Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• jdmac1199
    jdmac1199 Member Posts: 33

Hi Ladies,

I started Arimidex three weeks ago along with Lupron shots.  I don't know how much you all pay for it but I used a coupon from GoodRX.com and got it for $14 from Walmart which was half what it would of cost me with my insurance. So far no side effects from it I think. Had my first Lupron shot yesterday though and today my hips ach so badly and I don't know if it's the Lupron or the Arimidex.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Kayak

Is it vit D3? Should be, check with your MO.

• spookiesmom

Peg, I think I've found a lotion I can live with! It's Aveeno creamy moisturizing oil. Has a pinkish label. I don't feel like I'm going to slide out of my clothes, and it's not sticky! Found it at Walmart

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I ve used Aveeno, nice stuff

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I used Aquaphor. It certainly isn't a lotion but it does work. Glad you found something that works for you, Spookiesmom!

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718

Aquaphor stained too many of my clothes and I had to throw them out. I looked for alternatives and found that Neutrogena Moisture wrap is a lovely lotion that never stains. A light creme body butter made by the amusingly named Say Yes To Carrots company was wonderful after radiation ended. I used it instead of Aquaphor. I also use it on my winter chapped hands and it leaves them feeling soft.

• pontiacpeggy

I just used Aquaphor at night and had no issues with my sleepwear. But everyone's body seems to react differently to the various "stuff" to help our skins. The important thing is to find what works for YOU! Love the name of that lotion!

• proudtospin

I am currently using Neutrogenia/anti itch or skin calming cream.  Seems I am sensitive to chlorine in the pool and this calms the itchies

• spookiesmom

I'm way past rads, but this winter my sorry hide is flaking like a snowstorm. I've tried a bunch of products. This one seems the best so far

• pontiacpeggy

My legs seem to be the most miserable. I use Dr Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion on them. Neutrogena hand creme on the dried out hands (it is greasy but at night, who cares?). We each find the best thing for us, don't we?

• proudtospin

you are right Peggy, dang dry skin is a pain but I do find when I drink my quota of H2O that my skin is not as dry. and if I use the cheap cream at the gym every day, life is less.....dry

• pontiacpeggy

That works, Iris!

• spookiesmom

Less dry????LOL

• tobyholic
    tobyholic Member Posts: 53

Brookside.......I didnt know they could do that. I'll call the insurance company and ask them. Thanks

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96

It takes about 10 days for the arimidex to be what the company considers totally out of your system. Often before other surgeries, women are told to stop taking it.

• ingodshands
    ingodshands Member Posts: 3

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

jdmac1199 I use GoodRX from time to time when my insurance prices are out of range.

ibrewer I was never told to stop taking it or Hercepting for any of my reconstruction surgeries.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542

I was not told to stop Arimidex when I had hernia surgery.....and I asked about it.

• Manu14
    Manu14 Member Posts: 36

I just finished taking my first week of anastrozole and feel pretty good about it. I know, it's still early, and really bothersome side effects may start in the coming months. So far, I've had a bit of nausea and a few minor headaches but figure they'll disappear as my body adjusts.

I broke into my first batch of gin raisins (thankful for Ruth's recipe) yesterday. My biggest decision was trying to decide if I should eat them during the middle of the day and consider them a serving of fruit; or wait until happy hour and enjoy the essence of gin . . . gotta have a little fun with all this. If they can take the edge off of any future joint pain, that's great.

Later in the week I should be finding out about my DEXA scan results; and I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't show anything too bad. Is it a given that anastrozole will reduce bone density or do some women get through treatment without that becoming a problem?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Manu bone issues caused by the AIs don't happen that fast. I was osteopenic to start. I didn't go to osteoperosis till 2 years on the drug (just over the border on my spine only). I also have a family history, small frame and went into chemopause. The biggest bone density loss is usually the first year or two after menopause.

• pontiacpeggy

Manu, I've been taking Anastrozole for 3-1/2 months now. No problems. My MO put me on Fosamax since I was osteopenic. No issues with it either. I'm nearly 25 years beyond menopause so I'd guess that with the Fosamax I'll be just fine. I'll stick to my wine though I know many will like Ruth's recipe.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

My onc ordered a DEXA scan just after I started arimidex. Although I was already pretty durned close to osteoporosis, he wanted the next scan to be two years out. In other words, as Lago indicated, these issues don't happen that fast.

• proudtospin

I started my AL with all clear as  I had taken Fosamax in the past and it definitely improved

but I did not want to take it again so started more weight bearing exercises when I began the med.

at the end, I was good with only minor osteopenia so working out helps

• Manu14
    Manu14 Member Posts: 36

i appreciate everyone's reassuring comments about bone health/loss. Glad to know I won't immediately fall apart, if at all. And Peggy, nope I'm not giving up my red wine with dinner either. Just adding the gin raisins.

• jojo2373
    jojo2373 Member Posts: 60

Manu doing well too after my first week. My mo said I will get a bone scan in 2 years, liver function test after 30 days.

• pontiacpeggy

Manu, you have a few years before falling apart :) I'll let you have my gin/raisins!

JoJo, a liver function test? For the Arimidex? That's new to me.

• jojo2373
    jojo2373 Member Posts: 60

Pontiac Pegg she does a CMP on each patient after 30 days on Arimidex.

• pontiacpeggy

Oh, I just had a CMP done by my PCP. All looked good. My MO hadn't mentioned any such test. Interesting how the approaches vary by physician, isn't it?

• spookiesmom

I see that on my lab slips all the time, never knew what it meant, never asked. Thanks

• AussieElaine
    AussieElaine Member Posts: 43

Hi Peggy, I keep seeing references to the gin raisins thing and would love the recipe, where can I find it please? I have been on AL for 33 days with no SE's so far except loss of appetite. Keeping my fingers crossed for no joint pain. I have been keeping pretty active and will be starting the study on whole body vibration for AI users next month.