Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

HappyHammer sorry to hear you are dealing with the same issues as me. I hope it begins to taper off. I took my first trip since being diagnosed. We went down to Beaufort SC and it was nice to get away for a few days. I was a little nervous but manage ok. We tracked our steps and we were averaging 13,000 steps a day so I want to keep that up now that I am back. Maybe that will help with the weight gain. Swimming sounds like a good idea also so may look into that. More exercise less carbs is what I am going to try.

Thanks to everyone for the information and help. Other than the weight I really have not had any other issues.

Have a great week everyone.

Connie

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

Hey, Duzy- that all sounds good...Beaufort is in my recent travel wheelhouse...hope you guys had a great time. The weather has been nice and warm lately so hoping you had a good time! Yes, thinking water therapy may be the way along with yoga and...Zumba...it's my favorite and since I am feeling better after the asthmatic bronchitis am going to try again. DH and I worked in our yard this afternoon and it was really good...thinking it will all work out or at least going with Pollyanna for a bit and hoping so.

There are some of us getting together in Hickory, NC weekend of May 22- please look at it and see if you might be able to join us. Our own CHiSandy will be in concert as a BC benefit.....we can get a good room rate at a nice local hotel..just need to get a number the week prior to the concert.....would love to meet you and your DH if he wants to come, too.

Anyone else available to join us...please let me know so we can get our plans together....there is golf for the DH's interested...a spa for gals/hubs, food and spirits Sat and Sun/ furniture shopping, hiking/waterfalls, etc, etc....

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

ok, here is a different take, went off anastrozole because of side effects , fatigu, insomnia, weight gain, neuropathy, always cold . Was off 3/16 till 4/19 ...in that time got sick, sweats, Fever, chills, headache. Saw MO and family Drs. Not one could give me an answer, so back on A1 lestrozole as a change because of insomnia, fatigue above SE's. Today was first day, no Fever, no chills, no sweats, no joint pain, and lost 10 lbs. now not sure what caused what? But going to infectious disease Dr. tomorrow to see if any of this is related? Will keep you posted. Mt thought, hormones were raging because they were not contained. Am 65 years old?

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JerseyGirl, that's interesting. Smart to get it all checked out. Glad you're doing better!

HUGS!

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Jerseygirl...so sorry you are going through this. IMO you can have major withdrawal symptoms from any drug you take long term. However what you describe sounds much more like an infection or a combination of both. Could be that coming off the drug made you more susceptible to infection. Glad you are doing better. Good luck and keep us posted....

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65

Happyhammer - Beaufort was such a nice area. I had not been to that area. My boss has a condo there so the girls used it for a get away. We went to Charleston one day and Savannah the next day. Both beautiful areas

I would love to come to the get together and be able to meet some of you but I will not be able to make this one. My daughter is getting married June 11 and that weekend is her bachelorette party. Maybe next time we can make a trip there

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

been to MO yesterday, explained the issues with previous symptoms and with them and its very probable that coming off the A1 anastrozole caused the sweats, fever, headache and chills for that period of time since going back on another A1 femmara has eliminated the symptoms that i previosly had with in a 5-6 day starting. Blood tests concluded nothing, bacterial was going on in my body. All else was good , and will follow up in 3 months.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JerseyGirl, Glad things have settled down and you are on the AI you should be.

HUGS!

• dtad

Wow thats a really bad withdrawal! Glad you are doing better....

• bambam514
    bambam514 Member Posts: 5

I have been on anastrozole since Jan 2015. This med had side effects. Sleep is interrupted and early on I had a couple mild hot flushes. I am fatigued most of thevtime. Not sure if it's from menopause or the anastrozole. I have joint pain all the time but I do take an advisor every morning that helps. Just this week my right thigh kept getting more and more sore up to my hip where I could barely get up formy a chair or walk down steps. It was very painful getting out of the car. I took the max dose of advilife of 6 and that helped. It feels much better 3 days later so I can only attribute it to the anastrozole. Who knows? Anyone else have this experience?

