Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

LeesaD, it isn't effectiveness that is the issue. AIs whether brand name or generic are effective. What CAN be a problem for some women are the fillers used by each manufacturer. Of the generics, Teva, seems to have fewer issues with fillers. And the fillers can cause all sorts of SEs. If generic cause a problem (and remember, not everyone has a SEs from Arimidex!!), perhaps the brand name will be tolerated better. Or perhaps one of the other AIs. Also, every new problem that crops up when you start taking anastrozole is caused by it. Something totally unrelated could be the problem. Give it a try and perhaps, like me, you won't have any problems.

HUGS!

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    Thank you so much for all the information Butterfly1234 and PontiacPeggy! Hoping for little to no side effects 🙏! I've been stressing over the AI's even moreso than I did prior to chemo and radiation both of which I tolerated well. Thanks again! XO
  • lunderwood
    lunderwood Member Posts: 31

Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing your own experiences! Wow I can't believe that Arimidex direct offers the same meds for $90/90 days that I would pay over $1,400 for through my insurance. This does give me an option to try the name brand. I am waiting to hear back from my oncologist as to the next steps. I will keep you posted.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

Try to take it one pill and one day at a time.!Heart

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270

Like that Butterfly:)

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

My first month on anastrozole, my pharmacist gave me Teva. When I refilled, she gave me Accord. I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Fortunately, I don't notice any difference. No SEs with either except for more dry eye than usual and foggy brain.Due for another refill - we'll see what happens!

MJ

• NoWhyToIt
    NoWhyToIt Member Posts: 15

After 3 years on Anastrazole have seen leg pain--bone and muscle. I only take Teva as had an allergic reaction to others . I have not missed a day. It's manageable.

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192

So since May when I started Arimidex, I have had few side effects really.

Bladder issues, some pain in my back which is relieved by exercise, headaches and insomnia. When I first started I felt nauseous but that passed within a few weeks. Until now. For the last week, I have had nausea, and dizziness .Also headaches. I did have a CT scan for my headaches, but it was normal.

So, can these side effects appear with Arimidex over time - the nausea and dizziness that is? I know these are side effects listed.

Anyone else experience this?

wallan

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Wallan...so sorry you are experiencing SEs from Arimidex. The answer is yes. You can get more or different SEs as time goes on. Of course they also can get better. Everyone is different. Good luck to all.
  • ComputerGal
    ComputerGal Member Posts: 3

Previous to starting on Tamoxifen last year, found out I had gallstones. Not real bad, but Tamoxifen increases them by 37.4 % by year 5, so went off that, then tentively switched to Arimidex. But I had to go off that for more surgery three weeks ago. Honestly, I am terrified to go back on it again. Not just the side effects I had which were migraines on a near daily basis & gagging coughing in fits during the day, but I saw the results of the studies & know that there are more fractures & bone thinning on this medication. This runs in my family & I have really bad osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis & spondyleothesis. Even tho, I exercise daily, I have a lot of inflamnation, so I don't know if the pain that I feel is my osteoarthritis getting worse or the Arimidex. I guess I'm just afraid of everything now.
  • Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

Tappermom: I just had the same experience! I have been on Teva for 3 months, went and picked up my scrip today and it's Accord. I started to panic, and decided to come on this site once again....good to see you aren't having any more SEs. I, however, AM having bad hip pain on one side as well as stiffness in my hand joints. This is all BEFORE I've taken any Accord. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Are any of you successful in requesting ONLY Teva from the pharmacy?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Sure. Every time I need a refil I go in person and tell the person it MUST be from Teva. When I pick it up, I say again is that from Teva, and refuse to accept it until they check. I've caught them a few times.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

I got the NDC code for my Teva Tamoxifen and i just speak with the pharmacist directly and tell them I require a specific brand of my medicine and I give them the number. They order it for me every time.

• hippiegirl
    hippiegirl Member Posts: 12

Hi My Sisters,

Here's some interesting information about aromatase inhibitors. Hope it helps.

HeartHippie Girl

http://www.targetedonc.com/news/expert-discusses-duration-patient-selection-for-adjuvant-endocrine-therapy-in-breast-cancer

• butterfly1234

Thank you Hippie Girl ThumbsUp

• hippiegirl
    hippiegirl Member Posts: 12

You're very welcome, Butterfly Heart

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

nancy just wondering how yoir doing ? As you started this forum 5 years ago...

