Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Bananas are a source of potassium and if you are low on it it can cause leg cramps.  Make sure you are well hydrated also, as you will get muscle cramps from dehydration.  I get Charlie horses in my legs and feet whenever I try to go off my Trazadone-- an antidepressant I have taken for years to help me sleep...

I like the flavored prunes---look for the SunSweet brand ones with lemon essence or orange essence.

I liked them so well one day I forgot what they can do to you and ate almost he whole bag while reading a good book....I decided it was time to re-paper and paint the bathroom when it was over....LOL.....

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Red, have to laugh at you but I have had leg cramps in the past although not lately, it maybe they were caused by the AL as I am off it now.  I did all you mentioned, tonic, bananas till I thought I would turn into a monkey!  stretching before bed seemed to help also

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Red, you are funny! Yes, I forgot about the prunes being a good source of potassium as well. I must look for the flavored ones.  I'm buying the Sunsweets but haven't seen those with the lemon/orange essence.  You just reminded me I need to choke down a couple more SickTired.  Why, oh why, can't margaritas be loaded with potassium, fiber, and antioxidants?  It would make things so much easier.

• proudtospin

don't margaritas have Vit C?  I am sure the lime juice will prevent rickets too~~important nuitrition

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I'm sure Margaritas have to be good for you. Just like red wine is! No way could it be bad!

• proudtospin

not to mention my spirits are always up~~when having a margarita!

geez, I just made a choice today to not drive a pal to her doc appts.....she is a 2time BC survivor who still smokes....and when I had her in my car last week, my asthma kicked in just from the fumes off of her clothing and hair, she did not actually smoke while in my car.  I drove her to the surgical oncologist who confirmed she had lung cancer and adamately said she needed to stop smoking at once.

been mulling over this for some time as I thought I should drive her but she has other pals and money to hire a driver and I can not get sick from her while she continues to smoke.  The nurses at my cancer center last week thought  my pal was a nut case. 

Tell me what you think?  I want those docs to be available for folks who will follow the docs orders~~

am I heartless as I would end up sick if I drive her!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, you have to look out for yourself. You cannot risk causing an asthma attack by driving your pal around. Sorry to say you also cannot force her to change her behavior. That is her decision. She is entitled to medical care even if she doesn't abide by her doctor's advice. You can only do what is right for you.

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Thanks for all the advice and laughs on leg cramping. I love you gals!

I'll pick up some prunes tomorrow.....although I do hate them but I hate the leg cramps worse so......here we go!

• proudtospin

Peggy, thanks for your answer and opinion.  My pal is 77 and think she has some dementia as well as lung cancer.  Thinking her PET will show more than the spot on the lung, her surgeon said he expected it to light up, we all know what that means

it is sad, I had not seen or heard from her in 30 years when she called me the other week so it is very strange? 

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, that is rather strange after 30 years. Maybe you can be phone friends. It is distressing. HUGS!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

I would tell her WHY you can't drive her, while you're at it. Good Grief! But of course it is completely dreadful, they are so addicted that they are choosing an early death over quitting. One of DH's BIL's was dying of COPD, on oxygen, and STILL smoked. I visited him exactly ONCE. I didn't want to accompany him to the pearly gates...he could have blown up his house and everyone else in it. Pretty sad.

• proudtospin

hmmm, phone pals I can do, thanks for the thought.  She contacted  me through a mutual pal who seemed to think since I was retired, I had time to drive her around.  Honestly, I find it very upsetting to go to cancer docs  any more than I need to , but phone I can do

• pontiacpeggy

Then that's what I'd do, IF you want to, Iris. Or email. I don't blame you for not wanting to be going to cancer docs if you don't have to. That mutual pal should realize that being retired doesn't equate to being available.

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285

Ruth, I went back and read the drunken raisins post. It says use golden sulfered raisins. The raisins I got from whole foods are golden, but it says unsulfered on the package. So, mine might not work as well, or not work at all:( Geeez

Iris, don't feel guilty.

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Mary59G,

I started taking a supplement for joint pain that also had magnesium . I've not had leg cramps since. Before I'd always blamed them on not enough calcium or potassium. My research supported that low magnesium could case leg cramps too

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Thanks Doxie I will look for that, I really don't like prunes or bananas......lol

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

are you the only other person she knows who has had a cancer journey?  Could be she is reaching out to the only person who may have some clue of what she is going thru..... Lord knows none of my friends had been down this path and the only ones who got it was the ones I met here!

