Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Suladog, I wonder if the AIs are rather like birth control pills and Tylenol, for example - one size pretty much does work for all. I don't know a thing about chemo but since it is actively killing so many cells that requires a weigh-adjustment. I'd think you could "overdose" on chemo. But I suspect you can't on an AI. Just my thoughts without any medical basis at all. But yes, more research is definitely needed. It would be nice to know why some of us have such awful SEs and some of us don't. What makes the difference?

HUGS!!

• 10Sbaybee
    10Sbaybee Member Posts: 2

I have been on Anastrozole for approximately 40 days. I am also taking Vitamin D and extra calcium to counteract any problems regarding bone loss. I have not noticed any side effects.

I am a tennis player and experiencing stamina and breathing issues, possibly due to radiation scarring on my lungs. My Internist has recommended that I join a gym and start walking in my neighborhood to work on my stamina.

Diagnosed January 26, 2015 - Breast Cancer (R) / Discovered "shadow" in my left breast before Surgery February 20, which turned out to be malignant - Both breasts with clean margins after surgery. 33 Radiation sessions, ending May 7.

First Mammogram since surgery scheduled for this Friday and I will be seeing surgeon later this month, before meeting with Oncologist for bone density test.

ATTITUDE is so important. My attitude and incredible support system, along with the top notch Oncology Team at the Lynn University Cancer Center in Boca Raton, Florida, got me through this very difficult time in my life.

• pontiacpeggy

Welcome, 10SBayBee! Glad you're doing well with Anastrozole. I've been on for nearly 10 months with no issues. Most of us don't have problems. But if you do, this is the place to be. Probably a gym or yoga is a good idea. I walk the dog and do yoga when I get to it. Playing tennis is really good, I'd think. Good luck with your first mammogram post-surgery! Did you have Lx on both breasts?

I totally agree that attitude helps immensely. It's not always possible to be positive be we can try to be.

Please fill out your profile with your diagnoses, treatments, surgeries etc and make them public. That is extremely helpful when you ask a question, then we know where you've been and where you are and can tailor our answers.

You'll find us very supportive. We have a lot of Florida members - perhaps you can get together. We have a group in Michigan that meets and it is amazing how wonderful it is.

Glad you're doing so well!

HUGS!!

• 10Sbaybee
    10Sbaybee Member Posts: 2

Thank you! Actually, my husband found all of you and I am so glad he did.....it will take me a few days to get up to speed on here....hopefully, I can be helpful by sharing my experiences...

Hugs!

• pontiacpeggy

10SBayBee, you've got a good hubby there. I think you'll find it a wonderful site, with lots of answers to your questions and some things you haven't even thought of :)

Filling out your profile shouldn't take too long but it is another thing to do :( Do it when you have time and the inclination.

Again, Welcome!!!!

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

10Sbaybee don't worry about "getting up to speed" It will take time. Just ask if you don't understand.

• pontiacpeggy

10SBayBee, we've all been newbies here. And sometimes it is very confusing. One little thing that tripped me up was inserting links. I was too used to cutting and pasting them. Doesn't work here. Have to use the little linky icon about the editing space to insert it.

HUGS!!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

10Sbaybee, early days for you as not long ago for surgery and all that goes with it plus the rads. Good idea about gym and walking and gradually building up and your energy should return. You have been through a lot in a short time.

PontiacPegg, menopause was long ago~~I was 63 at diagnosis and had just done a 13 day high altitude trek in Nepal so was in good shape to start the long treatment and surgery process. Now 66 and leading a trek in Bhutan in Sept. and more trekking in Nepal in October.

Night sweats rare but a new insomnia since the antidepressants. Will work through it. Am also doing MBCT (mindfulness based cognitive therapy) 6 sessions one on one with a senior Psychiatric resident at our cancer agency~~totally lucked out on that one

• pontiacpeggy

MarianElizabeth, we're very close in age (I'm 70). What an adventurous soul you are! Your treks sounds like great fun. What especially are you looking forward to doing on them?

I've never taken antidepressants so I don't know the ins and outs of them. But could it make a difference what time you take yours, causing the insomnia? Would changing the time of day help, do you think? I'm sure you will work through it - you are one strong cookie! You did luck out with the MCBT sessions getting the Sr Resident. Are you finding it helpful? What is the best thing you've taken away from it so far?

Sleep good tonight!

HUGS!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156

Suladog, had never thought about the 1 mg of Anastrozole we are all on. Hmmm!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

MarianEliz,

Yeah, I did some research about the AIs before I started and it turns out that everybody gets the same dosage, I imagine they'd have to do another study to see if perhaps it should be adjusted , they know the dosage they have now works but they don't know how low they could go and still have it work. My MO was telling me that originally herceptin was given for 2 yrs until they did some trials and discovered that 1 yr worked just as well with less toxicity

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Question? Is Ariedex and Anastrozole the same. All these names seem to be interchanged on this thread. Als are also mentioned quite a lot. Peggy, Inwould bet you could give me a short lesson in this. I sure would appreciate it. I see my MO tomorrow to discuss what I will be on and round like to be informed. She does not share a lot with me. I think there must be big differences in MO's!

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine48, yes Arimidex (brand name) and Anastrozole (generic name) are the same. They are used interchangeably. AI = Aromatase (aroma taze) Inhibitors which is what Arimidex, Femara and Aromasin all are. Check out the articles on this site. Look up Aromatase Inhibitors and that should get you the info you need. BTW, in general, AIs are given to menopausal women. Not hard and fast, of course, but that's usual. For younger women, they usually get Tamoxifen (and sometimes older women will transition to Tamoxifen after years of an AI).

