Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

well said Ruth----I can't imagine a doctor getting concerned that his patients SE were diminished......

Spookie, I would sorta have the same problem, my doctor is Indian as well; however, she left India for her education and  isn't practicing medicine in her native land, , so maybe she gets it.......LOL

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

I see your point, Ruth. I was thinking of my response to the AI, as I already had osteopenia and was a bit estrogen-deprived.

It's my understanding the AI's zap any estrogen our bodies convert/make.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Bottom line..........take the pill, no matter which one, no matter waht Mfg.......just take it..............it you "sail through"., consider yourself very, very, lucky.

If you don't and it gets unbearable........you have a choice to make..........Quality of life, or quantity of life....and then again..............You may never see cancer again if you choose to stop......

When I was first diagnosed, sitting in the room with my BS, he put his arm on my shoulder and said "yes you do have breast cancer.......I truly belive this tumor is malignant, but let me say this.........One day you will die, but I feel I can reassure you it will not be from cancer"

So we will see..................

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I think I like your doc, without him we all would not have you to enjoy!

• duckyb1

Proud.......he was by far the most compassionate man in any profession that I have ever meet.......when he talked to you about something that ws troubleing you......he would look you right in the eye, hold your hand, and anser anything you asked.

He retired this past November and his past and present patients were asked to come to a gathering for him...........he was so overwhelmed and so humbled he shed tears at the response of so many...........

When I heard he was retiring I said to him on my next visit.........You can't retire........I need you.......he said to me........I got someone better then me for you.I said that could never happen.he said it alread has..........

He picked his replacement.........a woman.........from Fox Chase Cancer Center........but no one can ever replace him........

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297

hi ladies,

I read your posts and yes, I'm one of those experiencing the joint and bone issues. I also have insomnia, but I've solved that by taking the Arimedex as soon as I get up....might not work for all.

My new question...I have not had a UTI in over 50 years...I have started having symptoms of cystitis . Somewhere I read that This is another side effect of the Arimidex because of the depletion of hormones. Any one else here have this problem?

Thanks...Ellen

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

BlessedTeacher37, I've always taken my Arimidex in the morning because some of the ladies mentioned the insomnia issue. So that hasn't been a problem. That's a bummer about the UTI. Have you seen your PCP about it? I think I would hold off blaming the Arimidex until you get a definitive answer on what you have. It could be Arimidex or it could be something else. Sorry you're have joint and bone issues.

HUGS!!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I'm diabetic, when I don't pay attention, I get them. Have for many years before bc. Still get them on the pill. May want to talk to your pcp about possible diabetes.

• proudtospin

I get tons of UTIs, my PCP years ago had me see a Urologist as she just could not figure out why. My urologist says my issue is chronic and well, I just know when one is starting and yell the Urologist for a pee test and an antibiotic.  She says some folks just are susceptible to them

mine has nothing to do with the AL

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

I still have not received a call back from my MO - until I do, I will continue this 1/4 dose. I hope she tries something different.

My body pain subsided once I reduced from 1/2 to 1/4 but what's wrong with my feet? (I swear, I don't make this up.) I just came in from working in the yard, and not only do they hurt a bit but they burn...especially the toes?????

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

That sounds like perferial neuropathy. Nerve damage. Mention it to pcp, try to figure out why. You could try to help it with ALA, alpha lipoid acid, and if it's bothersome, neurontin can help the pain.

I started it from the diabetes, then Taxotere made it a LOT worse. Did you do chemo?

• duckyb1

Jilly......had burning and pain in my feet......it stopped once I wen toff the Letrozole, and the Arimidex when I tried it, it too causedthe same problem...

UTI's are a SE of all the Aromatase inhibitors........decreasing estrgen production can cause urinary tract infections..........it is the loss of estrogen that does it............women who go through menopause can hae the same problem, but yes............it is a SE of the AI.............

Still have it checked out........no fun...thank God I didn't get that one......guess I should be grateful for small favors........that an hot flashes......never had those either...........however I did dry up like a 6 week old prune.....and guess what else...........

