Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Reader, I never have gotten the taste for sweetened tea or coffee. Just can't do it. But you enjoy the lovely weather and tea (Splenda is good, I hear).

HUGS!

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

I had problems with UTI's for YEARS. Would always rely on Bactrim...until many years later when I suddenly became allergic to it. So on to plan B, which works very well...clean equipment! Always have clean equipment (both parties) prior to sex...no more UTI's, since most UTI's are caused by E Coli.

Since bc diagnosis, I've also added a cranberry tablet to my regimen, for extra assurance...we'll see!

• pontiacpeggy

Jilly59, Very good for figuring out Plan B! Sometimes it is really difficult to nail down the cause. Glad it's working for you!

HUGS!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

I had only 1 UTI in my entire life..........at the time my OB/GYN told me that your husband can give you the infection......now follow my story....this is what he said and it makes perfect sense....blew my mind.

He said, when my husband uses the bathroom in work, or any other place......their "junk" hands in the toilet if they are sitting, and like us some men have to, and some do it just to be comfortable because it works for them, like it works for us............ok, still with me???????

So their junk is hanging in the toilet...and sometimes touching places inside.....toilet seat, etc........if the man before them had any contact with a woman (wife or other) and she had a UTI, she can transfer the germ to her husbands junk ......now her hubby sits on the toilet and he transfers the germ to the toilet seat......you husband then uses the same toilet the guy used...........your husbands junk touches the same spot the other guys touched.........BINGO...........it transfers to "your man's junk", and then it can be transferred to you if you have sex, and he is a person who "showers in the morning", and you have sex that evening.

Now that may sound confusing but it is true.....think about it.....it makes perfect sense.......according to my OB/GYN.....it is a very contagious germ.........spread easily.......

Hope I didn't send you all crazy with this comment, .............so even thoughmany women can get this for many reasons this is probably one way most would not even think of.

• farmerjo

Ducky...basically, any sweaty butt spreads the e coli around, and certainly poor hygiene, too.

Clean equipment!

• florida2015
    florida2015 Member Posts: 46

I was told by RO that being on Rads did not cause my UTI, however, I secretly feel it did.

Anyway have been on Cipro for a few days and it finally is working. I am on my last boost tomorrow. And then have a prescription for Anostrozale = but after reading things may ask for Armidex - Teva brand. Still scared to go on. I have never had joint pains, am a young 59 and exercise a lot. Nervous about getting hot flashes, I went on a low does of HRT to get rid of those and ironically feel that is what caused me to get cancer.

I was told if the Anostrozale does not work for me, that she would put me on Tamoxifen.

I hope I can tolerate the drug without problems. I know some of you haven't had any issues.

• pontiacpeggy

Florida, I wouldn't anticipate any problems with the anastrozole. It's like anything else you take. Do you anticipate bleeding if you take aspirin? Being allergic to cipro when you take it? No, you just take it and assume the drug will do its job so you can get on with your life! Please please please keep in mind that many women take it with no problems. I'm certainly not minimizing the SEs that women posting here have. They are real. But many who have no SEs do NOT post since they aren't looking for help in solving their SEs. So think positive! BTW Arimidex is the actual brand name, many of us use Anastrozole (the generic) made by Teva - just so you're straight as to what's what (it does get confusing). Probably you will have hot flashes. Whether they will be more annoying than the ones you had previously is hard to say. Take a deep, calming breath and remember your goal is the make sure the cancer doesn't come back. That's why we do all this. Again, think positive!

HUGS!!!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Hey Florida2015, where in the humid state are you? I'm near Clearwater.

• florida2015
    florida2015 Member Posts: 46

spookie

I want to move back to florida that is why I have that as my user name! I live on Long Island and have family in boca

I am looking to rent or buy a place in delray beach or anywhere in south florida I can live in a nice oceanfront comdo a few months a year

• spookiesmom

Hmmmmm, Long Island is a bit far for a meet up. LOL!!!!

• spookiesmom

But there's always thisimage

• pontiacpeggy

HAHAHA!! A bit geographically impairedNerdy

• spookiesmom

how do these people get out of school?

• pontiacpeggy

I've no clue. It is funny until you realize that those idiots have been released out into the world and we have to deal with them.

• spookiesmom

and some become docs!!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Twisting the knife a bit, Spookie??

