Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

You're in my thoughts, Cee!! HUGS back at ya!

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Cee, I am two years post-menopause.  My cycle stopped very abruptly when I was 45--the month my Mom died after an ugly battle with brain cancer.  I think it was stress-induced.  I've only been on anastrozole for 3 1/2 weeks.  So far I haven't really suffered any major SE's but thought the heart palpitations were worth mentioning.  I do have some issues with anxiety so it is entirely possible it is related to that.  My BP was nice and low still today 116/60 even though I was nerved up; last one was 112/65.  I am so sorry these drugs aren't working for you.  Why don't you want to try tamoxifen?  I'm sorry if you have already stated why many times.  I'm new here... 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Meljo--your heart may have been affected by your radiation as you had a left side cancer like me.  I did not breath in a pattern that allowed them to do "respiratory gating" during my rads. 

• Redheaded1

Cee, I had a complete hysterectomy  at 47
    Long before the Breast Cancer and the hot flashes about killed me.  I swore I would not to estrogen patches but I did for about 6 months.  Otherwise, that hysterectomy was one of the best things I ever did for me.  Why I drug it out so long I just don't know.

The AI's are not all alike.  The Arimidex and Femera are very similar, but the Exemestane is different.  It is non-reversible and may have a steroid component?  Ifound some good comparisons of them on this site.

Its funny you don't want the Tamoxifen.  That is the one I wanted to do and because I was post meno- my doctor wouldn't consider it unless I try all the AI's first.....  

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Mary59G and anyone else with leg cramps...I have gotten them so bad I could almost cry -especially when I have gotten them in my thigh...anyway, I started taking magnesium malate 2 x a day and that has seem to help a lot ... but I have to take it twice a day -once isn't enough.. I don't know why it helps but it does.

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Thanks I will get some tomorrow Nancy, anything will be better than prunes. Did it take a few days to get in your system? Or did it work right away? Hopefully it doesn't take long because I get them so bad I too could cry!

Mary

• Cee67
    Cee67 Member Posts: 43

Meljo...I'm a gal who is squeamish and does not do anything GYN. Because Tamox can affect that area, I wanted to skip it. I told my onc I didn't want anything that can cause issues in that area. I've made it this long without a pelvic and I'd have to be unconscious to ever submit to one. I heard Tamox starts affecting the uterus from pill #1.

My GP suggested uterus removal thru my vagina so I could take Tamox. After hubby helped me back into my chair after I almost fainted from shock (not literally) I explained to GP that such a procedure sounded awful and painful, I had to gently remind her that it's *still* a GYN procedure and I won't do it, and so it was decided AI's would be better....until the Arimidex fiasco.

I'm upset with my former onc for just saying AI's are all the same. She sent me home and said to let nature take its course, which is essentially condemning me to death. I've heard too many women here say they *aren't* all the same, just as has been explained here more than once. I want to try Aromasin, but I will wait and see what the UCLA onc wants to try :)

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Mary - I feel like it worked quickly... the ones I got are 1250 mg ---make sure its the magnesium malate ..I take one in the morning and one at night.. I really hope this works for you also...

• meljo614

Cee, you have never had a pelvic exam?!  I had to deal with infertility so I feel like I have had about a million of them.  Ha!  In all seriousness though, we all have to decide what is right for us based on the information we are given by our medical professionals and the information we attain for ourselves through research.  My MO did not 'put me on something'.  He explained how all the drugs work and the potential side effects, made a recommendation, and then let ME decide.  I really hope you have better luck with your new dr.  Please keep us posted!  Just sent up a prayer for you. 

Red, I had IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy).  I had to lay on my stomach, with my breast hanging in a hole just like stereotactic biopsy.  Is that what you had?  It is supposed to be better at targeting the area they want and avoiding the heart and lungs.  I had 5 weeks of whole breast and then one week of concentrated doses to the tumor area. 

• Redheaded1

No, that's not how I had mine---although I have heard of it.  Mine was lying flat on my back and they had  a TRU BEAM ACCELERATOR that was just installed before I started my treatment.  The machine rotated around me and zapped me from programed angles that lined  up with the markers they put on my body.  I did 28 treatments (no boosts).  Maybe your heart is better protected.  I hope so.  Sounds like you take good care of your body too.

My biopsy wasn't stereotactic either.

• meljo614

Red, it was interesting.  My RO showed me some images they took which showed exactly where the radiation was going (lit up green).  They were able to target right around the border of my heart without actually hitting it.  Amazing technology.  I'm sure there is some margin of error and I'm guessing she didn't show me those images where they got more heart than they wanted to.  Honestly, I never gave a thought to the fact that my cancer was left breast until my first RO consult.  This is something they should talk to you about right away before surgery.  I may have opted for mastectomy if I had known the risks to my heart and lungs.  I have asthma too, so my lungs were a big concern to me as well.  Water under the bridge I guess...

