Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

it's amazing how long the aftereffects of leg cramps last, isn't it? You'd think they'd just happen and go and you'd be fine.

This is the best place to get answers, help and remedies for most anything that affects us - BC related or not. I love that. If you have it, someone else likely has had it too and maybe found an answer to it. THANK HEAVENS!!!

HUGS!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Exemestane is more expensive than Anastrozole. Good thing now is my deductible for drugs isn't so high.

• Maasai123
    Maasai123 Member Posts: 1

Due to side effect of pancreatitis, and Oncologist telling me to stay on it despite pain and lab values, I'm thinking of taking my chances without arimidex. Whose needs are we meeting? Ours or oncologists?

I went for second opinion at Cleveland clinic last week and was told latest research recommends ten rather than five years on hormonal treatment.

Does anyone else have side effects that make you question how you want to live life...less time on earth, but without side effects from hell

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Yes Maasai..... I have asked myself that question many times.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer.

• Fionascottie
    Fionascottie Member Posts: 56

ruthbru, thanks so much for the explanation about drunken raisins. I've put golden raisins on my grocery list! I've got the gin:)

One week down with Arimidex and so far, so good. Joint pain, for sure, but not Advil level every day. Some days there has been very little discomfort, some days I've taken 800mg of Advil and been driven to lie down until it took the edge off. During the wait for the Advil to kick in, I have been rubbing Tiger Balm into the joint area. I'm not sure whether it is actually helping or whether massaging the area around the joints is helping, but whatever it is, the combo gets rid of most of the pain for hours. My knees, hips, hands and feet are the spots.

I'm battling to get more exercise and clean up my diet. After chemo, when food started tasting good again, I started eating whatever I felt like for the most part. And exercise? I've mostly been a couch potato since last June when chemo started. I already had a weight issue, but did get regular exercise up til then. My MO reminded me that obesity is a risk factor for a return of BC. I've had a creeping weight gain since menopause in my mid 40s.....it has been creeping steadily up. I have taken Paxil for anxiety for years and I do think it is a factor. I saw a mention of weight gain on this board as a side effect listed for Arimidex. Scared.......yikes! I'm still getting Herceptin infusions every three weeks and don't think I have any real side effects from it, but my energy and drive are still in a slump! Weight loss looks like another mountain I need to climb and I can't find real lasting motivation ( though the return of BC SHOULD be motivation enough!) Is anyone else faced with this? I need to lose at least 40 pounds.....but 60-70 would be ideal.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

There are two good threads on the fitness forum that you might want to check out if you want some weight loss and/or exercise buddies. Wednesday Weigh In (we don't have to post our weight, just what we have lost Smileor gained Sad) and Lets Post Our Daily Exercise, a great group of ladies in all phases of treatment and beyond, and at all exercise levels too.

• lago

Maasai123 I do question but I am trying the best I can to make it to 5 years. Then I'll see about the 10.

Fionascottie I gained about 10 lbs on Anastrosole in 3 years. When I switched to Exemestane I lost it.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I was told at the beginning 10 years.

• ruthut
    ruthut Member Posts: 1

So many of these posts seem to be a few years old already. I took Anastrozole for 5 years and Onc told me to stop cold turkey last June (2014) About a few weeks to a month later I developed severe nausea and a metallic taste in my mouth. I wasn't sure if this was caused by an antibiotic I had been taking for a UTI (which I have taken before and never had that reaction) or by the sudden hormonal changes by stopping the Anastrozole. I had an endoscopy and blood tests which found no cause for the nausea or metallic taste. I have to attribute it to the Anastrozole. The symptoms lasted a good 5 months and now has been 9 months and the metallic taste has subsided mostly, but I still get bouts of nausea, but not as bad. Has anyone heard of anyone else having this post Anastrozole reaction?. TIA

• pontiacpeggy

Spookiesmom, I was told 5 years by my MO in September. By November he seemed to think 10 years but is waiting to see how things I think. So far so good.

• spookiesmom

It's amazing how the docs differ on this!!!

