Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Whenlifegives you... nice to see you here! What changes do you see that are concerning? My pre AI bone density (Feb./13) test had my hip osteopenic but it may have been that way for awhile. I will be interested to see if any changes when I have mine July 14. As for bisphosphanates, I was on Fosamax many years ago prescribed by an ortho doc and stopped about 5 years ago when I was having dental implants. My MO mentioned them in December but I am not in favour at this point~~Auroaya I get it for you with Stage IV and that is kind of what I decided when I looked at S/E~~if recurrence then it is in my arsenal but for now want to hold off. Azalea, one of the main S/E for me is dry lips (and eyes etc.) and know what you mean. I have lip balm at my bedside and all over the house too. But I have yet to find one that actually helps. But I am trying to get past worrying about those pesky S/E and move on to just being thankful for only having pesky not terrible S/E. Forgot to take in my Rx for Effexor for another day but tomorrow will do it and then start a new drug! Hmmm!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

My pre-anastrozole dexascan showed some osteopenia. I have been on Fosamax since I started it. True it does wreak havoc with my acid reflux but that was ongoing before the Fosamax. So I just cope and I follow the directions meticulously. I gather it will be another year before I'm tested to see if there is any change.

I haven't had any issue with dry lips from the anastrozole. I use Neutrogena lip balm when mine are dry and it seems to help, maybe it would help you, MarianElizabeth. Hope your scan shows no change!

HUGS!

• SummerSun
    SummerSun Member Posts: 47

Hi Azalea. I had the same issue with dry lips and skin in general after taking arimidex for a few months. I started making my own lotion with organic cocoa butter for the scars and started making my own lip balm too. Cocoa butter traps water to lock in hydration, so it really helps with the dry, cracked lips. You can buy the same thing at Trader Joes or Whole foods, but it is super expensive compared to what it cost to make it yourself. Just google it and there are lots of recipes if you want to try it for yourself.

I can't say enough about how effective the cocoa, shea and coconut oil lotion I make has improved my skin tone after it became scaly on Arimidex. Again, if your interested, just google it. I get all my organic materials from Amazon.

• My DEXA showed a 7% change in my lumbar area. Seems like an alarming change in just one year. I meet with my MO next week (it's that dreaded time of year) so I now feel better equipped to discuss. I've forgotten what a great resource this site and community is. Thanks for the suggestions/perspective, ladies!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

PA wants me on 1200 vitamin d and 2400 calcium daily because of osteopenia from prior to chemo and arimadex. Insurance may pay for 2nd dexiscan within 2 years. Dry hands, and feet from all this and am hydrating pretty good.

• pontiacpeggy

I'm on 3000 vitamin D3 and my level was 48.9 so everyone was happy with that. I do not take calcium but do take Fosamax. I think they pay for a Dexascan every 2 years unless there is some overwhelming reason to have one sooner. At least that was my impression.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Azalea and Summer Sun, I buy a cocoa butter lip balm at CVS, and it's not terribly expensive--Palmer's, I think. I also slather petroleum jelly on my lips. I'd like to try making that lotion with cocoanut oil..I had lip cancer and had 65 percent of my lower lip removed last summer. I thought the dryness was from that, but your post suggests that it might be from my AI, Aromasin.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I used to have issues with dry lips and still do but it is a warning that I have not drank my quota of water, Drink up!

I took Fosamax for about 5 years a long time ago for slight osteopenia, recommended by my PCD. It raised my levels to normal and I stopped as I heard of SE if taken too long. When I started my AL, I had a DEXA and it showed fine. I upped my calcium and upped mu weight bearing exercises and it worked. When I ended the AL it still showed a fine DEXA

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

We all should take breaks from the bisphosphonates. I know I was told 3 years then I must take a break.

• pontiacpeggy

I hadn't heard about taking a break from Fosamax. I'll ask my MO about that when I next see him. Probably not an issue yet since I haven't been on it a year. But a thought to tuck away in my mental filing cabinet.

HUGS!

• proudtospin

Peggy, do some weight bearing exercises, it will help. it can be as simple as walking but up it!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I'm pretty good about walking and at a decent clip since my dog knows fast or stop on a dime only :) Thanks for the reminder!

