Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134

2Fun --- I have two friends on Prolia -- they have not had any side effects. I already have mild osteoporosis and may be starting an Al soon. I think I'm going to go with the once a week Fosamax because it's been on the market so much longer than Prolia and has a safe history. I don't even want to go on the Al -- will be discussing this with my MO on Monday.

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789

my MO was saying the every 6 month injection was much better in that it reversed the bone loss quicker, compared to the weekly treatment(sorry not using drugnames b/c I can’t remember which is which)

So, I should be taking a bone building drug even if I forego the AI or Tamoxifen? To repair the current damage

• WorryThePooh
    WorryThePooh Member Posts: 378

ajbclan thanks I will look for that board to scroll through, thank you.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625

2FUN RE: which bone med

My MO said that Zometa isn't approved as a bone med for women who have bone loss only (and not also breast cancer), but that it is approved for me, and paid for by my insurance company, as a result.

Zometa is sometimes given as an every-three-months injection. My insurance company approves every 6 months. My MO says that clinical research shows that every six months is just fine.

I will be curious to see what my DEXAScan looks like after a year or two when it's next checked. I'm instructed to also do weight-bearing exercise + Vitamin D + Calcium.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

ive been on Anastrozole Teva brand for 7 years. Its workable. Trigger fingers, muscle aches and joint pain aside. But, I can handle them as I take Tramadol for my arthritic joints, abd who can tell which pain is from what. LOL.. Things still hurt, but not as much.

Much love

• gussy
    gussy Member Posts: 77

I've been on anastrozole for a little over a year and I have a couple of gripes about it. First, I gained about 10 lbs right off the bat. Now my hair is getting thinner by the day in spite of faithful Rogaine use. I go to sleep right away at bedtime but if I have to get up during the night it can be hours before I can doze off again. I have no idea what it's doing to my bones as I won't have a scan until Oct. I nap frequently which I almost never did before. That's about it. Nothing awful but very annoying.

• sdianel
    sdianel Member Posts: 23

I am on Anastrozole. I have bone pain, depression and thinning hair. I switched from morning to evening to take the Anastrozole and that helped. I don't notice the side effects as much. About 6 months ago I started taking CBD because I can't take NSAID's. That has helped so much. My bones don't hurt as much and I'm sleeping much better. I take a CBD gummy mid morning for inflammation and take 1/2 dropper of 300 oil right before bed for pain and to help me sleep. I am concerned about my thinning hair. I emailed the Oncologist and she said just take over the counter hair & nail vitamins??!! Really?? I see someone taking Rogaine but does it really help? It's expensive. Anything else?

• kaylajane
    kaylajane Member Posts: 39

sdianel,

I am just starting anastrozole. Asked my dermatologist friend and she feels rogaine definitely helps, so I'm starting that right away. Figure it might help my hair grow back faster after chemo also.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

My derma said it might help, once you start it, must use forever or you loose hair again. I wasn’t into that.

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

ive used natures bounty. hair skin and nails vitamins. Since finishing chemo april 2017 totally baldimage and ive been taking Arimidex( real deal) since finishing radiation Oct 2017

my hair is a little thin on top but looks fine. I think rogaine may be over the top and doesnt look like healthy stuff

As you can see it came back salt and pepper

And I currently color it

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87

MamaOz….Hi! You look fantastic and you gave me HOPE!! I finished chemo in Feb and my hair is growing ever so slowly, and different shades of gray. MO only believes in using Biotin (and said that it may not work but wont do any harm). Your great pics just made me feel better and realize I have to be patient!!! 

Now being patient with my stiffness/muscle and bone aches is another story!!!

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

My hair came back after taxol but has definitely thinned again, more on letrozole than anastrozole. I take biotin and use nioxin hair products but am more comfortable wearing a hat these days. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Wish all of you will have hair looking like MamaOz rather than mine!

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592

Momaoz, Your hair looks great! When did you dye your hair? I just read you shouldn’t dye your hair until after 6 months because it can be harsh on new growth. Unfortunately I read that after I dyed my hair, about 5 months after chemo. I’m hoping I didn’t do any damage.

