Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

Puffin, I send my deepest sympathies to you and your family. Losing a parent is such a difficult thing.

JerseyGirl 927, I've been using the Claritin to control the bone pain for three years now. For me it's an essential part of maintaing some QOL while on Arimidex. I had an occasion when I had to discontinue it for 2 weeks due to allergy testing and the bone pain was back within a few days. The pain (at least that pain) disappeared within a few days of resuming it. My Mo has no problems with me taking it and the allergist said it is the one antihistamine that can be taken on a long term basis.

It doesn't, though, address the joint pain and the stiffness. I still have significant mobility issues but at least the pain doesn't keep me awake at night. I don't know why it works or if it's effective for everyone but I would have a hard time staying on the AI without it.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Puffin, so sorry... Thinking of you and your family..

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Thank you all for the kinds thoughts and words. Wake and funeral will be Sunday afternoon and Monday. We'll be heading home in about an hour, then need to prepare a photo board for Lew's line of the family and finish putting together the slide show. As the genealogist in the family I've also inherited all the old photos. We've tagged the photos with the names of who's in them, so hopefully all that work will pay off in making it easier to locate the photos we want.

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25

Puffin my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Welcome Home Peggy. So glad to hear you had a good time.

Hugs to all.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

hate this getting old stuff as all our pals and family are also getting old as well

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

sorry puffin for your loss,

kmpod glad to know the Claritin worked. It helped me with the neulista shots, so far no pain but good to know it can help. Hate drugs, but I am not stupid if pain comes into play. Stay well all.

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Welcome Home Positive Peggy, we missed you!!

Puffin, my prayers are with you and your family. It is so tough, when I lost my Mom I had to do all that you are doing. It is tough but you will find the strength to handle things.........and the pictures, while I was doing my Mom's it brought me to many tears but I think more smiles than tears.

Mary

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Someone asked about cholesterol increasing on Arimidex.  Yes, mine has.  I took a month and 1/2 off and we retested, and it was normal.  Then I went back on and we will retest again in July.   During the time I was off, they had me try FEMARA and I thought I was dying after taking it four days and stopped and begged to go back on my Arimidex.  Have no serious se that I can feel, HOWEVER I HAVE TWO FINGERS on one hand and 1 on the othe that look just like the pic Choesmom posted.  It popped  up after I broke the wrist and my ortho thinks it is osteo arthritis. but I bet it is AI related.  Will ask in July.

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

claudiametz I took both anastrazole and letrozole and they both made my cholesterol levels worse even though I exercised, ate a healthy diet and lost weight. I stopped taking AIs in September and no longer have high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol! :-)

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I've been on a statin for years before bc. Haven't noticed a change since starting the AI.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

me to on the statin, no change after ending the AL but the bp was over the top during the time I was on the AL
    , dang but docs used to yell at me as if it was my fault.  But now, no more AL and the BP is nicely normal, course I did retire as well

• Redheaded1

it can up your b.p.---I had that happen periodically too before I took my last break.  So far, not since I resumed....

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

I've been on the AI for only about 5 months but so far BP staying the same. I had high cholesterol before, scheduled to get that checked soon, a little nervous.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I've been on anastrozole since October. My BP is excellent. My cholesterol ratio is off the charts good - extremely high HDL and slightly elevated LDL. Before the lab started doing the ratios, my dr put me on statins. I lasted a year and the SEs were bad for me (leg pain). They were far worse for DH - he was hospitalized from them. Statins aren't for me or him. So far no SEs at all from the anastrozole.

HUGS!!!

• Jerseygirl927

only on arimadex for 2weeks so far, but noticed my fingers are swollen, is this a possibility? Seems they are tight? Or maybe I had too much salt? Anyone else notice this? Thanks

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Peg, welcome back!!! Hope was a great vacation!!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Spookie! It was fantastic. But not long enough (the checkbook said it was :) ). I'm just glad I was able to go.

HUGS!

• Jerseygirl927

anyone have flu like symptoms? Noticed I have been getting cold in the evenings, almost every night, then after 3 hours or so, back to normal...?

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Jerseygirl927,

This may be related to having had chemo. I used to run hot, even well past menopause. I couldn't stand to be hot. After chemo I loved the warmth and even hot flashes from arimidex because I was so often cold. Even now the heat doesn't bother me like it used to.

• kmpod

Jerseygirl, Even at close to 4 years into Arimidex my internal thermostat is in no way functioning properly. It isn't a side effect of chemo as I didn't have it. After a year or so the really miserable hot flashes moderated into something a little more manageable, but I remain very intolerant of heat. I'm much more likely to want to go somewhere cool in the summer than warm in the winter. When others are bundled up to their nose I'm still in sandals.