HUGS!

• proudtospin

dog will keep you on your toes! have to go, need to watch the parade of soccer team in NYC~~

• pontiacpeggy

Enjoy, Iris!

• pontiacpeggy

Hello, Ladies. Four of us in Michigan got together today and, as usual, had a great time. Lots of laughs and strong friendships.

Left to right: Maureen, me, Carolynn and Mary (who is holding a sign saying "hi" to two who weren't able to be with us: Nancy and Jo).

If you're in Michigan or within reasonable driving distance of Jackson, Michigan, let me know. We'd love to have you at our next meet up. The vineyard is serene and we think it's perfect for us.

Thank you BCO for bringing us together!

HUGS!!!

• proudtospin

so nice that you were able to get together, and in a winery, hope you enjoyed some vino!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, of course we did! Did a wine tasting and found one I liked this time (my palette must have become more sophisticated over the past 3 months!).

You are invited to our next one!

HUGS!

• proudtospin

Well sounds like fun, I did join two dif get togethers in NJ but Mich is a bit far! I do remember the fun with the NJ folks!

thanks for the invite!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, sometime you may venture West :) It is nice to be with folks who "get" you, isn't it?

HUGS!!

• proudtospin

Peggy, absolutely and also good to be with folks who are doing what the docs tell us to do and trying, really trying to get healthy !

That is why I hang at the gym so much, several survivors there and working to do better, so guess it is time to get off my butt and move it! Have a great day, it is sunny here in NJ!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, good that you have other survivors at the gym. That encourages you, doesn't it?

Dreary here. Rain :(

HUGS!!

• proudtospin

Peggy, one of the folks at the gym had BC twice, once on each side and had a lumpie on one and mastectomy on the other side. I asked her for help once when my mamo turned up with a questionable thing and I needed a ride. She was great to have that day. Hey I think she is about a 20 yr survivor. She is really active at the gym and does lots of pool time

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, sounds like she was the perfect person to have with you. A 20 year survivor is encouraging! A neighbor is more like a 30 year survivor or close to it. Really made me feel optimistic.

HUGS!

• proudtospin

Peggy, I think we will both make it! ok, so back from gym time and well, tired! need my ice tea and some time on my deck!

• pontiacpeggy

I'm doing bookkeeping :( And ready to murder the State's payment website. It brings new meaning to TARFU.

HUGS!

• Gaye-Doreen
    Gaye-Doreen Member Posts: 6

I am just going to be starting Arimidex at the beginning of August and so many people have told me that magnesium oil massaged into the painful areas helps very much. I have started researching them and guess it's worth having on hand but I am terrified of what this drug will do to me too. Good luck and maybe that will help you too.

• pontiacpeggy

Gaye-Doreen, don't be scared of Arimidex. Many of us have no problems at all! Of course, some do and many of the ladies post here looking for help. And their problems are sometimes severe. Those of us with no problems, or minor ones, with Arimidex tend not to post since we don't need help. As MO said to me, why would you assume you are going to have SEs? Did you worry when you took that Tylenol or aspirin? Probably not. Look at Arimidex in the same way. One thing you might want to inquire about is taking something such as Fosamax for your bones.

If you wouldn't mind, it would help all of us if you would make your profile public so we can see your Dx and treatments. That can make a big difference in who responds to your questions - want the person who has walked in your shoes to answer, if possible.

HUGS!!!

• TNNurse
    TNNurse Member Posts: 39

I had arthritis in my knee before Arimidex (have been on it for 2.5 years). I must have gotten a break from the pain with those steroids during chemo, but now it is back. I had a Synvisc injection and it is beginning to help along with some PT. My hands hurt and I have to wear my wedding ring on a chain around my neck, I have neuropathy in my feet, I wake up some nights every two hours burning up and sweating. Do I blame it all on Arimidex, or some on age (66 soon) or some on chemo? I doubt there is a way to prove it either way. Lymphedema, night sweats, joint pain,neuropathy in my feet.....it is all just part of the package of survival.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I have CIPN in my feet, the devil pill doesn't help any. I found a sunburn gel at Walmart, Equate brand that helps some. It has aloe and lidocaine in it. This stuff does help!! Will post a pic in a minute.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178