Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited October 2014

So happy for you Nancy!!!!

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited October 2014

Nancy - Thanks for sharing!   (((Hugs)))

• CurlyKatFL
    CurlyKatFL Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2014

10 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't posted in a couple years and I am sorry about that but you all
    would be glad that it was because I was living life. This site and the sisters
    I met here were so important to me for a number of years and I wanted to
    come back and let everyone know, there is a life after Stage 3 breast
    cancer.

I remember being diagnosed in 2004 and my kids were all in middle and high
    school. When they told me that I also had cancer in my lymph nodes, I was so
    worried I would not see them graduate or any of their other milestones. But I have seen them all graduate
    high school and university. I have seen my oldest get married. My career is
    still on track and my husband has been a champ. I no longer take any meds. I
    finally don't have to see my oncologist for a year.

Take heart ladies. It’s a long, hard battle but it can be won.

Much love,

Kathy

• peacestrength
    edited October 2014

Kathy, thank you for coming back and posting!

• Warrior2014
    Warrior2014 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2014

Oh,  Kathy.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Congratulations on your health and your ten-year milestone!  I'll look forward to hearing from you on the twentieth!  Wondering if you radically changed anything after your treatments...diet...exercise...pH...etc???  

My best,

Warrior

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited October 2014

Thank you, Kathy, and congratulations!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited October 2014

Kathy...congrats on 10 years!!!

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited October 2014

Thanks Kathy, I love it when I hear such great news like yours. Congratulations.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited October 2014

Kathy, congratulations on your 10 year milestone and for your inspiring post.

Here's to many many more.

The mods

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2014

Thank you for coming back to post Kathy!!! Congrats!

• mamabee
    mamabee Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2014

Thank you to all the wonderful women who come back to post their stories! I can't tell you how many times I've visited this thread and I always come away feeling peace and with a big smile on my face. Rock on ladies!

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2014

Thanks Kathy....Love this thread !!!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2014

Kathy, thank you and may you have many more happy, healthy decades.

• Leslie1962
    Leslie1962 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2014

After my diagnosis in 2009 I am happy to say that my Oncologist informed me today that I am no longer an Oncology patient! I got a big bear hug and was sent on my way. My team of care givers at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI are an awesome group of people.

• Warrior2014
    edited November 2014

Oh, wonderful news,  Leslie!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!  Yay!!!!  

Best wishes for continued health, sister!

Warrior

• Bec65
    edited November 2014

Congratulations, Leslie!

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November 2014

Leslie, so wonderful to hear such good news! I'm so happy for you and thanks for giving me hope for the same.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited November 2014

Congrats, Leslie! Such wonderful news. We wish you many, many years of continued good health!

The Mods

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2014

So great to hear Leslie, especially since I have almost the same exact diagnosis as you.

• kimber3006
    kimber3006 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2014

Hello all! I've been waiting a loooonnnng time to come back and post on this thread that gave me so much hope back in those scary early days! Five years ago when I was diagnosed with stage III, I had a four year old preschooler that giggled, "Mama looks like a boy!" when we buzzed my hair in preparation for it falling out with chemo. My cancer was unusually fast growing and I was terrified I might not get to see him graduate from kindergarten. He's now a big fourth grader - almost as tall as my shoulder! I don't have any grand advise. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and seek out the silver linings, the little bright spots in every day. Love, hugs and hope to all of you!

• Bec65
    edited November 2014

Thank you, kimber3006, for dropping in to share your milestone! Congratulations!

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2014
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Kimber3006 for coming back and posting to us. The earliest days are the worst. Congratulations on your 5 year milestone.
  • peacestrength
    edited November 2014

Kimber3006, I so appreciate your posting...5 years...AWESOME! 

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November 2014

Wonderful news Kimber, thanks so much for sharing, l love hearing the 5 year and out stories!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2014

10 years for me!  I was diagnosed on Nov 5th, 2004.  Stage 3 ILC with 9+ nodes and a HUGE mass in my right breast.  I also had nodes that were matted together.  I did chemo before and after a bilateral mastectomy with the right side being a radical.  My chemo was TAC x 4 and then TAC x 2.  I did 30 rads with every other one using a bolus.  I was 47 at the time I was diagnosed and premeno.  Chemo threw me into menopause.  I did 10 months of tamoxifen and then switched to 2 years of Arimidex.  I have been on Femara ever since and at this point I will probably continue with it as long as my bone density holds up.  My side effects are not bad at all on it.

That's my story and I am sticking with it!  There is always hope. :)

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2014

Thanks for coming back Jillian777!!!

• Warrior2014
    edited November 2014

Hi, Jillian!!! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. Congratulations on health!!!!! Yay, you!!! Our stories are eerily similar...I LOVE getting positive stories of hope!!! Best, Warrior

• Warrior2014
    edited November 2014

PS--Jillian--- any substantial changes in diet, exercise, supplements, stress-eduction, etc., following your diagnosis?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2014

Hey Warrior.  The only change I made to my diet is way fewer carbohydrates than I used to eat.  I try to stay below 35 or so grams a day.  I eat a lot of "clean" protein and always try to eat organic, free range, hormone free, when available.  I eat a lot of fresh veggies and those are ALWAYS organic.  I don't do supplements other than calcium, vitamin D and magnesium.  I have always been a bit of a gym rat so yes, I do a cardio workout five times a week.  I do a total of 25K a week.  My gyn thinks this is why my bone health is so good despite being on an AI for nine years.

That's pretty much what I do in a nutshell.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jillian

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited November 2014

Hi Jillian...congrats on 10 years....I'm looking forward to hitting double digits in a couple years...I also had TAC chemo....but quit AI's after 3 1/2 years due to QOL issues and side effects... Wishing you many more years of celebrating!!! Karen