Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I look for other flat chested women. A rant.

Options

Comments

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

Welcome, Wicked.

Nerdy

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options
    'Going Flat' After Breast Cancer

Before Debbie Bowers had surgery for breast cancer, her doctor promised that insurance would pay for reconstruction, and said she could "even go up a cup size." But Ms. Bowers did not want a silicone implant or bigger breasts.

"Having something foreign in my body after a cancer diagnosis is the last thing I wanted," said Ms. Bowers, 45, of Bethlehem, Pa. "I just wanted to heal."

While plastic surgeons and oncologists aggressively promote breast reconstruction as a way for women to "feel whole again," some doctors say they are beginning to see resistance to the surgery. Patients like Ms. Bowers are choosing to defy medical advice and social convention and remain breastless after breast cancer. They even have a name for the decision to skip reconstruction: They call it "going flat."

"Reconstruction is not a simple process," said Dr. Deanna J. Attai, a breast surgeon in Burbank, Calif., and a past president of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, adding that more of her patients, especially those with smaller breasts before diagnosis, were opting out of reconstruction. "Some women just feel like it's too much: It's too involved, there are too many steps, it's too long a process."

[more at the link]

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    Options

Let's plan a Seattle meet up in spring. Who's in?

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

Sure!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    Options

I'd love to meet up with some of you. My daughter is moving up by Seattle this spring. Let me know when.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    Options

Count me in.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    Options

new movie,, "Breast-less in Seattle" (sorry couldn't resist!)

• tsoebbin
    Options

What is the best way to organize? A Facebook group?

• glennie19
    Options

Maybe start a separate thread on here? Not everyone is on Facebook.

• Wicked
    Wicked Member Posts: 27
    Options

Never been to Seattle, but would love to go!

• BarredOwl
    BarredOwl Member Posts: 261
    Options

There is a forum in which you can start a thread for a get-together:

Forum: Get Togethers

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/34

BarredOwl

• LindaKR
    Options

do you have a plan for Seattle...I'll be up there late February

• tsoebbin
    Options

no plans, but February may work!

• LindaKR
    Options

Happy

• wendymk2016
    wendymk2016 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I don't mind to be flat because my breast size is very tiny. There are not too much difference from visualizing perspective between my left/right breast.. I did the simple mastectomy on left side and I opt no re-construction.

• joann_k
    joann_k Member Posts: 3
    Options

I had a double mastectomy in August 2014 after multiple excisions and a lumpectomy. It was getting very stressful, particularly since my own mother had died of breast cancer mets. I had extenders inserted at the time of the mastectomies, but my body rejected them...fever, infection, pain, etc. They were removed after a month and another hospitalization. The skin was revised a year later, followed by another infection, and more stress, so I have made the choice to accept my flat chest.

It's now been over two years. My husband of 39 years was always supportive of the surgery and continues to be my biggest cheerleader. His attitude has been that my health is way more important to him than my breasts. We still joke like I have breasts, but he tries to make the situation as stress free as possible in every way.

There are some days and moments when I would like to be shaped like a "normal" woman, but it doesn't bring me down like it used to. Just hoping this helps others who may be in a funk over a flat chest.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

Good for you JoAnn and for your good supportive DH. Sounds like he has his priorities in the right order.

• Wicked
    Options

Finally back at the pool since my BMX on 11/15, so first time in a swimsuit. I bought new racing suits in the next size down, figuring without my somewhat ample chest (36C), I would need a smaller size. They fit fine. A bit of my scar shows under the arms, but that's okay. I still think I look like a badass.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Wicked, you have great "flatitude."

• Wicked
    Options

Kath, I'm going to steal flatitude!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

Wicked, good for you to be in the swim again. Your incisions must be healing very quickly to be back in the pool so soon after mx. Swimming is such a "feel good" activity!

Nerdy

• Tiggerousity
    Tiggerousity Member Posts: 50
    Options

I love this thread and the flattitude 😎 I have been completely flat post nursing three kids and a full D when I had implants then flat again when I decided implants weren't for me.

That was all pre-cancer diagnosis. I opted for DIEP reconstruction (small breast size). I am torn somedays and wish I had the courage to just be flat. The doctors don't seem to understand not all women want to be large breasted.

I support your choice and love your authenticity

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    Options

I was a size A/B cup before my BMX. It's been a year and 1/2 since my surgery, and I have no regrets. Heck, I would walk around topless if I could.:) I've always hated bras, and rarely wore them. I still feel no desire to get a prosthetic. Flat and Fab, ladies

• wendymk2016
    wendymk2016 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I had my left side mastectomy last month. No plan to do reconstruction at all. I am now one month out, I start doing jogging, feels perfect normal like before.

I should mention that I have a small size breast, so, I don't see the value of doing reconstruction for me.

• Wicked
    Options

So I am now 1 month out from my BMX. While I do miss how my breasts looked a little (I had a pretty nice rack!), I don't miss how they felt at all! My breasts would start to swell and hurt at ovulation and continue to hurt until 3 days into my period. I was hurting for 2-1/2 weeks out of a 4 week cycle. Between that and the hematoma I got after a stereotactic biopsy, this is the best my chest has felt in years! I also like the feeling of not having anything hanging off me when I swim.

• pabbie
    pabbie Member Posts: 70
    Options

I am looking to go flat and fabulous this year.

I had a right breast mastectomy in 2014. I talked with 2 PS's about reconstruction but they couldn't pull from the normal areas of skin because I had colo-rectal cancer in 1999, where I had surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation on my butt, inner thighs, and surgery on my stomach. Plus I'm not comfortable with the surgeon pulling from the muscles in my back. I'm 59 this year and need all the muscle strength I can get.

Recently after 3 years of wearing prosthetics and my other boob hanging lower, with getting rashes and sweaty., especially in the hot, summer heat., last summer I became too hermitized in the house with the air conditioning.

New Years goal: go back to PS. I was scheduled for a breast reduction on the left boob from a D to a B size. Then I thought this week, what if I want to go flatter in the future. The PS said if I have an inkling of going flat., do not do the breast reduction.

I'm meeting with my oncology surgeon this Friday to discuss another mastectomy on the left breast. The breast co-ordinator said that I really have to convince her because cancer drs are trained to cut out the body part that has cancer in it. My left breast is okay per my last mammogram.

Wish me luck. I'm glad I found this forum. Take care to all going through this BC journey.

• wren44
    Options

Pabbie, If you're in the US there's a requirement that they make the sides symetrical. They like to do it with augmentation/reduction but going flat is also covered. I'm thinking about getting the other one off too. I'm tired of the foob riding up while the real one sags. And I'm 76 so it is serious sag.

• mebmarj
    mebmarj Member Posts: 143
    Options

Almost 1 week out from the bilateral implant removal. Hate the drains but they are temporary. Still have considerable swelling and not quite flat, but I realize the healing process takes time and the tissue settling down will too.

At this point I'm thankful the back pain, shoulder pain and iron bra are gone. Ahhh

• wren44
    Options

Megmarj, Good that it has taken care of the pain. After a week you're still swollen, so it will flatten more over time.

• glennie19
    Options

Wren, I keep thinking about getting the other one off too. Good to know they will cover symmetry, even flat symmetry.