Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Spookie, glad all's going along normally. I am deliriously happy with my move. It's wonderful having #2 son & DIL 2 minutes away. I wish #1 and wife were that close too. Love my house, neighbors and all about Spokane. Better than my wildest hopes.

HUGS!

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Peggy,

So happy that your move turned out so well! You are a mighty courageous woman to pack up and move across the country!

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Suz-Q! Not brave - determined. While I miss my brother and family and my brother-in-law and his family, the desire to be near one of my kids was stronger. And it's been worth it!

HUGS!

• Labradoodlemom
    Labradoodlemom Member Posts: 2

Thank you. I am taking Anastrozole, I don't know if that is a generic form of Arimidex or not. I didn't take my medicine last night, and I am actually standing here typing this reply. Not that I'm not in anymore pain, but it is bearable. Think a few more days off of this stuff and I'll be back to normal. Will call my oncologist on Monday and see if there is an alternate treatment or a way to stop the awful foot pain.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

Yes, Anastrozole is generic Arimidex. Check the manufacturer though. Quite a few of us switched from Accord to Teva and do better with it. My MO was fine with writing "Teva only" on the Rx.

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

@redheaded1

Curious why your oncologist said he would prefer 1/2 dose anastrazole over tamoxifen...I opted to take tamoxifen over anastrozole as my dexascan show bone loss and didn't want to take more powerful drugs to reverse that. I've been taking tamoxifen for a month and so far no noticeable side effects.

thanks

• pontiacpeggy

Janet, like you I take Teva's version of anastrozole. I've had no problems either.

Labradoodle, check to see who's version of anastrozole you are taking. The fillers seem to be the problem in a lot of cases. Defiinitely call your MO Monday.

JP, there are many reasons why tamoxifen might not be an option. If you have a tendency to blood clots or are taking a blood thinner, for example. Each of us need to discuss all of the options with our MO, especially if you're having problems.

HUGS!

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

My pharmacy informed me they can no longer get Teva brand anastrozole. the accord brand made me dizzy. My doctor is having me try Blue Point brand anastrozole.

Has anyone tried Blue Point? How is it for you?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I got the last bottle Walgreens had, they told me there is a supply problem too. So not happy about this. I guess it's on Tevas end.

Before I started on it is when my MO told me to do the calcium and vit D3. Been about 4 years now. Earlier this year I got lazy and stopped the calcium. My feet felt like they could shatter, like glass. I thought I'd have to get a shower seat it was so hard to stand. My PCP and podiatrist had no good idea what was wrong.

So one night it hit me to start the calcium again. Within 3 days I could get up and walk normally.

Never again, as long as I'm on this darn pill, will I go without the calcium.

Try it!!

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, I do Walgreen's too. I hope the supply chain straightens out quickly. How much calcium do you take? I've had bad luck in the past taking calcium but if I have to go to a different manufacturer and have problems I'll give it a whirl.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Peg MO said 1200 mg calcium and 5000 vit D3 daily.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, I'm taking 3000 vit D3 daily and Fosamax once weekly. Don't know if I need to add calcium but I'll ask when I see my MO. Appreciate the advice.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

I doubt it that you'd need more, but won't hurt to ask. 😎

• pontiacpeggy

I will ask him. Thanks!

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

this is what they wrote on the bagimage

• pontiacpeggy

Hopefully it will be available in one month!

HUGS!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

JP- He feels that the Aromatase inhibitors have been shown to be slightly more effective at preventing reoccurrence. I am post menopausal, so the Tamoxifen wasn't one he wanted me to do for that reason. He also is concerned about heart attack/stroke/blood clot risks. wit the Tamoxifen That is the trade off in exchange for no bone risks. I know where yo are coming from--before he lectured me about the cardiac issues I really wanted to do the Tamoxifen. My Oncotype suggests I only have a small reoccurrence risk to begin with, and for that I am v ery grateful.. Based on the 1/2 life of the drug, I will probably be fine. If not, then I will decide whether to take anything or try the tammy, I know he doesn't want to see me give up completely. I see him again Dec 16 to see how I am doing.