• pontiacpeggy

SpookiesMom, as near as I can tell, they seem to differ on most everything. Such a wide variety of opinions, options etc. Guess you just have to go with your trusted doc. They all want what's best for you. HUGS!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

My oncotype score is 2 and my MO last week told me it was worth keeping on the AI for at least the 5 years. He said no way to really predict what the percent benefit is of taking it vs not. He also said the studies being done now on 5 vs 10 yrs will show more about which to do when I hit my 5 year mark, in 3 1/2 years. I dont have many se but I dont think Id be down for 10 years.

• SusanSnowFlake
    SusanSnowFlake Member Posts: 57

Has anyone else experienced a slight burning sensation of their lady parts that is attributed to this drug?

• pontiacpeggy

Susan, I haven't. I've been on it 5-1/2 months with no issues. That's a distressing thing to have crop up :(

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I have a definite dryness
    my MO gave me the name of some safer creams to use, never tried them but suggest you talk to your MO

• spookiesmom

Maybe a UTI?

• SusanSnowFlake
    SusanSnowFlake Member Posts: 57

Maybe dryness is the problem, good suggestions thank you guys..

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Ruthut- I went off my anastrazole from Feb 10 to March 24 and I developed nausea (mild) about 2.5 weeks after I stopped....the same kind I had during the first month or so I was on the "nasty soul" as the other ruth calls it....

• Louanne
    Louanne Member Posts: 15

Hello all, I'm new to this group. I was on Tamoxifen for 6 months, and developed neuropathy in my calf and foot, couldn't even feel my toes. I just made the year mark in January, (through menopause finally) and was switched to Arimidex. I have been on it less than a month, and already feeling hip, and femur pain, but can now feel and wiggle my toes. Have any of you experienced pain in that short of time on Arimidex?

• lago

Louanne my SE started at 3 months but some people did get the sooner

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

YAY- I am officially off the Femara and back on my Arimidex.  We will monitor my lipid profile every 3 months and I can put the Garlic and FIsh OIl back into my supplement list.  Said to wait a week or two for the Femara to clear m system.

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Welcome Louanne!  I'm fairly new here as well.  Today is my 30th day on Arimidex.  I'm on the generic.  Thus far I have not experienced any new aches or pains.  I run almost every day so I'm always a little sore but haven't noticed anything new or different since starting the medication.  I'm really sorry you are having pain already.  Are you taking the name brand or generic?  What time of day do you take it?  I take mine at bedtime. 

• Louanne

Thanks lago! I'm going for a bone density next month. Maybe that will shed some light on it. Hope your SE's are tolerable!

Thanks for the welcome meljo614! Glad you're not having any SE's. I'm on the generic brand, I take it in the morning. Have not been exercising lately with the SE I've been having. Need to start again. I'm 5'2" 125 lbs. I could lose a few pounds it may take some strain off my joints.

• pontiacpeggy

Louanne, welcome and sorry you are having SE issues. Hopefully you'll find a way to conquer them. Are you taking Fosamax or other bone protecting medication? My MO put me on it right away when I started anastrozole. At 69 I already had some stiffness issues as most of us have but nothing has intensified with the anastrozole. Glad your toesies are doing better! HUGS!!!

• lago

Louanne I was on Anastrozole for 3 year till the SE got a little much. I've been on Exemestane now for almost a year. Much better for me.

• Louanne

Thanks for the reply Peggy! I'm not on any prescriptions for bones. I take vitamin D and calcium. Guess I'll see after the bone density test. Toes are fine now. It's amazing how happy I was I could move my toes again! My family thought I won the lottery! Hugs back!

lago, I haven't heard of Exemestane, glad you found what works for you!

• pontiacpeggy

Louanne, moving your toes again must be a close second to winning the lottery. Do ask your MO about Fosamax or the drugs to prevent bone loss. HUGS!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Keep moving even if you're achy. It will help, and maybe do the trick all on it's own, as your body adjusts.

• lago

Louanne exemestane is generic aromasin. Here is a list of the aromatase inhibitors and their generic names: linky