Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

mysunshine48 remember this thread is mostly about those who are having issues. Very few come here and say they are having no problems, just a few that want to support. Most have gone on with their life. I was on Anastrozole for 3 years before I switched to Exemestane. It was a combo of sleep issues, back pain and emotional issues that became regular the last few months.

I'm doing much better on Exemestane although the emotional issues were different and had to be addressed. It's been over 1 year on Exemestane. Like Ruth said…try it. You won't know if you will have issues unless you try. You can always quit. The side effects from cancer returning is worse… and they will put you on the drug anyway if you get mets.

BTW I was more scared of AIs than chemo too.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

mysunshine, add my name to the list of people doing OK on arimidex. I've been on it for 8 months. At first I did have the stiff knee and hand joints, people told me to stay active, and a few weeks later it dawned on me that I was moving normally again without pain. So even if you do develop some initial symptoms don't throw in the towel right away, it's possible for the aches to improve.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

I am not negative about the AIs. Just posting photos of my hands and talking about my stiffness to confirm with others that this is a possibility and I'm not being a wimp My DH didn't understand why I'm ok walking the dog one day and the next day my feet hurt and I'm handing him the leash He didn't get it that when we go out to eat I waltz into the restaurant but he's already at the cash register and I'm still trying to get out of the booth.

It's reassuting that some people feel better in time. I feel blessed that we have a big gun to try to keep the BC away My Dad died of bone mets 3 months ago and that's a lot worse than knobby fingers and wooden feet.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

hi, just refilled script so know I've been on anastrozole 90 days. So far so good. No SE I didn't already have from surgery, chemo or tamox.  Yes, more stiff & sore, but that I chalk up to growing older which is not such a bad thing. ♥

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

Sunshine, there's no doubt these drugs pose a challenge for some women to get through because the statistics of women dropping out are somewhat high.  But as we always say, you don't know what you'll experience until you take it.  I don't think any of these side effects are permanent, so just try it and see how you do.  I would say the side effects for me are somewhat of an annoyance, but no where near as bad as chemo!!!!!!!!!!! 

Kyliet, I am also on zoladex and AI, but in my case because I recurred on tamoxifen alone.  I hate this forced menopause but in my case I will be in menopause soon anyway.  How's it going for you?

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Just for the record yes I am really stiff and sore but I will not stop taking the Anastrozole and yes it may be from getting old also and not moving like I was before breast cancer and the mastectomy. This is a life saving pill, I was just trying and asking if anyone is taking anything else for this SE?

Bless all that have the aches and pains.

Mary

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

You might want to try my aunt's Raisins & Gin Recipe.....it helps some people with arthritis-like symptoms. I will repost it if you want me to.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Yes, please repost

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587

Sounds yum Ruthbru.

Twohobbies, I have found the zoladex ok. Not thrilled with early menopause but believe it is worth it for me.

• ruthbru

My aunt & mom used this 'recipe' with great success. I have my DH on them now for his knees & he says it has helped. It takes awhile, like maybe even a couple months, to notice the difference.

'Drunken Raisins'-a natural arthritis remedy

To prepare gin-soaked raisin, first empty one box of dried white raisin in a shallow container. Only white or golden raisin should be used for this recipe. Then pour enough gin into the container to cover the raisins.

Cover the container ( but not with plastic, a kitchen towel is good) and keep it covered for 7 – 10 days on the to allow the raisin to steep in the gin (sitting out, not in fridge).

Allow all the gin to evaporate to leave gin-soaked raisins in the container. These raisins keep well when refrigerated. The popular advice is to take nine of these "drunken raisins" every day. Most users report improvements in arthritis symptoms between 1 – 8 weeks of using this remedy.

Why it works:

1. Golden raisins- the ONLY type of raisins worthy of the recipe- require sulfur or sulfides in their processing to make them golden. Sulfur is an active ingredient in 2 effective natural arthritis supplements: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate. Golden raisins come from sultana grapes and are cultivated under the name Thompson seedless grapes in the United States.

2. Sultana grapes contain proanthocyanidins which are thought to help fight infections and reduce inflammation. Grapes also contain resveratrol, a powerful anti-oxidant that is being studied for many of it's disease fighting properties.

3. Gin is flavored with juniper berries and juniper berries contain Terpinen. Terpinen has anti inflammatory properties. The essential oil that is in juniper berries contains more than 100 compounds including myrcene (an anti oxidant), catechins (anti-oxidant), and flavanoids (anti oxidant). Test tube studies have shown that juniper berries can inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins help mediate an inflammatory response and increase the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. By inhibiting their production, a reduction in pain can occur.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

or you can download the PDF of the recipe here: linky

• mysunshine48

Thank you

• WendyWinslet
    WendyWinslet Member Posts: 6

Thank you, JANETT2014 and LAGO! I will also look into the CVS mail order system . . . .

