Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Here is what I use for dry eye:

https://www.systane.com/products/systane-lubricant...

Coach Vicky

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Nancy, my optometrist (seconded by my ophthalmologist) told me to use Refresh Optive. I'm to use it at least 4 times a day. I find I usually manage 3 times now that I'm not taking all the prescription stuff I had to use before and after my surgery. I'm sure it isn't preservative-free but even with all my allergies I've had no problems with it.

HUGS!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

Since I'm nearing the end of my rads and since my MO told me he's going to prescribe Arimidex, I just called my insurance company to ask about the manufacturer of the pill they provide (since I read a lot about fillers in some generics causing SEs). Well, hallelujah - they fill the prescription with the real deal, Arimidex. And it's a Tier 1 drug which means I'll have no copay.

Small blessings!

MJ

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

Those of you experiencing dry eye should try putting a very warm moist washrag rolled up over your eyes for about 5 minutes twice a day. If you experience a lot of blurring afterwards, this is a sign that you had clogged glands in your eyelid. You've allowed the oil to be released. These glands release oil that coat the surface of your eyes keeping in moisture. Many people don't really have dry eye, but have clogged glands.

I had blurred eyes from the middle of the night until late afternoon at the worst of my eye problems. After clearing out the clogs in the eyelids, this went away. I only need to do it now occasionally. I no longer wear any eye make up and this has helped also.

• pontiacpeggy

MJ, that's terrific. I think my generic is Tier 2. Still inexpensive.

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

Doxie I never wear eye makeup. And I was not self-diagnosed. But your idea is a good one. I'll stick with what my optometrist and ophthalmologist told me to use.

HUGS!

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754

Tappermom that's fantastic. I'm getting the real arimidex as well though I pay a 45 dollar fee for it. Well worth it if you ask me.

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

I have tried the Systane, but it seemed to make my vision blurry too, which is what I'm trying to avoid. Believe me, my tear glands/ducts are not clogged! The last few days they have been washed out numerous times. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to try them and see which ones help most.

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270

Yall got me wondering how much my copay would be for Brand Arimidex..:)

• kira1234

Nayda check with them

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270

I am tmrw...when I go to work...if its affordable I too will be taking the Brand:)

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

You can also go to their website, get a card, you pay $30 a month. No insurance involved.

• shortcake42
    shortcake42 Member Posts: 14

I went to my local pharmacy. I get a three month supply of anastrazole for $22.65, including tax. I shopped around. I even saw it as high as $145 for one month.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

I can't get name brand through my insurance. I order name brand directly from Eagle Pharmacy for 30$ for 30 pills. I have no SEs to speak of so far.

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

I'm on Medicare Part D and my Arimidex copay is $6.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

mltdd, I stopped a week ago and my hands are starting to feel a little better, I see my mo's nurse practitioner next week and will see what happens... my sister took tamoxifen and stopped after about 8 months, she is a 23 yr. surviver

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

I started the TEVA brand this morning. I really appreciate the insights shared on this forum.

Will let everyone know if this brand is better.

Coach Vicky

• shortcake42

Has anyone got any advice on insomnia? So far, this is the only severe SE I have been experiencing. On weekends, I take doxylamine succinate, an over the counter sleep aid, and melatonin during the week. If I use either one too long, they don't work, I have to get more than 2 hours of sleep at night so I can work. Diphenhydramine doesn't work at all. I am really leary of prescription sleeping pills as I don't want to get hooked on them and I have 4 and a half years on anastrazole left.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

Best of luck Vicky. One day and one pill at a time.Heart

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451

Haven't posted on here in awhile. Just wondering if anyone has heard the theory that hormone positive cancer has a much higher rate of late recurrence than hormone negative cancer? I read an article written by a doctor last night very clearly stated that. The 5 year recurrence rate is low but after that, the chances of the cancer coming back get higher and higher as time goes by whether we are on a hormone blocker or not. This has me scared to death. I'm sure I share everyone's feelings that I absolutely do not want to have this experience again. I'll be talking to my oncologist about this when I see her next week. Thoughts?

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer! Tomorrow I start 2 months of various follow up appointments. My diagnosis was last July so these are for the one year follow up. Getting nervous! But I'm happy to report that after being on anastrazole for 3 months now I have had no major problems. Insomnia at first but I now take it in the morning so no problem. I occasionally take Claritin for aches and pains which may or may not be from the anastrazole.

• kira1234

Seq24 we need some facts on that. I'm aware some types of breast cancer are resulting in excellent results with current treatments

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

Shortcake42 I wish I could help you. My MO told me that sleep aids don't really help with this side effect. I last 9 months on 2 hours sleep. Other issues began to creep in and I just had to stop. I just wanted to die. I messed up so much stuff with my business it will be a while till I clean it all up. I to go to work every day. I tried Femara and I had even more side effects. My quality of life was 0. I had a talk with the head of the cancer unit and I am going to try to lose weight and tone up to reduce the amount of estrogen my body makes. Since I am about 35 pounds over weigh he said it would be the next best thing. The drugs aren't a 100% guarantee but are a little better choice but I need to be able to live life.

• kira1234

Shortcake42 could you try tamoxifen? I know I slept much better on it.

• seq24

Kira--this was just in an article I read last night. This was news to me as I had just gotten percentages from my MO of recurrence. Nothing relating to this was ever mentioned. I was pretty excited about my prognosis, now I'm not so sure. All I know is that I never want to have this experience again.

Shortcake--My AI gave me insomnia too at first. I was ready to call it quits after about a month. I was taking it about 6 pm. My MO suggested taking it in the morning which has helped a lot. She also said that I could take Ativan occasionally to sleep but I refuse to take that. It made me feel awful when I had to take it through chemo and I'm not about to take it now. I still have nights where I don't sleep much and it is hard to work the next day. I take a non habit forming sleep aid sometimes (same ingredient as Benadryl) and it usually helps, but still there are days.......

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
  • Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705

it was a very interesting read focusing on what happens after 5 or even 10 years of anti-hormone therapy. I'm guessing they didn't have any sub analysis of women who chose LX vs MX. I'd want to know that data too to see if any difference. Long term data like this will be important as younger women are diagnosed and treated.

• shortcake42

I have been on AI for 8 months. The insomnia started that first week and is still with me. The onc said no tamoxifen as anastrazole would work better for me and was a lot cheaper. Since that was the only SE, I think I'll work with it. my pcp told me to use the melatonin that dissolved under your tongue. It does seem to help, I am up to 4 to 5 hours of sleep as long as I don't take either the melatonin or the otc sleep aid for too many days in a row. Thanks. :)

• seq24

Lula--No that is not the article I read but this pretty much confirms the data. This is very scary to me. I had one positive node and a Ki-67 score of 33. I thought I had a pretty good prognosis, but maybe not so much now.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416

Coach Vicky, I called today to ask about switching to Teva, and they said no problem, we will have it ready tomorrow. I am so excited to see if the achiness and general malaise goes away. Thanks to everyone who helped me to make that call

• kira1234

That is a depressing article Lyla. I'm wondering how much the additional 5 years will help.