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

Question on Word Finding Ability:

Hi All:

I've been on anastrozole since 11/1/16 and I'm noticing a little more word finding issues over the last couple weeks. Usually, I can't remember celebrity names off the top of my head but it seems it spread to other words and sayings. Is this common? I don't want a BC recurrence but if it means permanent memory issues, I can't take the risk. I had adjusted to my midlife, post-menopausal word finding challenges but I was holding my own. I'm also wondering if the impact its having on my sleep (insomnia) is making me a little more foggy. I feel fatigued during the day with period of drowsiness and then as soon as its time for bed...bang! Eyes wide open and I lie here until 4am. Blech!

Any similar experiences, ladies?

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Marcella

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

I have some memory and word recall issues. Also concentration problems. Feel fatigued all the time.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Peggy, I am taking Calcium 1200mg. and VitD 2000, I see my Mo on Thursday so will see if I need to change it..

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

I have memory issues, but the Onc says this is more a PTSD type dysfunction from the shock of being told you have Cancer. He said that is why those of us that didn't have chemo think we have chemo brain---.

• pontiacpeggy

And for some of us, it's age-related I suspect. But I think your MO is right on, Red.

HUGS!

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

You may be right, Red.

Its been a traumatic year and that absolutely messed up my sleep patterns which in turn can effect memory, concentration, mood, etc.

I don't remember the last time I stayed asleep more than 1 or 2 hours at a time.

This is day 28 on anastrozole and in addition to the increase in "word finding" issues, I'm noticing a kink in my neck and both ankles.

Had this stiff neck the past week and today woke up with both ankles messed up. I did nothing different over the past week so its weird. Can this be the anastrozole effects starting a month in? I hope not : (

• TerriJo
    TerriJo Member Posts: 6

Hi! I started taking Arimidex (taking the generic) in August of this year. For the last two months I've had a persistent cough and tire very easily. At first I thought it was from having part of my right lung removed at the end of September due to the spread of my breast cancer, but now I'm not so sure about tha. I was wondering if this could be from taking Arimidex. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't see my oncologist until the end of December

• pontiacpeggy

TerriJo, I think you should see your MO very soon. That's worrisome especially since you have lost part of a lung. Better to be safe and find out what's going on. Hope it's nothing!

HUGS!

• lorraine48
    lorraine48 Member Posts: 2

l took forg about 18 months and couldn't deal with side effects. Stopped about 3 weeks ago and feel much better. Stopped because of flashing, pulled knee miniscus, broke left foot. Have not told mo yet.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,516

Dear lorraine48,

Welcome to the community. We hope that you will find some support and information here. We appreciate your reaching out and sharing with our member. Please stay connected, keep us posted and let us know if you need any help navigating your way around the boards. The Mods

• pat2011
    pat2011 Member Posts: 5

Hello, Marcella. I have taken Arimidex for 5 years now and my oncologist says that I need to make the decision whether to continue. He says it is up to me and he doesn't think the research clearly indicates that I should or shouldn't. After 5 years, I can't be sure which symptoms are side effects and which are simply old age creeping up on me. The main symptom is sore joints. I also have osteoporosis, which is apparently worsened by Arimidex. I read a lot about all the treatments and chose Prolia because it seemed to increase bone density. Most other drugs stop bone loss, but not improve it. I had to fight to get Prolia. The insurance company wanted me to try other things first. I wondered if I had to break a hip in order to show that the less expensive drugs weren't working. They kept turning down everything my primary care doctor prescribed, so the oncologist prescribed it as a cancer fighter (bone loss caused by cancer treatment) and got it approved. It is expensive, and my out-of-pocket portion is high. If I quit taking Arimidex, I will switch to an osteoporosis med with fewer side effects. Just wanted you to hear another perspective.

• ammco
    ammco Member Posts: 1

SpecialK I had the exact progression down to the trigger finger. Yes as I move I improve. I tell my students "I need to greased up" first then we will . . . . We have Go Noodle acct with our school system and are supposed to move 10" each hour. It was lovely.

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

MarchellaPa - I had word re-call problems for about 7 months. Then, one day, I was fine. It was definitely linked to the anastrozole as I had to stop taking it for one week and my word re-call came back. Then, I started the anastrozole again and the re-call was impaired. My MO said to stick with the anastrozole for a year and most of the side effects would go away aside from lingering joint pain. He was right! I'm still having hot flashes, but I was having those before the meds. Hang in there. I was really worried that I was getting Alzheimers or dementia, but the fog really did lift one day.