• ClaudiaMetz
    ClaudiaMetz Member Posts: 136

I have been on Arimidex (anastrozole) for 2 years and 4 months.  My bad cholesterol is high but my good cholesterol is high.  I don't want to take medicine unless I have to.  I take a natural plant based over the counter called CholestOff.  I am to take it 20 minutes before a meal.  I am walking on the treadmill.  I have heard apple cider vinegar helps so I drink that in the morning.  I eat oatmeal and try to get in as many vegetables as I can.  I like every I have read have trouble sleeping and have tried everything.  My oncologist said I still have to take this for 2 1/2 years.  Has anyone else had their doctor tell them Armidex will make their cholesterol go up?

• ruthbru

It might, but it might not. It's not the overall number but the ratio between the good & bad that's important. I have a family history of high cholesterol and have taken niacin for years (with my doctor's okay and monitoring). If you want to try it, first check with your doctor. Don't take the no flush, it isn't as effective. I take a brand I get at Walmart called Slo-Niacin. It's slow release so you don't get the flushing regular niacin can give you.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Missing Pontiac Peggy. Has she gone on vacation?

Ruth I've got all the stuff for the raisin recipe. Just get off my duff and get 'er done. What kind of container do you use or is preferred - plastic or glass? I probably have a small Corning Ware dish that would work. And does your kitchen smell like a liquor factory while it's evaporating? Might need to time it just right if it does, between getting work done in the kitchen lol.

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

Pontiac Peggy was visiting her son in San Diego and then to Washington state this month. I saw a couple updates on Facebook. She was having a great time!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

was thinking about Peggy and glad she is out having fun, she deserves it

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Excellent news. Thanks both of you. I remembered she was going but thought maybe July.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Saw my MO today and she is allowing me 2 weeks off Anastrozole and is hoping (and believes) there will be no change. We all know I need to be on it. But she also re-referred me to the cancer agency psychiatrist I saw a few times a couple of years ago after my mx. Thinking maybe an antidepressant. Any one taken Venlafaxine (Effexor)? She says they also use it to combat hot flashes which might be a double benefit for me. Whatever the outcome I am glad that I spoke out today about how I have been feeling.

• ruthbru

luv, a Corning Ware dish would be great, I just covered mine with a towel and it didn't smell like anything (or else my kitchen always smells like a liqueur factory!). I'm glad you talked to your doctor, Marian, we have to be our own advocates. And I am very glad Peggy is off having fun!!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

hi dear friends! Trying to get home from Spokane. Have had a marvelous time visiting my son's. Thank you all for thinking of me. Hugs!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Tough week for me, hospice nurse told family it was time to come in for Lew's mom. She died early this morning, after 11 days of family taking turns sitting with her around the clock. We spent today cleaning out her nursing home room and meeting with the funeral home director. Loud thunderstorm going on at the time she died, Lew's sister says the angels were having a party to welcome her home.

• ruthbru

I am so sorry, Puffin. It is so hard when a parent dies, no matter what their age. Hugs!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

thanks for the recipe, had it already, just slightly different. No SE's that i am aware of but only been on a short time. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Claritin fir bone and joint pain? Does anyone know if this pain is similar to the neulista shot after chemo to help platelet grow faster? As for mood issues, there are plenty aids for those issues. Keep moving is all I can hear everyone say, don't worry about speed or yoga posture, just keep moving...

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Puffin,

So sorry for your loss, I'm so glad you were all there to be with her.

Peg,

Sounds like you had a great time, safe travels home

Marianeliza,

So glad you're getting a break and I keep seeing on the boards that a lot of people really find Effexor helpful

• pontiacpeggy

Puffin, I'm so sorry about your MIL, but very glad the family was able to be with her for her last days. That makes it very special for all of you and gives you closure. My thoughts are with you.

HUGS!!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Ladies, I've had a wonderful time. Just got home at 3AM and still seem to be functioning on West Coast time - not a good thing. Had the best time every with both sons and DILs. I'm so darned lucky. Can't wait to see DH in a few hours! I've missed him. Then to pick up the pets from jail :)

HUGS!

• mysunshine48

Puffin, So sorry for your loss. My sister and I sat by my mom's bedside 24/7, for 8 days, earlier this year, until she passed. Loosing parents is so difficult. Yes, we also said mom went to dance with the Angels

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Puffin, many thoughts and prayers for you and your loss, it brings back to me the time my mom passed, the feelings are still strong

Peggy, so glad you had a chance to get together with the clan! sounds like you had a good time

Me off to the dang ortho doc about my doc.  Really looking for good PT treatment now that I have had an MRI, I may be switiching docs if this one will not take this path