Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• kriserts
    kriserts Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Options

for the record, I ditched that black "bra" too. I tuck the charger in the pocket of my PJ's or just let the tubes hang free. A couple times they've pulled out of the Brava in the middle of the night but I always woke up and caught it. I didn't need the drying rack either--just used the cardboard piece--and when I ran out of all the cleansers and sprays I found I was just fine washing the Brava with baby shampoo, and using regular moisterizer.

• doublewhammied
    doublewhammied Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013
    Options

Sounds like you've adapted, as well. I think the Brava and its protocol/products will be evolving for a while. I'm going to look for a little satchel/pouch to wear around my waist for the box and the bulb. Like a holster. Steampunk style. : ) Once I get back on it, that is. Also, re soaps and moisturizers, Darlene advised me to switch over to Aveeno body wash & moisturizer plus cococut oil early on. Still use the grren spray and anti sting wipes. Tegaderm film really helps with skin issues.

Kriserts - have you had surgery yet? I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my body as I recover from my first fat transfer. Still on L nipple death watch. If anybody has any tips/tricks of the trade, I'm all ears.

Best,

-doublewhammied

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited May 2013
    Options

To continue with my BR story. Four Fatgrafting surgeries over the past year. Three within the past 6 months. At the last surgery on May 6, my PS did muscle repair with a lot of Fatgrafting. I think that my reconstruction is coming along just great. Last week it turned red, and she upped the antibiotics. It is now a light pink. Was 95 degrees at work, no breaks, no lunch( we work thru lunch). Must admit, it is physical labor. I can usually do it, but feel fatigued. I think it is from the antibiotics. Would appreciate input from forum members. Thanks, Eileen

Must admit, when I reread my story--Can see why I am so tired. Perhaps too much work pressure, but I have no choice

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen,

I hope your job improves somehow to help your surgery recovery easier. Do you have a lot of support at home?

I may be having BRAVA added to finish up my long long reconstruction road. I am a little concerned hearing about the skin irritation and redness. I have one breast that had severe radiation damage internally/externally and severe scarring over chest wall that PS took hours to meticulously chisel off craters of scar and repair pec muscles.

I am highly allergic to everything dermal and to fragrances. (bandage adhesive, rubber, bleach smell, chlorine in pools).

I swear I could even smell the implants first put in that my body evicted! Mentor loved that phone call, the rep pretty much said uh-huh. :)

I manage to make it through the pain and recovery of surgeries, but I'm concerned about spending time and money for this device and having issues with it. Do they have samples that can be tested first? I know, crazy question.

I'm excited for all of you using BRAVA and having success!

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Pink heart-I think that brava is a must, especially on radiated tissue. The areas untouched by brava, have not taken as well, and tend to develop more cysts. I do not think you can use a used dome--as it would be an infection issue. In fact, I was thinking that perhaps my infection came from using the tubing for too long a period of time. I agree with the financial issues. Exactly why I am trudging into work daily.

So glad that your family gives you support. Mine seems to think that I totally exaggerated the pain, and would never understand the need for so many surgeries.

Yes Brava is not easy--would make a tremendous difference in your Fatgrafting outcome. Eileen

• PinkHeart
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen,

I have zero support from family. Ditto on not understanding the pain going on and what radiation damage can do to some patients. They think I just probably got a little sunburn and that I'm out to get best boob job I can find.

I have tons of pictures of my timeline of destruction with my breasts, in particular my grossly disfigured radiated one that is slowly but surely making way to looking normal thanks to my current microsurgeon. It will never be a great outcome. A lot of pain has resolved from surgery, but trying to create the IMF again has been rough as that is where one of tumors was located that BS took hours on alone getting off my chest wall and then extra rads boosts were pounding that spot.

A few days ago, I sent pictures to my SIL who is cardiac RN who is out of state and not totally aware of my recon issues and how family treating me. She cried for me and pissed at family. She said she so glad i sent her pictures because she had absolutely no idea this was another unfortunate complication dealing with breast cancer and how serious it truly was. She showed my brother (he not one being jerk), and she said he was shocked.

