Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Rectal issues

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2014
    Options

Not sure these links will be helpful, but perhaps there is something in there new?!:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects...

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/during_...

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2014
    Options

Also, you may want to visit this thread, discussing constipation related to treatment drugs. 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/78...

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited March 2014
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited April 2014
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited April 2014
    Options

BUMP, A common issue hope it helps

• sas-schatzi
    edited May 2014
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2014
    Options

bump

• Inky
    Inky Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2014
    Options

I haven't had this issue, but I've been impressed with MosaicLife products for other SEs. Perhaps this product could be helpful to some out there (even if it was designed more for issues that arise from radiotherapy than from chemotherapy).

http://www.mosaiclife.co.uk/product/gutlife-cream/

This thread reminds me just how much I miss Jill Thut.

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited July 2014
    Options

bump Even though I seem to be better now I did have issues like those described here after coming out of the hospital last year (3 month stay) while in the hospital they kept me regular once I came out I had diarreah on and off until my GP ordered labs and prescribed levothorixine after tweeking with it we finally settled on .075 mgm and that has stopped the dia I also stay away from dairy products as much as possible. The "itchness" still there I wipe with baby wipes. Keep bumping this thread as it would have been helpful back then.

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited July 2014
    Options

try the. Blue bidet from amazon and  tucks.  It really helps with itchinessr

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2014
    Options

Jill has since passed awhile ago now, Love you Jill,

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2014
    Options

Regretfully, need to add another reason for rectal itch. Eczema. There are several conditions that affect the vulva and rectal area, that fall under the classification of Eczema. Lichen Planus, Lichen dermatitis, Lichen sclerosus and more. Psoriasis can be a culprit too. They present much like a yeast infection. But when biopsied a definitive dx is made. The treatment is topical steroid. I have found bag balm is very good adjunct. There are multiple sources for info on the internet. I'm linking to the Harvard one b/c I liked it the best, but there are many sources.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2008/November/Managing_common_vulvar_skin_conditions

Some predisposing factors: Hypothyroid, autoimmune dysfunction, allergic response, adrenal stress(right up our alley), history of frequent antibiotics, IBD, reduced immune state from chemo, and more. When Jill and I were posting here this wasn't on my radar. Since RAI-131 treatment for Thyroid cancer, trust me it's been on my radar. It's incredibly uncomfortable, but I had a clue right away. I had the DX of Lichen sclerosus from last summer. It was an incidental finding when I asked Derm doc to do a vulva exam. It wasn't bothering me then, but after Rai whew. Wish we'd known about it when Jill was here. Never know, may have been the source of her problem.

Some things I learned. Not all Dermatologist Docs are used to doing vulva/rectal exams. Seems like it should be part of a head-to-toe exam. It may or may not be depending on the Derm. After my Derm doc scared the bejebbers out of me with yet another cancer scare, she tells me it's not her usual modis operandi and suggested going to a GYN doc. Sure wish she'd said that up front. Thyroid and vulva bx's were coming back on the same day. She didn't relate that it wasn't her usual thing, until we were going over the results.

When I first searched it after initial problem after Rai, not much was coming up. Now oodles. A best approach for dx is a GYN doc that has experience. Ask prior to making an appointment. If it isn't controlled, seek out a Vulva clinic. See info in the Harvard link.  Asking that a dermpatholigist read the biopsy is  within reason. It is mentioned in multiple sources.

Hope this helps Sassy

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2014
    Options

Did a look back at all the posts here. All of us that were posting, were keying in on a GI as the origin of the problem. It can be a two for one problem. Jill had a hemorrhoid and had all the treatments for that, but she still had an undiagnosed "something".  Not sure a GI or PCP doc would think eczema or psoriasis. Plus, so much can stir up this condition when other things are happening.

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 184
    edited September 2014
    Options

Miralax is expensive over the counter. 

My gastroenterologist prescribes it and it's a lot cheaper.  It is called polyethelyne glycol.

He also tellsme to take metamucil with it in order for the stool to form for easy passing.  Metamucil is not available through prescription, so I get the store brand.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2014
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2015
    Options

Bump

• bcfighter2014
    bcfighter2014 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

Try sitting on an ice pack. The ice will shrink hemorrhoid. Also, witch hazel will help for pain.

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited January 2015
    Options

oh Jill, wish you were here

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2015
    Options

yes ebru , I miss Jill too. I used to have rectal issues. This is what works for me. Every time I have a bm I rinse with a portable blue bidet. (From Amazon $10.). Then I wipe with tucks. Then I take one lomotil. ,I never use toilet paper unless I don't have my bidet with me.

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2015
    Options

bbd1 and stagefree---so miss Jill too. We were kind of goofy when she started this thread. I have it linked to constipation which I started. We joked at the time that we would talk of such things.

bbd1 I carry a peri bottle with me. it's a 20 oz. bottle. but with it, I still need to use paper. Don't travel much. I have a in house Bidet. Can't use b/c of nozzle--needs to be replaced. Stupid that I haven't done it.

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2015
    Options

Bump, please read from page one :)

• sas-schatzi
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited April 2015
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2016
    Options

Bump, this isn't just an issue for stage 4's, it's universal. Jill would want anyone having problems too post

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Sassy. I didn't even know about this thread and this advice comes at just the right time.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2015
    Options

Littlegoats, I should bump this each time I bump the constipation thread. I think I have a hemorrhoid thing on the constipation thread first page. Lot's of members with ideas on constipation thread for an easier go.

• terrij152
    terrij152 Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've been having problems down there since radiation to my hip/pelvic area. I was getting frequent diarrhea and my hemorrhoids are horrible. They got to the point I was bleeding all weekend. Finally saw a proctologist and he gave me a sample of Recticare, an otc ointment that is 5% lidocaine. It's a bit pricey, but definitely helps! I was worried with all the blood that I'd need surgery, but he gave me one prescription cream and samples of the Recticare. I hope this helps.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2015
    Options

Proctologist are few and far between. The only one I ever knew in surgery had to start each surgery by making paper airplanes. His patients didn't know.

terri, if anyone is going to know about a rectal problem they are worth their weight in__________-

Hope this works for you. Please, comeback and post results for others. Good luck, sorry you are uncomfortable.

Before you put the nice medicine on. Consider sitz bath soaks for 20-30 minutes. Apple or white cider vinegar. Serious bad burn itch --do 1-2 cups in a a basically full sitz, one to two times a day. If you are on maintenance 1/2 -1 cup mixed into the water. I was in the pray to die phase when I remembered vinegar. It was a DUH moment(actually an angel moment). No sitz bath, do a tub bath 2 cups and soak +- 1/2 hour. Vinegar Tub baths do a number on the rest of the skin and hair though.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2015
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2015
    Options

Bump