Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

Well, I could not find a thread for letrozole...so I'm back. Thanks, Peggy! Can't image a thread without you.

So, are anastrozole and letrozole very similar?

• farmerjo

I found it, Peg - under 'Femara', but think I'll stay just the same. Happy

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Why thank you for the nice compliment, Jilly. Now my evening is all warm and fuzzy (while the weather really sucks). There's no requirement that you be on Arimidex to be here! So just stay!

HUGS!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Hi MarianElizabeth! Glad you are doing well! I've added yoga & Zumba, both which I LOVE, to my exercise routine. I am 62, and I totally believe that it is exercise that keeps you young(ish)! 

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657

I just finished being on arimidex for 10 years and am concerned

about the tumors in my chest and thyroid, With Medicare they have

cut back on a lot. I have to pay for thing I never had to before like

my Cpap and other thing. Has anyone seen any change, Others

have told me I should stay on it cause I have had 4 cancers. Please

what would you do,  My breast cancer was stage 3. Thanks God bless

You, Debbie

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56

Good Morning ladies. I am new to this thread. I am also on arimidex, started it on April 1st of this year. I am having the worst shoulders, hips back and joint pain. I was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my left shoulder. I barely sleep because the pain is so bad. My onc gave me Percocet so I take one 5mg at bedtime and usually one during the day along with 800 mg's of motrin and it barely takes the edge of. I can hardly function because of the constant pain and lack of quality sleep. I would love to read this entire thread to see what others have done to lessen the pains but there's way to many pages to go thru lol. Any advice ??

• farmerjo

Ganzgirl - call your oncologist...your quality of life should not have to suffer THAT much. Ask if you can try another AI. I think many of us have to try a few until we find one that's manageable. No one should have to take narcotics due to AI side effects!!!

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 710

Dear all, I've been on arimidex since Jan 14, and thought I could power through all the joint aches, new shoulder pain, hip aches for days, mood swings/depression, and weight gain no matter what I do. I can't. Finally admitted such to myself and will switch to femara. It's that or quitting the drug altogether, and I'm not ready to do that. Although I know some do, and when I began the drug I couldn't believe it, but I've certainly changed my perspective since Jan 2014.

But I feel like I'm running a marathon with no finish line. When I began this journey in 2011 current supported research said at least 5 years on anti-hormonals. Two years later my onc. is telling me 10 years. Now I find out that perhaps some of us may need to remain on it all our lives, and that's the non-finish line that I can't wrap my mind around.

I'm also ditching the 37.5 mg effexor since it 1) seems to be diminishing in effectiveness for hot flashes and the little bit of mood elevator that it used to give me and 2) between it and the arimidex, isn't helping my ability to stop gaining and start losing. I'm headed for wellbutrin, another SNRI that although has not been used specifically for hot flashes, seems to not affect weight at all. I hope it alleviates the flashes as well. I don't mind a few, but I don't need extras.

I've tried to switch brands of arimidex, and the pharmacies won't even hear of it in my city. So that's an out.

Claire in AZ

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Maybe try PT and/or yoga, Ganzgirl? After about nine months on arimidex, my hip pain was so bad my onc ordered a bone scan, which showed (painless) arthritis practically everywhere except my hips. Both he and my primary suggested PT, which pretty much took care of the issue, which turned out to be bursitis. I've had to continue with the prescribed hip and leg stretches and strengthening exercises, sometimes more industriously than others. Recently, I was back at PT for achilles tendon and hamstring issues, and was happy to find my hips also benefited. About a month ago I started yoga. Not sure if all classes are alike, but mine seems to be heavy on stretches and strength (isometrics), and I feel even better. Right now, my pain/discomfort is almost always zero.

It does seem a bit extreme, with nearly four years to go, that you need percoset to sleep. Perhaps a switch to another AI? I tried exemestane for a while. Pain was less, but other side effects sent me right back to arimidex.

I see that, like me, you started this drug on April Fool's Day. I don't know about you, but I thought then, and continue to think now, that it was a very appropriate time to enter into this particular labyrinth.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

PT and yoga are great suggestions. I'd also suggest seeing an ortho doc. Could be something other than the AI. But don't beat yourself up, you tried!!!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Ganz......Claire.........I started with Femara.....cost made me go to Letrozole...........at first no SE's........3 months they began.........by 3 year 3 months I had had enough.........my MO gave me a vacation......1 month off.......felt fantastic.......stayed off for 2 more months......

Decided to try Arimidex........on it for 3 days, and all the pain came back..........stayed on it for 3 weeks, and could not do it anymore..............went off it, and decided enough is enough............did 3 1/2 years total, and thought......what good is taking a pill to fight recurrence when you give up your whole quality of life...........

I tried, belonged to the Y, and still do.........tried everything to help............could not do much exercise cause the pain got worse..........my SIL is a Yoga Instructor.....he tried to help.......that did nothing but cause more aches and pains, and could not do 1/4 of what others could do............

Again........my attitude was so positive, I was to the point of annoying people......happy........always thinking positive, wanting to do anything it took to never have a recurrence..................being scared to death made me do everything I was told to do........it made me try harder, to take the pain with a happy face.....

