Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• ann273
    ann273 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2014

Thank you Jillian! It is so kind of you to come back to give us hope. Wishing you many many more healthy and happy years!

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2014

Awesome Jillian!!!  I need to hear from other stage 3 survivors...often!  So glad you shared your story.

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2014

Thank you, Jillian....and congratulations!!!!!!!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2014

hi Jillian thx for posting congratulations an amazing milestone. You do work very hard on your diet and exercise so well done. Just a quick question does the fear ever completely go? I was really positive in early days but fallen in a bit of hole lately

A

• rodeogirl
    rodeogirl Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2014

hi everyone, i had mastectomy 2 weeks ago, and axillary lymph nodes removed 13 out of 20 with cancer. i was wondering how bad chemo really is, as i am petrified about having it, im a real sook and i hate medication. i have estrogen 66% and progesterone 22% positive. 6 out of 9 idc.

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited December 2014

rodeogirl, if I am reading correctly you are er/pr+ her2- grade 2. Thinking stage 3b or 3c.

Chemo kills all your good and bad blood cells. You will feel drained. Also there are plenty of meds out there to help with nausous. The nuelasta shot you have to get the day after every chemo infusion is what I had the problem with. It increases the bone marrow which makes your bones hurt really bad. A hot soak in the bath tub helped me tremendously.

You can do this!!!!

I didn't want to sugar coat what I said, just being as honest as I can about it.

Good luck girl!!!!!!

Michele

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited December 2014

Rodeogirl, we all react to chemo differently.  Some women are fatigued and ill most of the time.  Others breeze through it.  You will find your own way, and how to best take care of yourself.

For myself, I found some things to be helpful--

Exercise.  Exercise.  Exercise.  Even if it's just a walk around the block in the sunshine, get your body moving.  It helps.

Take your anti-nausea drugs before you're nauseated.

Be aware that chemo frequently causes constipation, and be prepared.  I used Miralax, Metamucil, and Colace.  You can buy all of these, cheap, at Costco.

Neulasta gives you bone pain, and taking Claritin (yes, the allergy drug) helps.  A lot.  You can also buy it, cheap "loratadine" at Costco.  Ask you oncologist about it; sometimes they don't tell you, and sometimes they don't know this great tip.

Try to not get too hung up on the hair thing.  It will grow back.  Do what you're comfortable with--a wig, hats, scarves, commando.  I did it all.  Everyone thought I had a nice-shaped head.

Don't spend any time on Dr. Google.  It just scares you for no good reason.  You're in good hands with your own team of physicians.

Ask you oncologist all the questions you want, and write them down if it helps you concentrate. 

It wasn't a picnic at the beach for me, but it wasn't horrendous, either.  I worked full-time and took two or three days off each "round." 

You can do this!  Blessings to you on your road to recovery!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited December 2014

Rodeogirl...Chemo is hard, but it is DOABLE!! There are lots of great threads here for the different kinds of chemo that will be helpful once you start. I had TAC chemo every 3 weeks for 6 rounds...There are many different protocols since I was Dx in 2006. I had chemo on Thursday and took Thursday and Friday off work and generally went back to work on Monday. Drink lots and lots and lots of water. Eat foods that taste good to you... Eat when you are hungry and eat small amounts at a time if that is what works for you. Take all the pre- meds that are Rx for you. Take all the anti-nausea meds that are Rx to stay on top of it. Everybody reacts differently. Listen to your body and rest when you need to during chemo.

Wishing you an easy time through chemo. Sorry that you have to go down the journey, but you found a great place here at bco.

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181
    edited December 2014

Hi,

These days 5 years ago I was given High Stage BC Diagnosis. I was thinking about to let it go without therapies however my son talked me to try. Chemo Taxotere 6 cycles, 30 rads, a year of Herceptin. Hormonal therapy as yet. I suffered with SE,s of Femara, Aromasin caused heard issues. In spite of all at visit MO he stated NED ( no sign of desease) . I'm still scared of recurrence, maybe I' ll extend hormonals.

Wishing to all Merry feast days and all the best in 2015!

Usha from Europe

• fd1
    fd1 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-marie-wilson/10...

Words of wisdom from a 26-year breast cancer survivor. Happy

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2014

Usha, thanks for sharing hope! Fd1, thanks for the link.

• IrishSandy
    IrishSandy Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014

Thank you so much for this thread, I needed it so much right now. Congratulations to all of you 5yr+ survivors. It's been almost a year since my diagnosis and I am nearing the end of my radiation treatment. It's been hard to shake the feeling of dread sometimes. This thread has helped tremendously! Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year to you all.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited December 2014

The positivity of this thread is fantastic. Supporting of newbies and long termers alike is so important and we want to thank you all for your feedback and postings. Hope is so important to those starting this journey.

The Mods

• Jill900
    Jill900 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2015

I'm not quite at five years yet, but I'm inching ever closer to that milestone! I have a coworker that just completed treatment, and another coworker that has a sister still in treatment, so I find myself thinking about it and talking about it more than I want to lately.

Anyway, on January 13th I reached 3 years, 7 months and it was a big deal because it was the FIRST time I hadn't thought about clicking off another month. Someone just asked me how long it was for me and I thought about it and then realized I'd hit another month at that moment. That was a big deal for me! I am actually looking forward to my next appointment with my oncologist. I can't wait to tell him I'm busy being one of his success stories!

So, things are almost normal-my blood counts continue to hover around low normal to just slightly below normal, and the chemo ate my eyebrows and they don't appear to ever be coming back....but hey, my mammograms have been normal, and everyday I get to be a part of is a good day. I'm counting on making 5 years!

