Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Thanks, RuthBru.  Really appreciate it!

• mortmain
    mortmain Member Posts: 25

Peggy, you and I have nearly identical dx. Your external stressors alone are enough to bear. I've read that many bc sufferers have sources of extreme stress in their lives. Who knows if stress is a causative (<--did I make up this word?) factor. 

Anyway, I too took my first little white pill this morning. I keep checking. I haven't turned into anything exotic yet!

Here goes nothing!

AMy

• good luck to you guys starting on your  Anastrozal, everything will work out,,,,,for me the SE are worth it if it keeps my Cancer from coming back,,, I guess I feel it is something in "my" control. And I feel better knowing I am doing something for myself so I don't ever have to hear those words again,  is it true? Who knows, but physiologically it works for me and I feel safer,,,don't look for no trouble , u get no trouble,,, healing hugz to all,,,,, J

• pontiacpeggy

Absolutely right, JeanieBeanie!  Once was quite enough!

• pontiacpeggy

MortMain,  You told a lie!!!  You said you started your white pills yesterdaySingingI also took my first one in the morning.  I don't think I look anymore weird than usual.  I firmly believe that stress can be a trigger.  My last 4 years have been one huge, long stress session with hubby.  You do what you have do and I'm glad to care for him but that doesn't mean the stress is absent.  Amy, we are going to breeze through the next 5 or 10 years on Arimidex with no problem.  I am curious though.  How old are you?  I'm 69.  Are we twins??

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

I am very fortunate. So far the only side effects I am getting are some hot flashes and increased appetite. I didn't really need or want an increased appetite, but what the hey. It was really cool watching my swollen lymph nodes decrease dramatically in size. Between that and the drop in the cancer marker, I feel confident I am responding well. If I had taken this back in 2012, maybe it would not have metastasized. You girls keep taking that little white pill.

• pontiacpeggy

Dunesleeper, glad you're responding well!  Don't try to second guess your approach the first time.  You did what YOU thought was best for YOU!  What cancer marker are they using?  Didn't know there are some for BC.  HUGS!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

Dunes, so glad you are getting a good response! And I want to thank you for being willing to share your experience with others.

Peggy, I hope you are able to take little breaks & do some things that are enjoyable for you; take a walk, go out for coffee with friends, get a facial.....whatever would give you a little lift. When you are a caretaker, you have to make sure you take care of yourself too.

• pontiacpeggy

ruthbru, I am trying to take breaks. It is easier when DH is in rehab rather than at home. Thanks for the support. 

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

Gosh Peggy. I don't know which cancer marker they are looking at. I thought there was only 1. All I know is that it doubled to something like 48, which is still low; and so they thought I was ok. I was watching these lumps appear and grow on me and calling them only to hear that there is nothing to worry about because my bloodwork was good. One person even called me paranoid. I wanted so bad, when I finally got in to be seen, to stick my big hit red lumps in their faces and ask "paranoid?".

• pontiacpeggy

dunesleeper, I didn't know there are ANY markers for bc. I can certainly understand why you're paranoid, I would be too. It IS your body after all. Anyway is great there is a marker. My daughter-in-law's colon cancer also had a marker. Take care! 

• mortmain
    mortmain Member Posts: 25

You're right, Peggy, I lied. I dated my Hormonal therapy before I actually used it. After reading posts on here where most seemed to be taking Anastrozole in the morning, I put off my first pill until the next day (have corrected my date). I think I was also responding to some reports of insomnia being caused by this pill? Don't need any more of that!

There's a really old Porky Pig cartoon with a cat that has trouble sleeping. After counting a million fish jumping (the way some count sheep), the cat reaches for a bottle labeled 'Take Deze and Doze'. When the cap comes off, out springs a giant hammer, the cat hits himself in the head, and voila: the answer to all sleep problems. Happy

We're twins separated by a decade, Peggy. I'll by 59 next month. What's a few years? We're all sisters here!

I'll look out for your progress, and I believe in the stress thing re: illness. It just makes sense.

