**, ha ha), and hardly any from the lipo. Minimal. People experience pain differently, I guess. I wouldn't be worried about that aspect.

• Lily55
    edited August 2013
    Options

Well i am post first transfer.....had reduction done on "good" side, and fat transfer, waiting on biopsy results i asked for.

Did not find it too bad, first two days the worst, fat taken from outer thighs and lower hips, 300cc the maximum possible, very tight on transfer area, but can see a difference, had on upper chest too as very bony there. Only took two paracetamol post op, hard sleeping first 3 nights but easier now....... Hoping it stays there and biopsy ok (they found lots of cysts).

• thelightsofmylife61
    thelightsofmylife61 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Options

For those who have removed implants and done BRAVA with AFT to reconstruct the breasts, has anyone also removed the Alloderm?

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited September 2013
    Options

Update.

I have been using brava--nonstop since March 2013. Will be having surgery number 5 on September 10. It will include Fatgrafting and contouring. I am going for the max--so will need additional Fatgrafting for projection(I am a uni).

Extremely pleased with my results to date. Fatgrafting has done wonders for me.

Eileen

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2013
    Options

Lights,

After failed implants removed, My new surgeon (microsurgeon) spent several hours removing Alloderm that radiation cooked to my chest wall. He also cleaned/ surgically removed it from non radiated breast. Then he moved forward with natural breast reconstruction using my own tissue from buttocks (SGAP). I am very thin. We are completing all my surgeries with use of BRAVA to achieve as much fat grafting survival as possible as I don't have much fat available.

Your surgeon can explain better than I how Alloderm is removed. Good luck!

• EileenKaye1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Turned my domes upside down for better adhesion. It is working--want to extend dome use. In addition, it is giving me better projection. I cannot believe--that this might be my last week of brava wear. It has been such a long process--brava being a bit of an infringement on life's fun.

My legs, waist look awesome--an extra benefit of Fatgrafting.

Will be going for the tummy this time.

Eileen

• thelightsofmylife61
    edited September 2013
    Options

Could I ask why your Brava process has taken over a year? Have you been wearing the Brava device throughout that time or take time off? Thanks for all the info and experiences you've been sharing... truly helps those of us following your path.

• EileenKaye1
    edited September 2013
    Options

It has been quite a long experience. I started with a 410cc implant--removed this implant n April 18,2012. My PS wants brava use for five weeks prior to Fatgrafting. I had the step-down method. A 410cc implant was exchanged for a 213cc implant with Fatgrafting. Next it was replaced with a 120cc implant.At each surgery I used brava for five weeks or longer pre-surgery. One month off post surgery. The Implant was totally removed on February 20,2013.

This included Fatgrafting. Started brava use one month later, with additional Fatgrafting on May6,2013. Therefore, I used brava continuously since march 2013. Yes, it is not an easy process. But at each surgery I had a major improvement. This keeps you going. All in all--I will still require touch-ups, but this should be much easier. I must add, that I could have stayed with an implant, plus Fatgrafting--but I am a picky camper.

I had no choice. I had removal, break-up of painful scar tissue, and extensive muscle repair.

Almost all of my pain is gone, a minor tightness remains-which I will address again on September 10(surgery number 5).

My case is particularly complicated. Most will be easier, shorter--. You are starting at a better time.

My original mastectomy was over 16 years ago, and surgery techniques were not as sophisticated. You should have an much easier journey. Eileen

• thelightsofmylife61
    edited September 2013
    Options

PinkHeart - could I ask who your microsurgeon was? Thanks so much for the info. Hope the BRAVA process goes well for you.

• hopeful24
    edited September 2013
    Options

Eileen... So happy for you that you are almost done. I just put my BRAVA back on after a two week break and I'm about fed up at four months of this! I don't know if I'm going to be able to stick this all out for another 5-6 months of this.

Hope you are celebrating!

• EileenKaye1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hopeful--I so agree. Finding it very difficult, but still feel that Fatgrafting was the correct solution for me. Still quite thankful for the results. Eileen

• Lily55
    edited September 2013
    Options

I have had one one without Brava and another one to come as too many ashesions for Brava but after number two will decide, i have no idea why healthy people choose liposuction!

• Christina38
    Christina38 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

I created an account just so I could let the women here know that I am absolutely in awe of your toughness. I wish I could come up with words to do my feelings justice. I'll just say I've shed a lot of tears reading through these pages - I'm sad for your pain, thrilled for your survival, but mostly inspired by your courage and tenacity. I sincerely wish you love, peace, and health. I know it is not easy. Keep kicking a** and know that you have a huge fan in Ohio.