• Stellawt57
    Stellawt57 Member Posts: 65

Suzy Shackle, I'm with you with the nap about 2 in the afternoon I'm out of energy and need to rejuvenate. I've never had the need before. I haven't slept well at night for many years so not getting a good nights sleep since my dx and tx is not new to me. But, needing a nap is new! I take 15mg of melatonin each night and will up it to 20 soon. Prior to my dx I also was seeing a rheumatologist for my osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in both knees and shoulders along with carpal tunnel in my left wrist with trigger finger in the left thumb. He injected steroids into each joints and the tx lasted for 3-4 months. Once I started my ansastrozole

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

I colored @7 1/2 months after I endedchemo

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29

I liked this quote: "Hair is like money—you can never have enough."

• Zupozi99
    Zupozi99 Member Posts: 2

hi ladies,

My prescribed Arimidex dosage is 1 mg.

I want to know if that's the usual dosage.

Thanks for feedback.

• hikinglady

That's my dosage. My MO says that it's the tested dosage which has been shown to reduce recurrences for E+ breast cancer in post-menopausal women, through the many years it's been in treatment protocols.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 119

I'm taking the generic, anastrozole. That is my dosage. 1MG x 1/day

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

same dosage for me as well.

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592

My prescription is also 1 mg.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I think there is only 1 dosage weight - 1 mg.

HUGS!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

1mg, once a day for me, too.

• Carpediem56
    Carpediem56 Member Posts: 35

Same for me! BUt mo told me not to start it until after my scheduled vacation ! Grrr! What's that about? SE!!

• hikinglady

My MO said the same thing: to wait to start my AI until after my fun trip. He wanted to make sure that I enjoyed my scheduled vacation trip, without worrying about a new medication and whatever it might do to me. In fact, when I started Anastrozole, I was sleepy for a few days. It totally went away after 1-2 weeks. But, I'm glad I didn't have that going on while on a nice vacation....

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

I posted back on 5/30 of upcoming Dexa scan. I had it on 6/7, and my spine has decreased but still in normal range; my forearm has also decreased and is still in normal range; my hip has decreased and is now listed as having Osteopenia.

10 year fracture risk: Major Osteoporotic Fracture 7.6%; Hip Fracture 0.6%.

I see my MO in July. Guessing we'll be discussing treatment. I workout 3 to 5x a week, and I do heavy weight bearing exercises. So I'm thinking exercise alone isn't going to help me. I also take calcium supplements w D. I'm blaming it on Anastrozole.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

cindy, I agree. A conversation is in order and let us know. Silly question, I had dexa scan almost 2 years ago. Hip and femur. You mentioned spine, forearm. How is it decided on what body part to scan?

Today is my one year anniversary of the little 1 mg pill. I had a spell about 7 months in. Could not move well at all in the evenings. Switched to teva brand in February. I honestly think part of it was the cold winter months.

Running 2- 3 miles a day 5 days a week. 2nd fastest ever 5 k for me last month at 56 which I find funny. Resistance training 3-4 also. So far so good. Guessing I have 9 more years to go but not looking past tomorrow. Best wishes to everyone as we navigate this breast cancer bitch.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

Yes, one pill one day at a time. Been on name brand 1 mg Arimidex for 2 years and 1 month. Prolia injections for two years but slightly worse osteoporosis in both femoral necks. Spine and hips ok. Meeting with MO next week for another injection and to find out why my numbers are not moving in the other direction. Another flippin’ thing to worry about. Hugs to all!

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370

I have been on Anastrazole for almost a year. My baseline bone scan showed Osteopenia. My MO wanted me to begin the Prolia injections. I asked for a year before going on Prolia. I wanted a chance to care for my bones myself. I started a supplement regimen that includes Calcium, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Vitamin B3,6,9. I did not begin working out on a regular basis like I had planned. Ihad my bone scan on June 3 and my appointment with my MO on June 10. I was prepared to begin Prolia. I had been to my dentist to plan for having my upper wisdom teeth out before I began Prolia.

My bone scan came back improved. The osteopenia is reversed. My bone density has improved!

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147

Yes. That's the standard dosage for everyone with bc. I take 1 mg every other day because of the SEs, as prescribed by my oncologist. Now, if you're taking it for infertility, take 5. Really! It's another use for this drug.