Amy

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Peggy, The marker used for me is CA 15-3.  I believe it is used much more in Canada than the US.  In reading these threads it seems that the onco's in the US don't think it's very accurate.  The cancer agency here in BC thinks that has something to do with the same lab always doing the test, which is why I always go to the same place to have it done.  Consistency seems to be part of the issue.  Dee

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

on my labs slips the tumor markers are called C25-27 I think

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I was at the sewing center near my house, hanging with my geekie sewing pals for the afternoon, someone reminded me that it is scientifically proven that sewing lowers BP and stress levels~~

course it helps if you and your machine have a relationship and not fighting~!~

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Peggy et al - just so you know there are three TM's (tumour markers) used in the U.S. and Canada - the problem is some people's TM's don't reflect their bc so most oncs don't really use them - mine do because when mine go up they find things on scans and when they're down the scans show less cancer - my onc uses the TM's in conjunction with scans, etc. to treat me - I was treated in the U.S. at the beginning of this and I've been treated in Canada for the last four plus years - you can find out all about TM's by checking threads that discuss same - I don't have any of my file in front of me or I'd be more help - sorry.

• pontiacpeggy

Well, I've certainly learned something.  Hadn't heard anything about markers.  Interesting the different national approaches though what I just looked up online seems to indicate that some oncologists here in the US use it.  Must be in cases that meet some sort of criteria.

Mortmain, you're right.  We are ALL sisters!  So far so good after 2 daysNerdy No, we do NOT need insomnia and hopefully don't need to be knocked over the head either.  I decided on morning mostly because I have GERD and figured it would be less likely to aggravate it (if that was going to happen) if I took it early.  And nothing wrong with being awake during the day!  Haven't gotten rid of the radiation fatigue yet.  I'll be happy to be back to normal exhaustion.  HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

ProudtoSpin, I love to sew but it's been on the back burner for the past 4 years with hubby.  When you're "on demand" 24/7 you tend to not do projects of any sort that can't be dropped instantly and I find that I don't sew that way, I need to stop in an orderly fashion (finish what I'm doing e.g.).  But it is wonderful and I miss it.

• pontiacpeggy

208Sandy, thanks.  Once I heard about the tumor markers, I suspected that their use was dependent on some criteria (which I apparently didn't meet).  Obviously they are very helpful for you.  That's good.  If you get a chance, I know I'd appreciate seeing your updated profile.  You've obviously been around for awhile.  Thanks again for the info!

• hi ladies👍😉 I know my BS used markers when they did biopsy, he said when they got results back if needed it would tell him where the tumors were, I also know they use them for blood work, I am going to have to remember that question when I go back to Onc. What markers do they use,,,

• pontiacpeggy

JeanieBeanie, the radiologist who did my biopsy put titanium markers in where she did the biopsy but I believe none looked for tumor markers like mentioned above that could be measured by a blood test.

• yes Peggy, that's what they put in ,,, titanium markers,,, I would imagine they are gone now along with my Breast.....but I think they use some kind of "marker" when we get our Bloodwork done,,,,

• pontiacpeggy

Jeaniebeanie, I'd think your titanium markers were gone too since you had a mastectomy.  I assume mine are gone with my lumpy.  

I am familiar with the CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer.  

• not sure,,,, going to ask,,,, about Bloodwork markers

• Imheretoo
    Imheretoo Member Posts: 5
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

Some doctors check tumor markers & some don't. They are notoriously inaccurate, but can show trends......let's say yours was always around a certain number & all of the sudden it tripled, that would put up some red flags. My oncologist does have them checked, which I realize might be giving me a false sense of security when they come back normal, but which might help catch something earlier if they don't.

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Imheretoo!  Good article.  

• pontiacpeggy

Ruthbru, that makes sense.  Your doctor will know what's been normal for YOU.  

• interesting,,,, thank you,,,,, I have a ? That has nothing to do with this conversation but I was wondering something,,,,, is anyone here able to collect any disability or financial help since your DX?????

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I have a workmans comp claim pending but it is more based on the asthma and breathing issues from working in the printing industry, they are including the fact that I was also diagnosed with BC, no feedback as yet