Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Options

Comments

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2016
    Options

should there be any red lines are indents at all on my skin when I take my new sleeves off? I'm wondering if my custom sleeves are either made in correctly or I'm putting the wrong wrong.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,312
    edited September 2016
    Options

Are you pulling them on all the way and fully smoothing them out? “Donning" gloves and a “slippie” help me immensely, and I don’t get indents. If you haven’t fully smoothed the sleeves out, they could bunch up at the elbow crease

• tsoebbin
    edited September 2016
    Options

thanks Sandy. I'm using a rubber glove to try to smooth it out after I get them in place. Maybe I need to keep working at it. Some of the red marks are done at my wrist so maybe I'm leaving too much of the sleeve in that area?

• chisandy
    edited September 2016
    Options

Are you wearing a gauntlet or glove along with the sleeve? My therapist and LE doc both warned me never to wear a sleeve without one lest I get swollen hands & fingers. You might be leaving too much of the sleeve at your wrist; especially if you’re also wearing hand compression (you might be getting a “double compression” effect, which can be like a mild tourniquet). Some brands of glove or gauntlet compress all the way down to the wrist; others, like LympheDivas, have a small band of no compression in the same spot in order to prevent double compression.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited September 2016
    Options

Some women here wear the sleeve OVER the glove/gauntlet, instead of the other way around to avoid the indentations in the wrist area. Might be worth a try, though it's then not as easy to remove the glove/gauntlet to wash your hands or whatever.

None of this is easy!
    Binney

• tsoebbin
    edited September 2016
    Options

Day 3 was a bit better. Fitter told me to give them a wash a couple times. Hope.that will help even more.

Work them.4.5 hours Today! Making progress.

Thanks for your replies. It's is a challenge.f or sure!

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited September 2016
    Options

Baby steps Tsoebbin. I just tried to add an hour a day. Pretty soon its old hat and no problem. Even though I hate wearing them all the time, it gets better.

• tsoebbin
    edited September 2016
    Options

Day 3 was a bit better. Fitter told me to give them a wash a couple times. Hope.that will help even more.

Work them.4.5 hours Today! Making progress.

Thanks for your replies. It's is a challenge.f or sure!

• tsoebbin
    edited October 2016
    Options

Are Lymphedema sleeves as soft as the juzo soft sleeve? Anyone tried them both and able to compare for me?

One more question... Do you all wear your sleeves every day, or only when you're doing repetitive tasks or heavy you work?

• SusanRachel
    SusanRachel Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2016
    Options

I am short and find the juzo sleeves, even the regular size, are too long. It takes a long time to get all the excess fabric distributed. I find the medi harmony is a much better length. The other plus to the harmony is that it is designed to protect the elbow crease more.

• chisandy
    edited October 2016
    Options

LympheDivas are a tad softer than Juzo. If you’re having trouble getting the excess fabric distributed, try a “donning glove,” warn on the other hand. It has rubber grippers on the palm which help smooth out the fabric, even better than rubber dishwashing gloves. I also found the lightweight white taffeta Juzo “Slippie” donning aid (hooks over a doorknob or coat-hook) works a lot better for me than the crinkly plastic-impregnated ones they use at the PT center. (The Slippie and glove fit in a pocket on my guitar case too). In a pinch, you could use one of those plastic umbrella bags that hotels & hospitals give out in their lobbies—but I found that the “handle” loop on those tears too easily.

• tsoebbin
    edited October 2016
    Options

I like my new juzo... I think it fits well. I love the colors and patterns of the lymphdiva sleeves but wondered if they are as nice. I understand they aren't custom fit so that may be an issue for me but I hope my swelling goes down and they fit me soon.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2016
    Options

Juzo is the only off the shelf sleeve I can wear because of my long arms BUT it's possible that lymphdiva might fit too. I hear they run long. They just don't seem to compress as much IMO

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited October 2016
    Options

Lago, they now have a long length(regular) and a short length. I haven't tried them since they added the short length. They were nice but didn't work for me. I use juzo and Solidea Advanced Micro Massage Bilateral Compression Arm Sleeve.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2016
    Options