• spookiesmom

Well, you've read some of the comments about the docs?

• pontiacpeggy

LOL. Of course I have. I was being really sarcastic. Sorry that didn't come across.

• spookiesmom

wasn't sure!!!!

• pontiacpeggy

That's fine. I was just about to edit my post when you posted. I'm not a bit insulted, upset or anything else. My bad!!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 932

I'll chime in that I am, so far, another one on Arimadex (3 months) with no problems.

Best wishes to you Florida!

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Reader! Positive reports are good to hear!

HUGS!!

• farmerjo

Finally rec'd a call back from MO's office yesterday. She is giving me letrozole, and to start at 1/4 dose.

She did tell me that the worse your arthritis is, the worse the SE of pain. I knew that, I experienced it. Our bones depend on estrogen, so to me it's a no brainer if you have arthritis and rob your body of every estrogen molecule, you will have worsening pain - especially if you have osteopenia or osteoporosis.

She said they tend to give letrozole to older folks simply for that reason. We'll see.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Peg,

I picked up my Teva arimidex yesterday just waiting for baseline results on my hormone tests to start. I feel like I'm about to stick a loaded gun in my mouth but you all have made me feel better with some reassuring stories

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog.....Remember: THINK POSITIVE!!! Why would you anticipate problems? The glass is HALF FULL!!!

HUGS!!!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Sul..................LMAO...............I could not have said it better..................girlfriend you have to at least try.............but that comment was priceless.....................LOL..........

I did 3 1/2 years..............it was not easy........but I did what I had to do............many times I wanted to quit, but I didn't.....................fear made me stay with it.............thank God for fear because that is what got me to 3 1/2 yearss..................sorry 3 1/2 plus 3 weeks............that was the Arimidex.......

Good luck, and hang in there......

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

OK, I have been reading posts on this thread for the past few days mainly out of interest after MarieK posted something about Indian made Anastrozole on our British Columbia thread. She gave me a few links and this was one of them. I am in year 3 of "Taro-Anastrozole" and plan to ask my MO about the Indian controversy if I can call it that, when I see her at the end of June.

Hi to those of you I recognize from past threads over the years. Ruthbru, I am not on the exercise thread anymore but am still exercising lots. Hi to Kathy044! And hi to all of you who I have known over the years too who are on this thread.

I scrolled back to recognize the active 59 year old who posted recently but could not find it. I am with you in terms of being older but still exercising lots~~led 2 treks to Nepal in the past year but have to admit that I had been doing that pre BC so it was not so tough to get back out there albeit slower.

PontiacPegg, I agree with you on the fact that often people do not post the positives but can get caught up in negatives. As you said, this is not to say that many women experience S/E that can be very severe. But I do want to say that for the most part I have found Anastrozole manageable. I had a bone density test pre Anastrozole and was osteopenic in my right hip and will be interested to see how that is when I have the next one in Feb. 2016. But so far so good. I think the worst S/E for me is how dry everything is~~skin, eyes, unmentionable parts etc. but I am willing to put up with that for now anyway. My curly hair has gone almost straight and is thinner and that pisses me off but now I have it really short so it does not bug me as much and of course it is only cosmetic.

I gather than many of us will be on it for 10 years not the 5 that I was told at the beginning but I guess time will tell as I have not had that conversation with my MO.

So for those starting out on Anastrozole, try not to look for S/E and stay as active as you can~~besides hiking, cycling (seasonal and few hills for me) I think yoga is one of the best things I do for myself. I have cording so yoga stretching helps that and I know swimming would be good to but it is not something I do often~~may add it soon though.

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, MarianElizabeth for the encouraging words. There are too few of us saying that Arimidex is DOABLE and in fact not a problem. It is a great tool in our arsenal to prevent BC from returning. You sound like you are doing fantastic! What a thrill to trek in Nepal. Way to go!!

HUGS!!!

• farmerjo

Yikes. Just realized that since I'm starting letrozole, I will be in the wrong thread. Nope. Too much fun here. :)

• pontiacpeggy

Well,I'm sure not going to kick you out, Jilly!! I like having you here! You COULD be on BOTH threads! I suspect there's a lot of overlap with information on both. By the way, YOU do NOT qualify as "older folks" - that's me at soon-to-be-70 and I'm on Arimidex.

HUGS!!!!