• moderators
    edited January 2015

Dear Jill, Welcome to the BCO community and thank you so much for sharing your story. Stories like yours are so valuable to newbies and longer term members here on the discussion boards. We hope you will stay connected here, lend your voice and experiences and seek support when needed. Best wishes to you. The Mods

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2015

Jillian we are DX sisters, so special thanks from me for your post. I was also 47 at DX, by the way.

• karen1956
    edited February 2015

Today marks 9 years since I heard those dreaded words!!! Nerdy I'm not the same person I was before diagnosis, but then again, I'm 9 years older!! Anymore its hard to tell what is from all the treatments and what is from age. I am grateful for each day. I have seen my children grow for 9 years!!! My youngest was in 2nd grade when I was diagnosed. She is now a junior in high school and looking at colleges. My son was a junior in high school and now he is 25 and finishing university (finally)!! and my oldest daughter was in college and is now 28, a college graduate and married.

During these 9 years, with my youngest daughter, I celebrated her Bat Mitzvah, watched her finish middle school, get her drivers license as well as all the other milestones and events of a typical teenager...and now we are planning for post high school education....I've seen my son finish high school, travel to Hawaii and to Israel (3 times) and will soon graduate university and is applying for internships and jobs. I've attended my oldest daughter's college graduation and danced at her wedding Smile

The year after finish chemo, in the summer of 2007 my husband, younger daughter and I went to Israel for 2 weeks to celebrate life!! Since then, I've been 3 more times. In 2010, I went with my oldest daughter to participate in the RFTC. In 2011 I spent almost 4 weeks and in 2012 I spent almost 5 weeks and volunteered on an Army base!! G-d willing I will go back this coming summer.

I went from working full time to working 3 days/week. I have time for me to do whatever my heart desires!!! Life is good :)

I've met several "sistahs" here on fb that live all over the world and I've had the good fortune to meet several of them in person.

So, there is life after breast cancer!!!

Looking forward to continuing to growing old. Winking Karen

• Bec65
    edited February 2015

Karen1956, CONGRATULATIONS! Our diagnoses are similar, so this makes me especially glad to hear your good news! I have three kids as well (one in HS and two in college). May you have many more joyful years, and thank you so much for sharing!

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2015

Congratulations Karen. It's great to hear from the long term survivors and to know that there is a life after breast cancer. You'rean inspiration.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited February 2015

Congratulations Karen - it's fabulous to see how well you are doing! Thanks for coming back and sharing.

I'm about to reach 4 years post diagnosis.  Life is pretty good.  I don't think about BC every day like I used to.  I keep up my doctor appointments, have my regular mammograms, ultrasounds, oncology check ups etc.  I was changed from Tamoxifen to Examestane + ovarian suppression as a result of the SOFT study.  I'm scheduled for ovary removal (oophorectomy) in a months time.  I will keep doing what the doctors tell me and hope for my health and NED status to continue for a LONG LONG time.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited February 2015

Karen, thank you so much for posting!!  Congratulations and keep on living full-speed ahead!

• TuffMama
    TuffMama Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2015

I'm so glad I found all these wonderful posts! I'm only one year post BMX, but so far so good. I will keep reading to boost my spirits and reassure myself that I am equal to anything life throws at me. My name says it all. :-)

• laylaL0508192314
    laylaL0508192314 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015

I am stage 3 breast cancer .I found about it 2 months ago .I am reaĺy scared.

• moderators
    edited February 2015

Hugs to you laylaL, We are all here for you, and understand how scary it is. Tell us more about yourself. Are you in treatment?

• Gabriel99
    Gabriel99 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015

Hi anybody here with ER - PR + and her2 - ?

• karen1956
    edited February 2015

LaylaL....I'm glad that you found bco...it is a great place. I'm 9 years out since Dx...there is light at the end of the tunnel. Please ask questions and let us know how we can help you. The gals here are a wealth of information. Karen

• PJfive
    PJfive Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015

Layla your not alone. I too was DX stage 3 two months ago. Between surgeries and various appointments and screenings I've spent the time since trying to absorb as much information that I can so I can beat this horrible disease. I'm starting chemo Wed. the 25th and getting very nervous but this site helps alot.I feel I have learned more from these people than I have from my doctors. I would like to thank all the women and men, patient and caregiver, past and present on this website. You people are amazing. Your wisdom, courage and strength literally leaps off the screen. Yes it is true that this is a unique club that no one would want to voluntarily join but I am honored to be among your ranks. All of you are truely an inspiration to us newbies and I hope that some day I can be as inspiring to someone else as you have been to me.

Thank you all and God Bless.

PJ

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015

Hello stage 3 sisters,

I'm a little late posting this, but Feb 18th marked 11 years NED for me! Honestly, it's been so long now that the only thought I had on that date was to make sure I came back here to post. So, yes, the chronic sense of fear DOES subside in time. Of course I know that I'm never really out of the woods completely, and I have lasting side effects from treatment to remind me daily of what I went through, but the main thought that I have now is just a huge sense of gratitude to have made it this far. I couldn't know in 2004 that I would be back to post this in 2015; in fact, I probably would've guessed not - but here I am, and therefore, it can be the same for you. As long as I remain NED, I will be back every year to post, because I know what it meant to me and how important it was to keep hearing it. Hugs to all!!

Melanie

• Bec65
    edited March 2015

mpetago, thank you so much for coming back! It really does mean a lot to those of us still in our early years. Congratulations!

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited March 2015

Congrats Melanie. Thank you for posting and keep on keeping on!