Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Yep. 17. Good idea!!!!

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288

Guys,

Just want to let you know I'll be leaving this thread! Arimidex isn't working anymore and I started Falsodex today. I won't actually stop the Arimidex until I start the Ibrance.

Good luck to all of you! I can be seen the most on the bone met thread in stage IV.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Christina, sorry that you will be leaving us. Wishing you great response with the Faslodex and Ibrance!

Take care!

HUGS!!

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, I just put it on my list for tomorrow :)

HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

wow, my PCD called me yesterday and gave me blood workup results from my recent visit. She said my Vit D levels were low and I should take 5000 units! Can you believe that maybe this is part of my nasty back issues? Also she gave me a script for an anti inflammatory and it took less work getting out of bed this morning! Even got up to pee with ease!

Holy Shit, well PCD did say it might take some trial and error but gees oh ,

this deserves a celebration trip to the coast for fish lunch! ok, hoping I am not rushing it

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, RUSH IT!! Take advantage of every second of feeling GOOD! Did you read what Spookiesmom wrote? The big does of D3 helped her. How nice to get up during the night and actually be able to move! So maybe the new anti-inflammatory and D3 will work magic for you! Definitely go to the coast for lunch! Just go and enjoy!

I think, not quite sure yet, that I'm less creaky if I take Claritin. However, it doesn't work on my allergies as well as Benadryl. Wonder if I can take them both? Have to ask the MO today.

Enjoy your comfey feeling day!

HUGS!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

PontiacPegg, I have been leading tours and treks to the Himalayas for well over a decade but the high point this trip will be trekking in Bhutan for the first time~~3 previous tours but not trekking. Also after the trek and a tour with same group in India, my DH and I head back to Nepal to trek into one of devastated areas from April earthquake to best see where money we are raising can do the most good.

As for the timing of the antidepressants, yesterday I was told again that AM is best~~it can take weeks for things to settle down so I think it will all work out. As for MBCT, in combination with the new med, I am finding mindfulness a way to look at many things in a different light. It takes practice and I certainly am taking this opportunity as a real positive.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

while I have switched to Aromisin, this forum is wonderful and the issues are the same so I'm staying. I was fearful of the possible SE of depression especially since I've had PTSD and depression in the past as a result of childhood sexual violation. Maybe because I was already on Lexapro, but thankfully that is something that hasn't occurred with either AI. Just wish I could get out of bed in the morning without needing a crane to hoist me up. And wish I could tie my own shoes without difficulty. Feel like my body has aged so much with this stiffness. Didn't change with med change Can't wear wedding rigs anymore due to joint swelling.

Just call me granny. I'm on long term disability as I have a very active job. Don't know how my mood will be if I can't go back. Time will tell.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Peggy, at this point, not sure what has worked on the back, but gonna take it and enjoy. Tomorow is day one on the chiropractor so will see there

• pontiacpeggy

MarianElizabeth, Your trips sound exciting. I'm sure you'll find the right place in Nepal for the money you've raised. Have a wonderful time. Glad the anti-depressant and MBCT are working for you!

ChloesMom, Spookiesmom said that upping her vitamin D3 to 5000/daily helped her immensely. I would think it can't hurt. Also, some ladies have found Claritin to help that awful stiffness. I think it helps. I have old age creakiness and I do believe it helps. Thank heavens you haven't had issues with depression. Surviving a childhood sexual violation has to be hard. You are one strong cookie! That's a bummer that you're on long term disability. I mean good it's available but bad that you need it. What is your job?

Iris, Take each day as it comes and go forth!

HUGS!!!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

I am a pediatric PT. Have extreme exhaustion, stiffness all over making it

Hard to get dressed, neuropathy that limits my balance, shoulder pain and weakness from cording so I can't safely lift children yet. Have been off since Dec surgery and Feb-Apr chemo. They reassess me month to month to determine if I qualify. Was hoping to go back after chemo but no way it could happen.

• pontiacpeggy

I can believe that you can't manage to go back to work. PT is really physically demanding! That's really a shame. Sounds like you love what you do. Hopefully time will take care of enough of the problems to allow you back to work.

HUGS!!!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Peggy, I will be on Arimidex and called my pharmacy if they could get the TEVA manufacturer. She informed me that TEVA has just been bought out by a company called Plies. I asked her if ingredients would be same as with TEVA and she said I would need to check with the company. So, now what? I am new to this and don't even know what fillers I do not want. I am hoping you can help.......again!

Anyone else have any information? Anyone order direct from Astra Zeneca for $30.00 a month?

• spookiesmom

hmmmmm I read TEVA bought out some generic company

• pontiacpeggy

Sunshine, I understood that Teva was BUYING another drug maker. I wouldn't worry about it. Get the Teva brand or whatever you can. You may not have issues with the fillers anyway. Here's the info on Teva Teva Info. I think the pharmacist misunderstood what is going on. I don't know what fillers I don't want either. I was just going by posts of women last year who said that they had no problems with Teva but did with those from India. This was not a huge number of women. Just a few. You'll be fine. Just dive in!!!!!!!!!!