Good to know. I miss my old Medi sleeve. With they hadn't discontinued them

• Lucky60
    Lucky60 Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi: I have a pair of leather gardening gloves for lymphedema prevention that I'd like to donate to someone. Got them in 2010 and only worn once. They are for someone with breast cancer on the left side only--the left glove goes up to the bicep (with elastic at top) the right just up to the wrist. They are not real tight, just custom fit leather to my arm and a little stretchy. They're to protect you from getting poked by roses and things. There is one small nick but it doesn't go all the way thru. They are plain light grey leather (soft inside) and were expensive at the time, so I'd like them to go to someone who can use them. I'll cover shipping in the U.S. also. For sizing, my hands are medium, I would say, 5'4" tall and while I'm not overweight, my arms are a little muscular. Please send me a private message if you would like them.

• Lucky60
    Lucky60 Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2016
    Options

As a followup to my prior post, the gloves have now been spoken for. Thanks.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited March 2017
    Options

IMHO, 2 custom made gloves turned my hand blue, and fast.

I ended up with a lightweight FARROW!
    Everyone is different, but..

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi all

Who has tried the lymphediva gloves/ I am a BIG fan, but have not tried the gloves.

Comments, please ?
    THX!

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

Josh Levin reached out to me just as soon as I posted about the loss of my husband as well as the bilateral LE.

He gave me the site

http://rememberbetty.com/grant-application/

All I did was EMAIL the person and got a very generous Gift Cert. for use at lymphevias.com

Josh was very approving of me posting this.

Hope it helps!
    Laurie

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2017
    Options
    purple, I usually wear custom (because that's the only way my hand doesn't back up), but was in a pinch between custom sleeves a while ago and tried the lymphedivas gloves. They're good. For me, the fingertips required some stretching because they were a little tight. The wrist is good because they've made it so there's really no double compression at all. The fabric is nice (if a little thick) and the no seam thing is cool, but I'm guessing because of that I found I had to fiddle with the glove at regular intervals because it kinda twisted/worked its way up my hand so I had folds at the base of my little finger that were uncomfortable. I guess I'm personally still a farrow fan for ots gloves.
  • chisandy
    edited March 2017
    Options

I was prescribed a Mediven Harmony glove, and typing with it was impossible—it was stiff and tight. The Juzo Soft was a bit better. I’d have loved the LympheDivas gloves—ordered one and found the fingers were way too long (extending past the tips of my fingernails). They said they had no plans to offer a shorter size for people with smaller hands and shorter fingers. So I use their gauntlets, which do fit me.

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

The wrist is good because they've made it so there's really no double compression at all.

THX. I like that because my wrist is a problem area for me .

I just wish their gloves were thinner. I too love the Farrow ( for that reason) Wonder if they will come out with compression tanks !

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks very much ChiSandy...nice you can use a gauntlet. I'd love to.

I suspect my hand issue occurred when I was made not one but 2 'custom ' gloves that turned my hand blue!

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2017
    Options

purple: frustrating when you pay good dollars for custom. I call my custom gear my new car, because that's what I would be driving if I didn't have to pay thru the nose for this stupid le stuff. Dang!!!!!

Purple. I pm you. Look under the dog pic for more instructions on what you required from me.

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

Purple. I pm you. Look under the dog pic

Got it! It worked (of course) Thx very much. You are TOO funny!

Bawling Really love the dog.

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

*UPDATE on Lymphediva gloves:

Regarding the finger length, they HAVE made them shorter now! They don't offer multiple lengths, but the new gloves have made improvements on the lengths and the bunching on the pinky finger.

As for the issue with fingers being too tight, theirs are actually the least compressive on the market .

Hope this helps someone.

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2017
    Options

purple, thanks for the update! It's good to know they fixed the bunching issue, it really was annoying and uncomfortable! I'm with you on the possible farrow tanks/vests -have you asked them about it? I asked lymphedivas about whether they had any plans to make tanksrecently and they said no.

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

yw floaton

I do not know. If you asked, I would guess it is on hold. They never said farrow. I said I like farrow gloves.

I love sassybax for tanks and will try to see if they can get any funding.

• purple32
    edited March 2017
    Options

lago Lymphediva has more than 1 class of compression.

Just an FYI.