Mamao

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

My scrip is with Walgreens & it is always TEVA.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

my script is at Walgreens too. MO has written on it Teva brand. Have caught them a few times trying to slip something else.

Always check.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

To 1957-2057 Just ordered the Ginger cubes. Hoping to get the same relief you found. Started anastrozole in late April 2017, joint stiffness almost immediate, in hands, left thumb and right ring finger. Quit taking it about 2 weeks ago, stiffness still there, also notice in other fingers. Planning on switching to another AI. Have been taking Curcumin for several years and now have added turmeric to diet as well. Turmeric/Curcumine helps, but not enough. Exercise helps as well.

2009 Dx 51 yrs; LEFT; ER+, lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen 5 years. Did not notice SE from Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen Rx'd even though I was post-menopausal, that DR had more confidence in Tamoxifen.

2016 DX 58 yrs, Left, probably a different cancer but do not know. Lumpy dense left breast, normal right. TC 4 doses, bi-lateral, my choice, Aromatose Inhib/anastrozole rx by DR for 5 years.

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

CeliaC, I get my scrip from Walgreens too and it's always been Teva. This time, I noticed it said Accord. I took the first one today. I'll have to keep tabs on it. But I've had terrible sacro-iliac pain on the right side for several weeks. So, I'm not sure I'll notice!!!

• pollicakes
    pollicakes Member Posts: 8

I was on anastrazole and for 3 months and the generic for aromasin for 1 month, the side effects of both are unbearable.  I am going on the brand name of anastrazole which is Arimidex.......has anyone experienced side effects on the generic and then fared better on the brand names?

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336

coachvickey said AI generics were unbearable she had to switch to brand name which made her ton a lot better

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336

Pollicake,

I am going straight to brand name for the same reason. Arimidex has treacerous price tag, Have you tried Arimidexdirect.com? Supposedly $1 per day,

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Castigame Yes, the 2 generics I tired were brutal.

I can hardly tell I have side effects with the brand name. My insurance is covering most of the cost since I could not tolerate the generics and had documented all my side effects in an Excel Spreadsheet for my Oncologist to reference.

I have an occasional hot flash that is mild. I have trigger fingers but one got better, one I had before diagnosis, and the new one isn't that bad. The only consistent side effect I have had is swelling in my hands and feet. I take a diuretic and a potassium supplement daily.

I think it goes this way ... Give some sort of proof you can not handle the generics. I figure my insurance knows the brand will considerably lower my chances for recurrence and paying for the brand name is a lot cheaper that paying for a second cancer.

To insure that I will get the brand name (despite a note being in my records at my mail order pharmacy), I spoke to one of the pharmacists. She entered my data that I was "allergic" to the generic. She said this was their protocol to ensure my refills would have to have a second look my the "allergy pharmacist" before being dispensed.

I hope this helps, pollicakes

Coach Vicky

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

thanks for those tips coach

• butterfly1234

I'm on name brand and doing relatively ok. I did take my first Claritin today and it's really helped with my joint pain.

• Barbmak
    Barbmak Member Posts: 31

I started at Walgreens in July and asked for Teva. Minimal SE. When I called for refill I asked for it again- it doesn't seem to be a problem getting that brand, but I think we still have to be vigilant. I already have finger joint pain with osteoarthritis and I may have a little more than usual but it's not debilitating.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587

Hi, I came off 5 years of Zoladex for Ovary suppression and my bloods have now come back pre-menopausal. I am supposed to stop my Arimidex, but everytime I try I get massive migraines and vomiting. Has anyone had this?

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353

It is 5 years today that I started taking Anastrozole, but I am on the 10 year or more plan! Through the years my SEs have greatly decreased. In the beginning it was hard to walk or get out of bed. I would cry if I had to walk a block the joint pain was so intense. I would also cry as I walked down my steps quite frequently the pain was so bad. But I really had no choice other than to stick it out. I'm so glad I did. My joint pain has subsided probably 75%. And with the 25% left, not sure if I can blame it all on the drug since I am now 5 years older!

TEVA always works the best for me as well, but I cannot always get it. Walgreens only carries it half the time. And because I have to pay my own scripts, I had to change to COSTCO because of their cheaper prices. COSTCO told me yesterday when I picked up my 3 month script to call ahead and request TEVA, as this time I got Accord. Time has seemed to help as well with other manufacturers. In the first few years, the differences of SEs were greatly different. That has subsided as occasionally I get some off-beat manufacturer.

When I last told my MO that my SEs had improved so much, he immediately repeated a blood test to make sure they were still working! They were!