Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

thanks ladies!

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395

Blownaway - I had horrible hot flashes/night sweats for two years and went on the patch for HRT.  I wore it for 18 months and then I found my lump and took it off.  Hot flashes/night sweats returned almost immediately.  I started Armidex about a month ago and they are still the same - at least they are not worse lol.  I was hoping I would have some sort of reverse SE that would make them better but no luck... oh well.  

• mortmain
    mortmain Member Posts: 25

Dang, Linda! I like the way you think ("I was hoping I would have some sort of reverse SE that would make them better but no luck... oh well.") I felt the same way about radiation-induced fatigue -- thought it might cancel out my insomniaSmile. Why doesn't life work the way I think it should?

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395

Lol Mortmain - we should get some bennies from the stuff that we have to deal with right?  

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662

As we say in Texas "Yall are so funny!!!" Right now I'm having my 4th hot flash of the day and it's only about 10:45 a.m.  I've decided to start counting them so that I will know for sure if the Arimidex is going to make them worse. I'm dreading taking the stuff but I'm guessing my doc will write the script as soon as rads are over with, at which time I plan to pin him down on ANYTHING AT ALL that I can take to alleviate them....or....maybe we can just bring back streaking....

• Linda, I also was using Essian (HRT) for quite a while, was having problems on that so they switched me to estradiol,,,, WORST move of my life,,, I told doc I didn't want to take it due to side effects,,,, I was a smoker, I was a bartender, so if I drank 1 glass of wine it raised my estrogen level 4xs, also worked double shifts so on my feet for 17 hrs, so I wouldn't know if I had a clot or not if my legs hurt,also higher risk for breast cancer,,,,,,, so his reply was "well if you don't want to take it what do u want me to do for you?"!!!!!  So,,, I took it!!!!!that was 2012 had a lot of problems and side effects from that for the first year,,, 2013 my next Mammo and there it was,,,, those dreaded 4 words!!!!! You have BREASTCANCER!!!!!!  Bam!!!!! Stop taking hormones,,,,, holy shit,,, are they kidding me,,,,I also went immediately to 30-40 hot flashes a day, I never went anywhere without a dry washcloth,,, something to wipe it off my face,,, worse at night,,,, I will say it has been 9 months since I started Anastrozal, the first6 were the worst between no hormones and Anastrozal,,,, they have tapered off immensely,, thank God,, I am down to maybe,,, 2 a day unless triggered by food or drink,,, there is hope,,, you couldn't tell me that back then cause I was either going to hurt someone or myself,,, no sleep, fatigued,cranky,pissed off, headaches,mood swings,,,it was very bad,,,,, just hang in there ,, I can promise that it will get better, it did for me and I am sure it will for you,,,, healing Hugz to all,,,,,,,, J

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Some women find Effexor helps with the hot flashes. I tried it for a few months, did help.  They settled down on their own now.

• my Gyn just gave me a sample is Brisdelle,, for hot flashes, my choice if I wanted too,, it has NO ESTROGENS, no hormones,,, I have decided to ride it out instead of taking another med and it's possible side effects,,,I forgot to mention that my 2012 mammogram was fine,,,, 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Hi all. I realized I haven't popped in here in a while. A long while. Page 68. LOL 

I have a trigger finger. Started about a year ago. Don't want to drop Nasty Soul for some other med because  i do not have too many other side effects except for joint aches. But my hand aches, and the locking of the finger when I try to open jars or cans or grab anything is a real pain!  So I'm asking if anyone had this and got cortisone shots?  Or if I need to find another AI. I've been on Nasty Soul ( anastrozole) for over 2 years. 

Much love

• spookiesmom

I had trigger thumb a few months after starting. Pcp did the shot.  I wasn't going to just put up with it. It hurt a little bit, he added lidocaine in it too. Now it's fine.  A bit achey sometimes, that's it.

I say go for it.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I know this has been discussed before but looking back at the posts there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.  Can I eat an grapefruit once in a while, while on anastrozole?  I haven't had a grapefruit for 6 years. :(  I can hear them mocking me in the grocery store....  GG

• spookiesmom

Why not? It's the cholesterol meds grapefruit/citrus that don't mix.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

and grapefruit may not good with Herceptin or chemo. 

