Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416

Taco1946, I too, am taking Accord, but when I looked up the fillers, they are the same as the Teva brand. Thank you,Kira1234, for the link! I am lactose and gluten intolerant so have been trying to find the list of ingredients.

Edited to add: I had to switch to liquid Tamoxifen as I had shortness of breath with the pills. I can only assume it was the fillers, as I tolerated the liquid quite well

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

Peregrinela, That is what the say but I had an acute allergic reaction to the accord brand,burning/tingling in my tongue, throat and lips after about two days. I did not have that with any other brand. I think that sometimes not everything is reported accurately.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416

Interesting. I think I will cross check fillers in Tamoxifen and Arimidex. I am having shortness of breath again, although not as severe as when on Tamoxifen, and suspect a common filler. BTW, I suggested liquid Tamoxifen to my oncologist from reading about it here. He said, "Oh, I have a sample of that here in the office." It worked well until I had a blood clot after stage 2 of reconstruction surgery. Luckily, I had my ovaries out at the same time as the first surgery, so can take an AI. Funny what we are thankful for.

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270

I have a question ladies that have been on this med a while now...is it okay to drink wine while on ..this med?

I don't see my ONC til Aug.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Nayda, I drink wine regularly and so do many if the gals taking AI's. As long as there isn't another reason for abstaining, enjoy!

Hugs!

• nayda985

Ty Pontiac!

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

Hi Nayda.

From what I understand, if one had Estrogen receptor BC, then drinking alcohol not ideal as it increases circulating estrogen in blood. If you do drink, best to do so with every now and then. I did a bunch of research about it when diagnosed year ago and decided to stop-- especially since my tumor was high estrogen percentage. I did enjoy my wine so never thought I could do it but honestly I've never looked back as I feel like it's one of the things I can do in my life to keep cancer away. Here's one of many recent articles about it:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/1705...

cheers.

• nayda985

Ty for the article jp...the breast cancer I had fed fastly on my estrogen.

• jpBCfree
    jpBCfree Member Posts: 72

Me too. Another benefit of no alcohol is that I've never felt or looked better...especially my skin.

• shortcake42
    shortcake42 Member Posts: 14

My onc said one or two glasses a week of red wine would be good.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

I like that advice, shortcake! I never have more than that anyway. And it's something my DH and I enjoy together.

MJ

• nayda985

I think until I can talk to my MO in August face to face...I am going to just wait until the weekend to have my wine...My job can be stressful sometimes..so during the week I will have a glass of wine to destress and go to bed....after reading that article it's saying that will not be good for my case..😭ha

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

I agree that eliminating alcohol in hormone positive BC is a good idea!

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

To drink or not drink alcohol is a personal choice. I'm 95% estrogen positive. From what I've read alcohol is a risk factor. Giving up my Chardonnay was and is difficult for me. It was my stress reliever. However, health wise it's better for my blood pressure if I don't drink. I have more energy and my GERD symptoms are so much better. Do I miss it? Yes! I bought some 6oz bottles which is one "allowable glass. On special occasions I'll have one glass. The toughest part is getting my family and friends use to my non drinking but it's pretty much accepted now and they don't push it. All and all it's a small price to pay if I can keep the BC beast away. Exercising daily as well. We all have to do what's right for us. Love and support to all.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

You can call me cynical if you like but I drink less then once a month, I breast fed, I exercised, and I ate well, have no family history of breast cancer, and was under weight until menopause, and I still got breast cancer. I look at these articles as increasing potential risk factors. They are not necessarily the cause. I think it is important to balance our lives not stop living them. Reducing alcohol intake in general is a good idea.

• butterfly1234

Excellent points! We don't know how our biological make up is affected or not affected by internal and external factors. Hopefully some day we will have more definitive answers.

• mltdd
    mltdd Member Posts: 45

Has anyone taken a break from arimidex? I've gained so much weight and would like to stop for a while to see if I can lose some pounds. I don't see my MO for another month and would like to not have to buy new clothes for the summer.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I've been off 3 months. Probably will be permanent. Haven't lost any weight. I feel 100% better, all se have improved. MO won't be happy.

Was on it about 5 years.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, last time I looked it was YOUR body and you have the right to decide what to do with it. I'm sure you've told your MO about your SEs. I do understand your decision.

HUGS!

• Goincrzy8
    Goincrzy8 Member Posts: 79

Nayday I asked my MO from day 1 that question and she said a glass of wine is fine. Like everything else don't overdue. I have been enjoying mine at least once a week.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

I enjoy the occasional glass of wine, wine spritzer or sparkling wine 1 or 2 times a week. Also, the occasional nip of Chambord in my coffee, on weekends only (have to go to the office Mon-Fri). I believe in all things in moderation, nothing to excess.

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

Brutersmom: AMEN! I don't intend to stop living ABC, so that will include the occasional cocktail. Have MAYBE one a week, but will probably curtail the daily one when we're in Florida for the month of February. That's a lot of sugar feeding any potential cancer. I often wonder what I did to get cancer, but am reminded that it's futile being that there are so many things that could contribute. And sometimes, it just happens.

mltdd: Have you called your MOs office and spoke to someone about your side effects and going off Arimidex? The nurses in my MOs office are so available and willing to talk and take concerns to the MO when I have them. I stopped taking Femara because of insomnia and hip pain. I was supposed to start Arimidex today, but I forgot!!! I have now prorammed reminders into my phone.

• nayda985

Nancy....I had to download medicine reminder app on my phone...b/c I would totally forget to take it...this is the first time I have had to take a medicine every single day.

Like all of you said ...all things in moderation...so I gotta bite the bullet and cut back...which is fine..when I did chemo for 6 months I didn't drink at all...so it's okay.. 1 to 2 glasses a week is cool😎

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Hi everyone....of course we have to make our own informed decisions about any lifestyle change! Just my opinion that alcohol and hormone positive BC don't mix. Good luck to all.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

yeah Peg, you're right. He wanted me to try tamoxifen. I wasn't thrilled but got it filled. The nausea was worse than chemo. He says I need protection as I was such high risk.

I'm leaning towards doing nothing. He's really gonna have to talk hard to convince me.

Doing ok after the big move

• chemicalworld
    chemicalworld Member Posts: 48

I found that the ER+/alcohol conversations really clouded the information I was looking for when starting this drug. It is extremely difficult to find out whether there is an actual drug interaction.

• pontiacpeggy

My MOs (both the one in Michigan and the one here in Spokane) have said my daily glass of wine is just fine. For me this works. Each of us has to make our own decisions on this.

There's a forum on BCO about drinks and drinking that's lively and fun. How About Drinking.

HUGS!

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754

Chemicalworld as far as I can tell no drug interactions.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

I am doomed.

I drink wine.

I am out in the sun.

Yes, I enjoy an occasional cigar.

I eat grilled meat.

I did all the "right" things before BC and I am not missing out on ANYTHING now. LOL!

Coach Vicky

• butterfly1234

Vicky - you're my kind of gal lol! Loopy