My PT-CLT who has many years experience and only works on cancer patients, mostly breast cancer, said that a lot of her BC patients cry at appointments all the time. This came up because at a session I was crying and apologizing, and she said not to apologize because she was getting concerned that I hadn't cried.

I asked if other BC patients crying was from pain. She said a little of that, a little from cancer scare, and mostly from lack of family support -- especially husbands who really can't deal with it.

In my personal situation it's my sister and husband who have now poisoned my teenagers .... So I do understand the hurt.

I'm so looking forward to peace of mind and a bottle of champagne someday when this is over with!

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

PinkHeart--your support has helped tremendously. Quite frankly, when I read online--it did seem that most patients get help from their family. I have been going thru this for16 years. When my mom was alive she tried to understand, and help. For the last 10 years of her life, she did become quite ill,and I spent all of my time, working(a basic necessity), caring for an ailing mother. Interesting that you mention your brother--my brother is 8 years older than me. I idolized him for most of my life. What a disappointment. With all of these issues over the past 16 years, he did not contribute at all, in aiding his own mother. She was so hurt by his rejection. He made trivial of his ailing mother, ignored his sister's illness, and at the worst possible moments went on extended vacations. (He says, he knows how to live)hmmm! An uncooperative husband is an additional hurtful situation

Even though I am having difficulties, I felt that Fatgrafting was a solution I could handle on my own, without infringing on others

So sorry, that it is also difficult for you. You are not the only one in this difficult situation. Perhaps by helping each other, we can get thru this. I know that we will. This site has certainly been of tremendous value to me. Speaking, writing to other patients has been so helpful. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

To continue--red continues to resolve. Upped the probiotics, had a burger--perhaps my iron is low--am feeling so much better. Had been quite fatigued. Breast is looking so good. Whole body looks good due to the selective lipo, and breast reduction. I always had saggy breasts.

My other issue is work. Seems that my job--perhaps all jobs are getting more demanding by the day, They say okay--as I do have rights--but continue to give me greater work loads. Finding it quite difficult, as these are multiple surgeries and my energy level is not up to par. We have no air--it was 94.2 this week. I am a volunteer at NYU and they also have upped the workload demands. I have been trying to work continuously thru all of it--want to keep my jobs--but it is becoming increasingly hard to keep up my usual routine, and will be needing another Fatgrafting surgery in September. I waited all of these years to resolve these pain and cosmetic issues--want to get the best result possible.

Would like to hear from other members regarding workplace issues. Must admit that in these times, at my job, no one seems to be treated as fairly as in the past. What a shame, We are all vulnerable. (Sounds as though this is wearing me down). eileen

• kriserts
    kriserts Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen you should start a new topic about work place issues. I'm sure you'd get more people chiming in who are doing all sorts of different proceedures.

Double--yes, I've had 4 procedures now.

• PinkHeart
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen,

Have you depleted your FMLA leave? That should give you some protection. Of course these days employers will find a way to downsize someone. You would be eligible for unemployment benefits but dont know NY rates. Federal unemployment pay was slashed due to sequester. You will get to keep your same insurance policy and what you have accumulated in deductible and out of pocket but of course being on COBRA your premium will be very high. Really kind of a joke because people who are unemployed are desperate to pay bills as it is and cant afford COBRA and have no choice but to be uninsured.

I used to do a lot of volunteer work as well. I like helping others and it keeps my mind of my probs. But with my health issues I had to give up. Am considering volunteering for Am Cancer Sic Roads to Recovery coordinating rides for cancer patients to treatments from ACS volunteer drivers. Its 4 hours per week and you just make phone calls from home

Can you anonymously report the overheated working conditions to OHSHA? I can't imagine what it will be like when summer heat hits.