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

bambam514, kind of sounds like trochanter bursitis. http://www.allhealthsite.com/trochanteric-bursitis-causes-symptoms-exercises-treatment-and-surgery.html

I have suffered with it off and on (more on than off) since about a week after I started on Arimidex.  I eventually switched to Aromasin because of many severe SE, unfortunately the bursitis hasn't changed, but the constipation is gone.  sleep is almost non existent.  The joints in my hands make it hard to even wear a ring. I take Celebrex when things get really bad, but overall it's all doable if I could just sleep.  Not at all into taking yet another pill..... ugh :)

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

Sloan15 , do you mean actual burn on skin or burning sensation. Just wondering as I get burning sensation in my right shin area. Thanks

• Grazy
    Grazy Member Posts: 231

Bambam514 - when my MO prescribed Arimidex for me, she recommended that I also take 500 mg of 'Glucosamine - Sulfate' 3 times per day to help prevent any potential joint issues. All physicians have their own beliefs in what helps and what doesn't. Have no idea if it will help, but I'm doing as told. :) I've only been on the AI for two weeks, so time will tell. She also recommended Calcium and Vitamin D supplements to combat bone loss, and then of course I'll be taking Zometa in time. Currently, that's my regimen!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

omg bambam - that's what I have! It is excruciating! I've been on Arimidex since mid Feb. Holy cow! I'm taking a break it until this clears up, then I'll try again. I can't live this way. Femara gave me numb feet and toes - I'll take that over this any day.

• dtad

Crazy....I think its great that number one your doc informed you that there could be side effects and two he suggested something that might help buffer them! We need more docs like that!

• samaileko
    samaileko Member Posts: 5

Molly, I checked in the Brisdelle...it makes Tamoxifen lose its effectiveness. Thank you for mentioning it to me though

• bambam514

thanks for the info. It makes sense. Many of the issues I experience such as joint pain fatigue flare ups of different body parts etc I am not sure if they are from the arimidex or getting older. I will be 60 in July. Concentration is also an issue. The MO said he will take me off it if it interrupts my quality of life but my thoughts are will any of the other meds be any better or just another set of side effects to adjust to? It's such a tough call. Plus he said he would give me a 2 month break if we switch to and I worry about that 2 months I was fortunate with a small tumor surgery for lumped to my and 5 weeks of radiation so I hate to complain as it could have been so much worse.

• bambam514

Gray

I will ask about glucosamine. I am receptive to anything to help get through this. I do take vitamin d and calcium already. It's a tough medicine.

• bambam514

farmer Lucy

This is tough medicine I know it could be worse, I just want to understand the ST and why occasional flareups. Is it me or the meds? Do I stay on it or try another one after a 2 month break?

• farmerlucy

Bambam - I just took some glucosamine too. And the little white wonder pill. :( my aches and pain can probably be explained by the fact that I pulled the riding mower out of the mud myself last week and lifted something I shouldn't have. I need to get smarter about physical work. It is hard to accept that I can't do what I used to do . Thanks for being there ladies. My poor husband appreciates it when I have someone else to whine to. Big, giant, bear hugs across the board.

Ps I'm asking for a winch for Mother's Day. Also I feel better know knowing this ache has a name - bursitis! Thanks for that friends!

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

farmerlucy,

I think it is great when women ask for power tools and equipment on Mothers' Day, birthdays and holidays. Go girl!

• farmerlucy

thanks doxie! One year DH got me earrings for Christmas. I was so disappointed. A new chainsaw? Now we're talking

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I agree! Best gift from DH ever was my detail sander or hhmmm... was it the workmate? Either way, both good! A winch? wow, never thought of that, but would be handy.

• farmerlucy

GG - I KNEW we were sisters! SillyHeart

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

SillyHeartPractical sisters at that!!

• Grazy

Farmer Lucy and GG27, you two made my day with your power tools posts! I may not look at Mother's Day the same way again. #NewGiftIdeas ;)

• farmerlucy

Grazy ThumbsUpThumbsUp

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

For those of you who are experiencing pain and are tired. Remember if you are not sleeping correctly this could be why you are tired. Also pain wears you out too.

• bambam514

Grazy:

What is the Zometa for? I will be anxious to see how you make out on arimidex. Good luck to you and all those suffering with this med. At least we are all here to talk about it. Gotta look at the positives.

• Grazy

Hi bambam - Zometa is given twice yearly via infusion and I am being prescribed it to help prevent the bone loss that the Arimidex will cause. Zometa is a bisphosphonate, which reduces bone loss and fractures by helping to rebuild bone. My MO also mentioned that it is helpful in preventing bone metastases - so another layer of protection in addition to the Arimidex. Here's a link with info that you might find helpful. http://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/research/adjuva...