Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198

I'm not sure if the anastrazole is contributing to my neuropathy, because I've had it since chemo, 3 years ago.It has gotten worse, not better since then. I take those vitamins, also use the CBD oil, it helps a little bit. I take Gabapentin too. Gradually up to 600mg a.m. 900mg. P.m, I didn't think it was helping til I quit using it. My hands and feet got so much worse, I went back on it.Like I'm wearing socks and gloves made of biting ants!😄Also Cymbalta helps some, but not me.I flex and stretch my hands all the time to keep them from stiffening up.

• mielli
    mielli Member Posts: 33

Hello all, I am new here. I was diagnosed 4 days before Christmas 2017, started letrozole on 3/23/18, after surgery and accelerated partial breast radiation (via SAVI). Because of persistent joint/bone pain on letrozole, my med onc asked me to start anastrozole after a 10 day break. I really wanted to stay on letrozole and manage side effects as I had been. He told me when he prescribed it originally that it reduced recurrence or metastasis better than the other 2 AI's ("slightly," he said today). Also, I have heard many say that the side effects are similar on all, so I'm not wanting to try a different one. But, I will review previous posts on this site to see if I can find others who switched from letrozole to anastrozole, and see what their experiences have been. Best to all ...

• wised
    wised Member Posts: 184

Hi callikelly, thanks for your input. I started 100mg last night and the angry biting ants 🐜 were slightly less active.. I'm probably going to take gabapentin, sigh. Love the biting ants analogy!

• wised

Mielli, all of the AI's are similar. My MO wants me to stay on Anastrazole because he thinks it is "the best one", lol. The one that works for you with the least number of side effects is "the best one". You have to live with it and take it daily for five years, at least.

• ReddSkyy
    ReddSkyy Member Posts: 1

Hi, I have been taking Arimidex for almost 4 years (after my second case of BC). I use a product called Biostrong available on Amazon and has actually reversed my osteoporosis (and have friends who have gotten similar results). The package dose says 2 per day but I only took 1 and have to admit I skipped a few days. I’m prone to side effects but I found this to be body friendly. You cannot take at the same time as you take Calcium and leg cramps may occur. I also found it should not be taken on an empty stomach. Hope this helps.

• mielli
    mielli Member Posts: 33

Thank you, DWiseley. I agree with you about all of the AI's having similar side effects. That's why I didn't want to change. I'm an RN, and I always research any new diagnosis or treatment for myself or my family. I feel that doctors may be trying for the placebo effect when they prescribe another similar med. But he insisted. I tried to talk him out of it. He had a rather lame comparison, though. "Some people like Pepsi; others like Coke. Maybe your body will like Arimidex better than Femara." (Insert eye roll.) I'll see what happens. It feels strange to be off my Femara/letrozole for 10 days, after religiously taking it every 24 hours since 3/23/18. He said I'll be feeling great and "jumping up and down" by Thanksgiving (7 days off). We'll see; I hope so! : )

• wised

Mielli,I hope you feel better off of it!

I've started taking gabapentin for the neuropathy and the angry bees have subsided. It's so much easier to have a positive outlook when my hands feel ok. I'm a hand spinner and knitter and NEED to knit to stay calm.

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599

I've been on Gabapentin for my herniated disks for about 8 years and I do think it helps with the neuropathy. I also had no pain whatsoever when I had my BMX last year and often wonder how big a role the Gabapentin played in that.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

Great suggestions here! Also chiming in to welcome our new member ReddSkyy. Thank you all for sharing such valuable information and your experiences!

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

I certainly don't agree that all the AI's are the same! There has also been some discussion to this thread that the manufacture even makes a difference because they use different "fillers." I took anastrozole for 7 months and switched to letrozole. On the former I was getting frequent all day headaches and I was really "a bitch." Everything set me off. Much calmer now and few headaches although I did take a 2 week break last month. My hot flashes have continued and my hair is thinning although my stylist reminded me that my mother was practically bald when she died. I have some joint pain but I am also over 70. I still have all my original joints which is more than many of my friends can say. I have taken glucousimin and chrondoton (my spell check doesn't know those words) and Calcium with Vitamin D for years and have continued. I also think the generic claritin that I started while on taxol continues to help. I haven't done much about my diet but have upped my exercise enough that my weight has been stable. One AI doesn't fit all and I'm glad that my MO said from the beginning that she would work with me until we found the one that gave me the fewest problems.

• wised

Snickersmom, thanks for your input! My fingertips already feel better and life is good! I'm only taking 200mg @night and 100 in the morning and it is making a difference. I'll bet it made a difference in your pain level after surgery.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207

Taco, I too disagree that all AIs are the same. I am doing better on letrozole, though still agonized over the hair thinning (that was also occurring on the anastrazole). But letrozole doesn't give me the persistent dry eye that the anastrazole did. Not much else to note, but there are times that I consider quitting altogether over the hair issue, as well as the bone thinning (have osteopenia) and other risks. It's a battle to make myself take the pills.

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39

Snickersmom- you may have figured this out already, but anastrozole is generic Arimidex.

Walgreens said they didn't have Teva brand last time and gave me Accord. Within a couple of days I could tell a difference in stiffness in my legs. I am either going to demand Teva brand from them or switch to name brand Arimidex.

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39

CindyNY- interesting, I haven't read this whole thread yet, so you could have addressed this since then.

I have requested from Walgreens the TEVA brand. Last time they gave me Accord, I didn't think to check the pills. I definetly have issues with the Accord ones, but your post makes it sound like it might be hard to verify the correct pill. Why do things have to change?????