I would not want to drive her either if it made your asthma flare and I would tell her that is what happened, point out that she didn't smoke, but that the build up on her clothes was all it took as you are that sensitive.  Maybe she will get it then!

When you said the surgeon expected something to light up I wasn't sure if you meant the scan or she would be lighting up on the table.......

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I had wicked leg cramps on any AI & discovered that I was low on sodium. I had been eating no processed foods & I've never cooked with salt. Apparently my electrolytes were all out of whack. Since I've started using some salt in things the leg & foot cramps are gone. GG

• shycat
    shycat Member Posts: 45

Just saw my MO this morning for a six-month checkup. He was concerned about the joint pain/stiffness even though I said I could tolerate it for the benefits.  He said Aromasin has the same benefits but, for at least some people, it reportedly causes fewer joint issues, so he wants me to try it.  I will be switching tonight and will report back as soon as I notice any improvement (or not).

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

BTW if anyone wants to download a pdf of
    Ruth's Drunken Raisin's recipe
    I posted it here. This will print out on 8.5"x11". You can fold in half if you like: linky

• meljo614

Saw my MO today. He wants me to see a cardiologist.  What the heck?!  I told him I've had some heart palpitations every day around the same time and was assuming it was the medication.  Also had a weird episode yesterday when I got off the elliptical machine--really hard pounding fast heartbeat (not normal for me).  MO doens't think it is related to the medication.  I think it has to be.  I'm 47 and physically fit.  I don't know why I would suddenly have a heart problem.  The palpatations could be anxiety but the incident yesterday was strange and scared me.  After my heart slowed down though, I got on the treadmill and ran three miles and felt fine.  Hmmm... 

I am staying on the Anastrozole for now.  MO claims that if I don't have any pain yet, then I won't.  I know some of you are rolling your eyes.  I guess I will wait and see. 

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Did you do adrimycin? That can cause heart issues.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Spookiesmom Herceptin can cause heart issues too. I'm sure meljo614 knows this.

• meljo614

Spookie and lago, I haven't been on either of those medications.  I did not do chemo.  I've had anxiety-related heart palpitations in the past but this seems to be occuring every day around the same time which seems odd to me.  I made the appointment with the cardiologist but hoping this will just pass as my body adjusts to the meds.  They wanted me to come in the day before we leave for Mexico but I scheduled for after we get back in case they want me to carry a dang holter monitor around for a week.  Good grief...

• Cee67
    Cee67 Member Posts: 43

Meljo....ladies here will think I'm a broken record cos I tell the story to whomever will listen, but I couldn't move my hands on Arimidex. They did not hurt. It was like the fingers were very swollen and thus unbendable. No pain though (not in my hands, anyway - other places).

How long have you been on it? My SE's happened within 2 days and it's now being speculated I have an allergy to it, not a mere sensitivity. My hands were so bad I couldn't move them at all - hubbs had to do everything for me.

• Cee67

Meljo I am your age exactly (though likely not as fit :/ ) and I have PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) - a fancy way of saying my heart skips beats. I had a complete cardiological workup a few years back and there's nothing wrong with my heart and now MD says that as my estrogen drops for my peri that it can mess with the rhythm of the heart. Dang estrogen controls everything! My memory is shot, heart is funky, joints are achy...and I'm supposed to start Lupron to finish off that estrogen altogether. Not looking forward to this...

• pontiacpeggy

Anyone can be allergic to anything. Crap that you're allergic to Arimidex. Are you trying another AI, Cee?

• Cee67

Peggy, I am in transition from one oncologist to another - going from City of Hope to UCLA to hopefully get better answers. I don't know what they'll suggest yet, only that Lupron will likely be part of whatever they do because I still have a wee bit of my cycle left and I don't want Tamoxifen.

So, I'm in wait and see mode now. My former onc at CoH says AI's are "all the same" and that I may not be able to take ANY of them :(:(:(. It's why I'm moving b/c I'm not sure I'm ready to believe such a final DX.

• pontiacpeggy

Cee, glad you are going to another facility. My impression of UCLA is that it is a superb facility. I hope they are able to give you the answers and solutions you need. I understood that AIs are similar but not the same. That Aromasin is different from the others. I wouldn't accept that Dx either. Keep us posted! HUGS!!!!

• Cee67

Thanks Peggy (((Hugz))) I will let you know how I go....when I go there LOL! xx