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285

I am so jealous of you ladies that had rads in a safer way. Did your insurance cover that. I have Kaiser and I had it the old fashion way. I like the idea of trying to miss the heart and lungs. I feel like those rad treatments must cut off at least 10 years of heart and lung health. I had a cough for two years after and my heart races periodically. I am 67 years old. My mom is 94, so when they assign rad treatment they say my life expectant is 82. They don't realize that 82 is disappointing to me.....LOL

• Redheaded1

I don't think that doing respiratory gating is a big deal.  I was pissed tha they didn't tell me they c9ouldn't do it for me until during one of my doctor day visits I popped up and nosed thru my electronic chart and saw the word "no respiratory gating".  I demanded to know what it was and I was really pissed because I had asked the techs 2-3 times if they were doing it and instead of saying no, they evaded thequestion .  I would definitely have had the mastectomy had I kjnown/

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

On the other hand, I was assured that rads would absolutely leave a thin slice of scar tissue on my lung (right), that this was unavoidable. Recently, for an unrelated reason, I had a chest x-ray. Guess what? No scar. I guess the prediction was more caveat than actuality.

• stage1

Yes, we needed better information up front. I guess they think we can't make decisions. While they are difficult decsions, they should be ours. I asked for a thyroid cover, and they said they don't do that, well, I just gave up and gave into submitting to whatever....I knew at that point my choices were limited

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

I asked for thyroid protection during rads also. I was told that the beam they use is so powerful that:

1. There is virtually no scatter.

2. If there were to happen to be scatter, it would blast right through the shield.

I was comfortable without the shield. I'm even more comfortable when my dentist hauls out the lead apron with the thyroid shield attached.

• stage1

Brokside, good to know, I am one that wants to know the science and what you can't see is always questionable to meShocked

• meljo614

stage1, my insurance--United Health Care did pay for all my treatments (after big deductible and out of pocket max) 😕. I am getting my meds cheap though, only $4.90 a month!

Red, I was not offered respiratory gating either. Not sure if that is used with IGRT.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

meljo614 that's good to know. We just switched last week to United Health Care. I'm hoping my Exemestane cost less on it that on Aetna. Still waiting for my numbers.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

good luck Lago, I know that my meds are much less on United Health Care than on Aetna but that is Medicare plan.  When I first went on Medicare, I signed up with Aetna plan and was staggered by how expensive they were.  I was able to switch plans during the initial 30 day period and very pleased with the costs I am seeing with the United Plan.   It is the AARP plan

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

hi all, one week on anastrozole and so far so good. Still getting hot flashes but I'm used to those. SickTired

Mary59G, I get those wicked foot & leg cramps too. It seems crazy but the bar of soap trick works for me.  

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/05/29/skeptics-become-bed-soap-believers-to-overcome-leg-cramps/

Last week they came back with a vengeance so I got a new bar of soap (yes they can lose their potency).  My DH is on his feet all day and gets leg cramps sometimes too.  He swears by a shot of dill pickle juice but I'd rather eat something with prepared yellow mustard that has vinegar and turmeric.  Some folks say those help too.  Packed turkey sandwiches with lots of mustard for lunches last week.  IDK which it was but it worked.

I'm getting generic anastrozole mfg in India from Accord per the package insert.  It's unfolds like a road map, a lengthy doc with tiny print.  You may have to ask for it, but it's a great source of info esp if, like mine, your pills don't come in the original bottle.  My HMO has a $5 drug co-pay for 30 days of a generic for which I'm grateful.

• stage1

thanks, Meljo, good to know about insurance coverage. Ladies that have the bad leg cramps...I ended up in ER a year or so ago as a leg cramp was so intense that I passed out. DH took me to ER and all it was was dehydration. I never go without water anymore, even in the middle of the night. If I feel thirsty I get water. Also, what works for me is stretching all those muscles after working out

• Mary59G

Badger and Stage 1,thanks so much......I do need to drink more water, I drink alot of tea guess that doesn't count. And the bar of soap I will try. Thanks for all the help from everyone! Turkey sandwich sounds really good to with mustard!

Mary

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Iago, like Proud, I get mine through United Health Care and Medicare. Forget how much I pay, but pretty reasonable.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I'm not old enough for Medicare, Not even close.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I have Humana Medicare Advantage plan. No charge for any generic, don't have to use mail order.

• meljo614

Mary59, glad things are going ok so far on the anastrozole. I am two days away from finishing my first month. Still feeling good. Also, if your tea has caffeine, that might contribute to your dehydration cramping.

Lago, crossing my fingers you catch a break on your med costs with the new insurance. United has taken good care of me. I'm 47 so my plan is not a Medicare plan.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I have an AARP/United Health Care Part D Rx plan and pay $12/90 days. Seems very reasonable. I've been on anastrozole for 5-1/2 months and doing very well. No new aches and pains nor leg cramps. I'll definitely keep in mind all the suggestions for the cramps. I think we all get them from time to time with or without medications.

HUGS!!!

• Redheaded1

The Femara is horrible.  I hurt so bad I dipped into my pain pills from my wrist surgery.  Took it last night at bedtime and woke up in the middle of the night with muscle pain......

• Mary59G

Positive Peggy, I don't think my leg cramps were from the pills at all.........I think its my body I just thought I would ask on here if anyone had any ideas. I have been doing well with the pills and my leg cramps aren't every night thank goodness

Have a good night all.........

Mary G