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks PinkHeart for your ideas. A co-worker did report us to OSHA. As a good employee for many years--of both locations--I do not see why anyone should be treated this way. I thought we were entitled to lite-duty--as this is a temporary situation. I work in a hospital--and thru all of this my patients and my students at NYU have been very pleased with the treatment they are receiving. My production has been good. Love my students at NYU.Personally I think the administrators have been greedy--they should lighten up. Illness can happen to anyone--and BC survivors are also entitled to a better life--which a good reconstruction can help to achieve. That's my thought. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Anyway--on the happier side--just checked my breast--I think it is looking great--will finally achieve a pain free , great cosmetic look. Feeling great. Yeah. Thanks to my PS and fatgrafting. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

As stated-- breast looks better daily. --but, sorry for being such a bore--feel fatigued, dizzy--feel as though I am not getting better. Still think it may be from the antibiotics. So want to be normal again. Has anyone else had difficulties recuperating from Fatgrafting. Well, I am getting older, and multiple surgeries may have worn me down. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

PinkHeart--think you had good points--I am pushing too hard. That may be why I feel so sick.As I get older, I do not recup as fast. Perhaps my judgement is off. Eileen

• PinkHeart
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen,

Maybe dont't quit your volunteer job, but take a break until surgeries are over? Maybe pop back in to lend a hand when you have a good spell?

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

PinkHeart-you have been so understanding--and from your bio I see that you have been thru a lot yourself. I did ask my volunteer job for time off in June--and they basically said if you do not do it--do not return. Will take a few days off from job--if needed another week--just hoping this resolves the issues. We just re-opened after sandy--and was so anxious to get started--may have made the situation worse. Decided to too a few trusted friends--and of course they gave me lectures on how this is elective surgery. I still want to see it tru. Think it will make a difference in how I look and feel. my PS is kind enough to always get back to me. She is great. I just heal slowly. Eileen

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited May 2013
    Options

Isn't it amazing how people with two breasts call reconstruction "elective?" I'm getting the same thing. One person actually said they were there for me during the other surgeries, but this is one isn't necessary and I should let my body heal a few years!

• doublewhammied
    edited May 2013
    Options

Dear Pinkheart and Eileen:

I am so disheartened and disgusted to hear that you two are not getting support from your friends and family. Reconstructing a breast is about the furthest thing from a "boob job" there is - it's much more akin to reconstructing a hand or a face. And to refer to reconstruction as "elective" is so insensitive and clueless it just makes my blood boil. That's like referring to a face transplant as "elective". Ugh.

Eileen, it sounds to me like you may be trying to do too much. I've had ONE fat transfer surgery and it kicked my ass. I'm pretty healthy (I box and run for workouts) but at 2.5 weeks out from surgery, I'm JUST starting to get my strength back. Can't walk/exercise because of the seromas/swelling, but can work (which is NOT physical). But if I go out for a couple of hours, I have to take a nap after. And I'm sleeping like 10 hours a night. You've had multiple surgeries in a short amount of time and it sounds like the last one was very difficult. I don't know if your fatigue is a result of the antibiotics; to me, it sounds like your body is just exhausted. Having to deal with unsympathetic friends/family/coworkers may be contributing to that exhaustion, as well.

Also, if working at a volunteer job is contributing to your fatigue/pain, then I would lose the volunteer job. Maybe YOU should become your volunteer job right now as you recover from this very difficult series of surgeries. I'm thrilled to hear that cosmetically, your breasts are looking good, but am worried about your strength. Please take care of yourself.

Pinkheart, re your question about Brava and its related products' smells/fragrances. The antibacterial cleaning spray definitely has a scent, but I believe you can substitute J&J baby shampoo for that, no problem. There are also anti-sting wipes that you use to treat your skin before use, but you might be able to swap Tegaderm film for those if they bother you. The domes themselves also have a plastic-y scent, but it's not overwhelming (I'm a little sensitive to scents/smells, too). My PS had a couple sets of domes in his office that he let me try on before we got started. Maybe a consult with a PS would help you determine whether you could tolerate the system? I wish you all the best. It sounds like you have been through so much pain and loss.

I know I'm new here and don't know either of you at all, but I have to say you two women are amazing. You have been through so much, endured both insult and multiple injury, and you're still moving forward -- eyes on the prize. I salute you both and can't wait to toast you with that champagne when you finally get through this mess.

Best,

-doublewhammied

• doublewhammied
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hopeful24, if there's not a special circle in hell for people like that, there should be.  