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I have not had any problems getting the Teva brand generic from Walgreens. tnd22, the fillers are often the problem with the different manufacturers of generic anastrozole. When I first started 4 years ago, this problem was being discussed here so I demanded Teva. Aside from hair loss (which I already was experiencing) not much in the way of SEs. Most can be attributed to being 73. I also take generic regular Claritin to help with stiffness and it helps. My PCP said I could take Benedryl at the same time as Claritin, which is good since Claritin doesn't work on my allergies at all.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I also had trouble getting Teva from Walgreens. I checked before I left, and refused to accept them or pay for them unless it was Teva. They can get it. They are just sloppy. Yes, it’s a PITA to remember to do it, but it’s worth it so you don’t feel any worse than you have to.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Caremark said they can't fill TEVA Anestrozole. They offered several other brands. I said no. They sent me to local CVS, where they checked and said they're backordered on TEVA brand until January!

For now I'm trying to take a TEVA brand pill one day, and the next day an AHI brand. Who knows! I'm hoping to avoid any different SEs than the ones I currently have.

We leave for FL on 11/30, snowbirds for 6 months. I might just have to live with the AHI brand and hope for the best - maybe less SE than now. (I wish!)

• snickersmom

Cindy - I'm in Florida full-time. Where will you be? I'm in The villages, south of Ocala.

• spookiesmom

I'm next door to Clearwater. For the past 34 years😎.

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

The bottle will tell you who the manufacturer is. Walgreen's wrote in my record that I would only accept Teva. I always refilled several days early so I could refuse it if they didn't. Have to admit that now that I take leprezole instead I haven't noticed the label. Like Peggy, my hair is thinning and I'm having too many hot flashes for an old gal, but my stylist reminded me recently that my mother was almost bald when she died and it probably wasn't entirely the AIs. I do seem to recall that Teva was bought by another pharmaceutical company in the past year which probably is adding to the delay. Arimidex is also available from the manufacturer for $30.00 a month. Someone will give you the site if you want to try that.

• Goldfish4884
    Goldfish4884 Member Posts: 57

Several people say they use Claritin to help with the bone pain and stiffness from aromatase inhibitors. Just wondering if using Zyrtec would be the same.

• pontiacpeggy

Goldfish, they are not interchangeable. Regular Claritin though - NOT "D". I always use the generic version from Walmart. Taco and I have pretty much the same experience. BTW, I just told Walgreens to refill my Rx. My MO needs to renew it so it will be a few days before I see if I get Teva. But I got Teva in August and assume I'll get it again this time. My generic Fosamax was changed to a different manufacturer. I haven't noticed any change except the new one is easier to get the packaging open. It's like breaking into Fort Knox.

HUG!

• thrdage
    thrdage Member Posts: 10

I think I've already posted this once, but again, everyone should take note!! I'm getting a Anastrazole through my online Blink contract for $10 a month! Go to Blink online & follow their step-by-step instructions & pick up meds at your local pharmacy. It's easy & it works. I'm 75 & low-income so I had to search for the MOST affordable option. I take 5 prescribed meds & Blink is saving me approx $30/mo.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Snickersmom - we're in Fort Myers, down I-75 off exit 136. We've had snow here in upstate NY, Albany. Last year we stayed here through my rads and final release in February. I can't wait for sunshine, and more outdoor activity.

Thrdage- I may check out Blink, nothing to lose by looking. Thanks!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

FATIGUE QUESTION

I'm on Anastrozole. At Day 10 (yesterday) I suddenly had huge fatigue. No other explanation; I think it's this medication. Any stories about when fatigue hit you, and how long it lasted? I've read (here on this forum and elsewhere) that some side effects recede over time. I have been taking the pill in the a.m., but am considering changing to evening, in case that helps me not feel so slow in the daytime. Would Claritin help with this?

• snickersmom

CindyNY - We are in The Villages, just south of Ocala by about 35 minutes. Let me know if you get up my way! It is gorgeous down here now, so you will having great weather when you get here. We are off Exit 329, just after the Okahumpka Rest Area.

• pontiacpeggy

Hope all you Florida ladies can get together. Meeting up with BCO friends is the best! And putting faces to the names we are so familiar with is very nice.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Yes it is nice. I’ve met about 9–10 ladies from BCO over the years.

• cali58
    cali58 Member Posts: 92

Hi everyone! I just want to share my experience with Anastrozole. I have been taking Anastrozole since August 2017. I started taking Anastrozole manufactured by Apotex from Rite Aid. During the last few months, Rite Aid has been filling my prescription with the pills manufactured by Accord. I didn’t have any major issues when I was taking the Apotex Pills. During the last few weeks I have been having an awful hip joint pain, plus the trigger fingers (2) and finger joint pain I had before. I read some of your posts and decided to order Arimidex name brand. I also ordered Glucosamine pills and chondrointin pills from Theralogix.com, as prescribed by a rheumatologist. I am supposed to take 2 glucosamine in the morning and 2 chondrointin in the evening. I will let you know if I have any improvement. I welcome any advice. Thanks

• apatient
    apatient Member Posts: 2

I’m going to start Arimidex next month (Dec. 2018) after having my implants put in. I’m really nervous.

I’m wondering, does anyone notice any POSITIVE effects from Arimidex? (Other than remaining cancer free, of course). It would be nice to know if anyone’s had any side effects that were posive rather than negative.

Also, what are the top three suggestions you would make to someone who is just starting out on Arimidex?