I think someone here does order directly from Astra Zeneca but can't remember who it is.

HUGS!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, that's correct Teva Info.

HUGS!!

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

A very interesting article explaining the business strategies of the generic drug makers.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/why-tev...

It's somewhat complicated to follow but provides great insight into what is happening with Teva, Mylan, Allergan and Actavis, et al.

It appears to boil down to the generic companies growing by gobbling up competitors, thereby reducing the number of suppliers participating in the generic market in order to give them greater bargaining power with their block purchasers.

Of course, the patients, their end users, aren't a consideration at all.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Teva is the largest generic drug manufacturer. I find it hard to believe someone is buying them. I would think the other way around. Looks like they are buying Allergen generics.

• pontiacpeggy

There was quite an article in the Wall Street Journal about Teva buying Allergen and the strategies. And of course, Kathy, you're right. They don't really take us into consideration. Perhaps we'll come out okay. Fingers crossed.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Only the stock holders, and the bottom line profit matter.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Spookies....

No kidding. You can't tell the players apart without the WSJ! Since I've been taking the Teva brand at everyone's recommendation for the last 3 + months with no problem you can bet I'm going to be monitoring this and seeing how all of you are reacting. My writers guild insurance will give me the name brand but I asked for Teva and so far so good....hope I don't have to switch brands.

• pontiacpeggy

I don't always read the business news in the WSJ (I know, I should) but the second I saw Teva, I dived right in. Remember, it is only the fillers we're talking about that vary between the companies. The actual medication is the same.

HUGS!!

• mysunshine48

I have been looking up everything I can find and, I, too, read thst TEVA has purchased another company, not the other way around, as my pharmacist said. She told me that they had been filling RX all day yesterday and the TEVA name had been replaced by another name. ? I don't get it. Also, my MO gave me a two week supply of Arimidex (sample box) from Astro Zenica and I compared the ingredients to the TEVA brand.....exactly the same. I guess I am going to order the TEVA brand and try it. I admit, being only 3 weeks post chemo, Instill have a lot of residual side effects from that and am very tired. I am doing good to walk 1/2 mile and thst exhausts me. Inread that exercise helps the joint and stiffness side effects from Arimidex and worry that I cannot do a lot of exercise yet. Plus, I have expander to implant surgery in 4 weeks, which will set exercising back again. Do you think my MO is rushing this by having me start Arimidex so soon? How much exercise do all of you do

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine, are you having joint pain or just anticipating that you MIGHT have it? You can't do more than you are physically able to do. You are exhausted from chemo and its effects on your body. Just take it easy and slowly get back to your new normal. You may not have any joint issues. If you do, ask your MO for help. But just take each day as it comes.

Do use Teva. I asked my pharmacist to make note that I only want Teva. Who knows what your pharmacist is thinking. I still think she is mistaken. But we know what is going on. Don't worry about it. You'll be just fine!

And no, I don't think your MO is rushing you. I think it is wise. The chemo has killed the cancer and now the anastrozole will make sure that cells won't turn into cancer. That's why you've gone through such a rough regimen. You want to KILL CANCER! I think that keeping your eye on the goal will help. Be positive if you can.

HUGS!!!

• mysunshine48
    • Thanks, Peggy! Hope you have a happy Friday! I have just been through so much in the past 8 months and would like a little normal, but I guess all this brings on a new normal.
  • pontiacpeggy

Sunshine, you're very right. We all have a new normal. Never back to the same state. Not necessarily worse, just different. You'll do good!

HUGS!!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I just finished chemo 3 weeks ago and started arimidex on Monday. So far mild night sweats, but that might be the humid weather and weakness in my legs and pain in knees and legs. I have yet to determine if the symptoms are the aramidex or the remnants of chemo. Reconstruction is next Wednesday.

• pontiacpeggy

tjh, I would think that you are still experiencing the aftereffects of your chemo. Weather can effect everything as you know. Your poor body has had lots of shocks since March and is struggling to get back to normal. Glad you're getting your reconstruction Wednesday. Just remember (like you could forget) that it is another assault on body (and mind). Good luck with your surgery. Hopefully the weather will clear, the chemo-effects will go away and life will look much better!

HUGS!

• mysunshine48

tjh, I am right there with you! Start Arimedex tomorrow and still feel weak from chemo. 3 weeks out PFT, just like you. My exchange is not until September, but have to have power line removed next Wednesday.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My port is coming out while I am in hospital for reconstruction. I tried some meat tonight, breaded pork...no good, I took nausea pill when we got back to hotel. I am stronger then I was a week ago. Meat seems to be the only thing my tastebuds and tummy do not like.