Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Sophiee
    Sophiee Member Posts: 10

Megansgrandma, Thank you, my surgery went well. I get nauseous too! Last night I was vomiting and felt awful, Today I feel much better. I don't know if its from the anaesthesia or pain meds but the same thing happened after my mastectomy. I stop my pain meds last night and I feel better so maybe it was from that or maybe both. I'm just taking ibuprofen, I would rather have some discomfort than feeling like i'm going to vomit constantly. I hope I never need surgery again!!! No problem with my insurance since the dogs ears were from my mastectomy.

• adina65
    adina65 Member Posts: 6

What does QOL & MO stand for? Sorry, not up on the acronyms and abbreviations.

Adina

• Blinkie
    Blinkie Member Posts: 123

Adina - There is an explanation of the abbreviations. Look on the left side of the page just below the spot that says "jump to a forum."

QOL = quality of life

MO = medical oncologist

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Have been off the forums for a bit as I was home in Nebraska as my Mom who is 91 was having back problems. She is a breast cancer survivor so bone pain is always a worry but it seems to be her old compression fractures and she is recovering, ever so slowly.

I was off my Anastrozole for a week as two pharmacies had trouble getting the Teva brand for me. I found my emotions went wild that week like the old hormone swings when I was younger. CVS finally was able to get it for me and I'm getting back to normal. Also started getting joint pain while I was off it . . . weird.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Golden, that IS wild. Who'd have thought anastrozole would keep the joint pain away? None of us. Glad things are getting back to normal and that your mom is okay.

HUGS!

• adina65
    adina65 Member Posts: 6

Thank you for the abbreviations and I'm looking on the left column and can't find anywhere where it says "jump to forum" dah!

• pontiacpeggy

Adina65, scroll to the top of the page. On the left you'll see things like "All Topics" "My Favorite Topics" "Private Messages." Now look down just below all those choices that are in dark blue. There's a little drop down list that has ALL FORUMS highlighted. Just below that is the link for "Help for Abbreviations." It's in dark blue too. It's definitely a "duh" once you see it (I was one who couldn't find it too ;) ).

HUGS!

• Blinkie

Hey, adina65 does this help? (ignore that thing that says "the bells of st john, wikipedia." Well unless you like Doctor Who . . .)

• Fionascottie
    Fionascottie Member Posts: 56

Hello, fellow Anastrozole/Arimidex ladies.....it has been a while since I logged in. I've been taking the little pill daily for a year and a half and putting up with leg and foot pain and bouts of fatigue and poor sleep, telling myself it is part of the journey. As long as I don't dwell on BC I don't get anxious about the future! Head in the sand technique :). A few weeks ago I started having the same digestive issues I had about a year ago when I was still getting Herceptin as well as taking Anastrozole. I blamed the gas, cramping, diarrhea on Herceptin., but here it is again. During that time a year ago I had two colonoscopies because I didn't get great results from the prep for some reason and a polyp was found. So I'm to have another one in a few weeks and I'm betting that the prep won't really do the job again. It's embarrassing to say the least. I'm not new to prepping and have had good results the 1/2 dozen times I've done it before. I had precancerous polyps so I'm on a 3 yr recall usually. Have any of you had the experience of having poor results from your prep ? Did your gastro dr have a solution?

Pulling my head out of the sand and back to reality

• pontiacpeggy

Fionna, good luck! That has to be worrisome and to go through 2 colonoscopies because the prep didn't work - UGH!! In your pocket!

HUGS!

• Pheasantduster
    Pheasantduster Member Posts: 1,986
    Fiona - you don't mention your prep - in the past I was instructed to use Magnesium Citrate 3 bottles ( I was able to buy 'no flavor) You can mix it with orange Gateaide to make is more tasty to swallow. Worked very well. Maybe worth asking about.
  • Fionascottie

Thanks Pontiac Peggy.... I was hoping there were some magic tricks out there to overcome digestive troubles from the tiny little pill we take every day! Have a great weekend

• Fionascottie

I checked in my Onc and she told me to stop anastrozole for a couple of weeks to see if intestinal issues improve. I've got my fingers crossed!