Remember I told you I was on other threads here......I have great friends, and we always keep in touch.......want to know another SE we also got and didn't realize it till someone mentioned it.

We all had the pigmentation in our skin especailly the lighter skinned women........well one thing we all noticed........our spots.....(LOL they call them liver spots)........became much worse, more pronounced, and we were not in the sun.....go in the sun, you look like a leopard........

I am not talking a couple I am talking "covered with them"........arms legs, face, hands, and I asked my Derm if that was possible......she said "absolutely"................just another gift that keeps on giving .......thanks AI's...........now I'm hoping they go away............Derm say's "don't think so".....we shall see.......

• pontiacpeggy

Hi All. This information just popped up on my Facebook feed from BreastCancer.org. Considering the discussions recently on what to do about the pain AIs can cause, I thought it might be a worthwhile discussion point with your MO. Fish Oil-AIs-JointPain Make sure to read the caveats at the end of the article if you are considering taking fish oil. Maybe this will help someone.

HUGS

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

Regarding UTIs, I used to get them OFTEN. I started taking a daily cranberry pill and haven't had one since (it's been several years). I know that won't work for everyone, but it might be worth a try; cheap and easy!

• proudtospin

hmm, interesting.  I tried the fish oil thing a while back to help with my nasty cholesterol numbers but the tummy did not like it so maybe I need the placebo?

• pontiacpeggy

Interesting that soy and corn oils were used in the placebo. Most of us avoid soy. Maybe it's just OIL that is helpful. But I thought the info was very intriguing.

• Kathy044
    Kathy044 Member Posts: 94
    Ah is that the study that compared fish oil to a placebo? Joint pain in both groups improved over time. sort of reminded me of the hot flash remedy studies I used to read years ago. BTW I didn't need to go to Facebook to find this, BCO has the research information right here.
  • jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

That's interesting. I've been taking fish oil (somewhat sporadically at times) for heart health since way before dx. I found a type that doesn't taste nasty or upset my stomach so I've been sticking with it more lately. Don't know that it's helped with the joint pain any, though.

• duckyb1

Been taking Krill Oil for years.........never had joint pain.....when I began Krill oil, I had no joint pain....started Letrozole for the BC, got joint pain...............kept taking krill oil , still do......did nothing for joint pain...................

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

thanks strong enough and aurora. I keep going back and forth on the whole issue because I am not depressed all the time but can't seem to handle the bad events as well. I thought if I could help that and eliminate hot flashes both that it might be worth it but based on that trial I may go without and cope with my usual methods.

Ellen I have had a lot of trouble with UTIs. Try replens a few times a week and lube.

I have heard that hot flashes are good specific to tamoxifen and that it means it's working. I don't know if that applies to AIs and/ Or other side effects.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

With UTIs; when I get sweaty (exercise, gardening etc), I need to take a shower right away & not sit around with my wet clothes on.......or oh, oh......UTI.

• pontiacpeggy

I truly have never had an UTI. My trick? I drink gallons of iced tea (decaf these days) and I pee just as much - nothing has a chance to stay in my bladder, it just speeds right through, barely stopping to say "hi." Nerdy

• ruthbru

Yes, the more fluids the better....for many reasons!

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297

Thanks, ladies for your input on UTIs....I have an appt with my PCP tomorrow to investigate.

Have a wonderful, SE-free day tomorrow...hey, we can always hope!

Ellen

• pontiacpeggy

My mother said I never saw a bathroom that I could bypass!

• ruthbru

You and me both! Happy

• pontiacpeggy

Ruth ThumbsUp

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 932

A friend once said when she was in the Navy they told them "never skip a bathroom, never miss a meal. You don't know where the next ones will be!" I subscribe to that too. And also drink tons of iced tea so I also have never had a UTI.

• pontiacpeggy

Reader425, My son and daughter-in-law (both were in the Navy) never told me that one but that's pretty darned close to my philosophy! Iced tea is good. Since I don't put anything in it, also zero calories :)

HUGS!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 932

Peggy, same here. Lately I've been enjoying Southern breeze sweet tea with Splenda. A treat since I'm cutting back on everything else!

Hugs back!