Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Mstein1970
    Mstein1970 Member Posts: 11

Thanks to Wised, thecargirl and dtad for your advice. I'm seeing my MO soon, and will discuss the possibility of going off the Arimidex for a limited period. In the meantime, my neurologist is doing tests. As usual, my ANA titer is very high, which is not unusual for me and indicates systemic inflammation.

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

I am having fewer SE's on femora than on arimidex. Hair is thinning. New medication to try to ease the hot flashes so I can wear a wig. I take non-D claritin in the morning and benadryl at night. Joint pain is better than pre BC.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Taco, I don't know about you but I'm so glad I can take both Claritin AND Benadryl. Claritin doesn't help my allergies and Benadryl doesn't help the stiffness. Glad femara is working for you. So hard to tell what goes with normal aging and which goes with the AI's.

HUGS!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Didn't spot this anywhere on this thread but do apologize if it's already been shared. It seems exciting to me!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/sabcs/76814?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2018-12-10&eun=g429290d0r&pos=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Headlines%202018-12-10&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_Active

My doctor was at this conference last week. We'd planned on me being on the extended therapy for 7.5 years and then see what the research showed. Now we know. Stay on therapy at least 10 years as long as my bones hold out. Dexa last month showed a little improvement from last year so am good to go.

• pontiacpeggy

Golden, did you notice that the participants had taken Tamoxifen first? That doesn't seem to be in line with what happens here to postmenopausal women. My MO says I am very low risk and more than 5 years of Arimidex is not needed and could be harmful to my bones etc. So come October, unless something changes, no more AI.

HUGS!

• monarch777
    monarch777 Member Posts: 338

does your MOs have you on daily calcium and D for bone health

• pontiacpeggy

No calcium for me - I don't tolerate it. I take Fosamax and Vit D3.

HUGS

• Golden01

I was on Tamoxifen for 2.5 years before switching to anastrozole. I take 2,000 IU of Vitamin D but no supplemental calcium as my intake from dairy is 1,000+ mg a day. I do have osteopenia so we do Dexa scans once a year (most recent one showed a little continued improvement) and I receive Prolia shots every six months. Insurance does pay the full amount as I have osteopenia and take anastrozole (MD had to document multiple factors for it to be approved). My Breast Cancer Index test at 5 years showed I am a low responder to the AI and at low risk for recurrence. My MO feels that "low" does not mean "no" so that as long as my bones are all right, I'll stay on the AI. Except when I can't get the Teva generic, I don't really have any side effects so I concur with my MO.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370

Golden01, what does it mean you are a low responder and how is that detected?

I keep wanting to know if Anastrazole is working

• Golden01

Breast Cancer Index is a genomic test done at about the five year mark after diagnosis.It is done on the tissue that was removed during your original biopsy or surgery. https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/type...

For me, my cancer hasn't come back so my anastrazole is working. Taking that pill every morning makes me feel like I am doing something to keep it away.

• bella2013

Is that any different than Oncotype DX

• Golden01

Yes. Totally different test. Oncotype assesses likelihood of chemotherapy benefiting you so is used in determining initial treatment. Breast Cancer Index is used to assess risk of reoccurrence down the road (done at 5 years or so). This link has a good summary at the bottom of the page on the different genomic tests - https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/breast-cancer-index-test

• Golden01

Any one having trouble getting the Teva generic for anastrozole? My pharmacy says it is simply not available until the end of January. They said the brand name version is no longer being manufactured. I get bad joint pain on the Accord generic so they are ordering me a 30-day supply from another company. I'll post the name when I pick up the prescription.

• pontiacpeggy

Golden. I am having a problem getting Teva anastrozole too. My Walgreen's said it would be available by the end of December. I, of course, will run out before then, so I accepted anastrozole made by Apotex (in Sweden I think). I'll let you know if I have a problem with it. I haven't investigated brand name Arimidex so wouldn't know anything. Fingers crossed!

HUGS!

• Golden01

I did use Arimidex for 30 days one time when I couldn't get the Teva generic. Thought joint pain was a little more but not too bad. Fingers crossed for all of us!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Gokden01- I had problems getting TEVA brand from CVS in Albany, NY. They said it was back ordered thru January. I called other local CVS and found it on their shelves.

As a snowbird I'm in Florida now. Before I run out I'll check local CVS and try to get it lined up. Otherwise I have Accord brand to take - it makes my hands and wrists hurt bad.