By the way, the fat fingers can also be a SE of the Arimidex. Peripheral edema is one of the SE's listed; but, be aware there's also a possibility of lymphedema. Any mastectomy patient is at risk for it. You might want to head over to the lymphedema thread. There's a lot of great information there.

• nge92119
    nge92119 Member Posts: 3

I can't help but freak out about these side effects. So far it has been tendonitis and trigger thumb but this week I got a new one. Suddenly, my ring finger began to hurt. I looked at it and it was swollen and red at the knuckle. I had to work to get my ring off (only a little panic there!) I got it off and started ice dips. I also took ibuprofen. This seemed to reduce and stop further swelling but the redness stayed. The next day, I did more ice. The pain is almost all gone but there is still some swelling. The the redness is now morphing into this black and bluish color along with the mild redness. The whole finger is this color. I didn't jam this finger or otherwise injure it - I'd remember that! I guess it is getting better but it is still scary. Is this something I should report to my MO? Has anyone else had this happen?

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Peg,

Just wanted to check in, I've been on arimidex now for over a month and so far no SEs, I get a bit of nausea, but very managable and it might also be due to the herceptin I'm still on. Running, working, sex, whatever. I feel lucky so far. My sis in law who went to Sloan Kettering had terrible side effects after 3 days and scared the bejezzus out of me, told me ask for something else..but so far so good. Thanks for telling me that it might not be bad. I have arthritis in my big toe right foot but I've had that for over 5 years from running and it doesn't bother me any more than usual as I rub the joint with hemp oil.

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, glad to hear that so far so good on the Arimidex. Me, too. Keep the positive attitude! My friends who are on it have had no issues. Obviously, some people do, like your SIL.

HUGS!!!

• Jerseygirl927

kmpod, I am not having any hot flashes any more, now I freeze later in the day. Air conditioning is fine in daytime, but do get chills after 5-6 pm. That I need to add sweat shirt or blanket . Yes fingers tight, so prolly arimadex, but I will take that if that's all there is. As for lymphadema I was checked and cleared, but if swelling continues that might become an issue ; I have had 3 drainage system since surgery due to seroma s and surgery was January. I think I could use draining again soon. On going issue...

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

My cholesterol did go up. I was always in the 160s or 170s and mine hit 200 exactly, and unfortunately I've never had much luck getting my good cholesterol high enough. Yes it is a side effect of the anastrazole. I'll be asking to get mine rechecked when I go to the doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the extra exercise I've worked up to may have helped reduce it a little, or increase the HDL.

• kmpod

Jersey Girl, my mastectomy surgeries were separated by 3 months because I decided after my initial surgery that I wanted a prophylactic on the other side. I, too, had persistent seromas after each surgery and was drained numerous times until they tapered off over 3 months. Lymphedema has reared its ugly head now, just in the past two months. I knew that I was at considerable risk for it because of the seromas, but It's a real bummer to have to deal with it.

• PeggyG6020
    PeggyG6020 Member Posts: 23

When I started chemo I was told to stop Omega 3, which was really helping my osteoarthritis. I started it again during radiaiton, but ran out and haven't had it for about a month.I started anastrazole about 6 weeks ago. This past week I am having flu like symptoms, terrible joint and bone pain. Before this, My arthritis is so bad that doctors were always amazed that I was not on any medication. I just used the omegas ( I'm vegan.. so I use algae omega), tai chi and exercise. I have not had such bad joint pain since I started the anastrozole. My new order of algae omega should be here tomorrow, and I am going to start it again. I know that I cannot continue with these side effects, I cannot function. I also have crohns disease, and the anastrozole may be affecting that.

I will contact my MO on Monday, and see if I can stop the anastrozole for a week, to see if the omegas help. I do not want to stop anastrozole, I am 99% estrogen positive.

Has anyone found that omegas help with the joint/bone pain?

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

PeggyG6020, the only se I have had is joint and muscle pains. My onc started me on Cymbalta and I must confess it does help me. I was in such pain before but hopefully I can stay on the Cymbalta as it seems to work. Good luck with whatever work for you dear.

Mary

• Redheaded1

Noe- I don't think the Arimidex would cuase your finger to bruise--could you have a spider bite?  That will cause both swelling and discoloration.  You would see two small spots where he pierced your finger, and it might itch...... If so, see your doctor, as this is a severe reaction to the bite. 

• pontiacpeggy

Mary, so glad the Cymbalta is helping!!!!

HUGS!