When I asked my MO why he chose Arimidex rather than Femara, he said no real reason but Arimidex has been around longer.

From what I can see there are big differences in MOs. One way to make sure you get your MO to answer your questions is to write them down. Take them with you. Make a point of reading them to him and WRITING down the answers. And make sure you understand what he has said. I find lists make doctors stop and listen and answer. At least it works for me. I keep my lists in the computer by doctor and appointment date. Then when I think of something I want to ask at the next appointment, I add it to the list. The night before the appointment I print it out (make sure to leave room to write answers!). You may find another way to accomplish the same thing.

Hope this helps! Good luck tomorrow!

HUGS!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

ok, so Peggy is great and so organized, wish I was the same!

Hoping you got the info you were looking for

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, this is one of the few things I'm organized about. The house certainly isn't (it's messy). But I think I'm getting to the point where I may actually get the house less messy! I'm not going to rush things. I've had 70 years to practice messiness so have to go slowly :)

HUGS!!!

• proudtospin

Peggy

well organization is a positive trait!

I tried a new med today at the advise of my PCD and do believe the nasty back is happier tonight! course I did a bunch of laps in the pool but sure hoping this is the sign of a better back, oh yeah did my first visit to a chiro yesterday as well

least I am not in screaming pain tonight!

hope all is well on your side

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, Thank you. I'll keep aiming for organized in other areas now.

I'm happy for you and your back! That's wonderful. Care to share what you're trying? Glad you were able to swim laps. Screaming in pain is definitely terrible! Poor dear! Gentle hugs! Hope it keeps feeling better!

All's well here. Just got a new refrigerator (old one was 19 yrs old). Now to wash it down inside (something I wouldn't have thought to do (lacking the cleaning gene) but the delivery guy said it will get rid of any plasticky smell, so I'll give it a whirl. Looks pretty though!

HUGS!!!

• proudtospin

oh yeah those appliances to have a tendency to get old on us

well my PCD gave me a new anti inflamitory that I seem to be tolerating better than the OTC ones so crossing fingers that tonight is a happy night will know more in the morning! thinking positive as this hopefully will solve the long pain issue

• pontiacpeggy

That's great that you're tolerating it! Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it works and continues to do so and you tolerate it!!!!!

HUGS!

• proudtospin

love my PCD and her approach to stuff, course she also said that the last blood work up says bad stuff on cholesterol and I need to add Vit D 5000 to my list of stuff

think I can a can handle that !

hate this docs that go nuts on hearing we have the big C and go over board on junk!

• pontiacpeggy

So far I haven't run into my docs going overboard. That's a lot of Vitamin D - I take 3000. My overall cholesterol is highish - 230. But my good HDL is 95! So my ratio (which is far more important) is 1.5 and that's fantastic.

Of course you can handle it! Vitamin D shouldn't be an issue to take.

Nice to have a great PCP isn't it?

HUGS!

• proudtospin

had a two year period where due to insurance I had changed my PCD but so glad when I was able to go back to her when I hit Medicare

the other one I think got freakie about the who Cancer thing and was a complete waste when I had sinus issues

better now

it was good to talk to her about the meds she suggested to me last week and was able to discuss the reactions, feeling positive

it helps to have a doc who also has allergie issues

• proudtospin

Peggy, I have an allergy to OTC NSAIDS like advil and alleve and such and my new spine doc has decided that that may be my problemnot taken any during all of this junk/ Finaly my doc gave me a script fpp

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Thank you, Peggy! I do have questions written down, and now I can ask with a little more understanding. I am 66 and 98% estrogen so I think she will want to put me on Arimidex.

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, isn't Medicare grand? So glad you could get back to your bestie PCP! I'm quite sure you're glad the other one is in your rearview mirror :)

Oh, I remember you mentioning that you have issues with OTC stuff. Let's hope the new Rx and no OTCs do the trick for you. (It DOES help having a doc who understands!).

MySunshine48, Good for you for writing down your questions. I'm not sure that having a higher percentage estrogen matters, just being positive I think does. Arimidex does appear to be the most likely choice. Let me know how it goes tomorrow!

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Proud, many years ago my pain doc dx'd me with fibro. He said the vitD3 could help with the pain. It did!!!!! I take 5000 daily. Then MO said to take it with calcium for my bones because of the arimadex. I said I already did take it.

I'll never go without it now, it made that much difference in my pain level. Hope it helps you too.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, I'm amazed that vit D could make that huge a difference in your pain. Wow! Smart pain doc! We can hope it works that well for Iris!

HUGS!!

• spookiesmom

I'd seen it mentioned in a fibro forum. Fibro is no fun to have. When he ordered the test, my level was 17. Bottom of normal is 40, and they like you to be higher. Anybody with chronic pain should get tested, the pills are little and cheap.

• spookiesmom

what's strange about it is I'm in Florida. You'd think I'd get enough from the sun, as compared to you up north, stuck in the house all winter. Our bodies have problems making the D3. It's the 3 that's important to look for when buying it.

• pontiacpeggy

I do take the D3, as mentioned 3000/day. Was it your vitamin D level that was 17?? Wow! Mine was 48.9 when I was tested last month at the behest of my survivorship nurse practitioner. I'll check with my MO tomorrow and see if he wants me to increase my vitamin D.

HUGS!