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

Mnflwr912 - Nasty Soul - what a perfect name for anastrozole!!!!!!!  I had trigger finger on it shortly after starting ... and this lasted for a year (in my left thumb and I am left handed) and went away by itself. I wasn't allowed to take anything for it because I was also taking warfarin (my tendency to pulmonary embolism also made taking tamoxifen a big No No).  I had so many horrible side effects on Nasty Soul and after just over two years, the onc. changed me over to letrozole.  Unfortunately, all the side effects continued and after a year on that, the onc. has allowed me to stop taking an AI.  Scarey stuff, but it has been a month today since I stopped taking it and I am enjoying sleeping again!!!  I am no longer as stiff as a board and can gt out of bed without help!!!  My heart has stopped being a contender for Formula 1 racing at any time of day or night.  BUT, the cruel twist is that my hot flashes are much, much worse, as are the night sweats.  I even get hot flashes while swimming!  And now, have started getting two migraines a week again after having only a few in the past 3 years ...  However, it is early days and I did also stop taking warfarin only a week after the letrozole, so will have to wait it out and see what happens.  I wish you luck with your trigger finger - it's the worst in the middle of the night when you involuntarily bend your finger in your sleep ...  All the best with nasty soul ...

• GG27

I was curious about grapefruit because I was told "absolutely no grapefruit" while I was on tamoxifen.  I've only been on anastrozole since May.  I don't want anything that might make my meds any less effective.  I am going to ask when I see the onco on the 22nd, but thought I'd see what all of you had to say about it.  GG

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

The grapefruit "thingy" is that it might make meds stronger than they should be - check with your pharmacist to find out which meds are affected - drs probably wouldn't have detailed info on this.  (Don't you just love my grasp of language "thingy" - I mean really???!)

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

thingie works for me, I have gotten good info from my local pharmacist, since I am allergic to many things, my pharma person actually questioned and called my doc on an antibiotic given by a new doc.

• spookiesmom

I saw someplace to wait at least an hour after one to do the other. I can't do citrus, bummer for me, it's in my yard.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Day 1 of Arimidex.  Prior to today (and today for that matter) I haven't had hot flashes in decades (I'm 69).  Hopefully won't have any problems!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

My oncologist said that it was fine to eat an occasional grapefruit while on Arimidex, just don't make it an every day thing.

• proudtospin

Peggy, I have a feeling you will be fine, the upfront worry is the worst! 

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, ProudToSpin.  I never minded the few hot flashes I had since I'm always cold (and that hasn't changed :) ).

• GG27

Actually Sandy, I love the "thingy"  I do that all the time!! Loopy  I have a call into the hospital pharmacist right now.  You're right, they would probably know better than the Dr.

Thanks Ruth & Spookies.  I am going to chance one of the Ruby reds that keep calling my name....  GG

• proudtospin

Peggy, not sure if your remember Norman Vincent Peale, he was a paster at a church in Manhattan and I heard his sermons several times.  he wrote a book called The Power of Positive Thinking!  think positive

yeah, I really never had much in the way of hot flashes so maybe that is why the med did not cause me much either

• pontiacpeggy

That's good to know, ProudToSpin.  Of course, I'm old enough to remember him and his book!  And I really do think positive.  Rather hard after the year I've had but maybe I'm a pollyanna :)

• proudtospin

no, you are just dealing with the stress, hang on and do something fun this weekend!  if you were near me in NJ I would drag you to the Jersey Shore for seafood and looking at the ocean! 

• pontiacpeggy

I'd love to, ProudToSpin.  However, hubby's in Critical Decision Unit, rushed to ER this morning from rehab.  He'll be released tomorrow back to rehab.  He's extremely weak and will not be independent when and if he is strong enough to come home.  Parkinson's.  And I'm so fatigued from my rads which ended yesterday.  Maybe next week I can get out a bit.  Enough whining.  Thanks!!!!

• proudtospin

Understand Peggy, and Parkinsons seems like such a cruel diagnosis so just keep on trucking and hey, whining is allowed on these boards! 

• pontiacpeggy

Aw, thanks, ProudtoSpin.  I'm chugging along.  Appreciate being able to whine in the comfort of these boards.  You guys are the best!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

Thinking of you, Peggy.