We're at their mercy. Best of luck to you.

• Golden01

CVS checked the other stores in our area, none had it. Glad you found it! Also, it helps to know that I'm not the only one in this spot.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Bella, there is a Breast Cancer Index thread that might give your more information. BCI is specifically to see who would benefit from 5 more years of antihormonals.
  • bella2013

Thanks for all the information😊

• Golden01

ThumbsUp

ThumbsUp

• kkhalle
    kkhalle Member Posts: 6

I have been on Airmidex for eight years. My onc told me I could stop taking it. One month after stopping I got my period. Now I am terrified that my cancer will come back. I do have an appointment with my gynecologist. I am now seriously thinking about having my ovaries removed. Just a note, I did get my period 3 years ago while taking Airmidex. Has anybody had the same thing happened to them

• Golden01

Picked up my new generic anastrozole tonight. A 30-day supply and is made by a company called Zydus. My fingers are crossed that I won't get joint pain like I do when I take the Accord generic. Has anyone used this brand? I really appreciate the fellow at CVS that went above and beyond to find me an alternative when the Teva brand wasn't available.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Yes, a good pharmacy tech is golden. I’ve got a good one at Walmart helping me with another med. he may get some Christmas cookies!!!

• MickeyB17
    MickeyB17 Member Posts: 103

Golden - I have Zydus for about 6 weeks and noticed some increased aches and pain - but it was also getting colder and I wasn't exercising as much. . Because I had some anastrazole Teva left, I switched back to see if there was a difference. I haven't really noticed much of a change, but will be going back to Zydus in January and will monitor if I notice any increase in symptoms.I did reduce my work hours and am exercising more as well. Point is it's been tolerable and exercise really helps!

• Golden01

Agree on how much we appreciate good pharmacy techs! Also, agree that exercise makes a real difference. I'll need to keep moving over the holidays to be sure I can tell what effect the new brand might be having. Would be good to have two manufacturers to choose from.

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396

Hi Everyone-

Trying to sift through all of the last few months of posts. I stopped Tamoxifen 2 days ago, and took my first Anastrozole (by Accord) this morning. I had hot flashes, and barely any joint pain on Tamoxifen and was comfortable on it. Now I feel foggy, nauseated, and was just crying for no reason?! It's only been 1/2 a day lol, but wanted to know if I should switch to night time for taking the pill, just power through it and my body will adjust? Those that are taking claritin, are you taking generic for a reason or can you take regular claritin?

Thanks everyone....

• pontiacpeggy

I always take my anastrozole in the morning. I would be surprised if you had SEs so quickly but, of course, anything is possible. Could you have a bad case of nerves? Worrying about taking it?

When I first started anastrozole some women said that it kept them awake at night. So I started in the morning. Of course, now some have problems in the morning. Whatever works for you is just fine.

There's no difference between brandname and generic REGULAR (not D) Claritin except the price. I see no reason to spend money unnecessarily on the brandname.

Good luck!

HUGS!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

When I started Anastrozole, I did have several weird side effects, although not in half a day, so maybe nerves, like PontiacPeggy says? In any case, every side effect got a LOT better in a few weeks. My doctor said "hang in there and give it time," and my body adjusted.

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396

Thank you! Like another woman happened to post (but unrelated to this drug since I just started it)- I've got this rib pain that my Dr checked out yesterday- most likely pulled something but maybe it's adding to my issues lol. I appreciate the feedback everyone!

• BlessedOne2
    BlessedOne2 Member Posts: 17

Hello,  it has been a very long while since I've logged on. I  have found the posts to still be interesting to me.   I took Anastrozole for 8 years and overall the side effects very tolerable or I just dealt with them (i.e. night sweats, achy joints upon rising and recently noticed  that the longer my hair grew the thinner I noticed it to be.)  I also developed a syncope type syndrome (sudden drop in BP which lasts about 5-10 minutes with extreme lightheadedness( but not losing consciousness) and then back to normal just as fast.  All cardio tests have consistently come back normal. This started happening about 4 years ago.  It would happen most often when preparing to board a flight or onboard a flight.  On two occasions I was not traveling.  It is very spontaneous and the only warning is at onsight with heat rising from my waist traveling upward at the same time I'm becoming more and more lightheadedness and slumping in a seat.   

An interventional cardiologist suggested I wear compression socks on next flight.   I did and did not have this experience.   I cannot say if the sock helped or not. 

Has anyone else experienced something like this?