I let my body heal two years after my double mastectomy and it was still quite painful to see my cancer-ravaged chest in the mirror each night after I took off the fake boobs. I learned to love my new body because of its strength and endurance and just sheer orneriness in fighting this frigging disease, but I still missed my girls. And more than that, I wanted my own back. I didn't want to let cancer have the last word. Reconstruction is a very personal decision and I definitely respect those women who choose to rock their flat chests. Even more, though, I respect the women who choose to trudge down the long, invasive, involved, frustrating and painful to recon. 

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hopeful, Doublewhammied--Just checked out my breast again--every time I look I am just amazed at the results I am getting. I am not a finished product, but after all of these long 16 years of pain, and asymmetry I am finally starting to feel cancerfree.

When I had the pain, when it was literally impossible to purchase a top to hide my defects, I was not able to stop thinking about BC. Found it difficult to enjoy many normal activities. I just know that this finished product will help me in opening up to a more normal life. Cannot believe how concerned my PS is, as she has e-mailed to me over the weekend with instructions. Still think it is just that I am healing more slowly this time.

You have helped me tremendously in trying to move forward--I will try to remember that this will pass.

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks so much for the positive words Doublewhammied. Eileen, I hope you will continue to improve. I'm off on a business trip I couldn't turn down during one of my few "good" times. I start BRAVA when I return and the first fat transfer 7/8. It looks like I found a friend to accompany me who realizes I'm not doing this as cosmetic surgery.

Best,

Marcia

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Marsha--good to hear that things are looking up. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Decided to take a few days off of work to recup--do have time coming to me. My PS took me off of one antibiotic. Not as fatigued. Breast is starting to look so real--awesome. I think that wearing a bra could have irritated the graft site-and I want it to heal naturally. It is. Back on track to a normal life. Again--I just know the results will be worth it. Back on track. Eileen

• jizogarden
    jizogarden Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2013
    Options

I am so glad to have found ladies sharing about fat grafting.  I was on this list daily 3 years ago after my double mx with implants.  After multiple infections, iv and oral antibiotics I have just about had it with my boobage :(  To be honest I was ready to take them out and just be flat.  I heard about fat grafting after trolling the internet and running into a few friends form mx that had gone to fat grafting.  I am in NY and researched doctors in Manhattan which is an hour from my home.  I just saw Dr. Ahn this week for a consult...had a wonderful caring lengthy interview with her and she has offered me 3 possible options.  She is also seeing if my insurance will cover my proceedures.  

I am now a full C...bigger than I wanted to be....I have been Acup to small B most of my life and would happily return to a "handful".  My hope is to have my implants out and return to a small breastsize.  My skin is very reactive and I'm afraid the BRAVA and I will not be friends :OP  I have heard of a few patients that did do fatgrafting with no BRAVA and I'm hoping for the same.

The following is a breakdown of my options...pros and cons....would love any thoughts....sorry it's so long :(  Would love any thoughts.  

She has given me three options: Flap, step down implant with fat grafting and may or may not have to use BRAVA, or implants completely removed with fat grafting and lots of BRAVA.

These three options are all seen through the lens of the strength of my heart and my ability to withstand many hours under anesthesia.  So here’s the breakdown....

Flap: 6-8 hour surgery....taking breast material from either my stomach or from my back.

The disadvantage of this is that it is another major surgery, staying 2-3 days in the hospital....recovery 2 weeks to feeling a bit better....6 weeks to being healed.  

The advantages of this is that it would be one process with maybe one followup for tweaking.  I would have nice soft warm breasts.  She would also make a nipple while in surgery.  This is done with microsurgery she works with Dr. Allen in the surgery so I can be off the table successfully as soon as possible.

The recovery would be much like a mastectomy with a tummy tuck.

Step Down Implant with Fat Grafting: She would remove my 600cc implant and correct my weak overworked scar that is dangerously thin in a few spots. She would put in a 300cc implant and fill the rest of the space with fat grafting. That would be followed by a second step down if necessary in 3 months.  I would then return three months later to remove the second implant and fill the remaining space with fat.  I would then return 3 months later to have any addition fat grafting done...fine tuning. (after telling my original surgeon that I didn't want to be any bigger than a 375cc he put in much larger ones.  I have a very wide ribcage and they do not look large..they are wide)

The advantage....would again have warm soft breasts that feels and behaves like a breast.  The disadvantage is time...lots of time committed with multiple smaller procedures and multiple recoveries from incisions and bruising with pressure garments for several weeks after each liposuction.  I may have to use BRAVA at least part of the time.....my skin gets contact dermatitis easily and I’m afraid I will not tolerate the BRAVA well.

