Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

Been on A's about 18 months. I have both switched AI's and taken a 3 week break. Both seem to cause a "reset" and minimize the SE's. My MO was supportive of both strategies. I had very painful neuropathy with taxol but none with either of the AI's. Good luck in figuring it out. MStein, also check the manufacturer of your drug. It definitely makes a difference (although not all of us do equally well on the same one).

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245

I was taken off anastrazole for severe osteoarthritis after three months. The hot flashes and night sweats were even worse for the first two and a half weeks then subsided thankfully. Now I will find out what meds I will go on again on Friday

• lohoff
    lohoff Member Posts: 45

I have permanent eye damage from taking Arimidex for 14 months, the name brand from Eagle Pharmacy. Now I have to watch out for retinal tears. I have flashing lights and dark spots in my vision off and on all day. My eye doctor wasn't aware of this study.

Here is an NIH study that talks about this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3205820/

I see my oncologist on the 10th. Hopefully she can shed some light on this.

• Goldfish4884
    Goldfish4884 Member Posts: 57

Hi MarieBernice6234-I was on Anastrozole for 7 months, once I stopped it due to severe leg aching it took just 2 weeks for all side effects to disappear, felt like my old self. 

• Careninnj
    Careninnj Member Posts: 9

im starting arimidex next week, does anyone have anything good to say about it? I was on tamoxifen no issues , but im now in menopause so ill start arimidex.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Careninnj, sure. I do. I've been on Anastrozole for 4 years and have few SEs. My hair has thinned some - it already was. I'm sort of creaky in the morning but, again, I already was. REGULAR Claritin definitely helps with that. I take Fosamax along with it to protect my bones. I never had hot flashes with it and didn't have but a few when I went through menopause. Good luck!

HUGS!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

Hi Careninnj --look at the thread (on this site) called Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs) for lots of people's success stories of being on AI's.

Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AI's)

• MickeyB17
    MickeyB17 Member Posts: 103

Careninnj - I've been on anastrazole for 15 months.One good thing happened - psoriasis was reduced by about 90%. Had a lot of it on my legs and was embarrassed to wear shorts or skirts - now you can barely notice it. I am experiencing more hair thinning and I will get aches and pains if I don't exercise - the more I exercise the better it is.Good luck!

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145

PontiacPeggy - I love your motto about everything being not easy/doable!

• pontiacpeggy

Egregious, I had plenty of practice living that prior to BC - being caregiver to my husband. It worked for me. You're welcome to adopt it! <3

HUGS

• egregious

Hi PontiacPeggy,

I will share that. But you get credit!

Hope your path is clear and your heart is full of joy.

egr

• pontiacpeggy

EGR Just saw my MO today - regular 6 month appointment. He's kicking me loose next summer or fall after I finish my 5 years. That's scary in a way.

I also mentioned that I had gotten anastrozole manufactured by a different company that I'll start in a couple weeks. He said he'd be glad to write a new prescription for me if I wind up with SEs from the fillers. That's comforting.

Take care!

HUGS!

• egregious

Hi PontiacPeggy,

Five years coming up - that's great! Sounds like your doctor is on your side.

• pontiacpeggy

Well, still closer to 4 than 5 (next October!). But it is exciting!

• MarieBernice6234
    MarieBernice6234 Member Posts: 125

Hi Goldfish - Thanks for your reply. I thought it might take a while to clear my system. Now it seems like I am having alll kinds of rash like problems. Last night I though I could use some baking soda watered down like a wash in the shower. I don't think it really helped much. I just took a regular shower tonight and came out, dried off etc andmy hands are all red and blotchy. Good thing I am seeing the dermatologist tomorrow. If the doctors had only listened to me months ago when I said the Anastrezole was the probable culprit, I could be all althrough this by now. No, they didn't and it was only through my determination and persistence they it has finally been stopped, but coming off it is horrendous. i made peace with the whole cancer issue much more easily than the fight I have had with the medical system.

• pontiacpeggy

MarieBernice, for your rash, try regular old Benadryl. It can really help with allergic reactions. I used another, now-defunct, antihistamine similar to Benadryl to cope with a horrid reaction to Cipro. It can't hurt and may help. Good luck!!

HUGS!

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

PontiacPeggy,

I too will complete 5 years of Anastrazole in 2019. My MO has been telling me since I started that 5 years will probably be enough. He also has said though that there could be new studies and the recommendation could be to take it longer. As of now it’s looking good for me to stop in June of 2019. It IS a little scary!

• pontiacpeggy

Janett2014 I think it is because we are reassured that things are good every six months. Going without that will be very strange.

HUGS

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147

MarieBernice: My dermatologist gave me a script for Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% for the rash. Somewhat helpful.Happy I am staying on the anastrozole, but I was given a 'holiday' this summer and the medicine was out of my system in 2 weeks.  If you can take Benedryl like PontiacPeggy suggests, that will help.

• MarieBernice6234

Hi Pontiac Peggy -

Hey it has been a while since we last spoke hasn't it. . I wouldn't dare to take the Benedryl by mouth on top of the other medications that I take because iy may make me too drowsy. I have a topical creme that the dermatologist gave me (it is a steriod based type.) It is called Betamethasone Dipropionate. At least it helps some. My medical oncologist said she would start me on a hormone or anti-hormone substance at my next appointment. Why would they start me on hormones - doesn't that usually mean estrogen? Doesn't make sense?

MarieBernice6234

• MarieBernice6234

Hi There -

Yes the dermatologist said it could take a few days to chemically clear itself. The skin, as it has been irritated can take a couple more weeks to settle down, At least though I will notbe adding "more fuel to the fire" though.

MarieBernice6234

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Try the NON drowsey Benadryl. A lot of the ladies here say it helps with joint pain.

Anti hormonals slow or stop estrogen production, which is produced all over your body, not just ovaries. Tamoxifen prevents estrogen from binding to cells, not the production of it.

• pontiacpeggy

SpookiesMom, That's CLARITIN (regular not D) that we take to help with joint pain. Not Benadryl.

How are you doing???

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

MarieBernice, hope everything helps!

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

sorry Peg. After a 5 year battle with Humana and Medicare, I had to admit defeat today. I’m bummed and pi$$ed. Brain is fried.

They will not cover my insulin pump, the system I’ve used since 08. I don’t want a tubed pump, so will be starting multiple daily injections. Never done it.

Keep lurking, Happy Holidays

• pontiacpeggy

Oh shit, Spookie! that's awful. I can't believe they denied you. My heart goes out to you. Take care, Dear Friend!!

HUGS!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Spookiesmom- I hear your frustration. Once you regroup can you contact the maker of the pump directly or a local diabetes association in your area? Sometimes they can help work through or around the system. My step son is 27 and a Type 1 diabetic. I hope in his life time to find a cure.

Best wishes to you!

• spookiesmom

Omnipod site says they are in negotiations with insurance and Medicare. Hasn’t happened yet with Humana. They can be stinkers anyway. Kicked my oncology practice out of network. Tried changing insurance. Nope.

Yes, hope for a cure for T1. Seems they are making progress.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, fingers, toes, eyes, and heart crossed for you! <3

HUGS!

• tld2017
    tld2017 Member Posts: 147

Hello! New to this group. I've been on Arimidex for about 3 1/2 months now and have some discomfort near my rib cage. Not sure if it's muscle or my ribs. I'm concerned about it and wondering if anyone else has experienced similar discomfort. Thank you in advance!