I have 6 fabulous children, 18 adorable grandchildren........5 great grandchildren, and one due in July............is that not reason to want to live.................but enough was enough............I did everything with my family........but after 3 months of taking the AI......it all began......trigger fingers......back pain, shoulder,, leg, thigh pain...........dizzy, horrible balance to the point of being worried about a fall.........then after 3 1/2 years Neuropathy if my feet.............and did I mention thinning hair, which I didn't care about..............

So to anyone who has not experienced any of this......God Bless you, and I hope ;;you never do........some of us were not that lucky............and may I say.............I found Arimidex worse, musch worse then Femara, or Letrozole......and they were pretty bad..................I am still having SE's from Arimidex even though I stopped it over a month ago................Letrozole was kinder......my SE's started going away after 3 days...............I am sorry I tried the Arimidex......even only 3 weeks of it, and I still have some SE's that have not gone away......

BUT YOU MUST AT LEAST GIVE IT A TRY............I would try letrozole first, and ask for the Teva Manufacturer........

I realize what I have just said may anger some, but I have to be as honest with my opinions about the AI result for my body, as the ladies here who are saying how they had no problems, or few problems...............that is what we are here for.....to tell our story.............and after 5 years on the threads I have found most of the ladies appreciate the honesty........sorry if I have offended anyone........

Just hoping my SE's that remain, go away.........I want my QOL back, no matter how long God allows me to enjoy it.......

• farmerjo

Picked-up the letrozole rx today (SunPH), and looked it up on Wikipedia. It says that although letrozole decreases the chance of recurrence, the prognosis is the same. Huh?

Anastrozole on Wikipedia does not say that.

• duckyb1

jill.....take it with confidence.......my MO said she thought it was the better of the 2.............I found letrozole as hard as it was easier then Aimidex.....

You can go to a place to compare them.......google it.......I just know what she said, and then again.....affter working for bit pharma....I know Drs. ;have their favorite Reps......and that can influence their choice too........remembeer they are also human.........LOL.........

JUST DO IT...............don't pass up the opportunity.........I hope you do super duper on it...hugs

• farmerjo

Thanks, Ducky! You're the best. Winking

• duckyb1

Jilly, one of my daughters was born in 1959.......your a toddler Sweetie compared to me.

One of the gils on another thread asked me to be her adoptive mother.......she lost hers and said I remind her so much of her Mom............. I told her it would be my pleasure..........

She is one of the sweethest ladies I have ever met........and we became very close........she is from California...I from Pa..........so we will probably never meet.....but I feel like I have known her all my lifee.

By the way Jilly.......I am 80 just 3 weeks ago..........I am the "old lady" of the website I think.........at least of all the threads I visit........LOL.............

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Ducky, my 93 year old aunt was diagnosed at around 85. She has taken either Arimidex or tamoxifen and nothing else. They switch her up. I chuckle as I complained about the joint pain and her comment was that she had so much achiness she didn't know what was joint pain and what wasnt. I guess at 93, if I am mentally with it and can tool around with my walker for short distances, I'll behappy.

I tried effexor for hot flashes. Worked for three months then nothing, so stopped. I will say that when my ONC prescribed Cymbalta for joint pain that was huge. I don't have much pain now. I have had a ton of arthritis attacks which a year ago I ha one.there has to be a correlation. My hot flashes share far better on arimidex than they were on tamoxifen so not complaining there .

Had a prolia shot about ten days ago. Hips are achy but slowly going away

• farmerjo

Well Ducky, you certainly sound like one of us young'uns. ;)

So I hear 1959 was a very good year! Sure wish I grew-up in the fifties...had to be SO much fun!

• pontiacpeggy

It WAS fun, Jilly. I turn 70 in July. A whole different world than now.

HUGS!

• duckyb1

It was a blast........we had the best especially the music...........and oh the dances.......how I loved to dance......that was all I ever did......all 99lbs of me........Tues, Fri, Sat, and Sunday..........you jitterbug that often, that many times a week, you earned your 99 lbs......

I also danced on American Bandstand till I graduated high school.........and that was every day after school..........yes the 50's was fun......
  • duckyb1

imageThis is me in the 50's

• pontiacpeggy

How pretty you were in that photo, Ducky. Bet you still are pretty!

• ruthbru

Ducky, did you dance on the actual TV show American Bandstand with Dick Clark??????

• pontiacpeggy

I'll second Ruth's question: You were really ON Bandstand? OMG. I'm fainting. (BTW, I can't dance worth a damn) :)

• duckyb1

Yes, first with Bob Horn, and then he got canned and Dick Clark took over...........

And Peggy..........I only wish I looked 1/4 that good today..............LOL

• pontiacpeggy

Wow! We know a celebrity!!Nerdy

• duckyb1

Here is a picture....me and my grandson.....it was his prom....this is now.....time is not kind....image

• duckyb1

This is me with 17 of the 18image

• ruthbru

Fantastic pictures!!

Now, tell us about Dick Clark & what singers/groups did you get to meet? (and send a picture to if you have one)

• duckyb1

Back then camera's were not allowed in the studio, so none that I took..or anyone else......only thing that would be around would be shots taken of the show itself...............will see if I can find anything from the bandstand archives

• pontiacpeggy

Love the photos. You still look pretty. And very handsome grandson!

Did you get to interact with Dick Clark at all? Do you have favorite moments?