Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Options

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    Options

I think the insurance should pay,, and I hope you find a surgeon who is willing to work with the insurance company. Can you emphasize how much they annoy you? You can't find bras and prostethics to fit properly because of it, etc. etc. Some have painful nerve endings left in the dog ears. So I would be sure to mention ANY problem that you have with them, in addition to the cosmetic aspect. Don't get me wrong, cosmetic is important too,, but sometimes these surgeons need a little extra push to work with the insurance company. Best of luck, and do keep us posted.

• Icietla
    Icietla Member Posts: 321
    Options

sh2015 -- It is probably a communication problem. I had that problem with one too. The Plastic Surgeon may be thinking (in the term of) *Reconstruction* (for which Insurance would pay), and finding that what you want is not among the general descriptions/ definitions of the enumerated, recognized, billable *Reconstruction* options/procedures. See how this notion might be the problem? I believe *Revision* (or *Mastectomy Revision*) is the characterization you want for your procedure.

Good luck!

• ravzari
    ravzari Member Posts: 32
    Options

tsoebbin

It's like recovering from a really bad cut that needed stitches. You'll want to be careful about stretching, twisting, reaching, etc...for a couple of weeks same as you would if you just had a bad, deep cut that required stitches.

They didn't even stitch mine, I just got surgical glue.

• Imapeep
    Imapeep Member Posts: 1
    Options

My mom had a BMX in 1974 for stage 2b bc. She was 34 years old. She went flat for 43 years. It didn't bother her, as long as you feel comfortable with yourself that's what matters. This is my 1st post but I just wanted to say you are all incredible. This site has helped me through some tough times.

• Icietla
    Options

Welcome, Imapeep. So sorry about your being diagnosed too.

This site has done the same for me. I count it among my blessings.

• glennie19
    Options

welcome imapeep,

I have to say,, I love that your mom went flat for 43 YEARS!! That certainly gives all of us hope in being long term survivors.

This site has been so helpful to me too. I am sure I learned everything I know about lymphedema right here.

glennie

• sh2015
    sh2015 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Icietla--thank you. I never thought of that. I should hear from the insurance company soon and, if they refuse, I will certainly make sure they understand that this is a modification. Greatly appreciate all the help!

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    Options

SH, I forgot to mention that I had my modification surgery (on my prophylactic side) in Cleveland. Whos your insurance provider? I doubt you will have any issues with respect to your surgery

• Breastlessbeth
    Breastlessbeth Member Posts: 1
    Options

The law now is insurance has to pay for reconstruction but try finding a Plastic surgeon sho TAKES insurance. I planned on reconstruction but am in no way able to pay out of network fees and deductibles. I'm not enjoying this daily fight.

• sh2015
    sh2015 Member Posts: 6
    Options

hsant...I found a surgeon who will work with my insurance company and take care of this for me. Cleveland was actually my next stop if this did not work out. I'm only a couple of hours from there.

Surgery is scheduled for June 12th! Yay!!

• denvmom
    denvmom Member Posts: 23
    Options

I love going flat I think I posted that earlier on this posting.  I was huge 44 H.  I do not miss my breasts but that being said I am a widow 67 yr old and not looking for a husband.  I use scarfs to "hide" being "flat",  I had  some "fat" left and had to have the fat removed from under my arms.  Under my arms are now done and feels and looks great.  

Going flat is a personal decision that no one can help you with.  I am older and confident really never notice if men notice I am flat.  Do not care.  If you do not feel comfortable in your skin being flat then I would use breast inserts or get rebuilt.  It is all about what makes you feel best.

• JJ62
    JJ62 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Bump for all those who are flat or considering being so. No regrets!

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    Options

No regrets.

• ravzari
    ravzari Member Posts: 32
    Options

0% regrets here.

I love how I look and I love how easy it is to find shirts that actually fit without buttons nearly popping off at the chest. :D

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,874
    Options

Wish I'd done both. Still hoping to say goodbye to the other one.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Absolutely no regrets.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

5 years, no regrets.

• Icietla
    Options
  • glennie19
    Options

Having prophy MX on Righty on Thurs! then will be completely flat. Looking forward to it.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

In your pocket Glennie. Let us know how it goes for you.

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

Glennie, 

Wish you a speedy recovery.

• amygil81
    amygil81 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Glennie, wishing you all the best, and a speedy recovery.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

Best wishes Glennie.

• glennie19
    Options

Thanks, everyone!!

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    Options

Best of luck @glennie19! I, too, am a uniboob and wear a regular bra, no prosthesis. Would have no problem being completely flat; I was an A cup before surgery any way!

• Memekatrn
    Memekatrn Member Posts: 3
    Options

I had reconstruction 18 years ago, now having them out because of pain. I don’t want to look like a boy. I had a total and hysterectomy, the awful kind because they thought I had ovarian cancer. I feel like filleted fish, now I will look like boy too. I need help getting prosthesis, any ideas for low cost? Thank you all

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,874
    Options

First, check your insurance. It might pay. The least expensive are the microbead, which you can make yourself, or the foam. The foam tends to ride up if not weighted. I've thought to put them in a cami, which would help keep them down. There's also a group that makes knitted knockers. They will send you a pair free. It's pretty easy to add a cup to a bra you already have. You can also wear Coobie or Genii bras which have modesty pads. The opening can be made a little larger to fit in the prosthesis (also known as foob here). Good luck.

• Jeremiah29-11
    Jeremiah29-11 Member Posts: 5
    Options

New flat girl here enjoying wearing XS now!! Thank goodness it's sweater season to help tradition to the new silhouette. I went to a Christmas party last weekend and found a cool metallic jacket that made me feel pretty. So, what stores or labels work for you all? Calvin Klein at Macy's has been pretty good. Any other suggestions? BCBG? WHBM?

I love not being in pain. I love that I don't have endless MRI's in my future. I love that I don't have to replace boobs every 10 years. I love hugging my little dog and feeling his warm little body. This was the right decision for me.

Thank you all, ladies, for your words of inspiration!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Gloria, for me it is still a work in progress with the clothing. I do wear miniature foobs a lot of the time, in large part because I refuse to give up tailored jackets. I have a collection and I love them.

I really want to get a tit-less dressmaker's dummy and experiment with some fabric. I have this idea that the flatness could be exploited, rather than disguised.

But the other thing is, as many have observed, that people really don't notice most of the time, and if they do? One night I was out walking the dog, and almost bumped into a guy missing an arm, as I turned a corner. I couldn't help laughing and to explain my laugh I gestured to the missing tits. He immediately got it, laughed and shrugged, I shrugged and we each went our merry way.

The point is to have joy and beauty in your life:

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

ThumbsUp