The concern that the temporary implants could also cause more infections is a concern of Dr. Ahn.  If I chose this she would keep me overnight and put me on IV antibiotics and send me home on strong antibiotics for at least 10 days to be sure to preempt any infections.  She does not want me to face the same infections that keep recurring...she is very concerned about how many infections I have had over the past years  

Implant Removal without step down implant:  This is done by taking out the implant, correcting the thinning scar and putting in the first round of fat.  This would not be pretty I would be flat for the first 3 months and would have to use BRAVA to pull the tissues out for second, third and possible 4th fat transfer.  She would want me to use the BRAVA throughout which would be 9 months of freakin’ BRAVA!!!!  There are 3 months between each fat transfer...so that is how we end up with a 9 month commitment.

Downside....lots of time...lots of BRAVA....multiple transfers and recoveries.

Upside....no worry of infection from step down implant.

One problem I’m hoping not to face is that if I get another infection in the present breast that has  been giving me trouble it will have to come out and remain out for several weeks...then BRAVA would be needed to bring out the retracted skin....I pray this does not happen!!!!

So here’s the timeframe....first I must loose 25lbs! which would be good for me anyway and give me a good reason to do it....goals are always good ;)  She says that I have to come and see her in 3 weeks and every 3 to 4 weeks after that until I am at my surgery weight....she will be my watch dog ;)  I am hoping to loose the weight over the summer and then have my surgery in early Fall or over Thanksgiving break (I teach but am self employed so I could change my schedule).  This will give me plenty of time to consider these three options and have many discussions with her.

So my head is spinning....and I need to think about all the possibilities.  If I did not have two young dogs that jumped all over me I may consider the Flap but the recovery is major and painful....  Step down implant is what I am gravitating to...but I have time to think.

ps: Dr. Ahn is wonderful she is very kind and spent so much time with me....the whole staff treats you with respect, super friendly, privacy is paramount...they didn’t even want me to be in the waiting room if someone else came in.  The offices are NYC elegant....a whole new world :)

Oh....if my insurance wont pay for this....then I’m going to just take these puppies out and be a boy :O) Which I honestly don’t mind :)

Thank you for eading my very long post....any thoughts?  Looking so forward to hearing from those of you who have gone through this...

Best to all, Laura

• jizogarden
    edited May 2013
    Options

Eileen...hope you are feeling better and your infection is all gone and your energy is returning.

I have begun my weight loss process....don't want to disappoint Dr. Ahn ;)

xox Laura

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Laura--sounds as though you are forming a good plan. I used the step done method starting with a 410cc implant. Did use brava from the start. Best on your weight loss program. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Went to see my PS today. Will be wearing brava for next 8 weeks. Will be having minimal Fatgrafting with contouring at my next surgery. Grafting is taking well for me. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited June 2013
    Options

Feeling better now that I am off antibiotics--not 100 percent but getting there.

As stated so pleased with my results to date. I will be going for it. Will be wearing brava for two months as my PS feels this can give me almost 100 percent fat retention. In September will be having minor Fatgrafting without brava, yet lipo and recontouring in other areas.

A uni is difficult--but want to achieve as close a match as possible. No pressure there. Feeling more normal day by day --finally can buy a few new form fitting tops. Eileen

• jizogarden
    edited June 2013
    Options

So glad to hear your feeling better Eileen....should be 100% soon :)

8 weeks of brava....and then touch ups....sounds like you getting near the end!  That must be so encouraging.  Wishing you all the best in these final months :)

I've lost a couple of pounds, miles to go :O)

xox Laura

• EileenKaye1
    edited June 2013
    Options

Fourth Fatgrafting surgery was on may 6. Still think that my RC is looking good--more than double the size of natural breast--nipple is way too low,breast is two wide. Wearing brava 8 hours a nite. Worked thru the week, trained yesterday, heavy work-out today,but so tired. normally not tired from this amount of activity, so hoping to successfully work a full week. So anxious for a normal schedule. Eileen