• 2ndGenBCA
    2ndGenBCA Member Posts: 28

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Anastrozole - I go back to the doctor next week and will discuss another option. Have been off the generic now for two months. Took the time to try and remedy the injuries caused/exacerbated by the drug. My insurance won't approve a name brand so the cost goes up significantly and my budget can't cover it. I'm not so sure I even want to try another drug at this point. It's a bit scary but I'm afraid I'll ruin my quality of life again. You are all so kind, thank you for your support as I try to figure this thing out.

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

2ndGen Armidex brand name has a direct to consumer program that is $30 a month and they also have a free program for low income/no insurance. Just good Armidex direct to consumer (also I posted link in earlier posting). Hopefully this will enable you to make the right decision for you w/o cost.

Good luck

• 2ndGenBCA
    2ndGenBCA Member Posts: 28

Thank you jpBCfree - I will check it out. :)

• jpBCfree

2nd Gen, you can look at my past posts for more info but here is the Arimidex direct link...the site is a bit confusing to use at first but I figured it out and received my pills very easy https://www.arimidex.com/faqs/about-arimidex-faqs....

Meanwhile, i've decided to take tamoxifen for 2 years instead of the AI b/c I had a dexascan that showed bone loss and I want to try and build up my bones with exercise, good diet and tamoxifen and then take Arimidex for the last 3 years. My MO says most her patients have less SE with tamoxifen (although it's not a walk in the park either). AIs have slightly better cancer protection (especially with more advanced cancer) but from what she says the key is to try and take the pills for as close to 5 years as you can manage even if slightly less effective Tamoxifen. For me, I really didn't want to go into osteoporosis place at age 52 and my active lifestyle hence the tamoxifen decision...and if turns out that i can tolerate tamoxifen well then I may opt to leave well enough alone and stay on it for all 5 years.

Good luck on your journey!

• Blinkie

I'm still struggling with GERD. I got a referral to see someone about it, and it was not helpful. It turned out to be a nurse who basically read a pamphlet to me. I've had a GERD diagnosis since around 2000, but have not suffered any symptoms for years. Plus, I've already raised the head of the bed, eliminated coffee & other trigger foods, stopped eating before bed and all the other things one is told to do. I was looking for more specific advice about trying to get it under control without medication. She shrugged and said, "No one does that; everyone just comes in and says 'Give me a pill that allows me to eat and drink what I want.'" She basically said I just have to use trial and error to see what makes it better or worse.

I've become used to the way I've been cared for by the cancer doctors and nurses; they feel like members of my team who really care about my health. I felt dismissed by the gastro nurse.

If I continue taking anastrozole, I think I will have to take medication for GERD. Then I might have to take another drug (that has side effects) for the bone loss. Many people seem okay taking all these medications and don't seem to be afraid of them. I find this whole situation overwhelming. I can't see myself taking one drug after another, each one have scary side effects. They don't seem any less scary than having cancer.

Right now my quality of life is not good. I feel awful all the time. Something will have to change. The first thing I'm going to get in touch with the nursing team at the breast cancer clinic and ask them for help. I need some encouragement and some guidance.

I'm now taking the Teva brand of anastrozole instead of the Accord brand. The shortness of breath I was experiencing has stopped. I may never know if it was caused by the medication or if there was something else happening.

Thanks for 'listening.'

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Blinkie, I have Gerd too, and have been taking omeprazole for quite a while, but my dr. switched me to generic Zantac because I'm also taking Calcium and Vit. D and it works with it. I haven't had any problems with Gerd while taking it.. just a thought

• PinkLonghorn
    PinkLonghorn Member Posts: 9

Hello everyone, I'm a newly registered user. I've been taken anastrozole since April 2014. Some side effects are tolerable/manageable: hot flashes, joint stiffness in the AM, bouts of fatigue, ~5-10 lbs weight gain, bone density loss (now taking Fosamex since Jan 2016; works better for me with probiotic). In the past 4-6 months, however, the anxiety/mood swings/depression seems to be getting worse, occurring more frequently, and lasting longer. So far, I haven't come to the decision to stop taking it (with onc guidance), but there are days when I'm very close. I see onc every 4 months (next week) and will ask about taking 1/2 the current dosage. If anyone has suggestions of any essential oils or other more holistic treatments for the anxiety/mood swings/depression events, I would welcome the info. Hugs to all of us Warriors in Pink! Heart

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,516

Welcome, Pinklonghorn! Thank you for joining us, and for sharing your experiences on Arimidex. There's lots of info here, and lots of member who can relate/commiserate with you. We hope you find this to be a supportive place!

The Mods

• Evielynn
    Evielynn Member Posts: 1

I am about to start the infamous Arimidex Therapy and am just a little anxious about it, I'm 2weeks out from BMX with spacers and not so sure I'm ready for more emotional highs and lows, weight gain along with aches and pains that can be side effects of this medication, hopefully I will hear of more women absent of these effects than are experiencing them! 💞 Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences and helping others through these trying times

• pontiacpeggy

Terri, I've been on Anastrozole for 2 years with no SEs. Everyone is different but don't anticipate you'll have problems with it. You may or you may not. If SEs occur then you can deal with them. One thing you might consider is taking regular (not "D") Claritin. Many women have found that it makes achy joints less so. I have normal (for a 71 year old) morning stiffness and Claritin makes that a lot better (however it doesn't work for my allergies). You've been a lot already. You profile isn't public so we don't know all the treatments you have had. Like everything else to do with BC, take it one day at a time. Good luck!

HUGS!

• jpBCfree

Hi Blinkie. If you've not explored explored nutrition with GERD I would strongly suggest the excellent documentary (and helpful website) FORKS OVER KNIVES as well as all the great info on www.nutritionfacts.org. I am a big believer in the concept of 'Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food' (Hippocrates) and unfortunately nutrition is hardly taught in med schools and I've found most doctors to know very little about nutrition.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Evielynn, I've been on Arimidex for almost 8 years with little to no SE's. When I went on only brand name was available and when it went generic my insurance switched up but I've taken several different generic manufacturers and still no problems. Some have no issues, some have minor issues, some have tolerable issues and others have to change because their SE's are over-the-top. There is no telling until a person tries but at least we have the options available.

• MissV123
    MissV123 Member Posts: 7

Good Morning Ladies.....I haven't been on the boards in quite some time as I have been struggling with not feeling will as well as other issues.....I have been on Anastrozole since March. Had a colonoscopy in Aug and have has stomach issues since. been treated 2x for somach infections (perhaps from colonoscopy) and my Doc even treated me for c diff even though the tests were negative......couldn't figure out what was going on...sick all the time running to the bathroom for 3 months taking probiotics, drinking cholestyramine mix drinks....finally called ONC and he told me to stop the Anastrozole .....its day 3....and no stomach upset.....now Im worried what they will try next......At this point , my quality of life was so bad......I don't want to go on any of the meds.......anyone else experience this?

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

MISV123. I have been on all 3. arimidex,aromasin and femara. the arimidex was awful. constipation was just not manageable. stool softners, mirilax every night and still needed an enema. bone pain as well. took a break and the constipation resolved in days. switched to aromasin. liver enzymes went through the roof and the muscle and bone pain was so painful. I was determined not to let it get the best of me. on my check up the onc said we needed to switch again as they were worried about my liver. on to femara. constipation again, but manageable. (it is what it is) less bone and muscle pain. SO SO grateful for less of anything. it's cheaper as well, so bonus. currently off that as well....3 weeks in and my face and eyes are itching like crazy. they took me off as it was the only thing that I had changed. UGH. didn't seem to make much of a diff, so back on femara next week. at the end of the day, I have found them all to be just awful. thing is, I went through chemo and rad and only missed one day of work. the most difficult thing to manage is the crap that no one warned me about. the after/side effect that cancer, chemo, radiation and life long meds was something that I was not prepared for. I WILL do this as I WILL NOT let it get the best of me. however, is really sucks. I am here to write about it, so that is the best thing. I beat CANCER, and I will beat this. hang in there, you might feel much better after the switch.

• pontiacpeggy

BJB, Ugh. I admire your tenacity in staying on AIs. You certainly know the value of them. I think most of us are willing to put up with some SEs to get their benefit. I hope things calm done this time around on femara.

HUGS!

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

me too Peg:) I'm just a bull headed woman. it's hard for me to give into anything, especially as I want and need to be around for as long as God has planned for me. God willing and the creek don't rise....as my sweet mother used to day.

• pontiacpeggy

BJB, good for you! I love your mother's adage - an oldie but goodie and true.

HUGS!